Cannabis

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

Probably been a topic on this, but what do you think on the legalisation of cannabis?

I'm personally pro cannabis legalization at home type enviroments Not to mention, I dont see any real downs to usage of it at home enviroments. there would be a couple enforcement bills passed, but that would be really it. It's legal in Denver right now and doing fine. Though some people do worry about it being a liberal step to holland - not good type of liberal.

#2 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:10 AM

I need to move to denver.

#3 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:13 AM

I need to move to denver.

They also allow gay marraiges there, so suprisingly enough - theres a lack of "gay pride" parades because they have what they want.

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 10:42 AM

Or you could just move in with me Dan :D

#5 Zero DeLocke

Zero DeLocke
  • 2087 posts

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

I say yes to legalization of marijuana. But tax it. Tax it so the government has more money. Don't make those who do not use it pay for it. So... yeah.

Mary jane + tax = yes from me.

#6 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

Or you could just move in with me Dan :D

I have only 900 dollars in my account, 900 dollars = 400 pounds. haha.

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2006 - 01:27 PM

Psh, I do better deals then that.

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:08 AM

Psh, I do better deals then that.

Ive started growing with a homie of mine near my house :( so heh

#9 Christopher Robin

Christopher Robin
  • 5302 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:06 PM

O_o POGZ! IM CALLING TEH POPOS!!! pfft.... make sure to wire me some o that dough, biatch! i say YES, but NOT IN PUBLIC! and if your found causing a fuss in public while... stoned, then.... BIG fine + weed priveledges revokedifiedable.

#10 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

As long as I don't have to smell it and throw up from it I'm fine...

*is very sensative to any type of joint or cigarette smoke*

#11 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

Anti-legalization, pro-harsh jail time for users.

#12 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:03 PM

Anti-legalization, pro-harsh jail time for users.

Reason why? :x And what amount of people? The ones that are tempted to try it? or the ones that smoke it for a decent amount of time?

#13 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 03:51 PM

Reason why? :x And what amount of people? The ones that are tempted to try it? or the ones that smoke it for a decent amount of time?

Well, there would be conditions based upon age and how much they do it and such. Whatever could be found out. If it's some 15 year old kid trying it then obviously there woudl be no jail time, but there still should be a severe penalty.

And the reason is because this stuff is bad, and no one that does it seems to be willing to believe it. They always talk about moderation and how well they can handle it, and how marijuana can be good for you (oh I've heard those arguments, they're lovely) and other things that deny the obvious logic that it's bad and you shouldn't be doing it.

I've known pot-smokers, and all they did was sit around, drink, get pregnant, not do a damn thing. Rotten people. Were they rotten solely because of pot? Probably not. Is it a contributing factor? Considering that's all they did for nights on end, every night, yeah, I'd say so.

To those of you that say you can handle it in moderation...

Just wait for the day you have a terrible day. A really bad day. Maybe you lost your job, maybe your girlfriend of months or years broke up with you or cheated on you. Anything. Once that day comes, your mind and your sense for moderation will be broken and you'll see how quickly you can sink into a place you don't want to be with drugs, and how the moderation argument no longer holds up. You can't have your guards up 24 hours a day every day for the rest of your life.

The reason for the jail-time is because this all needs to be eliminated. Completely. Some people will have to be punished, but I wouldn't really care. More important is all the people that never considered doing it because of the harsh penalties in place.

#14 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

I say yes to legalization of marijuana. But tax it. Tax it so the government has more money. Don't make those who do not use it pay for it. So... yeah.

Mary jane + tax = yes from me.

That's what they'll probally do.

But then more people will be driving under while high so there'd be increased car related accidents. If we were responsible as a society where no one would drive while intoxicated this would be fine but since there's lots of stupid people out there this would cause a problem.

#15 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 05 March 2006 - 04:51 PM

In a way, I do agree with Brkn. That is the fact of pot, no matter what anyone says.

However, pot is pretty much the same as alcohol when it comes to his moderation example. If you've got a bad day, you're just as likely to drink yourself into a stupor as you would use pot to get high. But obviously, if probation didn't work out too well back in the day, it certainly wouldn't work today at all.

