Human guinea pig

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#26 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

Drugs on brains are usually done on chimps though. Their brain and ours are very similar.
And unless survival in cold water is going to cure someone of something, that's a pretty pointless experiment. (But I've not really looked into this once, so I'll keep my mouth shut here)

And regarding the ethical side of it. The research produced doesn't JUST help humans, it helps animals too. In the last century, we've made so many medical advancements because we've tested on animals! Transplants for instance :p

The reason why I think testing on animals is more ethical, is because a lot of animals can't anticipate pain or even remember it. It doesn't effect them, the way it would a human.

The volunteer takes the risk and should fully realize the possiblilities of being a guinea pig. The animals just get dragged through and are probably treated far worse then a human would be.

And why "properly" execute people on death row? Some of them certainly don't deserve free food and a quick, painless death.

#27 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:10 PM

And who decides who gets put on death row? What's that got to do with anything. It's a totally different subject. I wouldn't wish anything on anybody facing death row, except a quick death.

Like I said, most animals have a delayed reaction to pain, or they can't remember it... it seems to make sense to me to use that advantage.

Participants in such trials... well like somebody said before in this thread, it was already tested on animals, it should have been safe. Human testing, is a much smaller risk... a lot of the time it would be worth the money. But- imagine how desperate you'd have to be to submit yourself to it! To do it for the money, and risk your life? It's all about the money.

If the animal protesters are so riled up, why don't they submit themselves for testing?

#28 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:20 PM

Drugs on brains are usually done on chimps though. Their brain and ours are very similar.
And unless survival in cold water is going to cure someone of something, that's a pretty pointless experiment. (But I've not really looked into this once, so I'll keep my mouth shut here)

These were just examples, but I (don't) think it gets the point across. Anyway, how do you expect a monkey to tell you precisely about subjective experiences? Now THAT would be an achievement!
Generally monkeys DO talk, but not in a language we can understand unfortunately :p

#29 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:26 PM

These were just examples, but I (don't) think it gets the point across. Anyway, how do you expect a monkey to tell you precisely about subjective experiences? Now THAT would be an achievement!
Generally monkeys DO talk, but not in a language we can understand unfortunately :p

Isn't the cure the most important thing? Of course they are examples. If I were to give you EVERYTHING I'd be here all effin' day :p

Imagine! If we were to scrap animal testing, and we used humans. Death row people even. Ask yourselves what the outcome would be.

1. A huge population decline. And then the next thing we know, you'll be suggesting we use the chinese.

2. Are there enough death row people to cover this? No there aren't.

3. The advancement of medicine will be slower, and when you, or someone you know is sick, we haven't got the cure. In any case, when you are given medicine, does it not make you feel better that it's been tested?

For everyone who wants to argue testing on animals, I say it again: would you volunteer yourselves? Most animal testers wouldn't.

xD Blackhawk :) We can understand monkey's by their body language XD Or at least that's what some people say :p

#30 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:38 PM

Imagine! If we were to scrap animal testing, and we used humans. Death row people even. Ask yourselves what the outcome would be.

1. A huge population decline. And then the next thing we know, you'll be suggesting we use the chinese.

The Chinese? Why, it's quite a good idea! There's a bit *too* much of them... :rolleyes:

2. Are there enough death row people to cover this? No there aren't.

3. The advancement of medicine will be slower, and when you, or someone you know is sick, we haven't got the cure. In any case, when you are given medicine, does it not make you feel better that it's been tested?

Have I said anything against testing on animals? I just meant that when a drug tests safe on ANIMALS, it should be tested on HUMANS afterward, but only on such people that are meant to die shortly anyway.

Edited by BlackHawk, 22 March 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#31 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:41 PM

The Chinese? Why, it's quite a good idea! There's a bit *too* much of them... :rolleyes:

Have I said anything against testing on animals? I just meant that when a drug tests safe on ANIMALS, it should be tested on HUMANS afterward, but only on such people that are meant to die shortly anyway.

