Quantcast

The "Popular" members of Neocodex

• Please log in to reply
237 replies to this topic

#101 kuwaz

kuwaz
  • 1181 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:22 AM

Where you been bitch, why you no online.

#102 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:43 AM

a) Irrelevant distinction is irrelevant. I could understand if you were Welsh or a Scot, but there is no English Parliament. Stop confusing the kiddies who still don't know that the British Isles include Ireland.

It's not irrelevant, the country I was born in is England so I'm English.

#103 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:52 AM

It's not irrelevant, the country I was born in is England so I'm English.

You're all a bunch of fuckin' UKers to me.

What is the a person from the UK called?

A United Kingdomite? United Kingdomer? United Kingdoman? United Kingdumbass? Drunkard?

Edited by jcrboy, 28 May 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#104 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 06:57 AM

You're all a bunch of fuckin' UKers to me.

What is the a person from the UK called?

A United Kingdomite? United Kingdomer? United Kingdoman? United Kingdumbass? Drunkard?

You'd refer to them by their actual nationality, English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish or Northern Irish.

#105 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:19 AM

Constituent countries only make sense if they have their own governments. You only have one prime minister, one foreign policy, one queen at a time. How can you call yourself a different country? It's not like you're using Cornish, which is ethnic or cultural as well as geographic.

Obviously this is an etymological debate - we have different views of what a country is. A state within a state, incapable of independent action, cannot be a country in American English. California isn't a country but rather a state or province, although it arguably has more self-governance than 'England' does. England is governed by representatives of the entire UK, whereas California is governed by Californians. So nyeh :p

I'm baiting, of course. But I still think you lot contort and distort the meaning of your language more than we ever could on this side of the pond. I've read H. L. Mencken's The American Language - you guys may have invented it, but we made it the language of international flight, trade, the internet, and much more.

#106 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:38 AM

You'd refer to them by their actual nationality, English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish or Northern Irish.

I may be from America, but I no longer acknowledge the term "American."

It is an over-generalization of the area in which I live, and while I will admit to living in the country of the "United States of America," I feel that the term "Marylander" is the only proper term that can accurately describe my heritage and upbringing.

Proof: Maryland has existed longer than the United States of America.

My tone is similar to redlion's, and I am clearly in agreement.

#107 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 07:52 AM

Constituent countries only make sense if they have their own governments. You only have one prime minister, one foreign policy, one queen at a time. How can you call yourself a different country? It's not like you're using Cornish, which is ethnic or cultural as well as geographic.

Obviously this is an etymological debate - we have different views of what a country is. A state within a state, incapable of independent action, cannot be a country in American English. California isn't a country but rather a state or province, although it arguably has more self-governance than 'England' does. England is governed by representatives of the entire UK, whereas California is governed by Californians. So nyeh :p

I'm baiting, of course. But I still think you lot contort and distort the meaning of your language more than we ever could on this side of the pond. I've read H. L. Mencken's The American Language - you guys may have invented it, but we made it the language of international flight, trade, the internet, and much more.

England, Scotland and Wales do actually have slightly different legislation (Scotland and Wales have free medical prescription for example whereas England currently doesn't) and legal systems so there is a variation between the countries which make up Great Britain. What you're referring to is what we call the West Lothian question which essentially describes the problem of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs being able to take part in votes on legislation which affect only England while English MPs cannot vote on matters which would affect only the other individual countries. It's an issue which has failed to have been addressed for many years...but it doesn't diminish the status of the individual countries involved.

Regarding your first paragraph, the Commonwealth only has one head (our queen) but they're still individual countries. ;)

But we digress.

#108 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

I may be from America, but I no longer acknowledge the term "American."

It is an over-generalization of the area in which I live, and while I will admit to living in the country of the "United States of America," I feel that the term "Marylander" is the only proper term that can accurately describe my heritage and upbringing.

Proof: Maryland has existed longer than the United States of America.

My tone is similar to redlion's, and I am clearly in agreement.

I was born in Maryland, does that make me a Marylander too, or am I Pennsylvanian? I don't think I prefer either actually. I'd much rather make up my own nationality and call myself Caprican. (Okay, technically I didn't make that up, but you get the picture.)

#109 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 08:24 AM

Georgina

Spoiler

Its funny how you think he name is Laser Wave.

Its deffinately Waser Lave. Look it up.

Wow its byootifull! Your brush strokes are amazing - you should charge :p hehe

#110 kuwaz

kuwaz
  • 1181 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

LOL.

But yeah, you do call HKs... as HKer.

Hong Konger? Hong Konganeeeeese? Hong Kongian?