We don't jail people for getting drunk, we shouldn't jail them for getting high on pot. Other drugs? It depends. Most are worse than pot and have such severely negative physical consequences that they shouldn't be used outside of a medical environment. The reason WHY most drugs today are so bad for you, though, is because they're made on the street. In a lab, the results are very different.

There are some drugs, though, that are pretty harmless and are illegal anyway. But do I think there should be a movement to legalize them? Naw. There's not enough interest and it's not worth the effort.

But Brkn is a bit stereotypical when it comes to the average pot smoker. The reason WHY there's so many pot smokers like that is because they were already like that and/or wanted the escape. The average person doesn't have a need for drugs, or when they do, it's in a party/nightlife environment and doesn't affect their normal lives. It's the same with alocholics, except there tend to be very few angry pot smokers.

Generally speaking, I don't think pot should be illegal because most adults would only use it in the casual environment where they would use drinking. I've seen it at plenty of parties in my day - having a joint here or there isn't really the same as smoking one daily. Just like you really wouldn't want to have an alocholic drink a day. It doesn't mean that the people who DO are failures, but more often than not, they are doing nothing with their lives.

However, the question is, we already have alcohol - should we allow that secondary escape as well? Because the effects of pot really aren't that different from alocohol. In all fairness, it SHOULD be legal, with - of course, as Eli said - taxes. Taxes on the state level, while we're being specific. Just like drinking & driving isn't allowed, there's no toking & driving. I don't think we would see an increase in DUIs, seeing as most pot smokers don't really get out - and a toke at a party really isn't enough to do it, either - but you never know.

But now that I think about it a little more - Brkn's main point - we shouldn't do it because people will abuse it - is a bit, well - I would almost say it's a bit patronizing. You're saving someone from themselves, in effect. You're not giving someone the ability to be a responsible adult - you'd be assuming that they can't - and furthermore, you're not giving someone the ability to throw away their lives. Sounds a bit crazy, but hear me out.

At what point do you step in and tell someone how to lead their lives? Obviously, if it's hurting someone else - normally, when we deal with alcoholics, we deal with abusive alcoholics - something should be done. But generally speaking, we as a society do not step in unless that happens. Non-abusive alcoholics CAN go to help programs or rehab, but they are not forced to (unless they break some laws, DUIs, etc). You're taking the choice away from people, and that strikes a chord with me. We do not go into the home of a fat American and tell them "Eat with moderation, or we will control how you eat." We don't force an Internet nerd - who spends all their time playing games or at a computer at the expense of their physical, social and emotional wellbeing - away from their computer and out into society.

Why should we make an exception for pot smokers? If, the only argument is, they are hurting themselves.

Edited by Casilla, 05 March 2006 - 05:02 PM.

#16 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

But now that I think about it a little more - Brkn's main point - we shouldn't do it because people will abuse it - is a bit, well - I would almost say it's a bit patronizing. You're saving someone from themselves, in effect. You're not giving someone the ability to be a responsible adult - you'd be assuming that they can't - and furthermore, you're not giving someone the ability to throw away their lives. Sounds a bit crazy, but hear me out.

Considering how many people fall into these traps, I think it's an educated assumption that they cannot handle being responsible adults :p And well, that'd be okay, if it wasn't for the fact that it's very difficult to live in a bubble.

You can say that we are violating someone's right to handle themselves and be responsible, but what about everyone elses right to not have to be in a society that promotes that? It seems all the rights arguments always weigh in the direction of letting people do more... But what about those of us who would appreciate the right to be in a world where these things don't exist?

In this little online world we have here sure, our bubble is easy to maintain. What someone on this board however many hundreds or thousands of miles away does doesn't really impact us. But what about when the person is a member of your family, someone you care about? What about when it's your neighbor and all of a sudden you have a drug addict living next door that makes you feel uncomfortable to be there? What about your kids getting involved with these people... It's not like you can keep an eye on them all the time.

So I don't see the issue of respecting someone's ability to be a responsible adult as relevant... as no matter how responsible you are, the irresponsible people (which will continue to exist, all we can do is take away the things they have that cause harm to themselves and others) will find ways to snake into the world's of others and corrupt them as well. Or even if not corrupt them, change their lives in some negative way.

