• Please log in to reply
334 replies to this topic

#301 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:04 AM

Hey I totally stand for equality it's just that modern day feminism has been favouriting women way too much and taking shit to unnecessarily extreme levels
If you're going to support one sex's equality, there's no need to put down the other haha like I said, they really quite contradict themselves
Not looking to start a fight just simply speaking my opinion don't want to force anyone to believe anything I do haha
On the other hand, I totally think we could be rave buddies if we put our views on feminism behind us :)

You are allowing your opinion to be swayed by a tiny vocal minority that gets blasted all over media. Christians are dumb because they're all Westboro Baptist Church members. The Islamic faith is dumb because they all behead Christians. Gun owners are dumb because they all think they should have a fully automatic machine gun turret strapped to their front porch. Black people are dumb because they all think white lives don't matter.

That's not how it works. You can't lump an entire group together based on some tiny minority you see plastered all over media. Radical people exist in everything. You can't just let them control your opinion of a group. Perhaps you would prefer to live in a world where you can't vote or have your own opinion. You're a pretty lady, but use your brain and don't pander to neckbeards who hate feminism.

#302 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

Hey I totally stand for equality it's just that modern day feminism has been favouriting women way too much and taking shit to unnecessarily extreme levels
If you're going to support one sex's equality, there's no need to put down the other haha like I said, they really quite contradict themselves
Not looking to start a fight just simply speaking my opinion don't want to force anyone to believe anything I do haha
On the other hand, I totally think we could be rave buddies if we put our views on feminism behind us :)

How adorable.

The whole notion of 'modern day feminism' is false. 

It's something that has been propagated largely by how the media reports things; if you think that media doesn't have a biased, tilt or otherwise poor history of reporting feminism then I encourage you to educate yourself by looking deeply into it and possibly taking a lot of women's studies classes.

There has always been extreme misandry that is mislabelled as feminism.

There is no 'modern day feminism' as people so eloquently like to call it or the disgusting appalling term of 'feminazi.'

There is feminism.

The social, political, economic and personal equality of the sexes.

If you believe in that, you are a feminist.

If you believe in all of that but just don't like the word, you're still a feminist but also a moron.

An opinion is NOT misdefining an entire movement and grouping extremism with it.

An opinion is a preference, it's never right or wrong, such as whether you think pineapple belongs on pizza. 

This in not an opinionated matter.

Feminism IS equality.

Misandry IS ingrained prejudice towards men.

Equality has not been been reached until all women (Black, Latin American, South Asian, Trans) are equal. 

Equality has not been reached until all men (Gay, Trans, Black, etc) are equal.

I'm not sorry if equality is making some groups of people uncomfortable because they aren't handed all their privilege on a silver platter anymore.

I've noticed and experience it as an overly privileged middle class, white, (seen as) straight woman.

You do a total disservice to all women who need equality (spoiler alert: ALL WOMEN), all the women who fought for equality and all the future women who deserve equality in this world.

You couldn't start a fight if you tried. There is nothing to 'fight' about. 

and no, we won't be rave buddies because I won't 'put behind' me something that is the very foundation of who I am. 

I'll stick with all the rave buddies I currently have who don't spout offensive BS and then try to reinforce idiocy. 

635814254751080336-1653860312_tumblr_nd3

Edited by Padme, 14 May 2016 - 08:31 AM.

#303 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

I've actually learned a new term today -- misandry. I'll be on the lookout for people who claim to be feminists, but only adopt the title to cover up their hatred for men. I suppose in a way, me using the phrase "modern day feminism", is me actually trying to say misandry, without knowing how to give it a proper term. So for that I'm sorry. There are very clear differences between feminists who only want to be seen as equals to men, and get rid of the stereotypes, and misandrists(?) who just want to degrade men to further their agenda. Once again, I'm sorry and thank you for educating me.

However, I will still stand by the term feminazi. A feminazi, to me, is a person (male, female, dragonkin, etc) who want men to give up their: rights, money, or even their life so women have better rights. One gender should not have to sacrifice for the equality of the other -- this goes both ways.

Why don't you just tag me in nearly every sentence in your post? I'm a little-big boy, and I can handle being called out on being naive.

