Photo

School Nurses...

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 volycz

volycz
  • 107 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

Do you think that school nurses do nothing to help you?

Like at my school if you go and tell them 'I'm feeling sick, or have a headache' they just go 'You should lie down, or should I go call your parents?' "We can't give you a panadol cos theres legal issues behind it.., we don't want to get sued if you overdose' I mean wtf!!
They do basically nothing at my school, like if you have a minor burn they go and call the ambulance??!! or have a really bad migraine and theres no way of getting home, they also call the ambulance and wait for them to give you some paracetamol...

#2 Bahbuu

Bahbuu
  • 2028 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:28 AM

good thing i can get panadol off OUR school nurse xD

#3 Cam

Cam
  • 1690 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

We cant take any type of drug off the teachers :( so if were sick like a headache we cant take panadol if its alright with our parents we can walk home.

#4 Lemonblood

Lemonblood
  • 2830 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:30 AM

I just take panadol with me :D

#5 Thrasher

Thrasher
  • 99 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 03:02 AM

When i was 7 a boy that was in the same class came at the yearly school nurse check and their the found out that he only could see with 1 eye.. so they went to the hospital and found out there that he had a huge cancer (tumor) in his head.

They were able to save him and remove the cancer.

so sometimes they can be usefull

#6 Pavin

Pavin
  • 96 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 07:23 AM

I don't think we have a school nurse :unsure:
But every teacher has a first aid kit, haha

#7 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:07 AM

We have one school nurse. He's a moron that the teachers bring to class to talk about drugs and sex when they don't feel like teaching.

#8 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:34 AM

With the things that you come to them for like headaches and nausea... what are THEY supposed to do about it? There is no immediate cure... most of those things you wait out. And they can't give drugs because say.. what if some kid was allergic to aspirin. What then? It's THEIR fault. Do you really think they want that responsibility over their heads?

School Nurses do not have the authority to do anything that's the problem. Again... the things that usually make you ill at school not even a hospital can do much about. So... basically what they are there for is to keep track of what they have. They will give you things like temporary crutches if you need them or band aids. They aren't useless...

#9 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:40 AM

Nurses are very useful for common things that might not last or be needed for long. However, their contributions help take work off the plate that would cause people annoyances and controversy.

#10 Magma

Magma
  • 792 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 10:29 AM

I dont think school nurses are useful other than to go their, tell them you feel "sick" and then you take a nap. Of coarse they dont have the legal rights to give you anything, but some nurses just dont give a damn at all. My school nurse barely does anything other than those screening tests. Then if someone comes in and says they dont feel good, she calls the parents or lets them sleep for the whole class. Its kinda ridiculous, getting paid to do nothing. But then again there are nurses who care and do what they can. But usually they are just damn lazy.

#11 |nfinite

|nfinite
  • 181 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:01 PM

Well.

If I ever wanted to miss class, I'd just go to the nurse and say:

"I'm not feeling that well, I feel like I have to throw up."

Then they'd be like:

"Ok, Call your parents and you can go home."

But, I haven't been to the nurse since 8'th grade. I'm a Senior in High School now and I still don't even know where the nurse's office is.

Never had to go.

#12 Sean

Sean
  • 6188 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

This is my friend's daily ruitine.
In 4th period, tell the teacher his (Insert anything he can think of here) hurts.
Then he goes to the office, either get the sleep ot go home =P

But the school nurse cures everything with...... AN ICEPACK! yayyy
I had a bloody nose and went to the office, she gave me an icepack. wtf! How does ice help a bloody nose?!

#13 iloveorange

iloveorange
  • 90 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

I would say basically useless, i've been to 9 or so schools, all of which pretty much decide if your faking it, or if you can go home.

#14 flashraven

flashraven
  • 552 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

There are no need for nurses to be in school when teachers would suffice. How often do you hear of an emergency in school anyway.

Edited by flashraven, 01 October 2010 - 09:30 PM.

#15 Gee

Gee
  • 498 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:30 AM

There are no need for nurses to be in school when teachers would suffice. How often do you hear of an emergency in school anyway.

You never know, really. In my school I feel it was necessary. There's places like laboratories where you did experiments or if you sprained an ankle at gym class. What about if you burn yourself in cooking class? Or hurt yourself somewhere? They may not be useful to everyone but when those situations happen it's great to have them handy.

Even in University, heh. They give out free condoms lols.

Edited by Gee, 02 October 2010 - 06:33 AM.

#16 MiladyM

MiladyM
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Dont think we ever had a schoolnurse :o But the school was right beside a doctors practice so it was never an issue. Everything is close by in this tiny country xD
Guess its more neccesary in America cause not everything is around the corner :)

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2010 - 12:51 PM

OMG gravedig. iloveorange, you're related to Cody right? Because I would hate you in a heartbeat for doing this, if you weren't his blood relation.

That said, I have nothing to say on the school nurse topic.

I will say OMG Bahbuu, Sean & Tetiel.

#18 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:08 AM

It's been nearly two days since redlion replied to this thread. DON'T LET IT DIE, PEOPLE. It's an important issue, and there's so much to discuss! How could a topic about school nurses possibly ever be fully talked about? We can't just decide they're useless and stop talking about it. This thread is two years old, and was revived for A REASON, PEOPLE. COME ON!  

I have no opinion about school nurses. 

#19 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:17 AM

I have no opinion about school nurses.

There is a chance that they are hot.

That is all I have to say on this subject.

#20 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:27 AM

Well, I didn't go to highschool, never attended the nurse in middle school, so the only experience I had was in elementary school. She looked like John Denver. Rocky mountain hiii-IIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

#21 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 04:31 AM

Well, I didn't go to highschool, never attended the nurse in middle school, so the only experience I had was in elementary school. She looked like John Denver. Rocky mountain hiii-IIIIIIIIIIIIGH.

That must have been entertaining every time you went to see the nurse.

Also, happy 2,000th post and such and stuff.

#22 Faval

Faval
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:55 AM

That is all I have to say on this subject.

Eh...I don't know about that fantasy of hot nurses but I haven't seen any no matter where I go...minus halloween related nurses and dress up :p

Edited by Faval, 06 October 2010 - 06:55 AM.

#23 Fresca

Fresca
  • 514 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:04 AM

I'm at a university now and since we're one of the largest in the country we have our own hospital/clinic that's free for students so obviously I haven't been to a school nurse in a while.

The only reason I would go in middle school and high school was because the nurse was useless. I'd act nauseous and she'd immediately let me go home. My mom hated it in middle school but once I started driving myself to school (so she didn't have to come pick me up every time I got "sick") it was golden.

#24 chocolaki

chocolaki
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

the nurse at my school does not do anything if you say you're sick, have come away

#25 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Because of legal issues my school nurses couldn't give out medications to help either. If someone had a problem they basically just had them lay down with an ice pack on their head until their parents came to pick them up. But they did keep pads, tampons and band aids handy for emergencies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users