#1 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

http://marketshare.h...e.aspx?qprid=10
http://marketshare.h...re.aspx?qprid=9

Damn. Xp is fucking king :o

It seems like their might be more computers then Cellphones, since the Cell Phone OS are really low on the list.

Edited by iargue, 04 October 2009 - 08:29 AM.

#2 Metigue

Metigue
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 09:11 AM

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10
http://marketshare.h...re.aspx?qprid=9

Damn. Xp is fucking king :o

It seems like their might be more computers then Cellphones, since the Cell Phone OS are really low on the list.

By cellphone OS it means Windows phones etc. So it's really only counting phones like the i-phone and that TC crystal one >.>

#3 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

The most popular ones are sometimes the crappiest also :p.

#4 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:20 AM

Remarkably odd definition of "cool".

#5 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

By cellphone OS it means Windows phones etc. So it's really only counting phones like the i-phone and that TC crystal one >.>

Lol. Yeah.... Good sentence there....

Cellphone OS = any phone that has an OS.

So. Blakcberry. Iphone. G1, and Alot of others. all that are considered "Smart Phones"

#6 Eskimo

Eskimo
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:39 AM

Considering it's two Windows generations old, that's pretty remarkable.

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:01 PM

Long live xp! I think im oging to stick even after 7 is hot.

#8 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:11 PM

Long live xp! I think im oging to stick even after 7 is hot.

Pfft. Windows 7 has Xp Mode. I can run Xp at any time, or even just run a single program from Xp.

Its pretty epic.

#9 Eskimo

Eskimo
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

<br />Pfft. Windows 7 has Xp Mode. I can run Xp at any time, or even just run a single program from Xp.<br /><br />Its pretty epic.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Some CPUs don't have virtualization. Try playing Crysis in XP mode? I use 7, but just saying. XP Mode isn't an end-all solution. Best dual-boot.

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2009 - 11:38 AM

<br /><br /><br />

Some CPUs don't have virtualization. Try playing Crysis in XP mode? I use 7, but just saying. XP Mode isn't an end-all solution. Best dual-boot.

Okay.I just played Crysis in Xp Mode (No fucking ideal why I would ever need to...but okay).

It runs perfectly fine on Medium settings.

And, all Intel/Amd Cpu's that can support Windows 7, have Virtualization.

Xp mode gives you a greater advantage because it offers you the security of Windows 7 (plus some more). While still running it just like it did in Windows xp.

#11 Eskimo

Eskimo
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

<br />Okay.I just played Crysis in Xp Mode (No fucking ideal why I would ever need to...but okay).<br /><br />It runs perfectly fine on Medium settings.<br /><br /><br />And, all Intel/Amd Cpu's that can support Windows 7, have Virtualization.<br /><br />Xp mode gives you a greater advantage because it offers you the security of Windows 7 (plus some more). While still running it just like it did in Windows xp.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

I installed 7 on my brothers computer and had a bit of trouble with his iPod and iTunes. Instead of rummaging through hundreds of pages of forum posts I decided I'd just use XP Mode only to find that his processor didn't support virtualization, and had to rummage the forums anyways. So no, not all computers.

It was a very current version but it wasn't yesterday that I did it, so I suppose things might have changed and I could be wrong, I just know from experience that XP Mode won't be everyone's savior.

You must have a pretty beasty machine to run Crysis like that, I'm hardcore jealous, but I don't much care for desktops. Show me a notebook that can do that and I just might cry.

#12 Zala

Zala
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 10:11 AM

Soon Windows 7 will take over when it's fully developed.

#13 BellaBleu

BellaBleu
  • 501 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:01 PM

Soon Windows 7 will take over when it's fully developed.

It's "fully" developed but it will just take time before pcs start selling more so windows 7 will become more prevalent...

#14 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2009 - 12:13 AM

Linux is getting dominated, wow! For such an awesome OS.

#15 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:14 AM

Considering it's two Windows generations old, that's pretty remarkable.

