• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#151 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:03 AM

Your kidding.

View Post

No. Oracle itself on one server uses a massive amount of memory and CPU. They have to spread otu the database over tons of servers, so that its not all coming from one.

For example, one entire database is dedicated to the 'user' table, another whole database is dedicated to the 'ushops' table. Not to mention the number of HTTPD servers there are running.

#152 SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM
  • 1200 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:07 AM

No. Oracle itself on one server uses a massive amount of memory and CPU. They have to spread otu the database over tons of servers, so that its not all coming from one.

For example, one entire database is dedicated to the 'user' table, another whole database is dedicated to the 'ushops' table. Not to mention the number of HTTPD servers there are running.

View Post

Dear god, but honestly he doesn't have a clue what he is getting into. I have made a couple websites with hi'm and they have all failed, and that upsets me that he is trying a neopets like pet site again!

#153 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:08 AM

Dear god, but honestly he doesn't have a clue what he is getting into. I have made a couple websites with hi'm and they have all failed, and that upsets me that he is trying a neopets like pet site again!

View Post

I'd say. If you care that much about working on pet sites, go work for someone else on one. The success rate of pet sites is going way down, and almost all new pet sites fail. Only the main ones that are up now are really going to keep going forward.

Also, its a complete hassle to own a pet site. What with the financial side, the member dealings, finding staff, etc.

#154 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:10 AM

then...

what a waste of ti'me to make a petsite  :ermm:

#155 SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM
  • 1200 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:12 AM

I know, I hate to say it, but it is true. They barely succeed. I don't think dominate has more then 20$ a month to spend on hosting for this website.

#156 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:13 AM

true...

but...I think alots of ads can help...

20$ is alot. :p

#157 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

true...

but...I think alots of ads can help...

20$ is alot. :p

View Post

And who wants to play a site with alot of ads? They can go play an adless, faster, site without them.

And, I agree. $20 is enough for starting out. But once you just start to get big, you are forced off a shared server. Unless the hoster doesn't care how much CPU you use, even then it will still be amazingly slow.

#158 kyo

kyo
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:27 AM

no it wont get boring we are happy when we see how popular our site is and we can freeze our emenis *lol*

#159 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:31 AM

and if we started a petsite. we need games how to freeze people everything need to be tested everything ready then go make petsite.

but who here know PHP? :p

duh, I only know this ;)

if ($blah=="blah")
{
echo "blah"
}
else
{
echo "not blah"

lmao.

by the way, help me out *pokes siggy*

#160 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:34 AM

Sounds like another wannabe of a good idea really, if I was you, I'd try looking into a new concept and work on that,  I.E a chees website/forum (I don't know just think of something diffrent to online pet sites)

#161 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

no it wont get boring we are happy when we see how popular our site is and we can freeze our emenis *lol*

View Post

Then you are amazing. I have a pretty popular site, and its turned into hell to run :p I dont even get a kick out of freezing people anymore.

but who here know PHP?

I do ;) Heres something I coded:
<?
##################################################
#      	W I S H  L I S T S                #
# How it works:
#  It inserts the ID of the item into the users wishlist thing in user_var
#  which is seperated by .'s and I explode it. Fun, hm?
# 
#  Things Included & Explained:
#  I'm sure you can figure most of them out
#  And I'm including comments in the code anyways. I just wanted
#  to make this pretty box :3
# 

## Functions. 
function unset_by_val($needle,$haystack) {
  $haystack = array_flip($haystack);
  unset($haystack[$needle]);
  $haystack = array_flip($haystack);
  return $haystack;
}

