I am a spammer

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
111 replies to this topic

#51 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:11 AM

All older members are going to seem intimidating. Maybe cause they've been here for 5+ years and have seen this nonsense countless times. We've seen the highs and lows of Codex and in all honesty, this is one of our higher low points. Sure we have an active community, but most of us "older" members again have graduated beyond posting like it's the NeoBoards. Codex used to be an active community with tons of staff, was it better then? I don't know. I'd hardly consider myself an active member of the community. It's just we used to have conversations beyond what the typical "I got frozen" and "I just discovered sex". I remember when we used to argue Politics, Physics, etc. I remember when posts had SUBSTANCE. At least I don't see it anymore. Maybe once a week or so. Us 'older' members are cynical only because we know what this Forum used to be, and although we drag ourselves off the couch to post, we really have nothing to look forward to as far as posts go. There's a reason PRBM is the only new retired member, THAT's what our community used to be. A group of friends who had semi-intellectual posts. Now we have some blonde chick who thinks DD's on a 200 pound frame look attractive and a bunch of people that worship a retard that can barely code programs and thinks he's the shit.

I'm not grumpy, I'm just high. Don't take offense to anything I say, it's the truth, at least in my book.

These highs and lows that you speak of are probably personal highs and lows. Just because people aren't talking about what you want them to talk about, doesn't mean the entire site has gone to shit. :p We've been more active lately than we have in three years (we are receiving more posts per day, and more overall hits). It's just that our audience has changed, and so has our material. Yes, the quality of posts have decreased a bit, but that is because we've refined our focus to include the things we're good at -- making programs and apps. Naturally, every noob is going to want to ask about that. They can go to a physics forum, or a politics forum if they want to talk about that stuff, because you can't expect us to specifically cater to every little thing that people are interested in.

My advice? Set a good example for these people, and take advantage of the vote-down modification that we plan to bring in soon (to get rid of the nonsense posts).

Also, those who have problems with iargue, you can kindly shut up now (let's not beat around the bush with whom the last part of the post is in reference to). You have expressed your displeasure with his conduct, and we've talked to him about his opinionated posts. He has agreed to cut down on it, he's not going anywhere, and we're not letting him go. I will start removing hurtful posts soon because it is starting to become harassment. You don't need to agree with his point of view on things, but you don't need to bash him for it either.

With that said, there's a block feature where you can add users to it. Filter certain people's content out at your own discretion. It will make things a lot easier for all of us.

#52 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:51 AM

Perhaps we should secretly have 1 post removed from everybody's post count every day. :devil: That'll stop them reaching 500 posts and leaving with full access to the precious.

#53 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:07 AM

Perhaps we should secretly have 1 post removed from everybody's post count every day. :devil: That'll stop them reaching 500 posts and leaving with full access to the precious.

My precious.

#54 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:09 AM

My precious.

SL's precious, that's what it's all about.

#55 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:15 AM

SL's precious, that's what it's all about.

You havent even seen him shirtless :p

#56 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:17 AM

Erm...I'm not entirely sure how that's related but you're right, I haven't. O_o

#57 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 03:47 AM

Erm...I'm not entirely sure how that's related but you're right, I haven't. O_o

'
LOOOOOOOOOL :p
I think he read it as:

SL's [my] precious, that's what it's all about.

#58 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:08 AM

What, u mad acheron?

trollololol

I loled hard. +1

I remember when we used to argue Politics, Physics, etc. I remember when posts had SUBSTANCE. At least I don't see it anymore

Ya man. I think in the last month there has been more sex related posts then in like the last 5 years combined. I think we peaked in our maturity a while back. Wish I was around when British people were here in abundance, seems like interesting times.
We might be more active but now a days when I click the 'view new content' there's 5 pages of threads as opposed to 2 but 3 pages are garbage anyways. I used to open about 90% of the topics, now I open less than 1/3rd and post in even less (and honestly a good chunk of my posts are shitty that I feel I should post otherwise my ppd would drop to like 2. I'm at like >5 now, I remember the glory days of 10 solid posts a day).
But this is a natural consequence of appealing to/having new members, the alternative is closing registrations again which stagnates the community and is at best a short term solution that if kept for too long will basically kill the website

Just checked the profiles of like 5 of the better members in this thread and the post per day is less than 6. But just checked the profiles of like 5 of the... less liked members and their ppd are under 6 as well so there goes that theory

#59 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:30 AM

I loled hard. +1

Ya man. I think in the last month there has been more sex related posts then in like the last 5 years combined. I think we peaked in our maturity a while back. Wish I was around when British people were here in abundance, seems like interesting times.
We might be more active but now a days when I click the 'view new content' there's 5 pages of threads as opposed to 2 but 3 pages are garbage anyways. I used to open about 90% of the topics, now I open less than 1/3rd and post in even less (and honestly a good chunk of my posts are shitty that I feel I should post otherwise my ppd would drop to like 2. I'm at like >5 now, I remember the glory days of 10 solid posts a day).
But this is a natural consequence of appealing to/having new members, the alternative is closing registrations again which stagnates the community and is at best a short term solution that if kept for too long will basically kill the website

Just checked the profiles of like 5 of the better members in this thread and the post per day is less than 6. But just checked the profiles of like 5 of the... less liked members and their ppd are under 6 as well so there goes that theory

There is a reason why you are retired. You are here to bitch because things are changing.