I think people found out pretty quickly that Vista was a piece of crap and stuck with XP. I certainly regret that upgrade. I suspect things are going to turn around soon because Windows 7 is great.

#16 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Bumping up this topic with an observation: People are slowly branching away from Windows! Awesome.

#17 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:11 PM

The stats on linux are wrong. Linux is more than 1 OS. Android is a distribution of linux, which is the first proof of their inaccurate stats. The fact of the matter is that windows is a dying fad in the real computing world. It never had a hold on server shares and people are starting to feel the burn on the desktop shares of windows with the DRM crud. XP is outdated and obsolete. I wonder what people are going to do when XP loses it's government forced support.

#18 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:17 PM

What makes XP outdated and obslete? I love XP it runs absolutely everything and doesn't consume memory with animations and fx.

#19 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:34 PM

What makes XP outdated and obslete? I love XP it runs absolutely everything and doesn't consume memory with animations and fx.

Windows XP has physical memory limitations. The kernel is not full 32 or 64 bit which makes certain processes slower. You still have some 16 bit operations in it, because Microsoft does not care about producing quality products. The user controls on all windows OSes have been poor and bare, you can install anything and control everything on any account, even if you are not an admin. I could go on and on with more predominant issues but they are programming related issues.

#20 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 07:49 PM

Linux is getting dominated, wow! For such an awesome OS.

I believe they are looking only towards desktop users, and Linux is not a desktop OS. Great advances have been made towards bringing it to the desktop, but the rate of adoption is really slow compared to mac or windows. Linux is used more in enterprise servers, and I bet if you included that, the linux market share would be much higher.

Windows XP has physical memory limitations. The kernel is not full 32 or 64 bit which makes certain processes slower. You still have some 16 bit operations in it, because Microsoft does not care about producing quality products. The user controls on all windows OSes have been poor and bare, you can install anything and control everything on any account, even if you are not an admin. I could go on and on with more predominant issues but they are programming related issues.

I don't think it's fair to say that Microsoft doesn't care about quality products :p. I'm sure they do, and when you look into just how difficult it is to make an operating system which works with one combination of hardware, you realize how amazing a feat it is that Windows works with all sorts of combinations of hardware. I have to hand it to Microsoft for that. Sure, Windows XP did have an interesting security model by essentially allowing everything to run as root, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it wasn't quality for its time :p.

#21 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

I don't think it's fair to say that Microsoft doesn't care about quality products :p. I'm sure they do, and when you look into just how difficult it is to make an operating system which works with one combination of hardware, you realize how amazing a feat it is that Windows works with all sorts of combinations of hardware. I have to hand it to Microsoft for that. Sure, Windows XP did have an interesting security model by essentially allowing everything to run as root, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that it wasn't quality for its time :p.

Well, you see I have created a microkernel before. I am one guy and I was quite capable of creating a piece of software that could work on my computer (and every other standard computer today) and interact with the mouse and keyboard input with no problem. Microsoft is a corporation that has been around since common folk really used computers. It really is not difficult, they just make people think it is. Anyways as for the security model, they created a poor one when they could have simply adopted the same one that has been around on most linux OSes for ages now. It is a very secure model and more than reasonable, with chmod at your disposal. Microsoft could have emulated it, but these are the guys that wanted to butcher DOCX in an attempt to snuff out Open Office.

#22 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

Well, you see I have created a microkernel before. I am one guy and I was quite capable of creating a piece of software that could work on my computer (and every other standard computer today) and interact with the mouse and keyboard input with no problem. Microsoft is a corporation that has been around since common folk really used computers. It really is not difficult, they just make people think it is. Anyways as for the security model, they created a poor one when they could have simply adopted the same one that has been around on most linux OSes for ages now. It is a very secure model and more than reasonable, with chmod at your disposal. Microsoft could have emulated it, but these are the guys that wanted to butcher DOCX in an attempt to snuff out Open Office.

Windows is anything but a microkernel :p. Same with Linux. Microkernels are somewhat easier than the kernels used in most operating system because they offload a lot of the work into user space.

