Healthy Foods in Schools

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Martin

Martin
  • User under investigation - Potential scammer

• 772 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

Since kindergarden I have been bombarded with ads advising people to eat healthy foods. These ads are placed in school cafeterias and are shown on TV. Lately Americans have become obsessed over loosing weight and helping people prevent themselves from being fat. For as long as I can remember my schools offer a wide variety of food choices. Many of those choices are healty foods!

Now everyone wants to get rid of soda and snack vending machines at schools or they want to change all the items in the machines to healthy choices. Why is health being crammed down our throats? I am not fat and I watch my diet. What is the problem with getting a Coke after school? Why should those who eat right have to pay for those who dont by drinking Fanta Fruit Juice?

In conclusion I understand the need to keep people in school healthy but I beleive there should be a choice. You should be able to stuff yourself so fat you die and you should be able to eat healthy foods as well.

Discuss

#2 lookie1st

lookie1st
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:21 AM

I agree. You should have the choice. Just provide healthy foods and some regular 'unhealthy' snacks. Give kids a the chance to decide for themselves. They really have been going nuts with this in High schools in Arizona.

#3 fonkeymonkey

fonkeymonkey
  • 894 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

No such thing as healthy food in schools, its bombared with fats and they probally deepfry anything that can potentially be healthy. Thats why I bring my own food to school.

#4 AnnaBella

AnnaBella
  • 356 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:03 PM

You should have a choice...I don't think I could've gotten through high school without coke and spree.

~Anna~

#5 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:49 PM

No such thing as healthy food in schools, its bombared with fats and they probally deepfry anything that can potentially be healthy. Thats why I bring my own food to school.

They dont deep fry, they have these ovens capable of mass producing things. With that said, however, the food usually is unhealthy.

Yes- Bringing your own food is a way to counter the unhealthy school food. You also could bring unhealthy food from home to school :shifty: :shifty:

Im out of shape- I truly dont care about my weight. I enjoy life, and part of that is the ability to make choices. Eating healthy/unhealthy is a choice I want to be able to make.

#6 BarCode

BarCode
  • 421 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:53 PM

A healthy diet also consists of "unhealthy" food such as a piece of cake or a candy bar. Your body needs fat to function properly. You should get to choose your own food.

#7 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:39 PM

Why should those who eat right have to pay for those who dont by drinking Fanta Fruit Juice?

Hey mean, that juice rules :p . Its not anymore healthy than pop either xD

#8 Martin

Martin
  • User under investigation - Potential scammer

• 772 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Yes- Bringing your own food is a way to counter the unhealthy school food. You also could bring unhealthy food from home to school :shifty: :shifty:

Thanks what ive gotten into the habit of doing! :D

Hey mean, that juice rules :p . Its not anymore healthy than pop either xD

ok bad example :p How about Farmer Dons Fresh Prune Juice :D

#9 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:34 PM

Thanks what ive gotten into the habit of doing! :D
ok bad example :p How about Farmer Dons Fresh Prune Juice :D

I can always use a good bowel movement :lol:

#10 fonkeymonkey

fonkeymonkey
  • 894 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:36 PM

"Live life, Die young"

#11 Stepoo

Stepoo
  • 791 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:29 PM

Agreed. The choice to clog our arteries should be ours, but I think that public schools (Kindergarten to grade 6) should have only healthy choices because most of the young kids don't have the mental capacity to understand that unhealthy eating could potentially have negative effects later in life.

#12 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

Eat what you damn well please. Kids aren't forced to eat school lunch. Fuck em all I say. Go shove a twinkie in your pipe and smoke it.,

#13 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:43 PM

This epidemic has hit my school as well, sadly. Instead of giving a free burger lunch the first day of school like they always do, they are giving us "healthy lunches" instead. <_< Rawr!!!! SL no likey healthy lunches, only burger! :(

#14 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:45 PM

Its not like the burger was that great :lol: . I'll stick with healthy foods, less chance of scary cafeteria people touching it.

#15 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:46 PM

Its not like the burger was that great :lol: . I'll stick with healthy foods, less chance of scary cafeteria people touching it.

It's a barbeque though. :( Who can pass off BBQ!!