I know I know, I did read your first post in here :p It's just a subject I feel very strongly about, and I wanted to emphasise my point. I'm not sure I agree on the "death row" thing, but I can understand the practicality of it.

And the chinese comment was quite funny xD I laughed. (But I'll still scold you for the nastyness of it XD)

#32 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:30 AM

Suz is making me bump this. I don't know why it wasn't moved to the Debate forum...one of you mods should do that. :p

I don't know how it works in the UK or anywhere else.

But in AMERICA...

Here's the deal about Death Row inmates and why you CANNOT do drug testing on them:

A) Prisoners have rights that are protected by the supreme law of the land - the Constitution.

Amendment VIII - Cruel and Unusual punishment. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.

There are, of course, other State and federal laws that protect the rights of criminals, such as the Miranda law, but who cares about those. The Constitution reigns supreme.

Drug testing without consent would constitute as cruel and unusual punishment. While most drug tests won't have the affect that TGN1412 did - most would be quite harmless - the possibility that it could happen means that it would be against the Eighth Amendment and thus illegal...until we are ready to amend the Constitution in order to allow it.

B) Most of the prisoners who are on Death Row are in the middle of some sort of appeal. Generally, this goes to the State Supreme Court (in other words, this would be their third trial, and the second time they have appealed) or the Intermediate Court of Appeals (for federal offenses, their second trial or first time they have appealed). Very few will make it to the Supreme Court.

However, while the Sixth Amendment does guaruntee a criminal a right to speedy trial...this only counts towards the first trial, in the District Courts (federal level) or Major/Minor Trial Courts (state level). The trials going on in the appellate level (as in, they are appealing, but are not at the US Supreme Court level) can last for years and years. The process leading UP to the trial...in other words, them waiting in line to be tried...can be years and years. The court system is that slow. =P

So at any given time, MOST of the prisoners on the Death Row are going to have or are in the middle of an appeal. What that means is that - you can't touch them, because there is still a chance they could be found not guilty and released, or at the very least, be taken off Death Row. The latter is quite common. And the former has happened especially with all these cases that are being appealed based on new DNA evidence that revealed their innocence.

It turns out that we HAVE killed people before who were innocent - now that we have DNA evidence, we've found out that there have been mistakes in the past. And there still could BE innocent people on Death Row, even though they were found guilty. That sucks, but hey, whaddyagonna do? The possibility always exists. Hey, we're gonna kill them - why torture them, too?

Which ALSO brings up the point that some are just mentally ill. The whole "get off with insanity plea" thing is relatively new, and there still exists a large number of people in the prison system...and on Death Row...who really are probably mentally ill. So you're subjecting a mentally ill person to torture? Good going.

C) At any time, a prisoner on Death Row can be pardoned by the governor of that State or by the President. Once again, don't laugh, it HAS happened before. And guess what...once you're pardoned, it doesn't matter what you did, you're free to go. Clinton pardoned a ton of people in the last few weeks he was President. I'm sure Bush will do the same. At the very least, the governor or President can remove the death sentence, which is more frequent. A certain criminal will get a lot of media attention, the governor will buckle under the pressure and the prisoner will be removed from Death Row.

There's movies or whatever, where like five minutes before they kill the guy, there's a call from the governor. That HAS happened.

So what is the point of that? If you are talking about Death Row inmates only...then you can't, simply because someone could be taken off at any time - and by then, he's not going to die, and you've possibly made him live the rest of his life in pain. A very long, horrible life.

And if you're talking about people who could possibly be pardoned - well, then you're talking about mutilating a potentially free citizen, who has to live the rest of his life in pain.

And let's extend this...let's say that it's ALL people who have life imprisonment without parole shall be subject to drug testing. You've got people who done a severity of crimes...some very nasty who didn't get the death penalty...some who did something relatively minor. You've got too much going on. How can you justify - as something they deserve - in a sample too wide and varied?

D) Not all States HAVE the death penalty, anyway. You've got a bit of an unfair assumption going on - it's better to do your crime in this State, because you won't be tortured.

As of July 1, 2005, there were 3,415 prisoners awaiting execution in the United States. Of these, seven were officially on Death Row in more than one U.S. state.

