Photo

How privileged are you?!

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#26 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:27 PM

51 points out of 100 for me. 

I'm Jewish, a woman, and have been poor. I was actually expecting less points. 

I didn't know you're jewish. that's pretty neat. 

#27 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:31 PM

Forgot 'above the poverty line' which is where I think they get most of my oppression score from.

Eh. I mean, being rich is obviously privilege, but I would count it differently from the other kinds because it's more controllable.

#28 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:34 PM

Eh. I mean, being rich is obviously privilege, but I would count it differently from the other kinds because it's more controllable.

To an extent, if you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth I doubt you're exactly eager to pull it out. 

#29 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:37 PM

That thought process does a lot for hungry children.

#30 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:39 PM

To an extent, if you're born with a silver spoon in your mouth I doubt you're exactly eager to pull it out. 

Right, and it does influence your early life when you consider parental wealth - even at just a working- vs middle-class level.

I suppose I think about privilege more as acting where going against the status quo infers a disadvantage, rather than where being one of the "priviliged few" grants an advantage. I'm obviously not saying that rich people don't get a headstart in life :p

That thought process does a lot for hungry children.

Ok?

#31 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:44 PM

Right, and it does influence your early life when you consider parental wealth - even at just a working- vs middle-class level.

I suppose I think about privilege more as acting where going against the status quo infers a disadvantage, rather than where being one of the "priviliged few" grants an advantage. I'm obviously not saying that rich people don't get a headstart in life :p

Ok?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your thought processes? I don't understand how an eight year old that eats glue cause they're hungry Is supposed to change their situation.

#32 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:48 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your thought processes? I don't understand how an eight year old that eats glue cause they're hungry Is supposed to change their situation.

Over time, and more easily than they can stop being a girl or a latina, that's for sure.

Like I've said twice already, I'm not saying that wealth doesn't confer privilege, just that I think of it as a different sort of privilege.

#33 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 03:49 PM

Over time, and more easily than they can stop being a girl or a latina, that's for sure.

Like I've said twice already, I'm not saying that wealth doesn't confer privilege, just that I think of it as a different sort of privilege.

Do you feel like you're privileged by being able to think of it as a different kind of privilege?
(That's not a loaded question btw)

#34 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:05 PM

Do you feel like you're privileged by being able to think of it as a different kind of privilege?
(That's not a loaded question btw)

I mean, sure, so far as I'm sufficiently privileged to be able to use the internet and have conversations about concepts that no longer affect me personally.

Do you feel that my privilege invalidates my perspective?

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:06 PM

I mean, sure, so far as I'm sufficiently privileged to be able to use the internet and have conversations about concepts that no longer affect me personally.

Do you feel that my privilege invalidates my perspective?

No, I was just being nosy.

#36 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:10 PM

No, I was just being nosy.

So do you think there's any difference between financial privilege and racial privilege?

#37 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:17 PM

So do you think there's any difference between financial privilege and racial privilege?

Not really, but I haven't spent any meaningful time thinking about it til the last ten minutes or so.

#38 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:22 PM

Not really, but I haven't spent any meaningful time thinking about it til the last ten minutes or so.

Have you come up with any reasons for the way you think in the past ten minutes or so? :p

#39 Muirex

Muirex
  • 108 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:23 PM

68/100 for me o:

Some of the questions are kinda odd though. 

#40 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:29 PM

Have you come up with any reasons for the way you think in the past ten minutes or so? :p

Well, yeah, but I hate posting controversial thoughts lol

Poverty and hunger at a young age can lead to life long mental disability, which continues over generations as nutritionally deplete mothers have nutritionally deplete spawn. That's the whole reason WIC even exists- to combat iron and protein deficiencies (and subsequent handicap idk what the pc term is currently) in poor people, but it's not possible for women and children to take advantage of things like that sometimes. You can't fix that any more easily than you can fix any of the other things on your list.

68/100 for me o:
Some of the questions are kinda odd though.

Are you an American?

#41 Muirex

Muirex
  • 108 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:38 PM

Are you an American?

I am! I come from a family of immigrants, so culturally for me is a little different than I guess what the test is going for? I thought some of them were kinda leading as well, if that makes sense.

#42 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:40 PM

I am! I come from a family of immigrants, so culturally for me is a little different than I guess what the test is going for? I thought some of them were kinda leading as well, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I think the test writer had certain sets of people in mind when they made it.

