Good College = Stable Life?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:29 PM

A high school kid wonders

Edited by coolaznmagekid342, 04 November 2011 - 06:29 PM.

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:48 PM

All depends on if you get a stable job after College.

#3 allzero

allzero
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

You could be going to the best university in the world but it wouldn't matter if you don't have a good, stable job.

#4 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

Mmmm

Good College -> More Job Opportunities for Stable Job -> Stable Job

?

#5 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:23 PM

I was kinda wondering about this too, I know that I'm going to go to college; because I'm at the top of my class and it seems like an experience you should have. But I was wondering if in the current economy if it's actually worth all those student loans.

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

Mmmm

?

Well, unless you have external factors directly affecting your life, then your job should be providing enough income to pay for your expenses.

How much more do you need for life to be stable, the rest is more subjected to opinions.

#7 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:27 PM

More importantly, why do you want a stable life?

#8 Aarpm

Aarpm
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:31 PM

If you can get grants and scholarships, go to college.

If you can't, don't.

#9 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:43 PM

Cause I want to be one of the 1%

Depending on where you live, how much you want to work go to a decent local college and live with your parents while you study. $300 in utility bills > over $1000 for rent a month.

Find a job that will last you a while once school is over look into getting your own place. Down payment on a decent house where I live is $40,000+ with 7.5% interest or $80,000+ no interest, and that doesn't count all the other fees you will get.

#10 cokiwah

cokiwah
  • 1655 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:51 PM

A good college doesn't hurt.

Also, being the 1% doesn't mean necessarily mean going to Harvard, most of the world's billionaires dropped out of college!

#11 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

A good college doesn't hurt.

Also, being the 1% doesn't mean necessarily mean going to Harvard, most of the world's billionaires dropped out of college!

Cept Oprah, I heard she secretly has a degree in engineering.

#12 Abradix

Abradix
  • 769 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:51 PM

First thing you've ever posted that I can agree with.

Life itself is an effort in futility... Might as well have fun with it.

#13 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:19 AM

Mind expounding on that a bit?
What is a "good" college and what is a "stable" life to you?

#14 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:38 AM

I know someone who went to college and university and now sits in a doorway of KFC begging for money or waiting for the usual people who feel sorry for her to buy her chicken.

#15 Junsu

Junsu
  • 1566 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Mind expounding on that a bit?
What is a "good" college and what is a "stable" life to you?

Good College = Top 25 Colleges in the US.
Stable Life = Living in a 2 million dollar house comfortably

#16 Rainie

Rainie
  • 854 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

Going to college would give a greater chance of getting a stable job, but people can still be successful without going to college

In my opinion the most important factor is having job experiences, nobody is going to start as the CEO of a company as their first job, and nobody would hire somebody to be a CEO without any previous experience.

#17 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:11 PM

Mmmm

?

Mmmm not always I guess? Since I've seen high school drop outs/grads get decent jobs more easily than kids with their Master degrees/being overqualified and the like lately :V

#18 Rooshy

Rooshy
  • 254 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Obviously you have to go to a good college. You wouldn't want to bring dishonor to your family.

#19 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Really depends on what you want to do imo.. My sister finished University just as I finished highschool, I saw that she had $50,000 in debt, and didn't have a job related to what she went to school for, so I decided to go into a trade. The trade was amazing money from the start, with no debt, and after 4 years I'd be making over $100,000/yr, but I decided to go back to school to try the things that *really* interest me. I think being able to wake up every day to do something you love is more important then money :p

#20 Therion

Therion
  • 209 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

You can be hugely successful without a degree of any kind. I'm the type of person that hates tertiary education being marketed with monetary means - learning should be an enriching experience to make a person better prepared for what they want to do in life and not a slow, legal method of printing money. Be especially careful of where you go in the US, student loans are often extremely expensive because they know that they're quite often always approved, so the bank is paying the difference (for now)., and the university gets enormous funding for nothing and you get socked with debt you'll never pay back for a degree that isn't likely to land you a high demand, low supply job.

College won't teach you things such as common sense and foresight, or financial planning (thought financial planning helps a lot when you're a poor student). These things will give you a stable life far easier than a slip of paper. Though your definition of a stable life is a bit excessive. If all you care about is money, get into business. If you're good at math and or comfortable lying to people you'll do fine without an official degree.

