• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 09:11 AM

Hello All!

It's been a while since our last chat. We faced a downtime starting April 1st, 2022, and have faced challenges getting back online. A major obstacle was Amazon's end-of-life announcement for some instances we used to host Codex. Ideally, we should've migrated everything before the shutdown. Unfortunately, and true to form, we missed the deadline amidst our hectic schedules. I assure you, I've been consistently nudging @Hydrogen to help, but it proved more work than any of us could manage.

So, what's the situation now? Well... Welcome to my basement! Yes, if you're reading this, it's hosted on a server rack right here.

Spoiler

Fun fact: I've named the server "Ambrosia" - that's intentional, not a typo. Probably one of the few times that word gets used correctly on this site.

We are ditching the reliability and feature-rich environment of Amazon's web hosting platform. Instead, we're relying on my ability to pay power bills, not trip over extension cables, and the blazing fast speeds that Starlink satellite internet provides in rural Canada. Now, I know the obvious question here is going to be, "Why?" lol. I took this route for a couple of reasons. The biggest of which is that we can stop paying for Amazon's services, which have been bleeding our dear @Hydrogen for months, if not years. We stopped being profitable and began to slowly eat away into any profits we did make. This hosting solution is just going to add a few bucks to my power bill, and that's about it. I already had these server blades handy.

Our next challenge was getting Codex compatible with Ubuntu 20.04. Surprisingly, we've been running on outdated tech: PHP5.3 (EOL in August 2014), lighttpd 1.4.41 (from 2016), and scripts in Python 2.7.10 (EOL in early 2020). We are old. To feel time's passage even more, see how old the kids of long-time members like @Strategist have become! (Apologies, Mike, but not really.)

Now, here's our plan:
  • Reactivate the programs! I'm not just addressing issues with Abrosia or Neopets logins; I need the entire backend operational. Expect this to span a few weeks.
  • Upgrades are crucial. Given our old tech stack, while I've set up some safeguards, true internet security demands up-to-date systems: new OS, current PHP, updated forum software, and so on. It's ambitious, but it's a necessity.
It's a concise list, but each task is demanding. I need to meticulously plan and execute these.

Now, I have a request: I need your help and patience. At the end of this post, you'll find a list of known site issues. There is a post located here that will track known issues. I'll update this list based on your feedback and as I address them. I'm also open to suggestions for additions or removals. And, @zblaELR, yes, we're thinking about the downvote button.

Alright, that should be everything for now. This message is probably longer than it needs to be, but it is what it is. We will likely need some additional help around here. We've been gone for so long that it feels quite daunting. Some of us are still around on Discord; just see the link in the header and come on over. We're happy to chat with y'all.

Take care!
Cody - Neocodex Hosting Provider / Admin

PS. Yes, I did use ChatGPT to go over this post... I suck at this shit...

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 02:31 PM

Hell yeah living on a server in an unfinished basement.

#3 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 02:47 PM

Seems like quoting is broken -.-

But yes! Basement life seems on brand with us. Can't think of a better situation for us xD

Hope you have been doing well man!

#4 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 07:43 PM

The thought of red arrows gets me tingly in all the right places.

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 08:19 PM

Seems like quoting is broken -.-

But yes! Basement life seems on brand with us. Can't think of a better situation for us xD

Hope you have been doing well man!

test test quoting.

Been good. Cruising with a full WFH IT job. Own a condo. The whole grownup thing.

#6 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 October 2023 - 10:26 PM

Hell yeaaaaah Cody, you're the man!

Glad to see things back again!

Mel and I are now in the middle of building our third house, the kids are now 14, 10 and 7 and doing really well <3 I'm feeling the effects of old age already, busted a rib coughing just a few days ago..... *lesigh*

How goes everyone else?

#7 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2023 - 05:56 AM

test test quoting.

Been good. Cruising with a full WFH IT job. Own a condo. The whole grownup thing.

You were one of my favourites, but I don't know if I like non-degen elin.

Hell yeaaaaah Cody, you're the man!

Glad to see things back again!

Mel and I are now in the middle of building our third house, the kids are now 14, 10 and 7 and doing really well <3 I'm feeling the effects of old age already, busted a rib coughing just a few days ago..... *lesigh*

How goes everyone else?

Damn dude, is bone densitiy of australians really low because they need to be swift to run from the constant dangers around?

#8 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2023 - 08:26 AM

You were one of my favourites, but I don't know if I like non-degen elin.

I mean I still have the same questionable interests. Just couldn't keep renting forever when it was cheaper to purchase back home.

#9 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2023 - 09:36 AM

You're breaking my heart, being with your level headed mature decisions.

#10 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2023 - 09:58 AM

I also paid $700 for a replica Taiko no Tatsujin arcade drum controller so not all decisions are well thought out.

#11 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2023 - 04:35 PM

I read nothing of the above post.

I’m here to proudly declare I remember my login info.

And I have not contributed one bit to the greater good of humanity since the downtime or 1991.

#12 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2023 - 08:21 PM

downtime or 1991

What is the difference? Or has it not been that long since we were online?

#13 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2023 - 12:31 PM

downtime or 1991

What is the difference? Or has it not been that long since we were online?

Though the ebb and flow of unrelenting time scatters ripples of change into our realities, one thing remains staunch against the chaos: I can't math.

#14 Map

Map
  • 861 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2023 - 04:37 PM

Was thinking about NeoCodex recently. What a dream it would be for Neocodex to be back online, and to be back at it!! I'm super excited to see what comes and will be visiting back regularly!

#15 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 October 2023 - 11:11 AM

For anyone who would also like to join our Neocodex Discord: https://discord.gg/mQrfN2ufkC

We would like to get this up and running as an addition to Codex, so come join!

Also, thank you Cody, for getting this up and running!!

#16 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2023 - 11:18 AM

For anyone who would also like to join our Neocodex Discord: https://discord.gg/mQrfN2ufkC

We would like to get this up and running as an addition to Codex, so come join!

Also, thank you Cody, for getting this up and running!!

Thank you Adam for coming back <3

#17 Runic

Runic
  • 47 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 03:11 PM

Thank you for bringing Codex back online! Missed this place!

#18 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2023 - 07:19 AM

I missed it too :) Now when I get really lonely, I can just go in the server room and sleep beside the server rack.

#19 Hush

Hush
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 October 2023 - 08:12 AM

Glad to see neocodex back just in time for my own return to neo lol

#20 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2023 - 06:26 PM

<3

#21 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 November 2023 - 05:22 PM

Welcome back Codex!

#22 Hikimaru

Hikimaru
  • Burst Linker

• 1049 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2023 - 11:14 AM

When I joined, back in 2011, people would always ask for an Advanced Member lifetime subscription plan. You guys then replied saying there was no guarantee NeoCodex would live forever, and that was the reason this plan didn't exist. That's the first thing I remembered when I thought the site was gone for good. I'm very glad it didn't, though! Can't believe I was 12 years old when I joined. I struggled a lot trying to maintain conversations with my almost non-existing english, but I loved every minute.

Thanks for bringing NC and good memories back :)

#23 Ayami

Ayami
  • 280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2023 - 04:19 PM

Signed up to another forum to find out we're back XD Hello everyone! :D

#24 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2023 - 12:37 PM

Woot woot! Feels good to be back!

#25 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 November 2023 - 09:50 PM

Glad you managed to get it back online.  I tried doing one or two or three of my random check-ins that I do every year and it was down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users