#111 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

Has it ever been different?

Nope, which is why I always come back. ;)

#112 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:58 PM

England, Scotland and Wales do actually have slightly different legislation (Scotland and Wales have free medical prescription for example whereas England currently doesn't) and legal systems so there is a variation between the countries which make up Great Britain. What you're referring to is what we call the West Lothian question which essentially describes the problem of Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs being able to take part in votes on legislation which affect only England while English MPs cannot vote on matters which would affect only the other individual countries. It's an issue which has failed to have been addressed for many years...but it doesn't diminish the status of the individual countries involved.

Regarding your first paragraph, the Commonwealth only has one head (our queen) but they're still individual countries. ;)

But we digress.

Several states in america have different legislations then the federal government. Alot of states differ on many things. So our rule would still apply. If your not under British Parlaments rule, then neither are we. We can vote on things that apply to the Federal Government, or on just our state.

America operates in basically the same way (Only more kickass... Right?). Your either British, or I am Floridian (Or oklahomian). You cant have it half way.

#113 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:56 AM

Your either British, or I am Floridian (Or oklahomian). You cant have it half way.

Except that Great Britain is actually just a geographical term, it's not a political entity. So it would either be UKish or English and only one of those makes any sense, although I do accept that in your case you seem to prefer to ignore sense.

#114 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:58 AM

Except that Great Britain is actually just a geographical term, it's not a political entity. So it would either be UKish or English and only one of those makes any sense, although I do accept that in your case you seem to prefer to ignore sense.

Whats the national form of your government? Is it UK. England. or Great Britan? Or something else.

#115 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:01 AM

Whats the national form of your government? Is it UK. England. or Great Britan? Or something else.

UK. Great Britain is just the name of the island made up of the countries England, Scotland and Wales.

You should actually learn these basic things before trying to tell people about their own nationality.

#116 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:13 AM

UK. Great Britain is just the name of the island made up of the countries England, Scotland and Wales.

You should actually learn these basic things before trying to tell people about their own nationality.

<3
Truth.

No offense argue, you just seem to be trying to be a wise ass in this part of the thread.

Anyways, Waster, I'm coming to live in the UK in September :D

There goes your country :p

#117 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:22 AM

<3
Truth.

No offense argue, you just seem to be trying to be a wise ass in this part of the thread.

Anyways, Waster, I'm coming to live in the UK in September :D

There goes your country :p

Actually, I was just trying to correct him because he claims that because he doesn't live in a certain location, he isnt supposed to be called that nationality. Yet he calls me an American.

I wasn't aware of what exactly it was called, and was relying on previous posts regarding it.

He is being the wise ass.

#118 ArticTheTiger

ArticTheTiger
  • 1318 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Actually, I was just trying to correct him because he claims that because he doesn't live in a certain location, he isnt supposed to be called that nationality. Yet he calls me an American.

how many people outside the USA do you know who don't call you american if you didn't tell them to call you a Marill before?

Posted Image

#119 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:31 AM

I wasn't aware of what exactly it was called, and was relying on previous posts regarding it.

He is being the wise ass.

As far as I'm aware the nation in which you live is called the United States of America and hence you're American. The nation in which I live is called England and therefore my nationality is English. It's got nothing to do with being a 'wise ass', you just seem to have a habit of getting involved in things which you don't fully understand (if I wanted to be a 'wise ass' I'd bring up the theory of self-determination).

#120 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:51 AM

As far as I'm aware the nation in which you live is called the United States of America and hence you're American. The nation in which I live is called England and therefore my nationality is English. It's got nothing to do with being a 'wise ass', you just seem to have a habit of getting involved in things which you don't fully understand (if I wanted to be a 'wise ass' I'd bring up the theory of self-determination).

Just leave it alone. I gave it up when you mentioned digression. We're supposed to be talking about jcrgirl's awesome illustrator drawings, not this minor technicality.

Speaking of, where's my drawing?

My face is all over the digital camera game - artists, go find it :p

#121 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

You knew perfectly well which nation he was talking about, but you felt the need to correct him. How is that not being a wise ass?.

#122 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

My face is all over the digital camera game - artists, go find it Posted Image

Why, hello there, Smiley.
Spoiler

#123 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:13 AM

Why, hello there, Smiley.

Spoiler

Way to not draw a picture.

Yeah, that was me a couple years ago, not sure how long exactly. I basically look like that except with a bit of facial hair I can never get rid of. It's chronic :(

#124 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2010 - 06:21 PM

Way to not draw a picture.

NAKED TIME!!!
Posted Image

#125 jcrdude

jcrdude