books ereaders merica

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#26 gummis

gummis
  • 58 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:08 PM

Real books, I can't kill a spider with a kindle.

#27 krislox

krislox
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:22 PM

E-books.

Less books to carry :p

#28 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2013 - 03:46 PM

I've tried to read eBooks but I have a hard time getting into reading a book as it is so when I do I want to be able to feel the pages, I want to smell the pages, I want to feel the weight of the book, and I want to be able to not use a bookmark and remember which page I'm on by glancing at the page number when I close the book. It's weird I know but when I was a kid I didn't even find out about bookmarks until I was rereading The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn. So I learned how to memorize the page number I was on and I still to this day have great retention of numbers off the top of my head. This skill is proving useful since I've started reading the girls chapter books and since it's their books they've borrowed from the library if there were a bookmark they'd lose it.

#29 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've tried to read eBooks but I have a hard time getting into reading a book as it is so when I do I want to be able to feel the pages, I want to smell the pages, I want to feel the weight of the book, and I want to be able to not use a bookmark and remember which page I'm on by glancing at the page number when I close the book.

You can technically turn off the thing that auto saves your spot and memorize the page if you want.

#30 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

You can technically turn off the thing that auto saves your spot and memorize the page if you want.

It's not the same and you know it. :p

#31 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:27 PM

It's not the same and you know it. :p

That debate response was not up to par.

#32 ampharos

ampharos
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:21 PM

I'm really into minimalism, so e-books have really helped me a lot. I get to carry around an entire library with me everywhere I go. There are big drawbacks to them, but the fact that they're so convenient makes me quite willing to support the industry. Of course, I'll always own real copies of my absolute favorites.

#33 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

I'm really into minimalism, so e-books have really helped me a lot. I get to carry around an entire library with me everywhere I go. There are big drawbacks to them, but the fact that they're so convenient makes me quite willing to support the industry. Of course, I'll always own real copies of my absolute favorites.

That's kind of why I like them... we have more than a couple overflowing bookshelves, plus boxes I have unpacked yet of just books. We trip over them and caress  pile them up constantly. I'm not going to sit here and tell you the ebooks on my computer are in nice tidy order, but at least there's a search function.

#34 vaxinas

vaxinas
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 01:34 AM

I like e-books. I don't like the feel of paper.

#35 Grandmaster

Grandmaster
  • 748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:17 AM

I think eventually e-book will replace majority of the books. A lot of new publications usually have a ebook version so that people can access them any time any where. The convenience and lack of physical storage make ebook much attractive than usual kind of books.

#36 Rohirric

Rohirric
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 11:29 PM

I think we should be happy that people are reading, period.  The medium doesn't matter as long as they're reading.

That being said, I like having collections of "real" books, but I love the convenience of my e-reader.  It's more practical to bring along on trips when I'm not sure which book I'll actually want to read.  With my e-reader, I can bring all of them along with me.  No sweat!

#37 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

E-books, I move a lot and for something like my textbooks, e-books are way cheaper and I don't have move them around/worry about selling them before the next edition comes out.

#38 Caliwag

Caliwag
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:20 PM

Real books. Bookshelves just look classy and I can't imagine not using a physical textbook, it would be such a pain in the ass to flip pages like that.

#39 foundation

foundation
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:00 AM

Definitely real physical books. You cant collect a 1st edition 1st publication e-book can you?

#40 Jam

Jam
  • 162 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

If it's a book that I'm only gonna read once for educational purposes, I always prefer digital.

If it's a book that has sentimental value to me or is a novel, I must have a hard copy. It feels like its part of my collection, then. A prized possession.

Edited by Jam, 24 December 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#41 buhrooke

buhrooke
  • 28 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

Ehhh I'm kind of on the fence. I find it harder to get into ebooks, but I like their price and how minimal they are. I keep hard copies for my favorite books though ^^.

