Psychic Powers

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:12 AM

Do psychic powers like telekinesis or other powers like mind reading accually exist ?

My side of the argument is simple

Yes i belive there is more to what we can see with our eyes. My mum went to a psychic in Tahiland and he told her he future. My mum says and i quote "Everything he has said has been 100 % correct". The psychic told my mum that her first child would be a boy and his name would start with the letter R. My uncle was in hospital at the time and the psychic said "Greg will be fine" (Greg being my uncle)

now you cant say that theres no such thing

#2 Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Guest_Xth Cannon_*

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:18 AM

Yeh. My friends parent got her mind read, and everything has come true.

#3 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 March 2006 - 09:08 AM

O_o first kid will be R... thats EASY. she wants to believe it.. and Greg could mean ANYBODY... no, i dont believe in it.

#4 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:24 PM

I believe in it 100%. I believe its either:

a. spirts (future telling stuff)
b. Electric brain signals (telekinises)

I actually practice making psi-balls in my hand, and i definitely feel them.

#5 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

It's what the mind tends to be hypnotized into thought. If your faith is in a higher power, a higher power might talk to you at times.

#6 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

Yes.
I also believe in people talking to the dead.
My friend's mom talked to my dad and his sister, knowing b oth their names, cause of death, etc without ever knowing them or me telling her about them. I never told my friend these things either.
I was shocked.

#7 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:38 PM

I'd have to say no.

I mean , if you don't mean , for example , a straight female staring at a hot male in jeans , and knowing what they're thinking , 'Damn is that guy hot!Do 'em any day' or vice versa , a male staring at a female and knowing they're thinking something like , 'Sexxxx , sexxx , sexxx , TV , sexxxx ' ^_^

But as far as knowing what people are thinking goes , I would have to say no.

You could read a facial expression , understand body language , but knowing peoples thoughts , I don't believe are presently possible. :)

#8 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

I don't think so, I don't believe any of those people who do it on TV and/or for money are really doing anything. The examples you provided (your name and your uncle) don't prove anything, because in the end it was your parents' choice on what name you would have and Greg could have been anyone.

#9 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 04:46 PM

No. It's simple. If I told you that you will win the lottery in a few days, will you get prepared? Of course. People take what they say to such a level that they end up making what the psycic said come true with their own power, meaning they never needed the person in the first place. Then after it happens, their like "omg he/she was right".

When I was young my brother died from a severe car accident, and my mom was so sad that she went to this place, and got to talk to him.

Sadly alot of people would take that story as fact, with not even knowing it was all a lie. If you just take a step back and look at this from afar, it's just a childs story.

Though I do believe its more hypnotism based, it is the mind that puts the world 'round. Like theres some form of connection to everything based off of the life organism. But thats one of the maybe three things in quantum physics that i tend to believe.

#10 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:30 PM

Yeah I believe they exist, my mom has 'em and so do I :p

From time to time I'll make a prediction and it will come true

I've also done a couple magic spells that came to pass :D

I shit you not my friends:)

#11 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 08:52 PM

...Right. Like turning on a TV only using a remote?

#12 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:40 PM

...Right. Like turning on a TV only using a remote?

More like focusing energies to make things happen in my favor<_<

#13 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:52 PM

Alot of people do that. "I feel like i'm going to ace this test". And you ace it, then turn around and am like "I have psycic powers!", when in reality you were merely determining what you knew, and comparing it to the answers you placed on the test.

How about winning a MTG tourney as an average player? kicking the ass of everybody when it could surely have gone south

I almost never won them things when I used to play in them, but when I did that little ritual, it worked

Call it what you want but it can work

#14 dck

dck
  • 2361 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

More like focusing energies to make things happen in my favor<_<

Oh me too! Someone even made a documentary about me and my buddies http://video.google....961286495822432 (I'm the one in blue!)

Alot of people do that. "I feel like i'm going to ace this test". And you ace it, then turn around and am like "I have psycic powers!", when in reality you were merely determining what you knew, and comparing it to the answers you placed on the test.

I completely agree. I get annoyed at people who go on TV to ask 'psychics' what career they should choose because in the end it's their own decision...on a side note, has anyone seen that South Park episode with that Crossing Over guy? It's perfect! The cold reading thing is so true of all of these 'psychic' individuals I've seen.

Edit:

How about winning a MTG tourney as an average player? kicking the ass of everybody when it could surely have gone south

That's called skill, or the other team having a bad day.

Edited by dck, 07 March 2006 - 09:58 PM.

#15 Warlord

Warlord
  • 3988 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

Oh me too! Someone even made a documentary about me and my buddies http://video.google....961286495822432 (I'm the one in blue!)

now you're just confusing fact with fiction, real power isn't fireballs shot out of hands <_<

Refer to my other post about doing your little "ritual" and gaining self motive in the same process, and end up playing harder then normal because you know this "ritual" has got your back. This causes a sense of abnormal power in yourself, and you play harder. In other words, you were only influcened, there is no magic here.

I said call it what you want, but it works didn't I?

besides, Magic the gathering is a luck AND skill based game, I coulda easily been outdrawn and outplayed

But I have had psychic intuitions in the past

#16 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:38 PM

I think Im phychic sometimes but Im obviously not. A lot of times when Im talking to my friend from school on AIM, ill type something a split second before he types a question for it. Its strange. Maybe its just because I know him so well. It happens like twice a day.
Ex:
Alex: the test is tommorow
Friend: when's the test again

And its not just obvious stuff like tests because its revelant to the discussion too.

