• Please log in to reply
203 replies to this topic

#1 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:09 PM

Okay. Seeing as I posted this in retired around 5 months ago and haven't heard anything back from the Admin (as usual), I thought I'd post this in general to get some consensus. Basically a thread started about changes at Neocodex and I thought of a few ideas that might go down well. Let me know what you think

1. Employ new Admins. Like Joe said, some deal with the technical side, some the "social side" of the site.

2. Wipe out. Wipe all ranks and start fresh. This includes mods. A select few will then choose certain members to stay as moderators and elect a new retired and private leader.

These leaders then elect a few people to join the ranks immediately. They then join through the old voting process.

Advanced stays the same and you can probably downgrade a couple of programs to keep the masses happy. People may say its favouritism, but it's plain to see go regularly provides this site with meaning. Whether it'll be programming or general discussion, these people are Codex, they deserve to be in the higher echelons of the site.

3. Being back GFX and promote programming section more. Promote two leaders. The promote mini-mods of subsections such as general chat and NC corner or whatever it's called.

4. Training for moderators. God damn some of the newer ones are thick as shit. No diplomacy, bad with words/explanations and constantly arguing.

If a moderator actions something, log it. Deleted posts, closed topics, warnings, whatever. Log it and EXPLAIN to the member in question why they have chose that action.

I believe I still have a 20% warn from two years ago...come on now.

5. More boobs.

6. No internal chat systems which take posting away from the forums. I understand some shitty IRC thing is where people chat but that's offsite. Just persuade people to use the form to talk. Nothing wrong with that.

7. Rehash of the rules, just spit polish them and advertise them to ensure people know them.

8. More boobs.

9. Try to get some RSS feeds or bots to post from other sites? This allows discussion on topics we might not know or can be bothered to post about. Imagine if we had regular posts from BBC news, Reddit, CNN and other sites to promote activity?

I'm not 100% sure of how this would work from a technical side (or if it's possible Posted Image) but its just an idea.

10. Ban Iargue. This is not open for debate.

11. Try and engage older members to participate or come back. We all miss Kim, Matt, Michie and the older yanks who don't come on here any more.

13. Tutorials! But proper ones that aren't nepets related. Programming and GFX tutorials were wicked back in the day. I learnt a lot about photoshop and learned to programe using VB when I was 14!

That's amazing since I have the attention span of...a...something...

14. Advertise the site more. Advertise on google, rival sites, yahoo and MSN groups, the Neopets boards and other new related communities.

15. Finally, the most important point to make. More boobs.

These are just a few ideas I would implement to give Ncodex a new hash. Hell, all these movies and games are getting makeovers, why can't we?

Also, boobs.

I won't go into detail of what the thread was about as it's in retired for a reason but it's just about changing the site for the better. Maybe a bit nostalgic yes? But I do believe we had a good system and the current one is flawed.

I also feel the changes above would bring the site closer and make people feel more validated.

Also, boobs. That is all.

#2 ch33psh33p

ch33psh33p
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:18 PM

+1 to point 10, that kid loves League of Legends way too much.

#3 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:23 PM

Sorry I didn't catch all of that just boobs.

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

I agree with most of this, but I do think that encouraging people to use the forum as opposed to IRC/TC is silly, as TC and IRC exist because they allow features unoffered by forums. To use the forums as a chatroom is impractical and would be quite annoying.

#5 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

+1 to point 10, that kid loves League of Legends way too much.

No!!!!! I We need someone to look stupider than me for goodness sake!

A couple of these changes are a little extreme though - for example, wiping out ranks, tutorials. What will they serve, really?

Edited by Russell, 08 May 2012 - 10:40 PM.

#6 likerobots

likerobots
  • 537 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I agree with most of this, but I do think that encouraging people to use the forum as opposed to IRC/TC is silly, as TC and IRC exist because they allow features unoffered by forums. To use the forums as a chatroom is impractical and would be quite annoying.

i agree with this. tc/irc is just for offhand whatever chatting. yes, it does take some activity off of the forums, but i think chatting in chatrooms promotes a greater sense of ... community ?
if anything, i think a promoting tc & irc more would benefit codex.

#7 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

More boobs!

I wish I knew what old Codex was like. Frizzle and Sweeney, amongst others, speak of it with overwhelming love and a tinge of wistfulness.

#8 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Gonna go ahead and put this in a spoiler because it's really really big!

Spoiler

i agree with this. tc/irc is just for offhand whatever chatting. yes, it does take some activity off of the forums, but i think chatting in chatrooms promotes a greater sense of ... community ?
if anything, i think a promoting tc & irc more would benefit codex.

