• 337 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

source

http://www.washingto...-to-foreigners/openness4.jpg

#2 Sleepydude

Sleepydude
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:14 PM

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of specifically which foreign visitors these nations are not so fond of. Surely there must be some variance.

#3 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

For East Asia, it's usually anyone who's not white, regardless of your nationality.  There are some pretty derogatory terms in Cantonese for South East Asians (Malaysians, Indians etc) :S

#4 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:34 PM

south korea is less welcoming than north korea according to the map. or perhaps gray is a lack of data (this probably makes more sense) now i just feel silly

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:12 PM

I've heard that a lot of places don't like American tourists.

#6 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

Lol, grey is most likely lack of data.  There's no way NK is more welcoming than SK.  Americans and South Koreans aren't allowed in North Korea.  Other foreigners are watched by a minder at all times, and are only allowed to take pictures of certain things.  

#7 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:15 PM

south korea is less welcoming than north korea according to the map. or perhaps gray is a lack of data (this probably makes more sense) now i just feel silly

They just haven't discovered a red perfect enough to use for the peoples Powerful And Prosperous Nation

I've heard that a lot of places don't like American tourists.

That's why a lot of mericans slap a Canadian sticker on to their backpacks on vacations, because Canadaians are considered less obnoxious and rude than USers, that way they get better treatment

Edited by Nonexistent, 02 April 2013 - 05:20 PM.

#8 Mikali

Mikali
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

That's why a lot of mericans slap a Canadian sticker on to their backpacks on vacations, because Canadaians are considered less obnoxious and rude than USers, that way they get better treatment

I know Canadians do that since they don't want to be seen as Americans, but I've never heard that Americans use the Canadian flag when travelling lol

#9 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

YAY CANADA WE HAVE ALL THE IMMIGRANTS AND WE EMBRACE THEM

#10 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Dafuq people be hatin' on da murrkans fo'? Jus 'cuz we be runnin' da world and shit doesn't mean peeps gotta be haters and shit. Shit.

#11 mintpro

mintpro
  • 597 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:23 PM

Interesting map, thanks for linking the source as well. :)

#12 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:37 PM

For East Asia, it's usually anyone who's not white, regardless of your nationality.  There are some pretty derogatory terms in Cantonese for South East Asians (Malaysians, Indians etc) :S

I live in SEA. :p Not in Malaysia/India though, Singapore. We're fairly xenophobic.

#13 Wisdom

Wisdom
  • 136 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:11 AM

I live in SEA. :p Not in Malaysia/India though, Singapore. We're fairly xenophobic.

That is only because of our country stupid policy.

#14 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

It only says "visitors" and not "immigrants". That's interesting since from my impression some countries love tourists but would really hate it if you stayed there (Swiss).

#15 Syntax

Syntax
  • Not an error.

• 991 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:47 AM

Oh. Well, we're okay with tourists, if that wasn't clear.

Also yeah, I guess it's a lot of the govt's foreign talent bullshit that we hate. Especially when it comes to jobs/uni places.

#16 xintervine

xintervine
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Why is Australia dark blue? I'd say it's more purply-pink.

I'm Asian in Australia and when I first came here (many years ago), we got stuff thrown at us and people shouting 'GO HOME!'

And that wasn't just one time.

#17 verano

verano
  • 116 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

Why is Australia dark blue? I'd say it's more purply-pink.

I'm Asian in Australia and when I first came here (many years ago), we got stuff thrown at us and people shouting 'GO HOME!'

And that wasn't just one time.

I reckon it depends on which part of Australia you end up in.  A friend of mine living in a dodgier area got egged and yelled at on numerous occasions, but my experience here has been mostly positive. Even the drunkards that I've met were friendly! I can recall only one incident when I got called a 'fckin Asian' when I was passing by a pub. But I think that one incident out of the many years that I've been here is acceptable. It takes all sorts to make a world. :p

Edited by verano, 03 April 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#18 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

Americans, Polish, French, Germans... we don't hate different groups of foreigners, we hate them all equally.

#19 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:32 AM

TIL exactly how much I hate the term 'murica. 

#20 Deathscythe

Deathscythe
  • 53 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

I think it would be more accurate if the map was split up into multiple maps, with countries welcoming towards specific races of visitors. I wonder how they got this data?

#21 ceterisparibus

ceterisparibus
  • 485 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 06:54 AM

That is only because of our country stupid policy.

Hey fellow singaporean here, I don't really think that we are xenophobic? Sure, given all the recent furore there's bound to be some degree of it, but.. it doesn't seem too bad. It's more of a disagreement about our country's direction and I for one am glad that more of us are standing for what we believe in.

Anyway, on to the subject.... sorry US but i think that there should be some red areas there. especially in the more conservative areas

#22 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hey fellow singaporean here, I don't really think that we are xenophobic? Sure, given all the recent furore there's bound to be some degree of it, but.. it doesn't seem too bad. It's more of a disagreement about our country's direction and I for one am glad that more of us are standing for what we believe in.

Anyway, on to the subject.... sorry US but i think that there should be some red areas there. especially in the more conservative areas

Conservative areas?

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:26 AM

Conservative areas?

The (small c) conservative areas of America are usually the states in the south where racism was typically the most entrenched historically (like Alabama, Georgia etc).

#24 RitzWin

RitzWin
  • 241 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

At first glance it looks like a map of the places the US has fucked with the most.

#25 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

The (small c) conservative areas of America are usually the states in the south where racism was typically the most entrenched historically (like Alabama, Georgia etc).

I figured that's what was meant.
I've found that southerners are the most welcoming people I've ever met. Most obnoxious people I've encountered stateside are the northerners to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users