#17 Thrasher

Thrasher
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 12:31 AM

I actually practice making psi-balls in my hand, and i definitely feel them.

that's such a bullshit XD Your no super saiyan or whatever they are called :shifty:

But i do believe that some ppl can do pretty amazing tricks with their minds... :funone:

#18 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:09 AM

Do psychic powers like telekinesis or other powers like mind reading accually exist ?

My side of the argument is simple

Yes i belive there is more to what we can see with our eyes. My mum went to a psychic in Tahiland and he told her he future. My mum says and i quote "Everything he has said has been 100 % correct". The psychic told my mum that her first child would be a boy and his name would start with the letter R. My uncle was in hospital at the time and the psychic said "Greg will be fine" (Greg being my uncle)

now you cant say that theres no such thing

It's called cold reading --> http://www.skeptics....es/coldread.htm

Firstly, there is a 50/50 chance that your first child will be a boy. That's not a hard one to get right. And keep in mind this psychic just wanted their money, and it wouldn't be of much concern to them if the tourist ended up having a girl. It was a perfectly safe guess to make at the moment due to both the fact it couldn't be verified until the subject was long gone, and the chances of it being true were pretty good.

As far as the name of her first child starting with an R... Once again, that is not a prediction. It is up to the mother what her child's name will start with, and once the psychic told her, well, if she really wants to believe in psychic powers than a name that begins with R will be chosen.

If I tell you that your childs first name will start with a P, you will either give them a name that starts with a P because you want to believe I am psychic, or you will definitely not give them a name that starts with a P because you don't want to believe I'm psychic. This is more a subtle form of mind control as opposed to psychic powers :p

As far as Greg being fine... I'd have to more know the circumstances of how it was said and what your mother told him beforehand to be able to talk about that one.

But the first two are easy :p

Yeah I believe they exist, my mom has 'em and so do I :p

From time to time I'll make a prediction and it will come true

You see, the thing is, you only notice your successes. One time, I was watching baseball, and I said "The next guy is going to hit a grand slam." The bases were loaded. He hits a grand slam. This was a guy that didn't hit home runs much. Was it cool? Hell yeah. Am I psychic? No.

Because what you don't think about, is all the times you have made guesses, predictions, or had intuitions, where you were wrong. If you are psychic you should be right oh, at least 65% of the time, all the time. But being right once in every thousand times or even few hundred times hardly qualifies as abnormal.

There are a limited number of possibilites in situations, and the chances of you guessing correctly are not as bad as you may think they are. In a room of 30 people, chances areabout 90+% that at least 2 of the people in the room will have the same birthday. I can't explain how that's true, but if you'd like you can look it up, it is. Learned it in my stats class. Anyway, It goes to show that despite the fact it may seem like the chances of you guessing something are insurmountable, that there are actually only a limited number of possibilites and there will no doubt be many times your guesses are correct.

How many times have you thought "I'm going to do well on this!" then done badly? Or vice versa? How many times have you thought one thing was going to happen, and another happened? I'd wager quite a few. But the only times you actually remember are the times you are right. Everyone is right sometimes :p To be a psychic you need to be right almost all the time.

Edited by BrknPhoenix, 08 March 2006 - 05:11 AM.

#19 Mumei

Mumei
  • 3545 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 05:14 AM

There are many things we don't know about our brains, and not least how easy it is to be convinced what the person in front of you is telling you the truth.

I would like to think that telekinesis exists but that's only because it somehow seems like if that exists then it leads to many other energy forms we've no scientific knowledge about. I am not at all convinced it exists and altho i've seen many "conclusive examples" i've also been to the magic convention and seen the same things done in front of 300 people LOL

mind reading and prediction are not convincing at all IMO, if there was someone who could say things like "a week next tuesday there will be an earthquake in india" then i would certainly be more convinced.

It's a very comforting thought that people can predict the future, but that doesn't make it so.

#20 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:55 AM

I think they Sloth convinced me. He could convine you too lol

#21 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:30 PM

Boy : I aced the test! I knew the answers up front! I'm psychic
Dad : You are? what was one of the questions?
Boy : The firetruck is red. Is the firetruck red or blue?
Boy : I swear, I like...instantly knew it was red.

#22 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2006 - 03:42 PM

I agree that mind reading a future predicting is false...

But how can somebody know all about the dead relative without knowing anything about them ahead of time. How can they know where is was, the person's name, the car she was hit by, the date it happened, and my father's name (who she never met), how he died, when he died, and what he wanted us to know.
I could see how she could make up the very last part, but all the specifics, no.

#23 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 March 2006 - 04:08 PM

Another obvious clue that they are lying... If they are psychic... why aren't they millionaires? They could be making big bucks making bets but instead they are in some dirty out of the way shack doing palm readings for pennies.... hmmm

#24 Le Chango

Le Chango
  • 1026 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 02:32 PM

that's such a bullshit XD Your no super saiyan or whatever they are called :shifty:

But i do believe that some ppl can do pretty amazing tricks with their minds... :funone:

Lol its not like dragon ball z. You cant even see it its just a little magnetic like force you can feel.

#25 Secret Santa

Secret Santa
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 04:47 PM

I've dreamed a lot of stuff that's happened before, I used to think I was just going crazy but it's been happening a lot more now :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users