Racism and Religious Intolerance

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 RandomNameIgnoreIt

RandomNameIgnoreIt
  • 1828 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

(Since everyone is using the Israel/Palestine topic to debate race and religion, let's have a topic for it, instead of cluttering that one, shall we? =o)

Racism and Religious Intolerance are bad. Debate on.

#2 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

agreed kthxbai :D

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:55 PM

I agree...its not needed. Period...

especially not on this forum :p

#4 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:04 PM

Racist generalizations even "positive' generalizations are harmful. Let's say someone generalizes that asians are smart or people of african descent run fast... what happens to the people that are asian and are NOT smarter than the average bear and the africans who cannot run quickly are shamed. They do not live up to "expectations" and feel inferior. I made the mistake once with some of my asian friends a long time ago and made what I thought was an innocent remark about how all asians are smart and they taught me that things like that actually hurt a lot... all of us need to tolerate a little more. Even what seems like a positive racist remark stings :(

#5 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

Racist generalizations even "positive' generalizations are harmful. Let's say someone generalizes that asians are smart or people of african descent run fast... what happens to the people that are asian and are NOT smarter than the average bear and the africans who cannot run quickly are shamed. They do not live up to "expectations" and feel inferior. I made the mistake once with some of my asian friends a long time ago and made what I thought was an innocent remark about how all asians are smart and they taught me that things like that actually hurt a lot... all of us need to tolerate a little more. Even what seems like a positive racist remark stings :(

Thats a very important point and often times a point we overlook. Thanks Tetiel :)

#6 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:10 PM

I am not sure what this topic is about, but I believe its about how racism is just bad in general. If that's the case you get my rant now.

So I am not racist. Not even a little bit, but I see that now 'n days more blacks are racist then whites. Everyday in school you here some black guy call some white guy a cracker. I personally don't see it as a derogatory term, since it was derived from slaves calling their "master" Cracker from the sound of the whip, but most do see it as a derogatory term. I do know that their are still white racist out there and all but it seems like blacks are more racist now then whites. That could just be my school and environment though.

How exactly do you think an end should be put to racism? By opening all African American Colleges? By Offering Minority scholarships? I personally think it is fucking bull shit that a "black" girl would get a 100% paid tuition/room and board/ books and everything else scholarship while in high school she only had a 2.2 GPA and only scored a 17 on the ACT's because she is a minority. Now on the other hand I am the "majority" but have a 3.6 GPA and scored a 22 on the ACT's, but yet I cant get a scholarship of any kind to that school since I am not black. How exactly is that ending racism?

Religious issues are very hard to handle. They will be around FOREVER and their is nothing anyone can do about it. Everyone has their own views on how the world works and with their views come their passion which comes their argument.

#7 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:20 PM

How do you stop racism? Integration. My father was in the army in Vietman and he was stationed with a lot of blacks. He had never really been around a lot of them because he grew up in a white neighborhood. He learned that blacks are hardly any different than whites. They joke around with their friends, they drink, they have fun just like everybody else in the army did. My dad learned... they aren't different at all. They're just... human.

If everybody is mixed together and they realize that everybody is just human and we are really not so different from each other... and if we educate people that racism is wrong then it will take a big blow :) It already has ^_^

#8 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

The only thing I don't like about Racial and religious tolerance is "hate crimes." I don't like that how stupid people can be about them. If someone stones a black person to death, its a crime. Their motive might be because of racism, but the bias about that is really...fucking..annoying. People are people, and thats my final answer.

#9 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:51 PM

It's not needed deep inside we're all the same bloody little containers of organs and bones. If we can set aside out differences we will have peace :D

On a side note I don't like how some Catholics think their god is different from the Muslim and Jewish and God and think they can say what ever they want about us <_<

#10 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2006 - 09:02 PM

I think everyone should just be one religion lol... would be simpler no? =S
People get too riled up over religion nowadays. Thats why I prefer simple spirituality over actual religion.

Ofcourse Racism and Religious Intolerance is not needed what else is there to say. It shows how the nature of humans is not good.

#11 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:32 AM

Where do you draw the line between racism and xenophobia? It's not that I hate foreigners, it's just I hate them in my country, or just the mass majority.

