39 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:34 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...oice.html?_r=2

My own process began on Feb. 2 with a procedure known as a “nipple delay,” which rules out disease in the breast ducts behind the nipple and draws extra blood flow to the area. This causes some pain and a lot of bruising, but it increases the chance of saving the nipple.

Two weeks later I had the major surgery, where the breast tissue is removed and temporary fillers are put in place. The operation can take eight hours. You wake up with drain tubes and expanders in your breasts. It does feel like a scene out of a science-fiction film. But days after surgery you can be back to a normal life.

Nine weeks later, the final surgery is completed with the reconstruction of the breasts with an implant. There have been many advances in this procedure in the last few years, and the results can be beautiful.

Would you have this done voluntarily, with the kind of risks she had? Would you have kept your tits anyway?

(Are you mourning her loss?)

Also, why would you want to save the nipple?

#2 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Maybe in case she wants to breast feed? or maybe it would be awkward not having a nip :C It's scary but I think it would be best removing a bewb instead of dying from cancer.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:45 PM

Maybe in case she wants to breast feed? or maybe it would be awkward not having a nip :C It's scary but I think it would be best removing a bewb instead of dying from cancer.

I just didn't understand. Like they're going to cut all the way around the nipple and just leave it hanging there? I thought she was getting too old for the breastfeeding/babymaking thing.

#4 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:01 PM

I just didn't understand. Like they're going to cut all the way around the nipple and just leave it hanging there? I thought she was getting too old for the breastfeeding/babymaking thing.

errr I hope not XD I think they would like place it where it should be. Like sew it back on or something ;/

Yeah I wasn't too sure because she may just want to look pretty? Or maybe she'd feel naked without the nips.

#5 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

If I had to undergo a procedure where I had to get a significant portion of my body removed, I'd try to keep as much of my natural body as possible.

#6 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

She's getting her ovaries removed as well so I guess she's done with natural childbirth. If I had an 87% chance of getting cancer yes I'd cut them off. She has so many young children to look after I can see how she'd want to be around as long as possible.

#7 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

I thought keeping the nips was for the reconstruction of the breasts so that they look themselves again? She's pretty darn brave. I know one lady who underwent a single mastectomy but it was too late and she died anyway. but leading up to her death her husband treated her like crap because he didn't like the fact that the wifey was somehow less of a woman. Asshole.

#8 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:19 PM

My moms friend died of breast cancer because she felt getting a mastectomy would make her less of a woman. It's a damn shame.

#9 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:42 PM

There's a toss up between psychological/emotional health and mental health. Very difficult and unfortunate predicament to be in, but at the very least, there is a choice. 

#10 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:11 PM

I thought keeping the nips was for the reconstruction of the breasts so that they look themselves again? She's pretty darn brave. I know one lady who underwent a single mastectomy but it was too late and she died anyway. but leading up to her death her husband treated her like crap because he didn't like the fact that the wifey was somehow less of a woman. Asshole.

See, that's why I wouldn't want to. I would think I'd feel like less of a woman.

#11 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:17 PM

If I had a high chance of developing the cancer that killed someone in my family and I could do something about it, then yes of course I would.  Conventions of femininity be damned!

#12 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

A family friend had a double mastectomy recently at 44. She had one of the specific genes for it, her mother and grandmother (on her dad's side I think) both had breast cancer. She had like a 86% chance to get cancer so she went ahead and had it done. She's had reconstruction since and she's doing great now. I say more power to her. She had small breasts and wanted to get fake breasts eventually.. so "why the hell not?" she said. She's pretty cool. I would totally do the same, why not? I think a higher change of not getting cancer is more important than some tissue. It would suck.. but I think empowering at the same time. Maybe I'm just optimistic.

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:10 PM

See, that's why I wouldn't want to. I would think I'd feel like less of a woman.

I'd rather not get cancer though.

(Even if it was my reproductive organs.)

#14 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:56 PM

I'd rather not get cancer though.

(Even if it was my reproductive organs.)

Same here. Plus you can always get reconstructive surgery or a nice tattoo

Spoiler

#15 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:31 AM

Also, why would you want to save the nipple?

It feels fun when someone tickles it.

Feeling like 'less of a woman' is better than having great tits and dying because those great tits are riddled with cancer. Anyway, your breasts don't define your femininity. Your personality does.

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

I'm reasonably sure that being dead makes you feel the least womanly.

#17 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

I'm reasonably sure that being dead makes you feel the least womanly.

It also makes your children sad.

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

Anyway, your breasts don't define your femininity. Your personality does.

I don't think I'm self-actualized enough for that.

#19 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:22 PM

I don't think I'm self-actualized enough for that.

Well, it wouldn't make you more manly, anyway. You wouldn't grow balls just because you've lost your breasts. ;)

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:23 PM

Well, it wouldn't make you more manly, anyway. You wouldn't grow balls just because you've lost your breasts. ;)

Does less womanly = more manly?

I just thought I'd be... androgynous or something. I dunno.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

They reconstruct them these days anyway, they don't just remove everything and leave you like that. :/

#22 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Nothing wrong with being androgynous.
Unless you're ugly. Then you just look like an ugly I don't know what.

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

Nothing wrong with being androgynous.
Unless you're ugly. Then you just look like an ugly I don't know what.

There's nothing wrong with it, but it is less feminine. That's all I was getting at.

And I'm between a 7.15-8.15, depending on whether I smile or not. That's practically pretty!

#24 Guest_Sarah_*

Guest_Sarah_*

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

She did a selfless thing so that her family never have to see her go through what she did with her own mother. Can't fault her for that. I applaud her choice. 

#25 thecurrytalk

thecurrytalk
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 02:45 PM

the fact that she is known for her beauty and would put her health above her image is what is so notable about this. truly a great lesson for mankind!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: boobs, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users