#43 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:43 PM

Well, yeah, but I hate posting controversial thoughts lol

Poverty and hunger at a young age can lead to life long mental disability, which continues over generations as nutritionally deplete mothers have nutritionally deplete spawn. That's the whole reason WIC even exists- to combat iron and protein deficiencies (and subsequent handicap idk what the pc term is currently) in poor people, but it's not possible for women and children to take advantage of things like that sometimes. You can't fix that any more easily than you can fix any of the other things on your list.

You made a thread about privilege - you should've been expecting to talk about it :p

I see your point, though. Childhood poverty definitely can have lasting effects on someone's life beyond the superficial, but I disagree that it's not easier to "fix" than racial discrimination.

"Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" is obviously ridiculous - not everyone is capable of climbing their way up from nothing to being a multimillionaire, especially considering the barriers to progress that poverty creates. I do, though, believe that anyone can be capable of improving their situation in life. And that's really the core of the difference for me; the privilege of wealth is inferred by the nature of wealth itself, whereas the benefit of white male Christianity is a product of the sociopolitical climate of America.

#44 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:49 PM

You made a thread about privilege - you should've been expecting to talk about it :p

I see your point, though. Childhood poverty definitely can have lasting effects on someone's life beyond the superficial, but I disagree that it's not easier to "fix" than racial discrimination.

"Pulling yourself up by your bootstraps" is obviously ridiculous - not everyone is capable of climbing their way up from nothing to being a multimillionaire, especially considering the barriers to progress that poverty creates. I do, though, believe that anyone can be capable of improving their situation in life. And that's really the core of the difference for me; the privilege of wealth is inferred by the nature of wealth itself, whereas the benefit of white male Christianity is a product of the sociopolitical climate of America.

NGL was hoping this would be one of those answer with no discussion threads because it's a quiz.

Sure, but improving your Situation could be anything. Going from deep poverty to borderline poverty is a huge difference, but its still poverty. Is the benefit of wealth not part of the sociopolitical climate of American capitalism?
And I guess if you're starving, you don't really worry about discrimination and stigma too much anyway til it comes up actively.

#45 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:01 PM

NGL was hoping this would be one of those answer with no discussion threads because it's a quiz.

Sure, but improving your Situation could be anything. Going from deep poverty to borderline poverty is a huge difference, but its still poverty. Is the benefit of wealth not part of the sociopolitical climate of American capitalism?
And I guess if you're starving, you don't really worry about discrimination and stigma too much anyway til it comes up actively.

That's probably why people be hitting top poster when they accidentally fart on their keyboard :p

And you're right, you can't just swing from broke to flush and pick your place on the totem pole... but you can change it period. You can't do that with your skin colour or gender at all.

I don't think the benefit of wealth is based on social concepts - the idea of capitalistic wealth itself is, but once that's (basically) universally accepted as a method for exchanging goods and services then you get what you get. You're not unable to pay for that trip to Cancun because the airline thinks your money's not good enough, you just can't meet the contracted price.

#46 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:02 PM

That's probably why people be hitting top poster when they accidentally fart on their keyboard :p

And you're right, you can't just swing from broke to flush and pick your place on the totem pole... but you can change it period. You can't do that with your skin colour or gender at all.
I don't think the benefit of wealth is based on social concepts - the idea of capitalistic wealth itself is, but once that's (basically) universally accepted as a method for exchanging goods and services then you get what you get. You're not unable to pay for that trip to Cancun because the airline thinks your money's not good enough, you just can't meet the contracted price.

Shhhh I'm riding the thrill of being the top poster today.

I suppose this is a bad time for a Michael Jackson reference?

#47 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:06 PM

Shhhh I'm riding the thrill of being the top poster today.

I suppose this is a bad time for a Michael Jackson reference?

MJ got a lot of hate for his problems with vitiligo.

There are also people who have gender reassignment surgery, but they are probably not good examples of privilege either :p

#48 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:10 PM

MJ got a lot of hate for his problems with vitiligo.
There are also people who have gender reassignment surgery, but they are probably not good examples of privilege either :p

Like mrs Jenner?
I feel like some of these people might be examples of a pick two chart.

#49 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

Like mrs Jenner?
I feel like some of these people might be examples of a pick two chart.

I mean, picking people who are famous kind of skews the picture a little bit because they're already privileged in a lot of ways aside from race/gender. We all know that you can do basically whatever you want if you've got the money to back it up with!

#50 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 June 2018 - 05:12 PM

I mean, picking people who are famous kind of skews the picture a little bit because they're already privileged in a lot of ways aside from race/gender. We all know that you can do basically whatever you want if you've got the money to back it up with!

Cause they got that wealth privilege

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users