If pot were legalized, what happens to the right of the responsible adult to not be around these things? It's out the door. Your kids will be exposed, you will be exposed, whether you want to be or not.

I would rather patronize some people that really are capable of handling themselves, than have to allow the irresponsible ones to run free with it.

#17 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

haha, well i do agree with you in a sense, brkn. While I have been told many false rumours about marijuana such as it being a killer, you are correct on that part. But I dont agree that it should be completely illegal, but maybe thats the drugs talking ;).

#18 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:19 PM

You can say that we are violating someone's right to handle themselves and be responsible, but what about everyone elses right to not have to be in a society that promotes that? It seems all the rights arguments always weigh in the direction of letting people do more... But what about those of us who would appreciate the right to be in a world where these things don't exist?

Your own stereotype can be used against you, though. Since your stereotype mandates that pot smokers will waste their lives away at home, then the rest of society won't have to deal with them, will it?

In this little online world we have here sure, our bubble is easy to maintain. What someone on this board however many hundreds or thousands of miles away does doesn't really impact us. But what about when the person is a member of your family, someone you care about? What about when it's your neighbor and all of a sudden you have a drug addict living next door that makes you feel uncomfortable to be there? What about your kids getting involved with these people... It's not like you can keep an eye on them all the time.

Once again, this can apply to anything done in excess. Do we send alcoholics who don't harm anyone to jail? Do we send obese people to jail? Do we send social recluses to jail? Of course not.

So I don't see the issue of respecting someone's ability to be a responsible adult as relevant... as no matter how responsible you are, the irresponsible people (which will continue to exist, all we can do is take away the things they have that cause harm to themselves and others) will find ways to snake into the world's of others and corrupt them as well. Or even if not corrupt them, change their lives in some negative way.

If pot were legalized, what happens to the right of the responsible adult to not be around these things? It's out the door. Your kids will be exposed, you will be exposed, whether you want to be or not.

Well, I for one would have a little more faith in my kids not to be idiots. If my kids DO turn out to be idiots, then hey, that's Darwin isn't it? I'll have to live with the fact that perhaps I raised my kids wrong, or perhaps my kids are just fools.

And once again, I relate this to anything else done in excess. When we live in a society, the good and bad of others is interwined with everyone. Should I jail someone just because they have bad BO? I have to live with it, I have to be around them. God damn, they SMELL, I should be able to do something about it.

It goes back to smokers, as well. If secondhand cigarette wasn't dangerous (I'm still not convinced that it is outside of a 24/7 environment), but if it wasn't dangerous - would it have been banned from public places in a lot of states? Of course not. It may smell bad, but no one would take away a smoker's right to smoke UNLESS it harmed someone. Which was what secondhand smoke was all about. ;)

And furthermore, your analogy goes back to elementary school mandates. Little Johnny talked out of turn, so now, we don't get to go to recess. Is it fair to the rest of the class? Of course not. But hopefully peer pressure will make Little Johnny shape up, so that next time, the class CAN go to recess.

I see that kind of politics in adult society going over like a fart in church, though. Nobody would go for, "You can't do this because someone else might ruin it for the rest of you." That was why probation didn't work, after all. Nobody likes their rights being infringed by the stupidity of others. That is "not fair" - especially in American society. The whole point of being an adult, is that you respect other adults, and furthermore, give them the benefit of the doubt to behave responsible. If our government didn't give us the benefit of the doubt to behave responsible, well things would be a lot different, wouldn't it? I doubt you'd be able to drive at all. <grin>

Edited by Casilla, 05 March 2006 - 05:22 PM.

#19 acidtears

acidtears
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:24 PM

wahhhhhhhh, i thought we couldnt discuss such matters on the boards!!

just to voice my opinion, i think its alright. Weed isnt as bad as alcohol in my opinion. The media makes it look like you're out of control when on weed but its not true...

