#76 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:22 PM

*substantive

Figured you might want to know.

Yes actually, thank you. I like improving on my grammar and small stuff like that helps me. :)

#77 ilovepolkadots

ilovepolkadots
  • 724 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

I disagree, I am inclined to state that I feel this topic should have been addressed already. To sum up the entire point of the thread just make substantiating posts that actually pertain to and contribute to the conversation.

i followed the trail of blood here, i am quite sure that this is a menstrual thread
& i do not need a summation as i read the thread in its entirety

as to the fact that the topic of spam should be addressed i agree
and here are two things that can prevent/hinder such posts
Posted Image Posted Image

however, this thread is not simply a plea for less spam it is also a narcissistic rant
thus i fail to see exactly what you are disagreeing with when considering relevance and worthwhile nature of my post

#78 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:50 PM

Oh god, I think I now know what 'circle jerk' means.

#79 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Unfortunately using the report button has little impact besides getting you ridiculed.

+Rep is effective but you can't see who did the +Rep so that probably ties in to why people make needless posts.

I'm only supportive of making more out of your posts, I don't like seeing one or two word posts because I know most everyone here is intelligent, or annoying, enough to make an actual post. :p

Rant or not it has addressed a topic that really should have been made long before now. Not necessarily in the best manner but at least it was addressed.

And... take it easy. We're all friends here. :)

#80 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Oh god, I think I now know what 'circle jerk' means.

Mmmhm~

Circle jerking can be a lot of fun, especially when it pisses people off! 8D It's best if you do that kind of thing on idk, 4chan or something though! They get mad at things really easily and you can just change your nick/tripcode/whatever whenever you want

#81 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:59 PM

Unfortunately using the report button has little impact besides getting you ridiculed.

Only if you're an idiot.

#82 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:05 PM

I actually don't see what the level of intelligence any individual exhibits has to do with impacting the effectiveness of a system designed to trim down on disruptive behavior.

The report system would be more effective if more people used it to be sure because it's not used much at all from my understanding of it and when it is the users reporting often are the ones that have repercussions for utilizing what should be a completely anonymous forum tool.

#83 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:07 PM

I actually don't see what the level of intelligence any individual exhibits has to do with impacting the effectiveness of a system designed to trim down on disruptive behavior.

The report system would be more effective if more people used it to be sure because it's not used much at all from my understanding of it and when it is the users reporting often are the ones that have repercussions for utilizing what should be a completely anonymous forum tool.

Thanks for proving my point. :)

#84 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:09 PM

Stating that I'm "proving your point" by giving my opinion isn't proving anything besides your own ineffectiveness to make anything resembling a clever argument. If you really want to try to insult me I'm sure you can do better, you're a pretty clever kid and I've seen you do better than that already in the short time we've known each other. :thumbsup:

#85 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

How would you even know how often things get reported? For all you know, they get reports every 3 minutes.
I've made my fair share of reports, and have never been in trouble for them. But then again, I don't press that button every time someone calls me a fag, or posts a gif to mock me, or says I'm a stupid, flat-chested, lazy Mexican and that Jesus hates me. I only use it when I see a shitload of spam, when someone is sending me scamming pms, or when, in a heated debate post, someone resorts to personal insults that are WAY out of line.

Thanks for proving my point. :)

I am going to report you for that snide, backhanded way of calling Yung an idiot. The happy face does not deceive me.

#86 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

How would you even know how often things get reported? For all you know, they get reports every 3 minutes.
I've made my fair share of reports, and have never been in trouble for them. But then again, I don't press that button every time someone calls me a fag, or posts a gif to mock me, or says I'm a stupid, flat-chested, lazy Mexican and that Jesus hates me. I only use it when I see a shitload of spam, when someone is sending me scamming pms, or when, in a heated debate post, someone resorts to personal insults that are WAY out of line.

I am going to report you for that snide, backhanded way of calling Yung an idiot. The happy face does not deceive me.

