Quantcast

Photo

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:53 PM

I have several friends who enjoyed the movie, but when I asked them if they thought I would like it, they said probably not. I'm more into artsy, independent, and/or foreign films. I am much more likely to enjoy an artistically ambitious film than a visually ambitious film. Just my track record.

That being said, going to see Avatar tonight. I'll report back.

---

Just got back from the theater.

I want my $11 back.

Edited by ekluise, 31 December 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#52 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:55 PM

I'm all for visual effects myself. :p I'd probably like Avatar, but I just haven't went to go see it yet. -_-

#53 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:38 PM

A mentioned in the other movie thread that this year was one of my favorite as far as movies goes. Avatar is at the top of my all time favorite movies. If it wasn't for Star Trek being released earlier in the year then Avatar would be my favorite of the year.

I heard lots of people talk about how the plot line was sort of empty and you had to see it in 3-D to get the true experience out of it and I couldn't agree more that you needed to see it in 3-D to get the true experience, but I think the story line was so rich that you constantly wanted to see and learn more about the characters.

#54 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

A mentioned in the other movie thread that this year was one of my favorite as far as movies goes. Avatar is at the top of my all time favorite movies. If it wasn't for Star Trek being released earlier in the year then Avatar would be my favorite of the year.

I heard lots of people talk about how the plot line was sort of empty and you had to see it in 3-D to get the true experience out of it and I couldn't agree more that you needed to see it in 3-D to get the true experience, but I think the story line was so rich that you constantly wanted to see and learn more about the characters.

See, I thought that the storyline was generic and uninspired, but judging from your post on said movie board, we have very different taste in movies, so to each his own.

#55 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:11 PM

yeah...i wouldn't say avatar is the best movie of the year...it has nice visuals and all, but movies are about acting, and the acting in avatar was sub-par for sure.

#56 unworthy

unworthy
  • 602 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:54 PM

I think that the movie was all about the visuals though. They did not make the movie to win "story of the year". I thought the story was great for what it was doing. I wasn't going in expecting a twist or some epically worded phrases. I think the acting was fantastic and really there is nothing to compare it to in the acting department because it is the first of it's kind. If someone did not like this movie it was purely not their cup of tea and has nothing to do with the movie itself.

Anyways, the reason the story sucks is because he wrote it 15 years ago and only started filming it 4 years ago. I'm sure if he could have brought it out back then the story wouldn't be getting bashed so bad.

I love it. I love that they now have facial capturing in cgi movies! I cannot wait for the next avatar(if it is made) and for the next company to use his new technology in their movies. It is insane what will be capable now. I wish I had a time machine to go to the theatre a couple years down the road.

#57 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

Anyways, the reason the story sucks is because he wrote it 15 years ago and only started filming it 4 years ago. I'm sure if he could have brought it out back then the story wouldn't be getting bashed so bad.

i stand corrected. i forgot about this fact, i shouldn't bash thestory so hard then. i'm sure avatar will win some sort of "best graphics" award anyhow.

#58 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:47 PM

i stand corrected. i forgot about this fact, i shouldn't bash thestory so hard then. i'm sure avatar will win some sort of "best graphics" award anyhow.

It should most definitely win the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, hands down.

However, the argument that he wrote the story 15 years ago is not valid logic. There are movies that were written much longer ago than that, and they still hold up today.

#59 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2010 - 08:30 AM

See, I thought that the storyline was generic and uninspired

So what? Is it against the rules to use a concept that has been done before but do it better?

#60 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:29 PM

So what? Is it against the rules to use a concept that has been done before but do it better?

Not at all, but IMHO it did not do it better, hence the "uninspired".

#61 Kas

Kas
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 07:58 PM

There was some sort of deal about this movie being to close to a book Call Me Joe.
Disabled Army guy learns to like his new blue-huminoid alien self.
But yeah. I really enjoyed the movie, in my top 5 of the year.

#62 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 January 2010 - 08:52 PM

There was some sort of deal about this movie being to close to a book Call Me Joe.
Disabled Army guy learns to like his new blue-huminoid alien self.
But yeah. I really enjoyed the movie, in my top 5 of the year.

http://io9.com/53902...dersons-novella

Yeah and sadly Cameron has a history of plagerism or *ahem* being 'strongly influenced' by an author. But the movie was great.

#63 Is30akc

Is30akc
  • 79 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:35 PM

Yeah, i thought the only reason to really watch the movie was for the visual-effects which were INCREDIBLE and STUNNING. The plot was half-baked, but it wasn't bad. Just a generic plot line, but it served its purpose well. I personally loved it!

#64 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

Watched it yesterday; excellent film, great story arc, visuals were stunning. Better than district 9 or dark knight, which were awesome movies on their own.

#65 Is30akc

Is30akc
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

I haven't seen District 9 yet..

I dunno if I'd say it was better than Dark Knight (dang, heath ledger as joker??).. but Avatar was pretty friggen good.

#66 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:45 AM

Many people are calling for Avatar to be in the running for best picture, primarily because it grossed so much money and popularity should win out over content. I haven't seen the movie so I can't attest to its content or lack thereof (can only go by what my boyfriend and others have said), but I guess I'm one of those movie snobs who thinks a best picture movie should be something almost timeless, or will speak to future generations about what our generation was all about.