Sorry, you lost me at the part where chmod makes your machine more secure... if an attacker gains access to the root account, how will chmod help you? :p

I think everyone should understand that Microsoft is a company, whereas open source is a movement. Their goals are very different. The former only cares about making money. Having said that, it makes sense why Microsoft would promote their docx format over open standards.

#23 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 08:36 PM

Lol dro and programming stuff. Nice points auto i see what you mean about the 16 bit operations and limitations on full capacity.

#24 Atonomous

Atonomous
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:06 PM

Sorry, you lost me at the part where chmod makes your machine more secure... if an attacker gains access to the root account, how will chmod help you? :p

In windows you do not need access to an admin account to royally fudge the system. They really need better controls over their file permissions. Hence my comments about chmod.

I think everyone should understand that Microsoft is a company, whereas open source is a movement. Their goals are very different. The former only cares about making money. Having said that, it makes sense why Microsoft would promote their docx format over open standards.

Microsoft is beginning to be right up there with the RIAA in business sense. They are not going out to their customer and giving them what they want, they are limiting them in not only their computing capabilities, but their actual rights. DRM should be a crime. Though, I guess to each their own. If one uses an OS that reports unverified information on your computer to a company, I guess that is one's own business.

#25 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:54 PM

The stats on linux are wrong. Linux is more than 1 OS. Android is a distribution of linux, which is the first proof of their inaccurate stats. The fact of the matter is that windows is a dying fad in the real computing world. It never had a hold on server shares and people are starting to feel the burn on the desktop shares of windows with the DRM crud. XP is outdated and obsolete. I wonder what people are going to do when XP loses it's government forced support.

Linux is actually 1 Operating system, with many builds based on the original core. So they take all of the linux based OS and mark them as linux, because even if its called Ubuntu its still Linux. Android is a completely different open source operating system entirely designed for Mobile devices, so obviously it cant be placed in the same category since its a mobile phone only OS....

And... XP isnt forced by the government. Do you read the onion as you're primary news source?

XP has physical memory limitations when it comes to 32 bit, because -every- operating system has those limitations. In windows xp 64bit mode, its limit is 128 gigabytes, because this is a home user operating system. To add in even more support then that much (even that much) is a complete waste of coding. And only through exploits can you install anything as a Standard User account. Windows XP is a cooperate operating system, they differentiated between standard and admins hundreds of years ago. Do not come in here spewing bs without proving that you can do it without an exploit or an hack. It also is a purely 32 bit and 64 bit operating system. There are no 16bit calls, and the ideal that you would know what bit the kernal runs in is a joke. Its closed source, so unless you did the coding, I will not trust a word you say on that.

In windows you do not need access to an admin account to royally fudge the system. They really need better controls over their file permissions. Hence my comments about chmod.

Microsoft is beginning to be right up there with the RIAA in business sense. They are not going out to their customer and giving them what they want, they are limiting them in not only their computing capabilities, but their actual rights. DRM should be a crime. Though, I guess to each their own. If one uses an OS that reports unverified information on your computer to a company, I guess that is one's own business.

More bs. In windows vista/7. You have to be an Admin period to do anything other then run programs. All windows functions are locked out as well. In Windows xp, you could do more, but you still had to be an admin period to install a program. So unless you had an exploit to run on the system, you couldn't do anything.

Um. Did you know that with the Windows Operating System. 90% of all hardware you purchase will work with Windows? Did you know that with Mac based computers, you have to purchase Apple branded products, and cannot create your own drivers? Apple is a thousand times works. DRM is a legal, and cannot ever be a crime. Windows included DRM because Movie/Music/Gaming industries told them they would no longer release content for Windows if they didnt have DRM. So windows added it... Then they remove it. Guess what. Apple has DRM to. Apple forces DRM on people through Itune. You have a one sided hate for microsoft, without anything to really hate them for.

And. Everything that the OS reports to Windows is known. For a programmer who made a microkernal.... You need to learn what packetsniffing is....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users