Posted Image

#87 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

That's not necessary in the least, he's perfectly entitled to have whatever opinion of me he chooses to have.

#88 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

And now I'm going to report you for posting a gif without substantial text in your post. While not officially against the rules, I do hear it is frowned upon.

#89 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

And now I'm going to report you for posting a gif without substantial text in your post. While not officially against the rules, I do hear it is frowned upon.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque scelerisque commodo nulla, ut eleifend massa ultricies et. Vivamus dictum scelerisque est, nec gravida dolor congue quis. Morbi a arcu orci. Ut eget arcu lectus, ut porta massa. Phasellus vel felis in lectus viverra hendrerit vel nec ante. Morbi id turpis arcu. Nullam tristique, lorem vitae malesuada sodales, ligula nisl lobortis diam, nec pellentesque dui libero ut massa. In volutpat elementum elementum. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Aenean arcu massa, tincidunt ac elementum a, egestas at nulla. Aenean suscipit magna eros. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit.

Nulla facilisi. Nunc et dolor sapien, ut aliquam arcu. Quisque nec justo libero. Suspendisse bibendum venenatis quam, in auctor lacus lacinia porttitor. Nunc sit amet diam neque, sit amet varius magna. Integer at augue nec velit tristique pharetra sit amet ut libero. Suspendisse cursus augue quis neque egestas et scelerisque diam faucibus. Donec in ipsum sit amet metus tincidunt pellentesque. Etiam felis tellus, semper porttitor luctus et, faucibus ut mauris. Pellentesque laoreet hendrerit lobortis. Nulla semper sem ut quam pharetra ac tincidunt mi euismod.

Duis facilisis, risus ac facilisis adipiscing, urna nisl sodales nisl, ut consectetur lectus tellus quis eros. Etiam consequat nibh a massa semper porta. Ut egestas est in elit adipiscing et dictum diam ullamcorper. Aliquam tristique blandit quam, sit amet adipiscing arcu tempus ac. Integer velit lorem, vehicula et iaculis vitae, molestie eu mi. Aenean massa dui, posuere dictum fermentum non, laoreet dignissim turpis. In velit felis, pellentesque vel tristique nec, tempus vel velit. Aliquam sed tellus nunc, in vestibulum arcu. Nullam ac elit turpis, nec malesuada nunc. Aliquam ullamcorper lacinia sem venenatis ultricies. Quisque tempus luctus tempus. Pellentesque eget lectus purus, tincidunt luctus mi. Etiam non massa eget turpis imperdiet vestibulum.

Nam id ullamcorper justo. Sed suscipit aliquet mauris et adipiscing. Nam hendrerit libero vitae erat consectetur id mattis tellus porta. Pellentesque nec lacinia lacus. Maecenas consequat, massa egestas bibendum sodales, ante urna aliquam augue, ac scelerisque velit mauris nec nunc. Nunc libero odio, tempor tempus viverra sed, sagittis non magna. Quisque tristique diam quis neque suscipit elementum consectetur sem fermentum. Integer ultricies mollis erat, at lacinia ante tincidunt id. Nam ullamcorper dapibus velit, ut sollicitudin ante viverra vel. Nam at neque at lorem accumsan fringilla.

Sed sapien purus, euismod sit amet consectetur nec, tincidunt quis leo. Etiam imperdiet dignissim risus eget convallis. Donec ut purus eros, quis posuere lectus. Curabitur quis quam tellus. Cras vitae nibh non augue euismod sodales. Phasellus vehicula varius orci ut congue. Nulla laoreet aliquam tellus vel posuere. Donec tristique pretium rutrum. Class aptent taciti sociosqu ad litora torquent per conubia nostra, per inceptos himenaeos. Cras iaculis, odio id lobortis mollis, odio orci tempor urna, at consequat quam quam id odio. Ut gravida tristique aliquet. Nullam sit amet cursus nisl. Suspendisse mattis elementum lorem et consectetur. Quisque congue egestas ipsum vitae convallis. Maecenas sit amet massa eu arcu euismod consequat quis ut tellus. Etiam semper volutpat orci, id dapibus leo adipiscing ac.