Yeah, promoting them would be good! It would be neat if there was a way to add a live chat at the top/bottom/side of the page, kinda like what Nyaa Torrents does, since I guess some people just don't pay attention to statuses/notice the Chat tab at the top there ^^

Edited by Turnip, 08 May 2012 - 11:44 PM.

#9 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

Calling them janitors just takes the glamour away from it all :p

#10 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:22 PM

More boobs!

I wish I knew what old Codex was like. Frizzle and Sweeney, amongst others, speak of it with overwhelming love and a tinge of wistfulness.

Nostalgia goggles, m'dear.

#11 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:35 PM

#12 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:53 PM

I think we should have staff's actions log made public. All action should have a reason attached to it. That way people can all be happy.

#13 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:59 PM

I think we should have staff's actions log made public. All action should have a reason attached to it. That way people can all be happy.

Well, mostly every action we can take we should have some possible way to give a reason anyways, and if it's personal, we have PMs as our logs that we can use if needed

Edit: In case I wasn't really clear, I mean we post in the threads and whatnot so our reasons should already be public.

#14 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:31 AM

Well, mostly every action we can take we should have some possible way to give a reason anyways, and if it's personal, we have PMs as our logs that we can use if needed

Edit: In case I wasn't really clear, I mean we post in the threads and whatnot so our reasons should already be public.

I have been at this site for 8 years now and have never seen a moderator explain why he warned someone. If it wasn't for the warns forum and my extensive log I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know about warns at all. Let alone bannings.

#15 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:39 AM

I have been at this site for 8 years now and have never seen a moderator explain why he warned someone. If it wasn't for the warns forum and my extensive log I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know about warns at all. Let alone bannings.

That's what the warns forum is there for, for an explanation why they were warned, there is no reason to have it logged anywhere else, especially in the threads where the action took place.

Although I agree that it should have been public the entire time.

#16 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:45 AM

Spoiler

Well....I don't think we should exclude the external chatting venues. Even if there wasn't an official channel, I'm sure members would make an unofficial one. Much like Yung and Neorealms.

I do not believe we should be attacking someone like this. Leave Argue alone. I know that pulling the programs was a dick more but still, let bygones be bygones. Stop being a child by singling him out like this. It's rude and unnecessary. If you want the programs so badly, write them yourself.

14 is just account suicide :L

#17 ch33psh33p

ch33psh33p
  • 249 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:55 AM

Spoiler

Well....I don't think we should exclude the external chatting venues. Even if there wasn't an official channel, I'm sure members would make an unofficial one. Much like Yung and Neorealms.

I do not believe we should be attacking someone like this. Leave Argue alone. I know that pulling the programs was a dick more but still, let bygones be bygones. Stop being a child by singling him out like this. It's rude and unnecessary. If you want the programs so badly, write them yourself.

14 is just account suicide :L

You realize Argue did SO MUCH more than just pull his programs right?

#18 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

You realize Argue did SO MUCH more than just pull his programs right?

Highly doubt he knows that. Some of that stuff is semi classified xD

#19 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:02 AM

Warnings tend to be self-explanatory.

#20 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:16 AM

Warnings tend to be self-explanatory.

I had a warning for reposting a topic once.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:22 AM

I had a warning for reposting a topic once.

Was it by one of the current moderating team that you're claiming need extensive training?

#22 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

You have a 0% warn. Also, mods/staff do not manually decay warns, there is a bot that is run occasionally which does that.

I would hope that you don't think I am one of the new mods that is "thick as shit and constantly arguing" with no diplomacy, etc, but since there are only 3 of us I assume I am included in that.

I think more discussion about non-Neopets things would be awesome, but it's kind of sad to consider employing a bot to bring us things to talk about. We should be able to rely more on our members for interesting and fresh topics. Everyone who reads this should think about how many topics they have personally created, and out of those how many encouraged intelligent discussion (and weren't just like "how do I get faster buy times in Ambrosia?!?").

Maybe if we have more real world conversations involving more people, those that do participate will learn a bit more about how to communicate civilly and hold up their own appropriate end of a conversation without being condescending or rude.

I would love to see the ranks shaken up. I would love to see Private back. I would love to see people have the ability to donate money to the site and get recognized for it (such as members that are already Advanced+ or higher). I would love to have new staff promotions. I have wanted the contest, GFx and programming sections revived for a long time, but every time I bring up these points I am told that it has been thoroughly discussed and it's not going to happen.