And somehow...I doubt that's enough people for them to do their drug testing, even if none of them were in the middle of an appeal. =P

E) It doesn't make sense scientifically. When they do drug testing, most of the time they are looking for people with certain qualifications. They have a family history of this, they've suffered that before, etc etc. Very rarely do they just pick normal people off the street.

And even then, would you qualify Death Row inmates as normal? If you're looking for just a healthy body, that's one thing. But most drug testing looks at psychological effects, as well. As I said before, I seriously doubt that all of the people on Death Row are in their right mind. Most of them probably are certifiably insane. Because they have a mental illness, they already have disqualified themselves for most testing because it would affect the outcome, unless it was a drug to help that specific condition.

Most prisoners who aren't insane already share the same psychological profile anyway, thus making them a horrible test sample.

Also, the prison system is corrupt. There are a lot of (illegal) drugs going through there, and so you will also have quite a few people who could possibly have an foreign substance that would disrupt the testing.

And FURTHERMORE, the population is small, once again. If you're doing drug testing, you cannot have foreign substances going through the body - like previous drug tests. Depending on the substance, it can stay in the body for quite a long time, so once you start testing, the sample of healthy, drug-free participants goes down dramatically. That is to say, a previous experiment didn't do something irreversible, at which point they would disqualify for all further drug tests - because once again, it could affect the outcome of testing.

So you'd run out of participants very, very quickly. The test sample is not varied, thus it's a bad experiment. And it's possible that previous testing could affect future testing. So why would ANY clinical study want to test on Death Row inmates? It wouldn't make sense from the standpoint of a scientist.

------

Oh, and...I'm all for animal testing, as long as testing follows the hierarchy of dumbest to smartest - which it does. They start on mice, and progress up to monkeys, even chimps, at which point you carry on to humans. Therefore, any animal with any sort of ability to experience pain and remember the effects (traumatized) won't get the drug until it's already undergone other testing, and hopefully the worst ones are already weeded out by then. The final animal being humans. =P

Humans ARE animals, and if were going to do ANY testing, why discriminate. At least start from the bottom and go to the top, as they do now.

There's nothing wrong with the current system. <shrugs>

It sucks that something like that happened, but - y'know...those cases are so rare that we shouldn't be scared off from all drug testing because of it. Shit happens, try to learn from it, and get over it. That's all you can do if you're gonna progress forward.

Edited by Casilla, 23 March 2006 - 06:17 AM.

#33 Brad

Brad
  • How about a magic trick?

• 4565 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 05:39 AM

Since it has turned into one. *moves to the debate forum*

#34 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:11 AM

You still have it in you Casilla xD

I'm going to put that in a notepad, for when I next come up a debate like this in real life.

#35 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:14 AM

You still have it in you Casilla xD

I'm going to put that in a notepad, for when I next come up a debate like this in real life.

<3 I was afraid no one was going to read it. <_<

Y'know, you'd probably have to find out how courts and prisoner rights work in the UK first, though. :p But :heart: all the same.

And I can just imagine you..."Wait, hold it! <pulls out a computer, waits for it to boot up, finds file> Ah ha! <raises index finger in a factual manner> Actually..."

#36 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:20 AM

<3 I was afraid no one was going to read it. <_<

Y'know, you'd probably have to find out how courts and prisoner rights work in the UK first, though. :p But :heart: all the same.

And I can just imagine you..."Wait, hold it! <pulls out a computer, waits for it to boot up, finds file> Ah ha! <raises index finger in a factual manner> Actually..."

Nah, I got Kitsune to read it too :) and maybe Doug :p

I will find out about prisoner rights :) We don't have the death penalty anyway.

You know that's another point. If we are targeting death row people, that means you are disregarding human equality. We'd have to test on people ONLY in countries with death row!

:D
What a lame thing to say after your essay Cas XD

#37 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:29 AM

You know that's another point. If we are targeting death row people, that means you are disregarding human equality. We'd have to test on people ONLY in countries with death row!