Even if everyone came back, and all the new people left. It wouldnt be the same.

It will never be the same. The admins know that. They are here for a new year.

#60 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:31 AM

There is a reason why you are retired. You are here to bitch because things are changing.

Even if everyone came back, and all the new people left. It wouldnt be the same.

It will never be the same. The admins know that. They are here for a new year.

Just out of curiosity, how many people have 'left'?

#61 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:09 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many people have 'left'?

Lots :|

#62 Turtleboy

Turtleboy
  • 424 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:35 AM

I guess this thread was pretty helpful in getting us to hash out our opinions.

@Shadowlink64, what exactly is this vote down modification?
-From the name alone it sounds like you can just bump down a useless thread that's been bumped up to the front too many times

What it seems like to me, is that we should have more non-neopets related posts. I'd be glad to talk about other things but lately in the general chat - most of the topics are pretty boring and won't garner much though. I'm not trying to be rude or attack anybody but how much real discussion can you hope to have with threads such as "At what age did you lose your virginity?" or "What are your opinions on shoplifting?" (although there has been some interesting things mentioned)

I think it'll help if the older members who do get together outside of irc/stuff get on the boards and post what they think may lead to interesting conversation. Maybe they should also bring some of their chats and make them into legitimate threads/posts. Yes, you're probably going to sit around refreshing for a while to get immediate responses but maybe one day it'll be active enough so that you wouldn't have to refresh for too long ;)
Additionally, many of the "grumpy users" (although I see why they would be grumpy, and the posts they respond to with such attitude may warrant such a feeling) can try to be nicer. They might actually scare away new users who could potentially be contributing lots to this thread.

Anyhow, I think it's time we stopped talking about how great neocodex was and how much fun you guys used to had but rather just go ahead and work on making neocodex better and more appealing for everybody.

#63 yoongguk

yoongguk
  • 534 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:45 AM

@Shadowlink64, what exactly is this vote down modification?
-From the name alone it sounds like you can just bump down a useless thread that's been bumped up to the front too many times

I thought it would be like the opposite of a 'like' button you get on Facebook.

#64 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 05:58 AM

Basically. It will be a special "Report as spam" button.

IF someone posts something offtopic and useless. You can press this button. And once x amount of people press the button, the post goes away, and the person loses a post count.

#65 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:00 AM

Will it work on everyone? :devil:

And on topic posts? :devil:

#66 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

This is giving me less of an incentive to post now. :l

#67 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

Technically, yes, but it will be easier to sink new members' posts. So yes, you can silently protest people's posts by voting everything down, but a significant amount of other people have to agree with you.

Also, we could make things fun and allow people to sink entire topics. :p Some topics are utter garbage, but we need to make sure not to sink topics that are just in the wrong area or something (that can easily be moved).

#68 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:05 PM

Technically, yes, but it will be easier to sink new members' posts. So yes, you can silently protest people's posts by voting everything down, but a significant amount of other people have to agree with you.

Also, we could make things fun and allow people to sink entire topics. :p Some topics are utter garbage, but we need to make sure not to sink topics that are just in the wrong area or something (that can easily be moved).

So, in theory, we could collaboratively eliminate everything a particular user does? ^_^

#69 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:08 PM

So, in theory, we could collaboratively eliminate everything a particular user does? ^_^

I can see where you're going with this. :p

#70 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

I can see where you're going with this. :p

I'm already making more accounts.

#71 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:11 PM

I personally agree with Togepi. It's not all of the older members though but it's a select few who seem like they go completely out of their way to bash new members. When I first got here i didn't post a lot because it seemed all that happened was I got into argument after argument with with same person over completely trivial matters, and it was really irritating and immature. The only thing that kept me coming back were the members who befriended me and were nice to me and i had conversations with. Tbh getting members and keeping them active is a two way street. Yes no one is going to want to join if everyone is spamming 1 or 2 word posts. But no one is also going to join when everyone throws a bitch fit about every little short/off topic post. Everyone needs to take a chill pill tbh.

#72 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm already making more accounts.

We're just going to delete the accounts, issue warns, and make the down-voted posts visible again if that's the case. :/ We can't let this privilege go abused.

#73 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:15 PM

We're just going to delete the accounts, issue warns, and make the down-voted posts visible again if that's the case. :/ We can't let this privilege go abused.

Spoilsport :(

#74 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

Spoilsport :(

Someone has to maintain a bit of normalcy around here. xD

(Notice I said 'a bit'... we're working on the rest.)

#75 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

How about you make full time mods that arbitrarily delete spam posts without warning?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users