Photo

progs on my computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 CougarRacinChic

CougarRacinChic
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:29 PM

due to an unmentioned website that has recently been terminated, I have many downloaded progz on my computer that no longer work, the problem is, I don't know where they are located, and I think they are slowing my computer down.  Is there a program I can use or download that will clean my computer of all that mess? or am I to be forced to reformat? ( :) )

second, I tried a search on "Keylogger" and I got too many responses with it, I jsut want to know what a keylogger is and why it is a bad thing (new to the programming world...I need something else to learn  :smartass: )

#2 sin

sin
  • 311 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 10:38 PM

delete them from program files go to c drive then program files and find the stuff you no need or its in my documents or whereever stuff goe after you download it

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:07 PM

delete them from program files go to c drive then program files and find the stuff you no need or its in my documents or whereever stuff goe after you download it

View Post

you may also want to invest in a good antivirus software so that you can deeply scan all of your files for any type of virus.

Also, a keylogger is exactly what its name says, it logs the keys you press on your keyboard and sends them to someone through means of email (other means may be used too). Its dangerous because it logs everything...your passwords, anything  you type...information about your computer and even your credit card numbers. Its very dangerous and not something to be toyed with :) ...be careful on which programs you open.

#4 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2004 - 01:04 AM

Hydro aren't keyloggers illegal? If not, they should be.

#5 xx_WLT_xx

xx_WLT_xx
  • 2471 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:53 AM

Yep, they're illegal. I'magine you are an admin at a site and you just typed your pass only to know that it's been logged and sent to it's owner, then the hacker can hack your site :) and some AV's can't detect some keyloggers, like the trojan at 3v

#6 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:55 AM

What's a good AV I can download it to get rid of one, I  know I'm keylogged. But I only have Norton and Bitdefender.

#7 xx_WLT_xx

xx_WLT_xx
  • 2471 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 03:26 AM

I don't know, I dun depend on avs :) cause you know the symptoms if you have trojans/viruses. Just fire off msconfig and see if there are programs that aren't to run at start-up :)

#8 sin

sin
  • 311 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:03 PM

one I use that you can get a free version that works really good is  avg antivirus it picked up soo many all my other antivirus software dosent pick up try it out search google you wil like it the inly problem is it takes like 4 hours to scan but it searches REALLY DEEPLY like every single file so you only need to run it at least once a week

#9 travis

travis
  • 5408 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:15 PM

ohhhh! usually they run in your memory, you can use Secure Task manager, which lets you remove items and quarentine them, which keeps them from running when you start your computer :D I dont have the installer, so u should go search it :

oh ya, it tells you the threat level too :D

Edited by Enth E End, 07 September 2004 - 04:19 PM.

#10 CougarRacinChic

CougarRacinChic
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 11:32 AM

ok so I'm not double posting on the boards  :D , I cleaned out my computer today, mostly went through the "add-delete" option, there were a few programs on there though, that I'm not sure about: "MSXML 4.0" AND "Windows XP Hotfix..." does anyone know what these are or what they do?

#11 dolphinbomb

dolphinbomb
  • YAAAAAAYYYYY

• 3758 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 06:42 PM

MSXML 4.0... I don't know what that is.

The hotfix is just something windows update installed, don't worry about that, but DON'T uninstall it, either.

#12 shabba

shabba

Posted 10 September 2004 - 01:50 PM

I just found this program its a keyboard encrypter it makes it I'mpossible to get keylogged they can log but all they will see if !"£%&*$^%^*£ like that lol ill post a link

#13 xx_WLT_xx

xx_WLT_xx
  • 2471 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:19 AM

ok so I'm not double posting on the boards  :p , I cleaned out my computer today, mostly went through the "add-delete" option, there were a few programs on there though, that I'm not sure about: "MSXML 4.0" AND "Windows XP Hotfix..." does anyone know what these are or what they do?

View Post

Don't uninstall MSXML 4.0, it is needed by some programs. I had it when installing one CAD program. And about the hotfix, hotfix are like small patches that are used in WINNT. WinXP is NT ver 5.1. Hotfixes are minor patches for patching up some small holes, service packs are major patches.  :p

#14 Freidmont

Freidmont
  • 448 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 01:35 PM

uh it isnt illegal to have a keylogger on your own computer right? *runs off to delete*

View Post

No..and it's also legal for schools & companies to have them, they're just supposed to let you know you're being monitored.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users