• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:08 PM

(( I think we used to have a thread for this but hasn't been used in a while? Correct me if I am wrong ))

With that, I want to know as indicated in the title, what are you reading?

Do you read a lot? a little?

Did you used to be an avid reader, go to university and then give it up?

Do you have a goal for reading this year?

Do you listen to audio books instead?

Tell me about the best book you've read. The worst. The latest book you picked up.

I want to know all about you and reading. 

I made a goal to read at least 26 books this year, one every two weeks. 
I even downloaded goodreads to help me with my goal and see what my friends are reading!

So far this year, I've read:

- The Book of Hidden Things

- The Tattooist of Auschwitz 

- Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone

Currently reading: Educated by Tara Westover 

I've really adjusted my screen time to make time to read and I've loved it. I find it so fulfilling and I'd love to know your relationship with reading!

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

I read 85 books last year on kindle and more I didn’t keep track of in physical books. I read The Bigamist yesterday and loved it. I prefer historical fiction and non-fiction. I read a lot of books about food and WW2. I’ve always read a lot. I prefer books to TV and people.

#3 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:18 PM

I read 85 books last year on kindle and more I didn’t keep track of in physical books. I read The Bigamist yesterday and loved it. I prefer historical fiction and non-fiction. I read a lot of books about food and WW2. I’ve always read a lot. I prefer books to TV and people.

Just added 'The Bigamist' to my list!

and holy bananas! That is a lot of books, I used to read more and kind of lost my excitement for it after reading textbooks for uni all the damn time. 

#4 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

I lost all interest in reading but I'm looking to have my interests piqued by anyone who can recommend something sci-fi or relating to dragons.

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:37 AM

I think I'm going to start reading People of The Lake by Kathleen O'neal

#6 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:43 PM

I'm finally rereading the Harry Potter series, halfway through the Sorcerer's Stone and internally crying with every word I read

#7 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 January 2019 - 12:29 AM

I used to have time to read more lol. Now when I come home from work I'm usually too tired. It saddens me a bit. 

Currently I have about 12 books queued up, I hope to make it through one every month. 

I'm a sucker for books based on series, because I always want to have more story when I finish a season.

I'm midway through Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness, the trilogy of the discovery of witches series.

And lined up are the Outlander books, and Kathy Reichs' last two novels. 

#8 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:04 PM

timely thread. im just looking for my next read right now. I just finished with "Little Me: My life from A-Z"-- Matt Lucas, and "The Rosie Project: Don Tillman (book 1) -- Graeme Simsion. I like to flip flop between memoirs and fiction. I'm looking at reading "Mr Mercedes"-- Stephen King next. Anyone read it?

#9 Junjie

Junjie
  • Hi there!

• 2267 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 January 2019 - 07:45 PM

Used to read a lot more when I was younger. Then the internet came, and almost stereotypically I switched to that instead.

Nowadays I still read a lot, but I rarely finish a book - even when I download one to try my attention tends to wander after a while.

I'm better at finishing physical books however, if like I borrow one from the library. I think the deadline helps give it some urgency. If I receive a free book I usually end up procrastinating it indefinitely lol.

#10 Purrina

Purrina
  • 92 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:38 AM

I used to be an avid reader, hung out daily in multiple GoodReads book clubs, and (am still a) a GoodReads librarian.
I breathed books, and the world would end if I couldn't read a few chapters a day. My reading goals remained consistent at 52 books a year (a book a week), but I generally read between 80-120 full-length books a year, plus lots of indie "shorts" (100 pages or less).

My favorite books were cozy mysteries, especially ones where pets were involved.
I didn't just -read- them, I made detailed interaction charts between people, noted times and places, tracked motives, and considered every book a personal challenge to solve the murder correctly ASAP.
... my husband would tease me and say even when I was "relaxing", I could never let go of my "type A personality", lol

Sadly, that changed a few years ago when I got ill. My lung problems often cause low oxygen levels, making it difficult to concentrate. It stopped being fun to read because I could no longer concentrate and wasn't able to solve mysteries like I used to.

For about 3 years there I didn't read at all outside of RPG rulebooks.