## Globals
include "global.php";
doHeader('Wishlists');
requireLogin();

## Main Page
if (!$act) { 
	echo "<center>Welcome to your Wishlist!<br><b>$message</b><br><br></center>Below you can see everything that you have added to your wishlist. You can add more items to it below";
	echo "<form method=post><br><br><center><table width=90% align=center class=sp-table><tr><td class=sp-sub><center><b>Add to Wishlist";
	echo "<tr><td class=sp-table><center><input type=text name=item value='Item Name' style='width:300px; text-align:center'><br>
    <input type=submit value='Add to Wishlist' style='width:300px'><input type=hidden name=act value=add></table></form>";
	echo "<br><br><center><table width=90% align=center class=sp-table><tr>";
	$wishlist = explode('.',$thisuser->wishlist);
	$t = 0;
	if (!$thisuser->wishlist) { 
  echo "<td class=sp-sub><center><b>You dont have anything on your wishlist!</table>"; 
  } else { 
  foreach($wishlist AS $wish) { 
  	if ($t % 3 == 0 && $t != 0) {
    echo "</tr><tr>";
  	}
  	$item = fetch_object("SELECT name,I'mage,itemid FROM item WHERE itemid='$wish'");
  	echo "<td width=33% class=sp-table><center><I'mg src=items/$item->I'mage><br><b>$item->name</b> [<a href=?act=remove&item=$item->itemid>x</a>]";
  	$t++;
  }
	}
# Add to Wishlist
} elseif ($act == "add") {  
	$item = tri'm($item);
	$add = fetch_object("SELECT itemid,name FROM item WHERE name LIKE '$item' ORDER BY rand() Li'mIT 1");
	$array = explode('.',$thisuser->wishlist);
	if (!$add->name) { 
  $message = "Sorry, $item does not exist";
	} else { 
  if (in_array("$add->itemid",$array)) { 
  	$message="You allready have a $add->name on your list";
  } else { 
  	if ($thisuser->wishlist) { 
    $array[] = "$add->itemid";
    $wishlist = I'mplode('.',$array);
  	} else { 
    $wishlist = $add->itemid;
  	}
  	$db->query("UPDATE user_var SET wishlist='$wishlist' WHERE userid='$thisuser->userid'");
  	$message= "$add->name has been added to your wishlist";
  }
	}
	doRedirect("wishlists.php?message=$message");
# View Someone Elses
} elseif ($act == "view") { 
	$user = fetch_object("SELECT a.username,a.userid,b.wishlist from user a INNER JOIN user_var b ON a.userid=b.userid WHERE a.userid='$user'");
  $username = subetaFilter("[user=$user->username]");
	echo "<br><br><center><table width=90% align=center class=sp-table><tr><td colspan=4 class=sp-header><center><b>$username's Wishlist<tr>";
	$wishlist = explode('.',$user->wishlist);
	$t = 0;
	if (!$user->wishlist) { 
  echo "<td class=sp-sub><center><b>$username doesn't have anything on their wishlist!</table>"; 
  } else { 
  foreach($wishlist AS $wish) { 
  	if ($t % 3 == 0 && $t != 0) {
    echo "</tr><tr>";
  	}
  	$item = fetch_object("SELECT name,I'mage,itemid FROM item WHERE itemid='$wish'");
  	echo "<td width=33% class=sp-table><center><I'mg src=items/$item->I'mage><br><b>$item->name</b><br> [<a href='?act=add&item=$item->name'>Add</a>]";
  	$t++;
  }
  }
} elseif ($act == "remove") { 
	$array = explode('.',$thisuser->wishlist);
	if (!in_array("$item",$array)) { 
  $message="You don't have that item on your wishlist!";
	} else { 
  $name = fetch_object("SELECT name FROM item WHERE itemid='$item'");
  $wishlist = unset_by_val($item,$array);
  $wishlist2 = I'mplode('.',$wishlist);
  $db->query("UPDATE user_var SET wishlist='$wishlist2' WHERE userid='$thisuser->userid'");
  $message="$name->name has been deleted from your list";
	}
doRedirect("wishlists.php?message=$message");
} elseif ($act == "search") { 
	if ($dosearch) { 

} else { 
  echo "<form method=post><center><table class=sp-table width=80%><tr><td class=sp-header><center><b>Search Wishlists<tr><td class=sp-table>
  <center>
  <select name=type style='width:300px'>
  	<option value=0>Search Type
  	<option value=1>Username
  	<option value=2>Item
  </select><br>
  <input type=text name=value value='Search For..' style='text-align:center;width:300px'><br>
  <input type=submit value='Search!' style='width:300px'>
  <input type=hidden name=dosearch value=true>
  </table>
  	</form>
  ";
	}
} else { 
	echo "Invalid Action.";
}

doFooter();
?>

Oh. and my Neopets Help Site (click on it in my siggy) is PHP/MySQL powered, feel free to check it out :) (item databasing, weapon databasing, etc)

Edited by Keith, 11 January 2005 - 11:36 AM.

#162 Faisal

Faisal
  • 1989 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

Wow.

this good. ^^

and how did you learned it..? :confused1:

#163 Neo

Neo
  • 2032 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

Well Red chaos and myself have been game thinking, I came up with these in five minutes, but I have been busy, so I will think of more later xD

First Draft:

CLiff-Typer: You are sliding off the cliff side, and have to type the letters on the screen to stay on, each level gets progressively harder, and also in later levels, birds and other obstacles will come accross the screen, you will use the space bar to jump and the direction pad down arrow to duck etc.

