• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

So I was listening to the new Lady Gaga song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4a8QtvOkBQ
and I got to thinking, "Hey, this is alright. Sounds like an 80's song. Has a nice message. I can dance to this."
Of course, I love Lady Gaga and think she can do no wrong. Many people on the internets think it sounds too much like Madonna to enjoy, but those are the same people who creamed themselves when the cast of Glee did a Madonna tribute episode, so their reason is invalid. Here I am, thinking it's a harmless feel good dance song. Little did I know this song proves Lady Gaga is a HUGE RACIST!!

So these are the dreadful lyrics--

"No matter black, white or beige
Chola or orient made
I`m on the right track, baby
I was born to be brave"

Although the words are not contained in the Racial Slur Database, CHOLA and ORIENT have caused outrage amongst uppity Hispanic and Asian groups.
Maybe I'm just a huge ignorant person. Maybe I'm not Mexican enough to be offended by the word, but some hispanic women say the word "chola" is as offensive as the word "nigger". Whut. I'd been using the word 'oriental' for years until I had some white lady on livejournal tell me 'rugs are oriental, people are Asian'. Since then, I've been careful not to offend white people with the word "oriental".

I just don't know, guys. Does Chola = Wetback? Does Oriental = Chink?
The only racial word that makes me cringe is NIGGER, because I've heard people say it with such hatred in their voice.

Do you find the word "oriental" or "chola" offensive? Why? Have you ever been called a racial slur in jest or anger? DID YOU CRY BABY CRY CRY?!

It's okay, Subway Kid.
Posted Image

#2 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

I think oriental is just outdated and not all that accurate, it groups a lot of people together when vast cultural differences exist.

If I got butthurt it would be pretty hypocritical of me, I'm half-azn and hate hard on some of the minorities around where I live.

#3 JL3

JL3
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:11 AM

What is the accepted/current term for orientals? lol

#4 Seaner

Seaner
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

What is the accepted/current term for orientals? lol

Asian is the PC term.

#5 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:27 AM

Asian is the PC term.

Which I've always found odd because Asia is a continent that includes the middle east, and Russia. Technically, they're Asians as well, amirite? But you wouldn't call a Russian or an Indian person an Asian, even though they live in Asia. Somehow it's PC to see a person with almond shaped eyes and say, "That person is Asian."
Ah well. I guess it's better than the customers at work who refer to our Vietnamese pharmacist as "Jackie Chan" or "Kung Fu".

#6 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:13 AM

Oriental doesn't bother me in the least bit. Never had someone actually call me one though lol.

#7 JL3

JL3
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:07 PM

Asian is the PC term.

Here in the UK, Indians/Pakistanis call themselves asians so they call Chinese/Japanese/Korean etc oriential...

Edited by JL3, 19 February 2011 - 01:08 PM.

#8 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think people are too fucking sensitive and take things that aren't meant to be offensive, offensively.

#9 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

mif.
it's not as bad as Latino
or Indian (for Native Americans) that is just the wrong country altogether

at least the orient (and thus oriental) has some roots coming from its meaning to the East
it is more of a geographical term used to describe a race (which is also made up but i wont start on that) it could be worse

#10 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

lmao i say i'm oriental all the time. I use it just like Punk does

If I want to specify Korean, Chinese, Japanese etc. I say Oriental. East Indians are not oriental, nor russians nor middle easterns. It's not racist to me xD

#11 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:39 PM

People need to pay less attention to the words, and more attention to the message.

#12 SailorMoon

SailorMoon
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

oriental is just very old word, like 'venereal disease' or "mentally retarded". years later better name was created to replace this, but old people may still say old names. at the time of old persons youth these words are acceptable~~~ but today offensive or ignorant maybe~~ ( ̄へ ̄)

#13 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:07 PM

Chola= is like Indian or something img chola =
Posted Image

Not all Spanish ppl are like this so I find it reasonable people are getting offended by the word

#14 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Chola= is like Indian or something img chola =
Posted Image

Not all Spanish ppl are like this so I find it reasonable people are getting offended by the word

WTF THAT'S MY ABUELITA!

Anyway, that's not chola... this is..
Posted Image
Bitchy Mexican girls with their eyebrows shaved off who dress like men and put a shit ton of hairspray on.

