When you're anti-social....

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 RavenSnow

RavenSnow
  • 70 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

When you're an anti-social asocial person on an internet forum, how do you increase your post count without spamming the forum with useless posts?

In my case, you find the general chat area, and ask the populace about how you increase your post count, when you're an anti-social asocial person :p

Seriously though, I find this a lot in communities I'm a member of. I enjoy reading people's posts, I enjoy sharing resources (or buying them) but I'm not so comfortable taking part verbally (or through the written word, in the case of internet communities). Even in a group of my close friends, I'm more inclined to sit back and listen, offering my opinions only when asked.

Does anyone here feel similar? Pure curiosity (and the desire to up my post count :p)

Raven x

Edit: Thanks to  LanaDelGay for teaching me a new word! <3

Antisocial: not sociable or wanting the company of others.

Asocial: avoiding social interaction; inconsiderate of or hostile to others (Not too much the second half of that)

“Asocial” suggests indifference to or separation from society, whereas “antisocial” more often suggests active hostility toward society.

Edited by RavenSnow, 23 June 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#2 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

I definitely enjoy lurking over posting. If you don't feel as though you have anything to contribute in your own post, you can always just quote and reply to people's posts. 'Good post chap'. 'Solid post buddy'. Or is that spamming? I'm not sure. :(

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

asocial*

#4 RavenSnow

RavenSnow
  • 70 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:41 PM

I definitely enjoy lurking over posting. If you don't feel as though you have anything to contribute in your own post, you can always just quote and reply to people's posts. 'Good post chap'. 'Solid post buddy'. Or is that spamming? I'm not sure. :(

I don't know if that would be considered spamming to be honest, the term seems to vary depending on which forum you're on. Maybe it would depend on the type of thread or how often you do it? 

At least I'm not the only person who prefer's lurking though ^_^

asocial*

OOOOooooo! Thank you! I went and googled Antisocial vs Asocial. I love learning new words, and you're absolutely right, asocial fts me much better. ^_^ <3

#5 rei

rei
  • 119 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:46 PM

I feel you. It took me so long to reach 100 posts needed to get access to the hidden FR chat. Are you looking to get access to it as well? What I did was try and be active in the public FR subforum since I don't play Neopets, as well as post in the general chat from time to time.

#6 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:11 PM

I feel the same way. I prefer to lurk over post. Also, anything I feel like contributing is usually posted by someone else before me, so me posting is kind of pointless.

I don't really care too much about my post count.

#7 RavenSnow

RavenSnow
  • 70 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

I feel you. It took me so long to reach 100 posts needed to get access to the hidden FR chat. Are you looking to get access to it as well? What I did was try and be active in the public FR subforum since I don't play Neopets, as well as post in the general chat from time to time.

You. Read. My. Mind. Yes, primarily my post count concern if for the FR chat. If it counted my PM's I'd probably be more than there by now, but nope. Still in the 60's >.<

I feel the same way. I prefer to lurk over post. Also, anything I feel like contributing is usually posted by someone else before me, so me posting is kind of pointless.

I don't really care too much about my post count.

Exactly! I think of something and.... oh, ok it's already been done. lol.... I don't normally worry about post counts either to be fair, but there's a FR subform/hidden chat that has intrigued me ever since I heard about it, and I want in damn it! lol :D

Plus, besides that, Neocodex community always seems to bloody friendly, I almost feel like I'm missing out by not joining in on threads. All the PM conversations I've had on here, one on one with people have been fantastic, trading has been a joy... a small, tiny, whispering part of me keeps pushing the back of my brain to dig into the community a bit more, but I'm not so good at that :p

#8 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:30 PM

I don't wanna sound like a creep but your profile picture looks super familiar. 

#9 RavenSnow

RavenSnow
  • 70 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:25 AM

I don't wanna sound like a creep but your profile picture looks super familiar. 

Your Signature says you were previously Aria..... I THINK we've spoken previously, but my memory's not the greatest so I didn't want to assume :p

#10 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2017 - 04:44 AM

Yup.. I know that feeling.. I'm mostly a lurker on pretty much every website/forum I visit lol. Woohoo, anxiety!

#11 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

Your Signature says you were previously Aria..... I THINK we've spoken previously, but my memory's not the greatest so I didn't want to assume :p

I've been around the community since early 2010 so if you've been around here or Zombians or DZ then you probably know me. 

#12 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:14 AM

I totally get you. I am actually a pretty social person overall, yet I still catch myself just lurking a lot of the time. When I started up on ZB a few years ago, that was the first forum I ever became really active on, and that took me like a solid year of lurking first. I found that at a certain point, if you wanna start joining the conversation more just dive in! I almost had to force myself to post a few times a day, at least to start out.

#13 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

I totally get you. I am actually a pretty social person overall, yet I still catch myself just lurking a lot of the time. When I started up on ZB a few years ago, that was the first forum I ever became really active on, and that took me like a solid year of lurking first. I found that at a certain point, if you wanna start joining the conversation more just dive in! I almost had to force myself to post a few times a day, at least to start out.

Weird how that works, I'm extremely anti social, but here I'm pretty social and even made a couple friends. 

#14 RavenSnow

RavenSnow
  • 70 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2017 - 11:22 AM

That's pretty much where I find myself now, forcing myself to post.... then I spend an hour worrying over how useless the content probably was hahaha I'm terrible! >.<

#15 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

I was really asocial when I first joined Codex. It took until the last couple years for me to start posting. And I am still insecure as fuck about posting here lmao. I'm awkward as fuck and I constantly need to remind myself that my insecurities are probably irrational and that most people here probably don't think I'm annoying lol. 

It's hard to reassure yourself that you're allowed to take up space. You've already made a huge step by creating a thread. You should feel proud of yourself for that. Just keep making threads and posting. 

#16 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:04 PM

I still run ideas for topics by other members until a few people tell me to post it. I've been here forever.

#17 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

I still run ideas for topics by other members until a few people tell me to post it. I've been here forever.

I just YOLO it and hope I don't act too socially retarded.

Either everyone's too kind to say it to my face, or I'm just overly paranoid about everything. 

#18 Cnourinha

Cnourinha
  • 179 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

You just described me! 
I've been here for over a year, and just now that I decided to participate more, but I'm still insecure to post and start a conversation... 

#19 Generic

Generic
  • 352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

I mean, case and point, I've checked Neocodex once a day all week yet my last post was the one in this thread like a week ago. Ironic :p

Edited by Generic, 03 July 2017 - 09:49 PM.

#20 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:02 PM

I lurk way more than I post but I also post occasionally. Idk I just post on random things that pertain to me or I find interesting? Enter contests that raises your posts.

#21 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 12 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

It took me like, 5 years to even be remotely active for this reason. 

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Y'all motherfuckers worry too much. Most people won't care if you make an ass of yourself. Posting online isn't like real life - you can even edit things you already said!

And besides, with all the inane shit that's around here these days, how hard is it to post a picture of your knees?

#23 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 July 2017 - 08:03 PM

It's a hell of a lot easier with an active forum.  But really, just post.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  Just mostly on-topic and not rule-breaking.

#24 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:35 AM

Y'all motherfuckers worry too much. Most people won't care if you make an ass of yourself. Posting online isn't like real life - you can even edit things you already said!

And besides, with all the inane shit that's around here these days, how hard is it to post a picture of your knees?

Most people wouldn't even know if they were really your knees or not.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

EXACTLY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users