Photo

I'm thinking about moving to Solaris 10

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

#1 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

^ Read the title.

Honestly, Linux became boring and I need a new toy to play with... And beetwen choosing HURD and Solaris, I choosed Solaris.

Any reason why not to do it? Does anyone expirience with it? How good is the python/mono support for it?

#2 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:43 AM

Solairs? Never heard of it. In place of linux so hmm another operating system? tongue.gif whats special about this different operatin systems? tongue.gif windoze for meh tongue.gif

#3 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Noitidart @ Sep 19 2006, 09:43 PM) View Post

Solairs? Never heard of it. In place of linux so hmm another operating system? tongue.gif whats special about this different operatin systems? tongue.gif windoze for meh tongue.gif

http://www.sun.com/s...html?cid=239587
http://www.sun.com/s...olaris/ning.jsp

HP is using it too...

#4 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:48 AM

my cousin is solaris certified from sun i think...

#5 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 19 2006, 09:48 PM) View Post

my cousin is solaris certified from sun i think...

So... What does (s)he says? Solaris -> yay or nay?

#6 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE(113 @ Sep 19 2006, 11:51 AM) View Post
So... What does (s)he says? solaris -> yay or nay?
well, i dont really talk to him so much anymore since after he got certified in a few things he thought he was the shit. and i find arrogance to be one of the most ugly characteristics in a person so... whistling.gif but he did get certified in it thumbsup.gif

My advice to you is to just get a really old computer and try it out to see if you like it. im personally in love with ubuntu tongue.gif.

#7 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 19 2006, 02:55 PM) View Post

well, i dont really talk to him so much anymore since after he got certified in a few things he thought he was the shit. and i find arrogance to be one of the most ugly characteristics in a person so... whistling.gif but he did get certified in it thumbsup.gif

My advice to you is to just get a really old computer and try it out to see if you like it. im personally in love with ubuntu tongue.gif.

I hate ubuntu and kubuntu. Windows is the way for me. Its like the best operating system for dumb people. blink.gif

maybe I shall try out solaris....or maybe not.

#8 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:09 PM

QUOTE(Marine @ Sep 19 2006, 11:59 AM) View Post

I hate ubuntu and kubuntu. Windows is the way for me. Its like the best operating system for dumb people. blink.gif

maybe I shall try out solaris....or maybe not.
whats wrong with ubuntu? I find it to be much more powerful than windows. You can do so much more and so much easier. The terminal is awesome smile.gif

#9 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 19 2006, 10:09 PM) View Post

whats wrong with ubuntu? I find it to be much more powerful than windows. You can do so much more and so much easier. The terminal is awesome smile.gif

... He did say the windows is the best OS for dumb people smile.gif

Anyway, does anyone at all have any real expirience with solaris? Or will I be the first one here, to use it?

#10 arv3n

arv3n
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 19 2006, 04:09 PM) View Post

Linux sucks, and windows is much better. If you want a full story on why that is, PM me.

EVERYTHING STM says about Linux is so biased, he's such a Linux fanboy.

#11 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2006 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE(arv3n @ Sep 25 2006, 06:28 PM) View Post

Linux sucks, and windows is much better. If you want a full story on why that is, PM me.

If its so bad why cant you share why- Right here? 1we8.gif My bullshit detector is off the charts.

Edited by Hawk117, 25 September 2006 - 03:31 PM.

#12 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE(arv3n @ Sep 25 2006, 03:28 PM) View Post

For my purposes, linux works great. I dont write papers as much as I program for school and thus linux comes ready to go to develop. If I do need to write papers, ms word runs perfectly with wine.

I personally find linux to be good for me smile.gif. But people use their computer for different things so your situation might be different and linux might not be right for you smile.gif.

Doesnt necessarily mean that it sucks.

#13 arv3n

arv3n
  • 449 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 04:42 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 25 2006, 08:23 PM) View Post

For my purposes, linux works great. I dont write papers as much as I program for school and thus linux comes ready to go to develop. If I do need to write papers, ms word runs perfectly with wine.