Posted Image

#90 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:35 PM

Do you really feel its necessary to do things that you know you're going to get in trouble for?

#91 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:40 PM

Do you really feel its necessary to do things that you know you're going to get in trouble for?

Well, you get off on being a goody two shoes mister yes man, and he gets off on being an obnoxious little shit, so what's the difference? :p

#92 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

Oh, I just really hate that word. I don't even like seeing it so that's why (: I'm not a prude and I swear quite a lot but yeah, just don't like it :p

SOMEBODY ELSE, THANK YOU

#93 Inkheart

Inkheart
  • 268 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Well, you get off on being a goody two shoes mister yes man, and he gets off on being an obnoxious little shit, so what's the difference? :p

That... was probably the dumbest fucking thing I'm going to read this year. Kudos to you.

#94 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yes he is, but that's not saying much. If we only took the time to tell people they're wrong in a serious setting (like academia) then we'd only be promoting ignorance, if only by inaction.

Being a douche and being right are two different things.

Why? I don't spend time insulting people with desperately ironic insults like "looks like he plays Magic the Gathering all day".
Calling somebody a nerd on an internet forum is dubious to begin with, but doing it on a forum like this is ridiculous.

Because it makes me feel better. It doesn't have to make sense.

Edited by Napiform, 27 April 2012 - 08:27 PM.

#95 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:08 PM

The level of intelligence of the reporting user has a LOT to do with how effective the report system is. Spam bots could report things, but that won't make the board a better place. That's an extreme example of course, but it's wrong to claim that if people use the feature more, the board will improve in quality. People using the report feature more will not necessarily improve anything. It's when people use the report feature correctly that it becomes effective and worth keeping.

You have never served on staff, so I doubt you would know exactly how many reports staff members go through. I have, and I can say that back in the day our reports were usually fairly easy stuff. There was the occasional bitch-fit thread that multiple staffers had to wade through to sort out who gets a warn, what gets invisied, if and when the thread should be closed, etc, but for the most part it's simple stuff like "duplicate post, please delete" or "move this to X section please."

The users reporting should never be penalized for bringing up potential red flags. Repeated abuse of the report system is an entirely different matter however. Reporting people that disagree with you or that point out when you've stated something incorrectly is not cool and a waste of the staff's time. If someone was warned or otherwise penalized for using the report feature, it was probably abuse of the system, and not for raising a legitimate red flag.

That's not necessary in the least, he's perfectly entitled to have whatever opinion of me he chooses to have.

You're not too good at picking up on sarcasm, are you? She was being facetious.

Being a douche and being right are two different things.

Yes, they're two different things, but that doesn't mean someone can't be both at the same time. That's like saying a square can't be a rectangle. Sweeney is often both. So what's your point?

Spoiler

#96 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

The only reason why somebody would get in trouble for using the report system would be if they're abusing it (and they would only be in trouble following a staff discussion and everybody agreed). For example, if somebody was actively flamebaiting and then decided to report people who react to them the reporter could be warned for the flamebaiting. We welcome all legitimate reports.

#97 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:34 AM

That... was probably the dumbest fucking thing I'm going to read this year. Kudos to you.

You must have iargue on your ignored users list. In that case, kudos to YOU.

#98 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hell, now that there's this thread, people can just look at amazing things Sweeney has said in other threads and then post here about how great they are.

Problem solved.

Edited by Napiform, 28 April 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#99 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hell, now that there's this thread, people can just look at amazing things Sweeney has said in other threads and then post here about how great they are.

Problem solved.

Not a bad idea. I vote the thread title be changed to 'Sweeney appreciation thread.'

#100 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:59 PM

Not a bad idea. I vote the thread title be changed to 'Sweeney appreciation thread.'

We don't change thread titles for shits and giggles, you know. <_<

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users