#15 DanDoesWork

DanDoesWork
  • 685 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

Well I for one don't get offended by the word orient/oriental. Like Boggart I say it all the time, and if I want to be more specific I'll call it as it is. But as for the hispanics getting offended I really don't know. I love Lady Gaga, and if people will get offended by that IDK. She always has a positive message to say every time she sings.

#16 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 05:15 PM

oriental is just very old word, like 'venereal disease' or "mentally retarded". years later better name was created to replace this, but old people may still say old names. at the time of old persons youth these words are acceptable~~~ but today offensive or ignorant maybe~~ ( ̄へ ̄)

Thanks for making me feel waaayyyy old fashioned... What do people say now instead? I hear STD/STI for venereal disease and understand that... but how else do you say mentally retarded now? Mental retardation is like a medical term and I still use it at work... (I do psychiatric nursing) O_o

I also had never head Chola before... only Cholo... I assume the difference is the masculine and feminine form. :p

#17 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

I also had never head Chola before... only Cholo... I assume the difference is the masculine and feminine form. :p

Clearly you do not live in SoCal.

#18 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

WTF THAT'S MY ABUELITA!

Anyway, that's not chola... this is..
Posted Image
Bitchy Mexican girls with their eyebrows shaved off who dress like men and put a shit ton of hairspray on.

rolf, idk but thats what they call cholas where I live, I hate to break it to you xD

#19 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc = asians
Indians, Sri Lankans, etc = curries
Russians = comrades
Italians, Greeks, Turks = wogs
Lebanese, Turks = muzzahs

all within the right context, that is...

#20 Dichromate

Dichromate
  • 277 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 08:13 PM

o·ri·en·tal (ôrPosted ImagePosted Image-Posted ImagenPosted Imagetl, Posted ImagerPosted Image-)adj.
1. Of or relating to the countries of the Orient or their peoples or cultures; eastern.
2. Of or designating the biogeographic region that includes Asia south of the Himalaya Mountains and the islands of the Malay Archipelago.

I'm Eastern, Chinese,etc. Oriental is basically what we use to advertise traditional furniture. Oriental IS what I am. It'll be idiotic to rage against people for calling me what I am, especially when Gaga doesn't even mean it as offensive.

It's like...Rabbits raging against hares for calling them rabbits.

#21 SailorMoon

SailorMoon
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for making me feel waaayyyy old fashioned... What do people say now instead? I hear STD/STI for venereal disease and understand that... but how else do you say mentally retarded now? Mental retardation is like a medical term and I still use it at work... (I do psychiatric nursing) O_o

is medical term, but when 'retarded' is now derogatory , so is mentally retarded~~~ now people force 'mentally ill' or 'mentally disabled' or 'mentally handicapped' instead.. ( ̄ー ̄)

I also say mentally retarded~~ ( ̄~ ̄;)
is how I was taught...

Edited by SailorMoon, 19 February 2011 - 09:17 PM.

#22 Dithria

Dithria
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

I just like the song. People need to stop reading too much into it. Lady Gaga obviously wouldn't put it in her song if it were offensive.

#23 Lallard

Lallard
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

Alright, so this whole "white people gone too far" thing has been way too out of hand. If ever it's the "minorities" that are just taking advantage of the past and getting butthurt SO easily.

Do you really think GaGa made this song for the purpose of offending anyone? Sure, the diction could use some work but it's just plain bullsh** for some choice of words to be taboo'd depending on your ethnicity.

Enjoy the song, and move on. Hell, I'll betcha the ones "hatin'" on GaGa's lyrics are those who listen to Lil' Wayne or some other bland, autotune rapper that fires the words "Fuck, Nigger, Bitches, etc." in every line of their song.

EDIT: I'm not a fan of Lady GaGa by the way. I love the song covers based on her lyrics for some reason however, just can't appreciate her "pop-ish" added I guess. Oh yeah, and being Asian oriental doesn't sound so offensive to begin with anyways.

Edited by Lallard, 20 February 2011 - 12:03 AM.

#24 Las3rs

Las3rs
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:39 PM

I just like the song. People need to stop reading too much into it. Lady Gaga obviously wouldn't put it in her song if it were offensive.

You sure about that? I think you think too highly of Gaga... lol.

#25 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 February 2011 - 11:44 PM

Im Full Italian, and my friends call me guinea and guido alot, even though most of them arent italian. It doesnt bother me at all, i feel as if racial slurs are used to much nowadays to mean anything serious unless the intent of harm is behind the words, and if thats the case, the words dont mean much because an altercation was imminent anyways...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users