Quantcast

Photo

The result of stupid people combined with religion.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Alex

Alex
  • 6640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

http://www.foxnews.c...,341574,00.html
An 11-year-old girl died after her parents prayed for healing rather than seek medical help for a treatable form of diabetes, police said Tuesday.

The mother believes the girl could still be resurrected, the police chief said.

Edited by Alex, 26 March 2008 - 07:19 PM.

#2 Shadiel

Shadiel
  • 214 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:22 PM

What's funny is, now they'll praise the girl's death because "it allowed God to take her."

rolleyes.gif

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:26 PM

The girl has three siblings, ranging in age from 13 to 16, the police chief said.

"They are still in the home," he said. "There is no reason to remove them. There is no abuse or signs of abuse that we can see."

Isn't letting a child die of an easily treatable illness abuse in itself? blink.gif

#4 shuppet

shuppet
  • 104 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

i believe its actually criminal negligence in america

#5 Jewbert

Jewbert
  • 3387 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:31 PM

Wow. They should be charged for this shit. I mean, WTF! Religion is NO excuse in this case. Just pretty much
fucking ridiculous.

They're probably all like, "Well... it was just 'her time' and it was all in God's hands...."
I'm sure they wouldn't wonder why she still died after they 'prayed to God'....

dry.gif

#6 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

That's just sick. If you think about it alot of religious and political figures in past history did the same thing. Ghandi for example wouldn't let his wife take medication for an illness and prayed instead. Fortunately he realized his mistake on time and got the medecine.

#7 Aerowyn

Aerowyn
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:05 PM

I came in here expecting some Scientology...

but I am just as disgusted. Honestly... for a family to completely neglect the needs of their child--who, by the way, had an illness that WAS treatable and most of the time is survivable for the victim's lifetime.

Part of me wants to believe that the parents did not want to pay the cost for medical supplies, appointments, etc.... so they just left her to die. It's a shame that I have to think that, but honestly... no parent would see their child suffer through a sickness without even wanting to help her.

#8 Cataliste

Cataliste
  • Codex's Right Hand

• 4662 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

This is just ridiculous. Even if you do believe in God, you don;t think medicine is the devil's work, do you? Not if you have one fucking brain cell in your head.

And yeah, it is criminal negligence. The other two children should be removed from the home because their parents are off their fucking rockers.

#9 Selphie

Selphie
  • 410 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:08 PM

Oh my goodness... that is just awful!

The girl's parents, Dale and Leilani Neumann, attributed the death to "apparently they didn't have enough faith," the police chief said.

No, apparently they didn't have enough sense.

#10 Will

Will
  • 2229 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:09 PM

That's sad. People need to remember...

Prayer + Medicine = Good combination.
Medicine = Good most of the time.
Prayer - Medicine = Bad combination.

#11 magda11us

magda11us
  • 343 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

They could have used both, treatment and faith. It's a shame because the child could have been saved. But they will learn their mistakes.

#12 ink

ink
  • 2189 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

Meh, reminds me of the man stuck in a flood scenario.
You know, the one where he prays and prays, one thing after another comes to save him (helicopters, life rafts, etc.) but he doesn't use any of them because he says that God will save him.
Eventually the flood takes him away, he drowns, and he dies. He ends up in heaven and asks God, "I prayed for you to save me, so very much, yet you did nothing... why?"
God says, "Miracles do not always stand out in exuberant light, in fact some are quite small. I sent you a bundled raft, a rescue team, and a helicopter, but you chose to take none of them... now I'd say you are ungrateful, my child."

Same kind of thing. I'm sure many doctors, nurses, and/or social workers tried to help them, but they denied it.

#13 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (ink @ Mar 26 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You know, the one where he prays and prays, one thing after another comes to save him (helicopters, life rafts, etc.) but he doesn't use any of them because he says that God will save him.
Eventually the flood takes him away, he drowns, and he dies. He ends up in heaven and asks God, "I prayed for you to save me, so very much, yet you did nothing... why?"
God says, "Miracles do not always stand out in exuberant light, in fact some are quite small. I sent you a bundled raft, a rescue team, and a helicopter, but you chose to take none of them... now I'd say you are ungrateful, my child."