A lot of people on this site, like Ladida said, speak of its past wistfully. If it was so great, then why will the decision makers not allow us to have some of the old features back that everyone loved? I feel cheated as a new member that I cannot experience what everyone is talking so fondly about. I know that changing some ranks and making some promotions will not magically encourage inactive members to come back, but I am sure that some people have other ways to communicate with some of them to ask them to return.

I have tried to hit as many high points as I can, sorry if this looks like hodgepodge and for not quoting but I'm on my phone again.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:10 AM

I would love to see people have the ability to donate money to the site and get recognized for it (such as members that are already Advanced+ or higher).

We used to have tags (I think they were like bronze, silver, gold, diamond, platinum) to recognise people who had made donations to the forum, that was before we had things like paid subscriptions though.

#24 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:23 AM

Was it by one of the current moderating team that you're claiming need extensive training?

Nah was by Blackhawk, just thought it was funny.

TLDR

Sorry, no idea who you are.

We used to have tags (I think they were like bronze, silver, gold, diamond, platinum) to recognise people who had made donations to the forum, that was before we had things like paid subscriptions though.

Was Mumei ultra-black-diamond gold then?

#25 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Okay. Seeing as I posted this in retired around 5 months ago and haven't heard anything back from the Admin (as usual), I thought I'd post this in general to get some consensus. Basically a thread started about changes at Neocodex and I thought of a few ideas that might go down well. Let me know what you think

1. Employ new Admins. Like Joe said, some deal with the technical side, some the "social side" of the site.
Agree.

2. Wipe out. Wipe all ranks and start fresh. This includes mods. A select few will then choose certain members to stay as moderators and elect a new retired and private leader.

These leaders then elect a few people to join the ranks immediately. They then join through the old voting process.

Advanced stays the same and you can probably downgrade a couple of programs to keep the masses happy. People may say its favouritism, but it's plain to see go regularly provides this site with meaning. Whether it'll be programming or general discussion, these people are Codex, they deserve to be in the higher echelons of the site.
Sounds like a lot of work with little/no real reward.

3. Being back GFX and promote programming section more. Promote two leaders. The promote mini-mods of subsections such as general chat and NC corner or whatever it's called.
No comment

4. Training for moderators. God damn some of the newer ones are thick as shit. No diplomacy, bad with words/explanations and constantly arguing.

If a moderator actions something, log it. Deleted posts, closed topics, warnings, whatever. Log it and EXPLAIN to the member in question why they have chose that action.

I believe I still have a 20% warn from two years ago...come on now.
I think the current mods are doing an ok job so far, except for that nymh dude, I say we demote him.

5. More boobs.
This.

6. No internal chat systems which take posting away from the forums. I understand some shitty IRC thing is where people chat but that's offsite. Just persuade people to use the form to talk. Nothing wrong with that.
IRC and forum have two different purposes. All those mentioning TC, that's not related to Codex officially.

7. Rehash of the rules, just spit polish them and advertise them to ensure people know them.
Rules are ok, but they do need to be shoved into people's faces.

8. More boobs.
Yes.

9. Try to get some RSS feeds or bots to post from other sites? This allows discussion on topics we might not know or can be bothered to post about. Imagine if we had regular posts from BBC news, Reddit, CNN and other sites to promote activity?

I'm not 100% sure of how this would work from a technical side (or if it's possible Posted Image) but its just an idea.
Could be helpful, or could be a dead forum spammed day and night by a news bot.

10. Ban Iargue. This is not open for debate...

Maybe.

11. Try and engage older members to participate or come back. We all miss Kim, Matt, Michie and the older yanks who don't come on here any more.
No comment

13. Tutorials! But proper ones that aren't nepets related. Programming and GFX tutorials were wicked back in the day. I learnt a lot about photoshop and learned to programe using VB when I was 14!

That's amazing since I have the attention span of...a...something...
Once again, could work or could draw people's attention for a few weeks and then die.

14. Advertise the site more. Advertise on google, rival sites, yahoo and MSN groups, the Neopets boards and other new related communities.
Never hurts to have new members.

15. Finally, the most important point to make. More boobs.
Most important point indeed.

These are just a few ideas I would implement to give Ncodex a new hash. Hell, all these movies and games are getting makeovers, why can't we?

Also, boobs.

I won't go into detail of what the thread was about as it's in retired for a reason but it's just about changing the site for the better. Maybe a bit nostalgic yes? But I do believe we had a good system and the current one is flawed.

I also feel the changes above would bring the site closer and make people feel more validated.

Also, boobs. That is all.

You forgot boobs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users