Photo

weightlifting

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Zodiac

Zodiac
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:37 AM

i kind of need some help. about to get started, and ive heard that its pretty fun and reaps somewhat good rewards. total newbie.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

You know, topics made on your first day is inversely proportional to respect earned.

#3 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:02 AM

You know, topics made on your first day is inversely proportional to respect earned.

HAHAHAHAHA. I made like 5 or 6 topics my first day *sighs*

As for weight lifting:

start slowly and build up.

Id suggest 3 days a week (one day in between each day) full body routine as a beginner.

If you want any more info, just pm me I guess lol.

#4 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 11:24 AM

^ This guy and his blatant hatred of "idiots" :p

HAHAHAHAHA. I made like 5 or 6 topics my first day *sighs*

As for weight lifting:

start slowly and build up.

Id suggest 3 days a week (one day in between each day) full body routine as a beginner.

If you want any more info, just pm me I guess lol.

Well, OP, there really isn't that much to it. Just focus on progression. You should always be aiming to be upping that intensity every time you hit those weights. Eat enough, but don't gorge yourself or starve yourself, focus on lifting heavier (while keeping good form) and focus on upping intensity. Each and every time.

That = success. Good luck! ;)

#5 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:17 PM

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Read the first 2 parts, skim over the rest

http://startingstren...ginner_Programs

Do that for a while, everyone seems to recommend that or stronglifts. Add in curls if you want better looking arms

#6 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:23 PM

http://www.liamrosen.com/fitness.html

Read the first 2 parts, skim over the rest

http://startingstren...ginner_Programs

Do that for a while, everyone seems to recommend that or stronglifts. Add in curls if you want better looking arms

By stronglifts, I hope you mean compound exercises, like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips, bench press, etc.

Don't focus too much on the isolations, such as bicep curls, forearm curls, and stuff of that sort as much as the compounds, as you will see much better progress as a beginner doing compound movements. These work more than one muscle and thus count as high intensity, and these especially are the types of exercises you are looking for.

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:36 PM

^ This guy and his blatant hatred of "idiots" :p

I'd appreciate it if you stopped referring to me in your posts in any context.

#8 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 04:37 PM

By stronglifts, I hope you mean compound exercises, like squats, deadlifts, pull-ups, dips, bench press, etc.

That's pretty much stronglifts :S.

http://stronglifts.c...aining-program/

#9 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2010 - 05:44 PM

I'd appreciate it if you stopped referring to me in your posts in any context.

Ah, sorry Sweeney. Will do. :o

That's pretty much stronglifts :S.

http://stronglifts.c...aining-program/

Alrighty then. Also, OP, don't lift too heavy at first, lift smart, not with your ego. Your ego might grow if you see you're carrying heavier weight than a bunch of dudes somewhere else, but in the end what matters is that people on the street see you and think "oh boy, that guy must be able to lift a ton." (reference to you if you do it properly)

Rather than say, a fatter person who can Bench Press more than you by 200 pounds, walking by on the street. Would you rather have people think that you can lift a ton, or have to explain to people how much you lift? :p Lift smart.

#10 Zodiac

Zodiac
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:22 PM

thx for tips guys

#11 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2010 - 06:12 AM

my tip for getting started, go to bodybuilding.com, they have really good articles there on how to start, excercise tips and basically anything and everything you need to know about lifting weights and working out. It helped me when I first started many years ago. With a decent plan that I got on the website, and keeping a journal of my progression, I am now benching 325 and squatting 400. This is after starting off 6 years back benching 150 and squatting a measly 185.

Main thing to body building is patience and determination, if you have these two qualities, no matter how small you may be, you can succeed.

#12 generalgsus

generalgsus
  • 422 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:16 AM

my tip for getting started, go to bodybuilding.com, they have really good articles there on how to start, excercise tips and basically anything and everything you need to know about lifting weights and working out. It helped me when I first started many years ago. With a decent plan that I got on the website, and keeping a journal of my progression, I am now benching 325 and squatting 400. This is after starting off 6 years back benching 150 and squatting a measly 185.

Main thing to body building is patience and determination, if you have these two qualities, no matter how small you may be, you can succeed.

I frequent that site often as well. :) Very helpful articles, and the people are fairly nice there too.

I've only been going at it for about 6 months now, seeing better results, but I hope I can stick it through and really start to make some more great progress.

You say it took you 6 years to get up there? Then maybe I'm not doing it wrong. :p I was thinking this type of stuff happens in 6 months, so I got a bit discouraged ;)

#13 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

Depends what you are looking for gaining and the reasons why.

If you want abs you can do simple things like situps, biking etc. I've been doing this for several months (in the gym of course) although I've been using weights in my situps, 35 lbs side to side, 25 lbs over my head and my six pack is peeking out.