I think it is pretty much a guaranteed winner for visual effects.

#67 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

Many people are calling for Avatar to be in the running for best picture, primarily because it grossed so much money and popularity should win out over content. I haven't seen the movie so I can't attest to its content or lack thereof (can only go by what my boyfriend and others have said), but I guess I'm one of those movie snobs who thinks a best picture movie should be something almost timeless, or will speak to future generations about what our generation was all about.

I think it is pretty much a guaranteed winner for visual effects.

You know they reorganized the oscars right?

They were losing ratings and TBH prestige because 9 times out of 10 an "art" movie was winning the best picture. Heck the majority of movies nominated for best pictures were rarely seen by the average movie goer and many were "box office bombs".

So they opened up best picture, best actress etc to more mainstream movies. The main excuse was movies like Up were shut out of the running because it was animated. So Avatar can now qualify and may win just to prove to "Average Joe Movie Goer" that the oscars aren't "elitest snobs".

#68 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

Yeah I know, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it sucks to watch and hear "and the winner is....Le Lapin Triste Sans Des Pieds!" and you're like, WTF movie is that? On the other hand, I wish people had higher standards in life. We tend to reward mediocrity too often because it's easy. Some people view movies as a place to turn off their brains for a couple hours, others view it as an impetus to think about the larger things in life.

I love to watch Bones, but even if it was the #1 most-watched show in the history of television should it win an Emmy? Heck no, it's not a very good show.

#69 chobitz

chobitz
  • 988 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

Yeah I know, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it sucks to watch and hear "and the winner is....Le Lapin Triste Sans Des Pieds!" and you're like, WTF movie is that? On the other hand, I wish people had higher standards in life. We tend to reward mediocrity too often because it's easy. Some people view movies as a place to turn off their brains for a couple hours, others view it as an impetus to think about the larger things in life.

I love to watch Bones, but even if it was the #1 most-watched show in the history of television should it win an Emmy? Heck no, it's not a very good show.

I agree with you. Don't we have People's Choice and Golden Globes for that reason? I think it would have been better if they disallowed foreign movies to be up for Best Picture since there IS a foreign movie category.

But TBH I think Avatar DOES qualify for the reason that it does and will change movies forever. Instead of 3d being a novelty, Hollywood is embracing it 100%. Heck a few days ago Discover TV announced a 3d cable channel of their in the pipeline. Plus there are now 3d TVs and 3d blu-ray players now.

So Avatar is a groundbreaking movie and shouldn't it qualify for than more just a throwaway award like best tech?

Edited by chobitz, 07 January 2010 - 12:25 PM.

#70 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

Maybe, but think back to Toy Story. That was very groundbreaking when it first came out and really got the feature-length animated movie ball rolling. But would it have gotten Best Picture if it was possible? I doubt it. Now people watch Toy Story not because of its graphics (which are pitiful compared to today), but because of its humor and wonderful storyline. I think in the same way, in a few years Avatar's graphics will seem dated. It will be remembered as the first movie to really take advantage of the 3D medium. What gives a movie staying power is the story.

#71 Is30akc

Is30akc
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:17 PM

Speaking of Avatar's storyline... I found this on a different forum. Thought it was hilarious and dead-on:

Oh, slight spoiler to plotline..
Spoiler

Edited by Is30akc, 07 January 2010 - 05:17 PM.

#72 Frank274

Frank274
  • 2051 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:58 PM

Speaking of Avatar's storyline... I found this on a different forum. Thought it was hilarious and dead-on:

Oh, slight spoiler to plotline..

Spoiler

Wow. That's kinda creepy... but now I can see how they are related :p

Here's something crazy:

http://movies.yahoo....time-box-office

#73 Black Flame

Black Flame
  • 6063 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:12 PM

So they opened up best picture, best actress etc to more mainstream movies. The main excuse was movies like Up were shut out of the running because it was animated. So Avatar can now qualify and may win just to prove to "Average Joe Movie Goer" that the oscars aren't "elitest snobs".

I guarantee it will not win Best Picture. :p Since the academy doubled the nomination ballot from 5 to 10 for best picture, it will be nominated for it. That I have zero doubt in my mind, and I would shocked if it wasn't. Really the main reason they doubled it was, like you said, for more viewers. I admit I was mad when The Dark Knight wasn't nominated last year. I truly think it deserved a nomination. It had a huge box office intake sure, but it was an incredibly good movie overall. Quite a few other people were mad as well. But yeah had it been nominated, the telecast would have gained more viewers on the chance it would win (though it would not have). Hence, they doubled the ballot.

Still though, it most certainly will not win best picture. Right now The Hurt Locker is winning everything, another movie no one saw pretty much. That movie will most likely win. It will be cool to see Avatar at least in the running though. :p

#74 jonnykun

jonnykun
  • 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:27 AM

well if it counts for anything, my grandparents watched avatar in theaters. with their 3D glasses on and everything. the movie MUST have something going for it if even my grandparents went to the theater to watch it. and it probably was the first movie they watched in this millennium. haha

#75 Eliam

Eliam
  • 621 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Avatar does deserve to win Best Visual Effects, hands down.

As far as I heard, and I follow this stuff fairly closely, they opened Best Picture to 10 nominations, but nothing else changed. An art movie is still going to win if it's better than a popular movie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users