#42 Mandie

Mandie
  • 407 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:10 PM

Spacewise, I'll take ebooks. Honestly though I don't care. As long as I can read something, I am happy.

#43 nerdionsia

nerdionsia
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:38 PM

I prefer real books to ebooks but if I'm pressed for money and I REALLY want to read a book and the library doesn't have it (darn you tiny library having the 2nd book in a series but not the first!) I'll pirate it and read it on my tablet. I really don't like to do that, however, I REALLY like to read. :/

#44 Mizk

Mizk
  • 137 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

I don't read as often as I'd like to (news years resolution every year -- read more books, and I've only read 2 this year) and I've never read an ebook, so this is a theoretical answer:

I think I'd use my ereader as my primary means of reading books. It's so easy to take wherever you go, and it's small, etc etc. But if I really liked a book, I would buy the real copy and then read the real book any time I wanted to go back and read it again. That way, I wouldn't have a shelf full of books that I actually don't like that much. The "cooler" cover of a book is usually the more expensive one too, an expense I might skimp on if I bought every book that I wanted to read.

I should also add that I'd most likely pirate the ereader books, or rent from the library if that's possible. I don't view pirating ebooks (if it comes to that) as pirating, as I could just as easily have gotten it from the library for free

Edited by Mizk, 04 June 2014 - 08:11 PM.

#45 Clone2000

Clone2000
  • 59 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Real books are better than eBooks  :whistling:

#46 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Fuck eBooks, there's nothing like holding a worn paperback in your hand reading that shit on a beautiful summer day. 

#47 Fawkes

Fawkes
  • Team ASS

• 202 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

I think at some point in the future, yes they will disappear.  It's greener to use e-books, takes up less space, and is more efficient.  Why is it more efficient?  No printing, cutting down trees to make paper, no distributing and what not.  You could carry thousands of books with you at once. Also, I hate the "But if I dropped it in a toilet or somehow destroyed my tablet, all of my books would be gone!" idea people have, because on Kindle you have an account.  My account is linked to my phone, my laptop, and my tablet. If I lose one, I will still have all of the books on that account on any of those devices.

And for one more thing, it doesn't bother me in the least bit.

Of course, like my fiance says, books will remain only as a thing of the past like Vinyl records.  People don't really listen to vinyl anymore, but hit songs/special releases are still being released on vinyl as limited purchases.  They'll become vintage and collectible - something that only hipsters/elitists will want.

I've found that ebooks are even more useful for academic purposes. It's easier to search through an ebook than a real book - I could just type in the word and bam, it shows me every page the word is found on - whereas I find myself flipping page after page mumbling "it's around here somewhere" to myself.  Taking notes is easier too, when I highlight something in my kindle books, the highlighted notes are saved to a section of their own, so I don't have to continuously flip through the pages looking for the specific things I highlighted.  I love it! XD

Not to mention!  Books are nostalgic to a lot of us.  The next generation of kids will most likely favor ebooks, or at least the generation after them.

#48 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

I like both, it depends if you use a good e-reader that uses e-ink or just a tablet that will cause visual fatigue.

The book it's a little over the e-reader, you can just open it and read while the e-reader can run out of battery or break. If you travel by plane you will want to have a book (Although I believe they already let you use electronic devices on planes.)

#49 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 June 2014 - 04:30 AM

For my kids' school, we currently use tangible books, but I can easily see us switching to ebooks once we hit a certain point. I want them to be able to hone their focus, attention, and reading ability before we switch over, but a couple hundred dollars in books a year vs free isn't something I can totally ignore.

#50 Lan

Lan
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 05:48 AM

I think ebooks will reign Supreme  one day.  I've never been Sentimental enough to be attracted by the Smell and  Such things. Its Just So much  easier to  read  using a Kindle for long periods of time  especially particularly thick books.  I always buy the physical Counterpart of a book I love though, kind of like buying posters of musicians.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: books, ereaders, merica

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users