Yes, it does sound racist, but I'm really not, I don't care if a person's black, muslim, asian, whatever, it's just because of the mass immigrants coming (illegal and legal), times have changed, people have changed, laws have changed and everything else has changed, for better and worse, I hate it all though, I hate change.

Don't get me wrong, alot of immigrants work their fingers to the bone, and I applaud them for that, because hell, I can't work hard no matter what :p, but I just can't change the way I feel, like you guys can't help the way you feel about this topic.

I mean, should I change my feelings and beliefs just to make everyone else happy? Or should I just join another xenophobic board?

You see in these kinds of subjects I usually play devil's advocate, meaning alot of people get pissed off because they think I'm siding with racists, but the things, I don't care if you're racist or not, I'll still hang around with you, it depends on who you are, not your beliefs.

Hell, I can't be racist (well I can..but :p), some of my closest friends are asian or of asian race, I've even been out with a couple of asian girls (hell asian girls are better then white girls imo..:D:D:D), unfortunatly I have no blacks friends. This doesn't mean I'm racist, it just means around my area, I've never met any black people my own age, I like and want to hang around with.

#12 Raui

Raui
  • 5687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:48 AM

Racisim, Im against it and when mass number of people target another mass of people and start being racist (which is what caused the aussies and the lebenise to fight in cronulla) is just plain stupid. Theres nothing different about the black, white and asian besides the way we look. The same things kill us, we are all humans so lets face it theres no need for racisim.

I wish that one day either one single religion is found to be true or we meet intelligent alien life forms and therefore kissing any chance of god out the window (unless theres a martian version of jesus or something similar). Personally i dont know what to think of religion because it causes so much greif yet so much joy and happiness and so because of that at the moment theres no god that i worship.

#13 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

I don't think everyone should be the same religion. Even if say, there is a God, he probably allowed these for a reason. The real thing that there should be is community, regardless of worship.

#14 llywelyn

llywelyn
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 10:34 AM

Personally I think people need to lighten up and stop looking like their sucking on a lemon every time they hear a word they don't like. It's in our nature to be competitive. The sooner people accept that, the better.

Also, I think it's a bit ludicrous the way that an Englishman can laugh and make jokes about a Frenchman, but if he does it about an African or an Asian it's automatically racist. When in reality there's no real difference. It's just natural competitiveness...

And I also don't like the way certain minorities, mentioning no names, use long-passed events in history to get their own way. So someone of your nationality endured years of rape and pillage centuries before you were even born... what do you want, a medal?

I'm not even going to get started on religion.

#15 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:38 PM

Personally I think people need to lighten up and stop looking like their sucking on a lemon every time they hear a word they don't like. It's in our nature to be competitive. The sooner people accept that, the better.

Also, I think it's a bit ludicrous the way that an Englishman can laugh and make jokes about a Frenchman, but if he does it about an African or an Asian it's automatically racist. When in reality there's no real difference. It's just natural competitiveness...

And I also don't like the way certain minorities, mentioning no names, use long-passed events in history to get their own way. So someone of your nationality endured years of rape and pillage centuries before you were even born... what do you want, a medal?

I'm not even going to get started on religion.

haha, I like you. Its true, as the majority (at least, in america), whites are constantly targeted as being racists. I'm sick of everyone elso being able to be proud of their race, but I can't, because I'm white. What the hell kind of double standard is that?

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

But then shouldn't Neo-nazi's, communists and other politcial parties be able to promote themselves since they can be a lifestyle choice, a religion is a lifestyle choice and people can brag or promote that as much as they want, but political parties like nazi's cant? I just don't get that shit.

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

But there's a difference. You can be proud of your race without being a neonazi or a member of the kkk (or the black panthers). Nazism pretty much ends in killing (extermination of inferior races and whatnot).

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:50 PM

And why can't they promote if it's their lifestyle? I mean, muslims, blacks, gays etc can, why can't me and Blackhawk support ours?

That's predujice.

#19 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 01:04 PM

haha, I like you. Its true, as the majority (at least, in america), whites are constantly targeted as being racists. I'm sick of everyone elso being able to be proud of their race, but I can't, because I'm white. What the hell kind of double standard is that?

White power.