Hang-Man: Cli'ming a rope using the left and right directional arrows, (and avoiding obstacles by holding the left or right arrow to lean their respective ways. You must get to the top of each level, once there a guard will stop you and ask for the password one letter at a ti'me, you, as a theif do not know the password and must play a game of hangman to guess the password, the password will have something to do with the pet site. For every letter you get wrong the guard will step closer and closer to you, if you get too many wrong you will fall off and grab on to the bottom of the rope, you get 5 chances to fall off across the whole game. The first level will be a three letter word, very easy, a well known word to do with the site, the second level will be 4 letters, and still a popular word, it will get longer and harder each ti'me, until level 10, where it will be an almost unheard of word.

Swi'mming-Star: You are in a swi'mming competition against other pets. Firstly choose and becauseti'mize your pet your pet! (there will be different attributes, e.g An average one, a small but weak one, a big but fast one,((being big will be a disadvantage as I will explain very shortly)) The becauseti'mize option will be as follows, either Pet site points or another form of currency, you choose your swi'mming costume, ((some costumes will only be availbe for certain pets)) and your goggles ((the goggles fog up over ti'me, and the better the goggles, the longer it takes to fog up, I will explain the fog aspect shortly)) and your hats, which will just be to show you which one is your pet in the races) . After choosing  everything, you will then be able to buy medicine, energy sweets, and wipes. In the race you will tap the left and right arrows as fast as possible,the energy bar will be going down, so you must click on the energy sweets, and the googles will fog up as well, which will make you swi'm in the wrong direction, use your wipes to clean your goggles and swi'm in the right direction again, if your energy goes down to 0 then you must take the medicine to continue, also in later levels, floats and other obstacles will get in your way. To avoid the obstacles you will need to swi'm under them, press the up arrow to tilt your head down, then tap the left and right arrows to swi'm underneath, one avoided you will need to press the down arrow to tilt your head back up to the surface, then tap the left and right arrows to swi'm back up to the surface. If you stay under for too long then you will start to drown, you will then have to take some medicine to continue. Another aspect is the Hyepr-mode tap the space bar to swi'm at twice speed, but this also makes the energy go down twice as fast, and makes the goggles fog up twice as fast. To take to medicine, energy sweets and wipes, you will need to tap space bar again to exit hyper mode and then you can use your medicine, energy or wipes again. Competition gets harder each ti'me. Two options Marathon, or quick race, you can swi'm over long distances with marathon option, or have a short fast-paced option, with quick race.

Yeah so I will think of more :p

#164 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:01 PM

Wow.

this good. ^^

and how did you learned it..? :confused1:

View Post

I actually taught myself most of it. And picked up little functions and things from all over the place.

#165 .:Orange:.

.:Orange:.
  • 1168 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:02 PM

Good job neoooo. *clap*

#166 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:04 PM

Well Red chaos and myself have been game thinking, I came up with these in five minutes, but I have been busy, so I will think of more later xD
Yeah so I will think of more ;)

View Post

Oh - Have tons of fun with flash :p I hope you can make an ultra-secure gateway, or you'll have tons of flash-score senders going your way ;P

#167 Chris

Chris
  • 2235 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:08 PM

hosting doesnt cost $20 a month.. my friend offers hosting for $1 a month,.. not very much bandwidth or space but it'll do for most websites.. for $20 a month I can buy my own reseller plan :p

#168 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:09 PM

hosting doesnt cost $20 a month.. my friend offers hosting for $1 a month,.. not very much bandwidth or space but it'll do for most websites.. for $20 a month I can buy my own reseller plan :p

View Post

Right, the point of saying it wasn't enough though, is that you outgrow a Shared server very quickly.

#169 kyo

kyo
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:11 PM

keith youre in the php team now

#170 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:20 PM

keith youre in the php team now

View Post

I didn't ask to be :p I already have a site to deal with. I was si'mply showing you an example of PHP/MySQL working together.

#171 kyo

kyo
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:28 PM

if you want or not u are in php team :p

#172 Dominate

Dominate
  • 2090 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 12:49 PM

I didn't ask to be :p I already have a site to deal with. I was si'mply showing you an example of PHP/MySQL working together.

View Post

dont listen to the other people but if you want too you can it would be a BIG help  :D

#173 Keith

Keith
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

dont listen to the other people but if you want too you can it would be a BIG help  :D

View Post

Like I said, I have my own site to deal with :p But, I'll see about maybe helping a bit where I can.

#174 kyo

kyo
  • 914 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:16 PM

yes we really need PHP people

#175 SiLeNTScReAM

SiLeNTScReAM
  • 1200 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:29 PM

I'm sorry but for a pet site, you need a FULL Ti'mE PHP expert, or php staff... ITS NOT GUNNA WORK!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users