#20 Sakura

Sakura
  • 2180 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:31 PM

My only wish for those who use pot on these boards is that I could make them live in Eureka Springs for a year.
It's where I grew up and through survery found that about 80% smoked pot. That was the most dysfunctional city on the planet.
I could use the same for those that believe a strictly liberal run government functions.
<_< Rawr, if only there was a way...

#21 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

i hate what marajuana can do to people (ive seen the results on close friends of mine) so no i dont agree with legalizing cannabis

#22 acidtears

acidtears
  • 889 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 05:51 PM

its true that TOO much of it can make you brain dead. Its like you dont want to do anything else but smoke. I have a friend like that, if he doesnt smoke he gets so grumpy and annoying. Im not at that point yet and hope i'll never be. I need to quit though.

#23 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

Your own stereotype can be used against you, though. Since your stereotype mandates that pot smokers will waste their lives away at home, then the rest of society won't have to deal with them, will it?

Well, I didn't literally mean they are home all the time. They go out. But not to do anything productive. The stoners I knew, basically any going out involved going to get alcohol, going to a party, going to a different place to hang out and do nothing, etc. Or just going outside and being generally disruptive. Of course the stoners I knew don't represent all stoners everywhere, but the description seems to jive with that of a lot of other people's descriptions of stoners they know :p I wouldn't have wanted to be the neighbors of the guy whose house we hung out at, that's for sure.

Once again, this can apply to anything done in excess. Do we send alcoholics who don't harm anyone to jail? Do we send obese people to jail? Do we send social recluses to jail? Of course not.

We should :p well, except the social recluses, but that debate is for another time.

Well, I for one would have a little more faith in my kids not to be idiots. If my kids DO turn out to be idiots, then hey, that's Darwin isn't it? I'll have to live with the fact that perhaps I raised my kids wrong, or perhaps my kids are just fools.

You give children too much credit. You talk about people being responsible adults, but then thrust the same responsibility on children. They are hardly at the same mental capacity as adults... And yes, you'll have to live with that fact... And if your child does come out wrong, everyone that has to deal with your child in the future, when they become adults, has to deal with that fact.

And once again, I relate this to anything else done in excess. When we live in a society, the good and bad of others is interwined with everyone. Should I jail someone just because they have bad BO? I have to live with it, I have to be around them. God damn, they SMELL, I should be able to do something about it.

BO isn't a mind altering drug :p

It goes back to smokers, as well. If secondhand cigarette wasn't dangerous (I'm still not convinced that it is outside of a 24/7 environment), but if it wasn't dangerous - would it have been banned from public places in a lot of states? Of course not. It may smell bad, but no one would take away a smoker's right to smoke UNLESS it harmed someone. Which was what secondhand smoke was all about. ;)

I would take it away. I say that as a smoker (going to quit soon though, just had to wait for a bit of stress in life to go away :p) that I'm all for smoking being illegal. No reason for it.

And furthermore, your analogy goes back to elementary school mandates. Little Johnny talked out of turn, so now, we don't get to go to recess. Is it fair to the rest of the class? Of course not. But hopefully peer pressure will make Little Johnny shape up, so that next time, the class CAN go to recess.

I see that kind of politics in adult society going over like a fart in church, though. Nobody would go for, "You can't do this because someone else might ruin it for the rest of you." That was why probation didn't work, after all. Nobody likes their rights being infringed by the stupidity of others. That is "not fair" - especially in American society. The whole point of being an adult, is that you respect other adults, and furthermore, give them the benefit of the doubt to behave responsible. If our government didn't give us the benefit of the doubt to behave responsible, well things would be a lot different, wouldn't it? I doubt you'd be able to drive at all. <grin>

We give far too much benefit of the doubt to adults as it is. And many can handle themselves just fine. However, what about those that cannot? While I'm sure there may be a few people that cross the boundaries and are both successful in life and potheads, but from what I have seen and what most people talk about seeing, that's not the case.

If it were something personal to them, like your earlier BO example, who cares? Let them have it until they realize they need to shower more. But when it comes to things like drugs, it's not as simple as that. In my personal opinion, it's silly to allow something bad to exist on the grounds that responsible people can handle it.

