Quantcast

Photo

How to convince your parents to allow you to go on a vacation with friends?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

One of my friends is going on a trip to Italy this summer for about two months from July-September.

She owns two houses there (one is a beach house) ...

What would be the best way to go about convincing both of our parents to allow us to go?

She is going with her parents, so there will be supervision.

There are many problems with this though, shes a girl for one.
I don't know if my parents or hers for that matter would trust me enough not to .. well.. you get the idea. ;)

Also the costs... obviously I won't be staying in any hotels or anything.
But there is plane tickets, food, miscellaneous expenses, etc.

I am too paranoid to straight up just ask my parents before I have full details.
I want to plan it out more. I want to show them I am responsible.

I am graduating HS this year, and I'm about to turn 18... I feel like this trip would be like an opportunity of a lifetime.

I mean.. who wouldn't want to go to Italy for two months?! :p

Also, I'm going to have to figure out ways to raise money for the trip. Work at minimum wage isn't cutting it considering I already have to pay for gas, car insurance, money to go out on weekends, etc... and considering I work at Dairy Queen so it isn't very busy right now since its winter ... so I can't do much saving of my paychecks right now :/

ideas please? :p any help is appreciated. wow i feel like i just wrote a novel. o.o

#2 Token

Token
  • 576 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Unfortunately you have no say of what her parents decide. So she'll have to take care of that part.

Best way to go about this if you want to lie. Have her tell your parents you are homosexual :p.
*ahem* As far as a woman goes, I do not know how they would go about talking with their parents on any issues. Considering I'm not a girl haha.

You are going to want to convince them that completing high school was a 12 year accomplishment, and that this would be a 2 month reward that YOU are paying for yourself. It costs them no money. Let them know that everyone does something exciting after high school and this would be the perfect opportunity for you to explore the world while relaxing before continuing your education (which you are hopefully doing).

As far as money goes... If you are truely dedicated to this Italy trip, then cut your expenses. Like the weekends out, try not to spend money as much, do something that is cheaper or even free for you and your friends. If DQ is no longer giving you the hours you are looking for, then try looking for a more willing job, maybe take up two jobs: a morning weekend job and a weekday job.

Good luck, it does sound like an awesome Summer vacation!! Hope you get what you want!

#3 Kway

Kway
  • Proud to be a Brony

• 1242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:07 PM

I am completely clueless on what you should do/say. Just try to convince them that it will be an educational experience.

The only other thing I thought of part way in was say that you bought condoms but that can go in either direction (I needed a joke to pep me up since I'm so bored so don't take that seriously unless you really want to try it).

#4 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

hahaha, she actually has thought about telling her dad that I am homosexual to convince him to let me go.

She was like, you have to go with it though. i was like.. ehhhhhhh... if idunno but if it gets me to italy, i could play along :p

I am completely clueless on what you should do/say. Just try to convince them that it will be an educational experience.

The only other thing I thought of part way in was say that you bought condoms but that can go in either direction (I needed a joke to pep me up since I'm so bored so don't take that seriously unless you really want to try it).

i already have condoms :thumbsup: :p
but i can't say that, her dad would shank me. hahahah

its not so much about my parents caring about that.. because they know i do stuff already..
its more of her parents caring... :unsure:

#5 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:21 PM

How old are you? At a certain age their opinions on your activities stop mattering... sometimes I like being old.... :3

Edit... graduating high school... so I can probably assume about 17/18... yeah, your parents opinions are still important about now.

Edited by jcrboy, 24 January 2010 - 08:21 PM.

#6 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:23 PM

yeah .. i'm 17 .. turning 18 soon. :p

#7 Danielle88

Danielle88
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Hahaha, just go!
That's what I would do... xD

#8 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

Okay soo my advice. Guilt trip them. I just graduated too... and I was like, "Mom... Dad. I graduated as VP of the class in the top 10%. I got accepted into a fantastic school and got amazing scholarships. I've worked hard for thirteen years... can I please go on this trip? I had a job and afterschool activities and I still kept my grades top notch...I had high honors.... c'mon."

Lol... thats if you had good grades and stuff.

-Lol... that is what I would have said anyway.... if I didn't move out. :p
-If that doesn't work... then just be like.. Im 18 bitch... Im an adult... so yeah.

*I have problems with authority.* ;)

#9 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

LOL too bad my grades aren't like super amazing and all or I'd use that.

#10 outsidedream86

outsidedream86
  • 457 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

Well try to put yourself in their shoes. They'd probably worry that you would go crazy in a foreign country away from their supervision, terrible things will happen, you'll get the girl pregnant and proceed to run amok banging every Italian chick you can find while drinking and doing a lot of drugs, ruining your life forever.

I say that only half-joking. If you talk to your parents make sure to bring up those fears right away. Ask them what they're worried about, and what you can do about it. Tell them that this is an opportunity to show them that you are becoming a responsible adult and you will do whatever necessary to prove that they can trust you, even phone calls home five times a day. This could be a trial run for when you go off to college (if you plan on doing that). The kids that go craziest at college seem to be the ones that were on the shortest leash at home.

Whatever you do, don't get overly emotional, whiny, or angry--it'll look like you're still a child. If they don't let you go, even for some stupid reason, say something like, "I'm sorry you don't trust me, but I understand you're just trying to look out for my well-being." Then they feel guilty AND you come off looking mature.

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 January 2010 - 11:08 PM

Tell them that if they let you go, they don't have to deal with you since you'll be gone.

#12 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Since you will be 18.... they can say no... but you dont have to listen to them. :p As long as you can raise the money yourself I see no problem with just going. you might wanna work on your passport now though.

#13 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:36 PM

Since you will be 18.... they can say no... but you dont have to listen to them. :p As long as you can raise the money yourself I see no problem with just going. you might wanna work on your passport now though.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:42 PM

This thread is loltastic.

#15 Andy

Andy
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 03:50 PM

I highly doubt your parents would have much trouble with this. Parent's love and fear the whole idea of their kids growing up, just tell them it's a coming of age thing, and that you are ready for the big world out there. They might say no at first, but keep on bugging them about it, and over time, they will eventually relent. Taking initiative and organising paperwork and official documents will definitely show them that you are ready.

#16 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 04:06 PM

I don't even know why her dad is concerned.................................. with 2 houses there it's not like you have to sleep together and it's not like if you were going to being in USA doesn't stop you? :p

#17 vin

vin
  • 314 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:59 PM

i wont be 18 till september.. so that would fail.
and i already have a passport :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users