#16 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:18 PM

Im out of shape- I truly dont care about my weight. I enjoy life, and part of that is the ability to make choices. Eating healthy/unhealthy is a choice I want to be able to make.

You can still enjoy life, but stay in shape. Eating unhealthy is only one factor which leads to obesity. Try doing at least one active thing every day, especially over the summer.

#17 �ƻ

�ƻ
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:29 PM

I don't know...I don't think all the healthy food stuff donsn't taste a lot different from the normal stuff. Now mind you i'm pretty skinny/light for my age. One thing that I think improved in the healthy food at least at our school is the chips. The baked chips taste so much better then the normal ones do <3 Baked Ruffles!

#18 Blaine

Blaine
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

I see it this way:

If you want a choice, then you have a choice. BYOL, Bring Your Own Lunch. Health is a very important thing, yet people just don't seem to care enough. The health fad right now is just a result of pressure put on proccessed food manufactures. Do they care if you're healthy? No, but the want to make it seem that way so you can shut up.
The big issue is that people are not educated about health. There are no totally safe ways to magically lose weight/get healthy. Sure we can start with incorporating healthier foods at school, but what will that do? You're gonna grab a bag of fridos and coke when you get home. If you care so much about YOUR health, take initiative.
If the schools really want to help, how bout we reform the current physical Ed. standards in our schools? Why don't we have classes for or incorporate healthy lifestyle lessons into our existing health classes? I'm all for a healthier nation, but we as individuals need to make the effort in our own lives.

#19 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:31 PM

Well right now my school... well old school now... has only a couple choices for the most part and they're all pretty unhealthy. Sure they offer healthy sides like cottage cheese or carrots. But with the fruit it's covered in corn syrup >_< The entrees are horrible. They have hamburgers, chickenwitches, eggrolls, vegetable lasagna (all times I have gotten horribly sick after eating), french fries, tater tots, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, tacos, and pizza. Out of those entrees... NONE are healthy. They're filled with fats. The hamburgers have grease dripping off them. It's disgusting. They DO need to offer more healthy choices because really... the only thing healthy to eat is in the ala carte place and that's a PBandJ sandwitch.

#20 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

You can still enjoy life, but stay in shape. Eating unhealthy is only one factor which leads to obesity. Try doing at least one active thing every day, especially over the summer.

I do something active, Ive swam 2 days this week so far. Mowed the lawn... TWICE (If you count Sunday as part of this week). Uhh, I had two baseball games this week. Ive been out and about doing whatever. Im not always couped up inside.

#21 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:00 PM

It's a barbeque though. :( Who can pass off BBQ!!

I still want my barbeque. :( I think them feeding us healthy stuff instead of a barbeque is an excuse to er.. "lessen their expenses" a bit. <_<

#22 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:27 PM

There is a large difference between the American version of "healthiness" and the more realistic version. Nowadays, American society IS self conscious about dietary habits, but only because they want to be thin. Healthiness is possessing good health, and most people cannot see past the foods that have become standards, like sodas and candy.

As to whether "healthy" foods should be forced in public schools, I agree. The government, originally, was built to support, protect and govern the people, and obesity is a major epidemic today. We should be influencing the overweight people through bombarding them with less "fattening"* foods.

Also, while fat is certainly a needed part of any human's diet, you don't need to go to a candy bar or soda to get it. Bad food != Good for you in some weird way.

*I use the term "fattening" very lightly, as not to be confused with fat in gram measurements.

#23 rslouis

rslouis
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

Well they do offer some healthy foods, like fruit ...
But it's really your decision to eat it.

#24 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

I do something active, Ive swam 2 days this week so far. Mowed the lawn... TWICE (If you count Sunday as part of this week). Uhh, I had two baseball games this week. Ive been out and about doing whatever. Im not always couped up inside.

You obviously don't know the meaning of "out of shape" :p.

#25 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:43 AM

You obviously don't know the meaning of "out of shape" :p.

Im not round, you cant flip me onto my side and roll me easily. Its this damn fat around my belly. Its okay though, Ill lose it all in 2 weeks near the end of August. Although, I should lose some of it now, losing it during 2-a-days blows. Im about 20 lbs heavier than I would like to be. Last year at the end of football I was about 185, right now Im 205. So yeah, I feel out of shape :S

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users