I'm here *waves*

#177 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:03 AM

Are the boards really that dead? :/

A little bit, but I think the post was pretty hilarious either way.

#178 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:04 AM

Posted Image

#179 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:02 AM

Posted Image

Yes.

Because in a universe where anything is possible, it's possible for something to be both impossible and possible at the same time.

#180 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:27 PM

Your post count is reduced too (not that you care). Now stop being a smart-ass. :thumbsup:

Okay Mom. You've got to go through a lot of my posts, I've done plenty of smiley face posts, and this is the first I've been called on.

Are the boards really that dead? :/

Well last time I tried to visit this place only had two lines of text, and the IRC was dead, so I was like "Fuck it"

#181 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:54 AM

Yes.

Because in a universe where anything is possible, it's possible for something to be both impossible and possible at the same time.

But it's impossible for something to be impossible if anything is possible.

#182 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:57 AM

But it's impossible for something to be impossible if anything is possible.

No, by definition, it isn't.

You think you've posed a paradox, where in fact, you're just not thinking adequately around the concept.

#183 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:12 AM

You think you've posed a paradox, where in fact, you're just not thinking adequately around the concept.

im·pos·si·ble   [im-pos-uh-buhl] Show IPA
–adjective
not possible; unable to be, exist, happen, etc.
unable to be done, performed, effected, etc.: an impossible assignment.
incapable of being true, as a rumor.
not to be done, endured, etc., with any degree of reason or propriety: an impossible situation.
utterly impracticable: an impossible plan.
hopelessly unsuitable, difficult, or objectionable.

So. By definition. Something is impossible if it is "not possible" and thus something cannot be possible and impossible at the same time.

#184 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:16 AM

*snip pointless definition paste*

So. By definition. Something is impossible if it is "not possible" and thus something cannot be possible and impossible at the same time.

We're not talking about the real world. This is a universe where anything is possible.
Ergo, something can be both possible and impossible.

Formal logic does not apply, if you accept as axiomatic that anything is possible.

#185 5MGEDOHC

5MGEDOHC
  • 937 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

so funny how this thread has gone from doodles to nationality to more doodles to convo about the universe neocodex pwns :D

#186 phalkon

phalkon
  • 2399 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

i don't think its so much a conversation about the universe, but the probability of the existence of a parallel universe where anything (including the impossible) is possible. i'd have to agree with joe here though. like Spock says (and i'm paraphrasing for the context) in a universe where anything is possible, even the impossible, however improbable, can be possible.

#187 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

We're not talking about the real world. This is a universe where anything is possible.

Formal logic does not apply, if you accept as axiomatic that anything is possible.

Elaboration:

In Quantum Physics, the act of observing something changes its outcome.

In general, this concept seems impossible, but is generally accepted as well.

To take it one step further, how do we know that the unobserved is performing "the possible"? We can't know because observing it changes the outcome. Therefore, the impossible may well be happening because we cannot observe it happening.

#188 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:07 AM

Elaboration:

In Quantum Physics, the act of observing something changes its outcome.

In general, this concept seems impossible, but is generally accepted as well.

To take it one step further, how do we know that the unobserved is performing "the possible"? We can't know because observing it changes the outcome. Therefore, the impossible may well be happening because we cannot observe it happening.

Where mine is an argument by non-implementation of the Law of Non-Contradiction, that's more an argument by Quantum obfuscation :p

A different tactic, but still an intriguing one.
A further approach could be "argument" by semantics, whereby we take the most colloquial meaning (not to be done, endured, etc., with any degree of reason or propriety: an impossible situation in iargue's copypasta) and apply that.
Namely that, in that context, an "impossible situation" is perfectly possible, and happens all the time.

#189 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

Okay Mom. You've got to go through a lot of my posts, I've done plenty of smiley face posts, and this is the first I've been called on.

I just finished reprimanding someone for spamming smiley faces and then you go and make one. What did you expect me to do? That's why you were "called" on it.

#190 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Realistically I know many things are impossible but in light of this saying I posted that picture.

#191 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

Realistically I know many things are impossible but in light of this saying I posted that picture.

That's not... oh, forget it. Christ.

#192 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

You explicitly stated by definition. This forgo's all previous rules and you look at it by deffinition only. In diffinition sense only. It cannot be both possible and impossible.

There is no debate whatsoever on this subject. By definition, something cannot be both possible and impossible. As proven by the very definition of Impossible.

#193 jcrdude

jcrdude

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:17 PM

You explicitly stated by definition. This forgo's all previous rules and you look at it by deffinition only. In diffinition sense only. It cannot be both possible and impossible.

There is no debate whatsoever on this subject. By definition, something cannot be both possible and impossible. As proven by the very definition of Impossible.

Mission: Impossible was actually a possible mission.

It is both Impossible by name and possible in the fact that it was completed. Therefore, both possible and Impossible.

#194 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Mission: Impossible was actually a possible mission.

It is both Impossible by name and possible in the fact that it was completed. Therefore, both possible and Impossible.

This is not by definition though. That is by title and action, which are completely separate.

The debate is already over. Stop trying to debate against a fucking definition. It directly says it cannot be possible. There is nothing to debate. Continuing to try and debate will just be retarded. Please. For the sake of everything. Stop it.

#195 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:37 PM

I just finished reprimanding someone for spamming smiley faces and then you go and make one. What did you expect me to do? That's why you were "called" on it.

That kinda came across wrong/I sent the wrong message. Apply it to all posts or ignore it. :/ As an "older" member most people turn their heads, but they really shouldn't. :/

#196 Bryan

Bryan
  • 4107 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

This is not by definition though. That is by title and action, which are completely separate.

The debate is already over. Stop trying to debate against a fucking definition. It directly says it cannot be possible. There is nothing to debate. Continuing to try and debate will just be retarded. Please. For the sake of everything. Stop it.

Here you go trying to sound intelligent. In a world where anything is possible, than the definitions of impossible that state 'not possible' obviously do not hold true. Note how the word has more than one definition. If anything is possible, and you take the 6th definition of impossible (the one that states 'objectionable'), than something can both be possible and impossible at the same time. There is no debate because you're wrong. Please. For the sake of everything. Stop it.

What you're trying to do is say that the word impossible must always mean not possible. That's like saying the word pan must always mean the kitchen utensil, as opposed to "to pan for gold" and "to pan iargue for being retarded".

You are wrong, stop trying to be right.

#197 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:30 PM

That's a clusterfuck of horseshit.

By definition, in a world where anything is possible, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

#198 Rambo

Rambo
  • 833 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:42 AM

Boring!

#199 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:03 AM

That's not... oh, forget it. Christ.

I know what you meant you turd burglar but I'm not trolling over that shit mang

#200 Sweeney