Oh yeah, i may be against wars about race, and I dont be malicious to races, but I will slip my mouth a few times. I'm a guy whos pretty mixed of european descent. As for words - who really gives a flying CENSORED? Seriously theyre just words. If words hurt you, then you take things pretty seriously. Now if you want to be violent or corrupt about it, then thats where i dont like it. If a redneck calls a black guy a CENSORED, and the black guy attacks him, it makes me feel the black guy is more insecure with the word. People have become really uncofmtorable with other people nowadays.

If you call an Asian oriental, theyll get pissed that you didn't say they were Korean or Japanese or whatever the hell they are... thats what angers me. Don't blow each other up about it, but instead embrace their jokes. If someone calls me a cracker or a sand CENSORED, i ususally take the laugh with them... but some people. It's a fucking joke. The line between racism and joking is another debate which gets my blood boiling. But of course, I don't give all my real opinions here, mainly because I'd probably be considered one of the biggest dicks here.

#20 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:18 PM

And why can't they promote if it's their lifestyle? I mean, muslims, blacks, gays etc can, why can't me and Blackhawk support ours?

That's predujice.

Your rights to free speech and actions are cut off when they inhibit the rights and freedoms of other peoples. Something like that anyway :p

No group should get any special treatment and no groups should be treated unjustly. Get rid of the united negro college fund, get rid of free land for the natives, get rid of all the shit. If our governments want to establish racist free envorionments, they can't give benefits to a minority. Where I live, almost every hates the natives because they have benefits, live on reserves for free, get about 700 dollars (every last one of them for no reason at all), get free college and uni enrollment amongst other things. If they had to work for what they get like everyone else, there wouldn't be a division amongst peoples in my neighborhood (for that reason).

#21 Ives

Ives
  • 4320 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:52 PM

Your rights to free speech and actions are cut off when they inhibit the rights and freedoms of other peoples. Something like that anyway :p

No group should get any special treatment and no groups should be treated unjustly. Get rid of the united negro college fund, get rid of free land for the natives, get rid of all the shit. If our governments want to establish racist free envorionments, they can't give benefits to a minority. Where I live, almost every hates the natives because they have benefits, live on reserves for free, get about 700 dollars (every last one of them for no reason at all), get free college and uni enrollment amongst other things. If they had to work for what they get like everyone else, there wouldn't be a division amongst peoples in my neighborhood (for that reason).

What their ancestors went through DOES NOT reflect on them.

#22 Funnlecake

Funnlecake
  • 2076 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

I dont think much of making fun of peoples races. neather do my freinds or just about any student in the school. that I know. I frecquntly call my white freinds and myself cracker or white devil. Its all good fun but some people just dont reilize that. As for hatred, I dont carry to much of that. If your trying for a better future, youre ok in my book. As for religion, I dont think there should be any kind at all. I will say anything about anyone, and I dont give a fuckizzle what they think, if I dont want to know what there thinking.

its really funny when people call me ignerant

#23 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:12 PM

Racism in general is negitive. No matter what you say or how you say it, some one will be offended ..
It's also one of the things codex needs to be strict(er) about.

heh I don't think anyone here knows my nationality, actually.. :p

#24 Stryyp

Stryyp
  • 2788 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

I don't dislike any races or religions ^_^

I do make jokes about Mexican's though, but I never mean it in a serious manner. In my area, we have alot of people who are (Most likely) illegal immigrants, and yeah, it does piss me off when they are here and I DO generally make mean jokes about them, but it isn't because they are Mexican, just illegal.

I do admit I sometimes feel uncomfortable around black people. Not because I dislike them, but I just think THEY feel uncomfortable around me, and in turn I feel uncomfortable around them :p

We Mormon's are pretty easy going people ^_^

#25 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:04 PM

I know you don't want to hear it, but here it is!
Cata's views on discrimination (generalized).

On Race:
There will ALWAYS be racism. As stupid as it is, people will always find something wrong with people not like them. It's human nature. I think helping minorities is wrong. Welfare (although used by whites) is prodominantly used by blacks. Well, by 2015 ALL races will be minorities, and we will still have racism.

On Religion:

"Religion is the opiate of the people."

This means people will always have religion, and most will die trying to keep it. While I find all religion ignorant (my opinion), mos tpeople believe in some form of "God". The masses have a need to believe in something bigger and more important than them. It's part of human nature.

As long as anyhting in this world is different form aomething else, the WILL BE DISCRIMINATION. I view discrimination as ignorant and closed minded.

Anyone that is retarded

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users