Not everyone is responsible, and the responsible people are not protected in life from the irresponsible ones. The stoners live in neighborhoods with the responsible people, the stoners drive on the roads with responsible people, the stoners could be with you at your work-place (assuming they have jobs, which with all the drug testing going on in places nowadays is increasingly less likely) and I don't know about you, but in those situations I wouldn't be happy with that.

I have to go back to the bubble concept... We aren't really in one, and the responsible adults cannot keep themselves or their children away from the irresponsible ones at all times. So as responsible adults, wouldn't it be responsible of us to keep the irresponsible ones from being irresponsible? Or is being passive to the problem the responsible thing to do?

With responsibility is the need to take action, and merely sitting by the side saying "other adults are responsible, so I won't stop them" is in itself an irresponsible act, as you very well know that not all other adults are responsible, and that they can indeed effect you and your family. If we are to be a responsible society, we need to recognize the portion of society that is not responsible and do as much as we can to stop it.

#24 muffinsforgod

muffinsforgod
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:21 PM

I think that Marijuana should be legal if alcohol is legal. The reasoning that I have behind this is that pot is typically safer than Alcohol.

I also think that if the government insists on keeping Pot illeagle then they should also make alcohol illeagle. ((of course this would lead to massive underground smuggling and a highly organized crime movement, as it has before.))

In my opinion (or the conspiricy theory that I adhere to) the only reason that pot is illeagle is based on the bias of White Americans who views Mexican Migrant workers as dirty. The white american used alcohol and the Hispanic Mexican population used alchol AND smoked pot.

There is also the theory that it was a coalition between the Nylon and Alchol Companies for basis on increasing a profit margin. but that is another story.

There is a PBS special I saw a while ago on how we can run diesel engins on a substance known as Hempoline (albeit not the same as Pot and more a dirivitive from the Hemp plants used to make Jewlery and Shirts) that in itself would help our counrty alot.

I could go on... and I may latter

#25 Vegas

Vegas
  • Why So Serious?

• 2323 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2006 - 05:04 PM

lol

this idea is very conflicting.i hear in canada they are making plans to legalize pot for government purposes.like the money they make off cigarette companies,they government just has to find a way to really exploit the use of weed to make profit.i mean that's all the benefit i see the government making with legalizing it.

but many people say it will be okay if you hae an age limit,but what do age limits really do?just makes you not go to the store.i mean i am not old enough to either drink or smoke but within half a day of school, i bet you i can get a hookup to either a pack of cigs or a joint(though i dont smoke or regularly blaze and not considered a stoner).i mean if we dont want kids to do this,legalizing it even with age limits isnt going to stop them.

alot of pot smokers come up with the idea that smoking is worse than smokin pot but it is way the other way around so they find it okay. i just think the difference of smokin being worse than cigs is that it has nicotine,which i dont think pot does.just look at alcohol.it is has an age limit set but still alot of kids my age can find ways to get their hands on it without going to the store.some people say that if pot becomes legal, the thrill of using it when it was illegal will go down.i think that will work for some people but suck up more people than it let out.

though smokin pot will not kill your life like everybody says.i know a couple of people in my school that still can keep their grades up and act like a normal kid, especially this one guy who blazes constantly,tried acid, and i think has even tried something called nightshade which is supposed to keep you high for days, but he is in honour roll with an above 80+ average.but honestly, i think 80% of the people who do blaze constantly have their grades and education drop.i know this one guy,suprisingly smart in math and i think smarter than me if he applied himself, but his addiction to weed has kept him on the 60's avg.pot will make you go into other things as if you smoke pot, u will likely hang with other people who do and most of them will lead you down the wrong path.

though it differs with many people when if they can keep in it moderation, i still think it will screw people up in their grades and studies and get them into trouble. as pot is so addictin for people to try because it is the "in" thing, i dont think they should legalize it,even though adults can handle it,it will suck up many young and developin teens and lead their lives the wrong way.but with the government being as money-hungry as they are,will legalize it just for the millions they will earn.i am not some killjoy kinda guy, i have smoked pot but seeing some of my friends being arrested and suspended from school,even though they were just chillin wit people blazin, and seeing how it makes people change,has really turned me off

Edited by Scope, 06 March 2006 - 05:08 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users