Last April, I started reading again.
After 3 years of being misdiagnosed they finally found the thoracic spinal tumor and removed it (yay!).
While in the hospital I didn't have much to do for the first month except roll from side to side - never allowed to lay on my back for 4 weeks ugh!
That was the time I started drawing and reading again. 

I read "lightly" now. I can't follow any long involved 500+ page thriller books because my mind isn't able to keep up. I might try a cozy mystery again someday though.
I last left GoodReads with around 1,800 books on my "to read" list - which feels pretty overwhelming, yikes! I have to remember it's not a "to do" list, it's a "to enjoy" list.

FICTION
Right now I am playing through a "choose your own adventure" android app called "Choices: Stories We Play" and reading "It Lives Beneath" a Horror/Ghost Story. It's the second book in the "It Lives" series, and I'm really enjoying it. 
NONFICTION
My favorite books, which I read and re-read over and over is "How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers" & "How to Wake Up: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide to Navigating Joy and Sorrow" & "How to Live Well with Chronic Pain and Illness: A Mindful Guide" by Toni Bernhard
I love her writing style, it's very personal and intimate - as if she's writing a letter to a friend. All three of her books speak on the subject of dealing with chronic illness and all the baggage that comes along with - but more then that, they speak of living a life of peace through acceptance of that we cannot change (something I've never been very good at). What I take away from the readings is encouragement to keep going, and a renewed sense of determination that I can get through it, whatever my "it" happens to be at the moment.

#11 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2019 - 09:13 AM

I used to read a lot more, then medical school happened and I was reading/studying enough that the last thing I wanted to do to relax was read more. I have started to listen to audiobooks while commuting now though. I would like to listen to one audiobook every month, bc that is essentially what I can do while driving. This year I listened to Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, and am listening to Breakfast of Champions by Vonnegut right now.

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Just added 'The Bigamist' to my list!

and holy bananas! That is a lot of books, I used to read more and kind of lost my excitement for it after reading textbooks for uni all the damn time.

I think I read as escapism where other people would watch TV or be social instead.

#13 Lizard

Lizard
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:13 AM

I used to read a lot more than I do now. But I still try and find time to read. I have basically an entire library on my phone. I mean not literally, but I do have 300-400+ books I have yet to read. Bookbub is my downfall. It sends me free/discounted books on amazon for my kindle app.

Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of romance. Paranormals and/or fantasy. Historical fiction. I’ve got the entire GoT series (at least what was out when I bought the bundle) mystery, young adult. Don’t have a particular niche I prefer. I am currently rereading Harry Potter yet again because Harry Potter. Also listening to an audiobook series that’s caught my interest. It’s the 1 true mates series if anyone is curious. It does have smut in it which I wasn’t expecting, but it’s a good series. I got it through audible and only read a vague description, but I still like it.

#14 Munsterpet

Munsterpet
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 February 2019 - 12:02 PM

I haven't had much time lately to read, but pre-small kids read a lot - GoT, political/history type stuff

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2019 - 12:33 PM

I used to read a lot more than I do now. But I still try and find time to read. I have basically an entire library on my phone. I mean not literally, but I do have 300-400+ books I have yet to read. Bookbub is my downfall. It sends me free/discounted books on amazon for my kindle app.

Lately, I’ve been reading a lot of romance. Paranormals and/or fantasy. Historical fiction. I’ve got the entire GoT series (at least what was out when I bought the bundle) mystery, young adult. Don’t have a particular niche I prefer. I am currently rereading Harry Potter yet again because Harry Potter. Also listening to an audiobook series that’s caught my interest. It’s the 1 true mates series if anyone is curious. It does have smut in it which I wasn’t expecting, but it’s a good series. I got it through audible and only read a vague description, but I still like it.

I LOVE bookbub

#16 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

Invisible monsters - Chuck Palahniuk.

Pretty tight.

#17 Rynne

Rynne
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 03:21 AM

My favourite book series is, and probably will be for a long time, His Dark Materials. It's an honest shame about the movie, it's probably my least favourite movie adaption ever. If anyone has any books like these though, I'd be happy to check them out :) 

#18 drunkb

drunkb
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 02:28 AM

I read 4-5 days a week. A lot of Stephen King and I've been getting into self-help books lately. I recently came back to neopets and I've seen a surprising amount of people still talking about Harry Potter, tempted to read the series again.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reading, books

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users