#21 Hydrogen

Hydrogen
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 22213 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:20 PM

Really depends on what you want to do imo.. My sister finished University just as I finished highschool, I saw that she had $50,000 in debt, and didn't have a job related to what she went to school for, so I decided to go into a trade. The trade was amazing money from the start, with no debt, and after 4 years I'd be making over $100,000/yr, but I decided to go back to school to try the things that *really* interest me. I think being able to wake up every day to do something you love is more important then money :p

Good. That decision is going to make you happier in the long run.

Through my experience, having gone through the entire college/job shebang, is that it all depends on what you study. If you are in the sciences or engineering, the material taught in undergraduate courses was discovered/invented 30 to 40 years ago and will be the same regardless of the college you go to. My advice: go to a college that attracts intelligent, but not as intelligent as you, students. Be the top dog there and get as close to a 4.0 gpa as you can. This will be more impressive than the prestige that comes with your college, both if you apply for graduate school and when applying for jobs. After your first job, your gpa will be meaningless, so don't worry about it too much if it isn't stellar. The prestige of a college comes from the research quality/output of faculty and graduate students. Don't worry about prestige at the undergraduate level. It doesn't mean anything anyway.

#22 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:40 PM

Good College = Top 25 Colleges in the US.
Stable Life = Living in a 2 million dollar house comfortably

Its like looking into a mirror.
No wait, that's cause all asians look alike.

You know you wouldn't be able to live with yourself if you didn't go.

#23 Amagius

Amagius
  • 1117 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:59 AM

We (referring to the true Human race and not those monkeyish subordinate lookalikes) all write our own narrative; there are a million paths to the goal. Thus, I won't tell you whether my choices have led me in a good or right direction, except that I am quite blissful. I dropped out of college. What can I say, but it is in my person to extremely dislike shittily done systems (I can rant about college or my college in particular privately). No one likes to feel like a rube.

Like Bone asks above, why do you want a stable life? What security or expectations do you have for life? I don't mean be some patchouli-wearing militant Dharma Bum, but for some true enjoyment of life, you'll need to drill down why you're doing all this. Is it hedonism? Do you believe in a god or higher authority? Are you all right with the Absurd?

These questions will serve you better overall, much more than asking, "Do This = Get That?" Uh, imo. Again, there are millions of paths.

Edit: Ooo, I thought of a video that may serve to guide you (handed down by the Good Reverend David Byrne). If it doesn't help in that sense, maybe it'll help you appreciate how far MTV has "evolved".

#24 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

We (referring to the true Human race and not those monkeyish subordinate lookalikes) all write our own narrative; there are a million paths to the goal. Thus, I won't tell you whether my choices have led me in a good or right direction, except that I am quite blissful. I dropped out of college. What can I say, but it is in my person to extremely dislike shittily done systems (I can rant about college or my college in particular privately). No one likes to feel like a rube.

Like Bone asks above, why do you want a stable life? What security or expectations do you have for life? I don't mean be some patchouli-wearing militant Dharma Bum, but for some true enjoyment of life, you'll need to drill down why you're doing all this. Is it hedonism? Do you believe in a god or higher authority? Are you all right with the Absurd?

These questions will serve you better overall, much more than asking, "Do This = Get That?" Uh, imo. Again, there are millions of paths.

Edit: Ooo, I thought of a video that may serve to guide you (handed down by the Good Reverend David Byrne). If it doesn't help in that sense, maybe it'll help you appreciate how far MTV has "evolved".
http://youtu.be/I1wg1DNHbNU

You see what a higher education does to you?

But yes, the college system is a little screwed right now. Using current data, it seems about 60% or so of America has somewhat attended college. That's more than 150 million people. This results in overall dissatisfaction with the system, as those who have attended and finished college expect a preferential treatment, higher paying jobs, "better" life etc. In reality, you really can't expect everybody who went to college to get a good job to live a comfortable, stable life.

Edited by Kyouma, 06 November 2011 - 03:36 PM.

#25 lluvia

lluvia
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

I don't think it really depends too much about the college as long as it's not like a "technical school" or some school that like no one has ever heard about.
I'm guessing it's the grades that count. - or at least that you graduate and wasn't cutting it to close to failing.
I'm going to a top school but my grades are not that great right now and I'm only a first-semester freshman. :/

gotta pull those up. :/
(goal is vet or pharm school)

Edited by lluvia, 06 November 2011 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users