If you want arms, there aren't many options here. Chinups, pullups, lifting dumbells and bicep curls are basically the only techniques that solely focus on them.

For back, benchpress, deadlift, squats, shoulder press, lat pull etc.

Legs, running, biking, leg press, calf raise etc.

For maximum benefits; train daily, but never the same muscle groups. Do different ones every other day and you will see results fast. Eat as much as you can and attempt to corporate protein, sugar and water into your diet at all times, you may want to look into supplements etc. to enhance your skills. If you want to have just a good tone overall, I would recommend skimming over Hobo's links, they will probably suit that need. Also why I mentioned the reasons for this are if you are more motivated to lift weights, you will do much better. For myself, adrenaline can kick in anytime I pretty much want it to because I enjoy lifting weights and have a purpose for doing them, not just to be some huge tough guy. It will enhance my ability in my career etc.

GL and if you have any questions just message me.

#14 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2010 - 03:59 PM

I frequent that site often as well. :) Very helpful articles, and the people are fairly nice there too.

I've only been going at it for about 6 months now, seeing better results, but I hope I can stick it through and really start to make some more great progress.

You say it took you 6 years to get up there? Then maybe I'm not doing it wrong. :p I was thinking this type of stuff happens in 6 months, so I got a bit discouraged ;)

yes, 6 years of dedicated bodybuilding. The only reason it took so long IMO is that I dont take any supplements, such as whey protein. Had I stuck to a better overall diet my first 3 years I think the improvements would have been better and quicker. But then again, life hits you and its really hard to get through work, family time and working out, and then you have to keep a certain diet, its overwhelming at times.

I kept myself dedicated and stuck to my goals of increasing mass and getting stronger, 6 years later, I've gone from 180 lean pounds to 240. Man do I love going to the beach, lol. Hard work and dedication is the key.

#15 kiddX

kiddX
  • 606 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 04:11 PM

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/

i heart that place.

#16 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2010 - 05:46 PM

Chinups, pullups, lifting dumbells and bicep curls are basically the only techniques that solely focus on them.

Pullups and chinups work more than your biceps. There are like a dozen types curls for your biceps. What do you mean by 'lifting dumbells'?

#17 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 11:43 PM

Pullups and chinups work more than your biceps. There are like a dozen types curls for your biceps. What do you mean by 'lifting dumbells'?

Yes but I mentioned solely the arm group, including triceps etc.

What I meant was the old fashioned way of lifting dumbells, just with the wrists, not any other exercises.

#18 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:39 AM

Oh whoops, misread.
Still, lats are the main muscle targeted and even your chest/traps are being worked (synergists). They are hardly isolation exercises

#19 Mikes

Mikes
  • 413 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 08:50 AM

yes, 6 years of dedicated bodybuilding. The only reason it took so long IMO is that I dont take any supplements, such as whey protein. Had I stuck to a better overall diet my first 3 years I think the improvements would have been better and quicker. But then again, life hits you and its really hard to get through work, family time and working out, and then you have to keep a certain diet, its overwhelming at times.

I kept myself dedicated and stuck to my goals of increasing mass and getting stronger, 6 years later, I've gone from 180 lean pounds to 240. Man do I love going to the beach, lol. Hard work and dedication is the key.

Good work! I think I will add bodybuilding to my goals along with tennis... the confidence that comes with that hard work must be amazing :thumbsup:

#20 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 12:29 PM

Oh whoops, misread.
Still, lats are the main muscle targeted and even your chest/traps are being worked (synergists). They are hardly isolation exercises

If you do lat pull down behind your back I believe it is solely the back, either way it was just an example :p

#21 RKO

RKO
  • 590 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Good work! I think I will add bodybuilding to my goals along with tennis... the confidence that comes with that hard work must be amazing :thumbsup:

Yes it is.

#22 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:18 PM

Jesus christ. Just eat healthy and go to the gym with proper form. It's really not that hard for 'beginning weight lifting'. Go to Bodybuilding.com and read there. All you're going to get here are links you could've found with Google.

#23 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

If you do lat pull down behind your back I believe it is solely the back, either way it was just an example :p

This technique is generally frowned upon these days.

I hate these topics....everyone thinks they know everything about weightlifting, eating right etc....

#24 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:42 PM

This technique is generally frowned upon these days.

I hate these topics....everyone thinks they know everything about weightlifting, eating right etc....

I like the method of slapping my troubles away with the Slap Chop. It's easy. You just chop, chop, chop, chop.

#25 Oaken

Oaken
  • 7298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I like the method of slapping my troubles away with the Slap Chop. It's easy. You just chop, chop, chop, chop.

Where does the slap come into it? I mean, do I slap after the first, second, third or fourth chop?

Actually, that would be more of a Chop Slap....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users