Same kind of thing. I'm sure many doctors, nurses, and/or social workers tried to help them, but they denied it.

I'd have to agree. Stupid people tongue.gif.

#14 Germ

Germ
  • 501 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (ink @ Mar 26 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have never heard of that story, but it's so true. tongue.gif

#15 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Nice bit of racism there guys. Jehovah's witnesses don't believe in basic medical care such as blood transfusions, I guess every single one of them is an idiot aswell?

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:31 AM

But who are we to judge someone's beliefs so critically when we don't know everything about the subject at hand?

#17 pyke

pyke
  • 13686 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:54 AM

QUOTE (Frizzle @ Mar 27 2008, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But who are we to judge someone's beliefs so critically when we don't know everything about the subject at hand?

The internet, that's who tongue.gif

I think it's sad that the kid died in the end. I would have preferred that the parents just gotten medicine, but that was their choice 1we8.gif

On a side note, I'm not a fan of Jehova's witnesses. Having them tell me that my great grandfathers were immoral people because they were soliders in WWI/II pissed me off.

#18 zpoy

zpoy
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:20 AM

Nice bit of racism there guys. Jehovah's witnesses don't believe in basic medical care such as blood transfusions, I guess every single one of them is an idiot aswell?

Yep, every single one of them is an idiot. 6751ov8.png No really, I don't agree with any religion that is going to completly ignore modern things that help people. That's just stupid. I would like to think that God gave us medicine as a miracle not as something to ignore and try to prove a point with. The only point these people made is that they are incompetent and stupid and deserve to be repremanded for putting their child through this. One of my friends father died from a (mostly) curable form of cancer because his family decided to listen to their pastor and show everyone the "power of God" by refusing and medical treatment. He suffered for almost a year before dying in his home. That is wrong.

#19 Kyle

Kyle
  • Legit.

• 2082 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (ink @ Mar 27 2008, 02:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mm I like that story.

On another subject, lets all laugh at how the police chiefs name is Dan Vergin. tongue.gif

#20 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:52 PM

Yeah I agree Josh that they're probably Christian Scientists. My great grandmother was one and she believed in the same thing. They do have a lot of good ideas that were well before medicine discovered them. Prayer and a positive outlook on life aka faith that it'll get better in cancer patients can actually turn their treatment plan around in some cases and help "cure" them of cancer. That being said... it shouldn't be done without medicine as well. I remember a Steven King book and I forget what it was but this one man was constantly arguing with his Christian Scientist mother that her medicine could have been a gift from God to help save her and people like her but she just hung up on them. Kit makes a good point though... why did they get her insulin before, but not now?

#21 Tailwind

Tailwind
  • Win points = 2,235,563

• 2576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:03 PM

While I'm not one to judge a person based on their religion or what they believe in, this was just plain stupid.

I really honestly feel that the parents could take care of her and keep her alive up until this point, then they just got tired of her and her illness and just left her to die. God forbid the other children they have get sick. -.-

#22 Grizzy

Grizzy
  • 477 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

I just noticed..the site is full of news on idiots
Man Claims to Speak 'Australian' After Allegedly Being Raped by Wombat

This right here was sad though....the parents...man...
I'd take their children away from them right now if not way back before...

#23 padora

padora
  • 991 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:38 PM

The parents are idiots.

#24 Shadowcode

Shadowcode
  • 238 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:13 PM

I was watching the noons this afternoon, and this is what they were airing, non stop.

I too think this is just the dumbest thing in the whole fucking world. When religion gets to decide who lives and dies in a country, well, then its time for me to choose a new country.

#25 illicit

illicit
  • 915 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Wow... pretty rediculous. Those parents are pretty much retarded. And the police won't remove the other children because there's no sign of abuse?

Google: Abuse - mistreat: treat badly

If not taking your kid to a doctor--which resulted in her death--isn't mistreatment, what is?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users