:D
What a lame thing to say after your essay Cas XD

No, that's a good point. Medical testing would be focused in countries that only had Death Row, so therefore, the countries who didn't do it would lose out in any medical research - which MEANS, that more countries would be inclined to implement it once they began to notice the decline in their medical scientist...population.

Which sounds like such a horrible slippery slope fallacy...

But...has merit...certainly, it has foreign policy manipulation merit...as in, us manipulating them...

Oh, just think...we could get capital punishment instated in other countries if we did that right...oh...no more would we be the barbaric Americans! Wait, am I arguing FOR Death Row inmate testing?

Ahaha, hi. Good one, Suz. You almost got me.

:heart:

Oh, and what do you mean, I still have it in me? Did you ever doubt me, Suzanne? My ability to "wall-o-text" has never waned...my desire (or lack thereof) to repeat the same debate over and over again (as has been the general thing, lately) is the culprit...

I still want that "average word count per post" counter. <hums>

Edited by Casilla, 23 March 2006 - 06:44 AM.

#38 Guest_Analogué_*

Guest_Analogué_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:34 AM

No, I never doubted you.

I'd LOVE it if a new member came to codex, who was this ultimate debate master, and just so happened to have the opposite opinion to you :D It would be GREAT to watch :p

#39 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 March 2006 - 06:52 AM

Completely agreed, Casilla.

#40 BlackHawk

BlackHawk
  • 1676 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:18 AM

And yet again I'm bringing up the Chinese:

So even if drug testing on convicted criminals is illegal in the US, what about China? I think they still have the death penalty (China or Korea? hmm), and moreover, it's a totalitarian country (the latter even more than the former), so the government not only FUNDS a lot of the research, but they also make sure that noone ever knows of their exploits, and that's why we don't think they do it - but in reality, it's quite likely that they do. :rolleyes:

#41 Guest_Casilla_*

Guest_Casilla_*

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:35 AM

And yet again I'm bringing up the Chinese:

So even if drug testing on convicted criminals is illegal in the US, what about China? I think they still have the death penalty (China or Korea? hmm), and moreover, it's a totalitarian country (the latter even more than the former), so the government not only FUNDS a lot of the research, but they also make sure that noone ever knows of their exploits, and that's why we don't think they do it - but in reality, it's quite likely that they do. :rolleyes:

Well, who cares about China? I certainly don't care what they do. They're already the enemy for most - or rather, the suspicious enemy we'll trade with but don't like, otherwise. So the idea that they could manipulate us wouldn't pan out because we're already predisposed against them.

And as my last point made, the best reason not to do it has more to do with the sample than with the ethics. It doesn't make sense at all, scientifically, to base your test sample off of a group of people sharing a pretty major trait - they all are criminals.

Now.

One could argue that in a totalitarian state that jails people for no good reason, the test sample would probably be a bit more varied in actuality...but then the government would have to admit that it was jailing innocents. At least to the scientists. And while I'm willing to admit there are scientists who would not give a damn - in the name of science - who they were testing on, I'm sure there's a lot that wouldn't do it. China is totalitarian, yes, but they aren't that totalitarian. The public has been shifting very Western lately, and while the government has been trying desperately to curb it, they've failed more often than not and just let it work out. It is productive for their economy, after all.

Now, if you're saying it's already HAPPENING? No. Wouldn't believe it unless I saw it. Once again, I don't put it past the government to be capable, but I certainly don't think they're doing it now. China certainly isn't the forefront of medical research when it comes to drugs, nor would it be, with such horrid experimental practices. The only reason why it's on the forefront at ALL right now is because of stem cell research, nothing more.

Without privatised healthcare - or rather, pharmaceuticals - there isn't a financial drive to push medical research - where is why MOST of the research going on right is all about. Yes yes, let's do this in the name of science and the betterment of humanity...but the betterment of humanity isn't going to fund your research, and the government can only do so much, even China. So without a private drive, and without a definite need (such as flu vaccine), there is never any true advances in medical technology...no matter WHO you're testing it on. <grin>

Edited by Casilla, 23 March 2006 - 07:38 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users