I personally find linux to be good for me smile.gif. But people use their computer for different things so your situation might be different and linux might not be right for you smile.gif.

Doesnt necessarily mean that it sucks.

You are forgetting that most people can't even install Linux without screwing something up.

Linux definitely isn't right for me. Why? It can't even run MapleStory because of GG, and even without it Wine still didn't run it that good, and unless you are willing to waste 15 bucks on a piece of crap that STILL might not work. Then you're pretty much screwed in terms of MapleStory.

#14 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE(arv3n @ Sep 25 2006, 05:42 PM) View Post
You are forgetting that most people can't even install Linux without screwing something up.

Linux definitely isn't right for me. Why? It can't even run MapleStory because of GG, and even without it Wine still didn't run it that good, and unless you are willing to waste 15 bucks on a piece of crap that STILL might not work. Then you're pretty much screwed in terms of MapleStory.
More people install linux without problems than play MapleStory thumbsup.gif

If i understand correctly, linux sucks because maplestory doesnt work well on it. I think thats hardly a good enough reason for a claim like that. If you just look at one aspect of linux (its free) then you will find that you can get a really productive computer able to do mostly all that windows can do for only the cost of hardware.

Its like I said before, people use their computers for different things. I use mine mostly to develop software for school and personal reasons and to check email, surf the web and chat with friends on instant messenger. The latter issues can be done with mostly any operating system but the development environment and tools are wonderful on linux which is why I choose to run it.

None of what you said necessitates linux sucking.

#15 shabba

shabba

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:21 AM

We actually had Sun Systems in our school and they where horrid! Good for developing java on though tongue.gif

Im not even sure if mono is supported on them. o.O

#16 arv3n

arv3n
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

QUOTE(Hawk117 @ Sep 25 2006, 06:31 PM) View Post

If its so bad why cant you share why- Right here? 1we8.gif My bullshit detector is off the charts.

Sorry, I don't feel like explaining to assholes like you.

#17 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:50 PM

QUOTE(arv3n @ Sep 26 2006, 12:47 PM) View Post
Sorry, I don't feel like explaining to assholes like you.
Now now, there is no reason to get aggravated. Lets all discuss things in a calm manner smile.gif.

#18 arv3n

arv3n
  • 449 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 12:53 PM

QUOTE(Hydrogen @ Sep 26 2006, 03:50 PM) View Post

Now now, there is no reason to get aggravated. Lets all discuss things in a calm manner smile.gif.

Mmk.

More people install linux without problems than play MapleStory thumbsup.gif

If i understand correctly, linux sucks because maplestory doesnt work well on it. I think thats hardly a good enough reason for a claim like that. If you just look at one aspect of linux (its free) then you will find that you can get a really productive computer able to do mostly all that windows can do for only the cost of hardware.

Its like I said before, people use their computers for different things. I use mine mostly to develop software for school and personal reasons and to check email, surf the web and chat with friends on instant messenger. The latter issues can be done with mostly any operating system but the development environment and tools are wonderful on linux which is why I choose to run it.

None of what you said necessitates linux sucking.

IMO it sucks because basically, it's compatability is horrible. <-- BASICALLY.

I can get more in-depth, but, I don't feel like it. That's all you need to know.

#19 113

• 1190 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE(shabba @ Sep 26 2006, 01:21 PM) View Post

We actually had Sun Systems in our school and they where horrid! Good for developing java on though tongue.gif

Im not even sure if mono is supported on them. o.O

It's supported alright. On solaris 8. Running on Sparc... Se yeah, no solaris for me. sad.gif

QUOTE(arv3n @ Sep 26 2006, 09:53 PM) View Post

Mmk.
IMO it sucks because basically, it's compatability is horrible. <-- BASICALLY.

I can get more in-depth, but, I don't feel like it. That's all you need to know.

Honestly, I had an easier time configuring my hardware on linux, than on windows... Also, I've decided I'm not going to use Solaris. So go on and hijack my thread all you want. I don't care. Really.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2006 - 09:10 PM

Since the discussion is over, this can be closed tongue.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users