Also, that pizza was good as fuck! I ate it in one sitting =].

#304 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 09:09 AM

How adorable.

It's something that has been propagated largely by how the media reports things; if you think that media doesn't have a biased, tilt or otherwise poor history of reporting feminism then I encourage you to educate yourself by looking deeply into it and possibly taking a lot of women's studies classes.

There is no 'modern day feminism' as people so eloquently like to call it or the disgusting appalling term of 'feminazi.'

There is feminism.

If you believe in all of that but just don't like the word, you're still a feminist but also a moron.

An opinion is NOT misdefining an entire movement and grouping extremism with it.

An opinion is a preference, it's never right or wrong, such as whether you think pineapple belongs on pizza. 

Feminism IS equality.

Equality has not been been reached until all women (Black, Latin American, South Asian, Trans) are equal. 

I'm not sorry if equality is making some groups of people uncomfortable because they aren't handed all their privilege on a silver platter anymore.

I've noticed and experience it as an overly privileged middle class, white, (seen as) straight woman.

You do a total disservice to all women who need equality (spoiler alert: ALL WOMEN), all the women who fought for equality and all the future women who deserve equality in this world.

and no, we won't be rave buddies because I won't 'put behind' me something that is the very foundation of who I am. 

I'll stick with all the rave buddies I currently have who don't spout offensive BS and then try to reinforce idiocy. 

I fell more in love with you just now.  :wub:

#305 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:02 AM

Very late disclaimer: I only say modern day feminism is a joke because there seems to be more women who want to take away men's rights, than make everything equal -- "feminazis" if you will. There are so many trigglypuff-esque people out there who fly off the handle at absolutely everything, and blame the "patriarchy" for all of their problems, and cry "OH THE MISOGYNY..." instead of looking at the actual problem. Unfortunately "feminists", like what you can see HERE, seem to be the face of modern day feminism -- does this one girl speak for the whole on-going feminist movement? Absolutely not. However people like the girl I linked to are why modern day feminism is seen as a joke. I'm a traditional feminist, I support equal rights, equal pay, and believe that what a woman is wearing is not an invitation for a man but I sure as hell am not a psycho about it.

To stay on topic I have some pictures from Dreamhack Austin :D.

Spoiler

There are millions of feminist so idk why would you just pick a random person (literally I've never heard of her and I've been a feminist for 10 yrs) and claim they represent all of us? It pretty much makes it very clear that you're ignorant about feminism and haven't really done any research about our movement. This entire post screams confirmation bias and a strange hyperfocus on how good you perceive women to have it in western world. We've already acknowledged that previous waves of feminism have focused primarily on upper middle class white women and made the choice a long time ago to center intersectionally marginalized women, and you'd know that if you paid attention to any kind of feminist discourse outside of tumblr. I just don't understand why whenever someone wants to discredit feminism they pick some random person and try to claim "all feminists are like this!" like how do you not realize how offensive that is?

Also I'm so tired of every conversation about feminism being turned around and made about men. About how much we hate men which inevitably turns around to us having to explain that we don't hate men. Not everyone hates you, not everyone is even thinking about you, chill out.

Edited by Mishelle, 14 May 2016 - 10:05 AM.

#306 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

I've actually learned a new term today -- misandry. I'll be on the lookout for people who claim to be feminists, but only adopt the title to cover up their hatred for men. I suppose in a way, me using the phrase "modern day feminism", is me actually trying to say misandry, without knowing how to give it a proper term. So for that I'm sorry. There are very clear differences between feminists who only want to be seen as equals to men, and get rid of the stereotypes, and misandrists(?) who just want to degrade men to further their agenda. Once again, I'm sorry and thank you for educating me.

However, I will still stand by the term feminazi. A feminazi, to me, is a person (male, female, dragonkin, etc) who want men to give up their: rights, money, or even their life so women have better rights. One gender should not have to sacrifice for the equality of the other -- this goes both ways.

Why don't you just tag me in nearly every sentence in your post? I'm a little-big boy, and I can handle being called out on being naive.

@Mishelle read this. Also, you seemed to have missed the part where I said that girl I linked doesn't represent the feminist movement. Talk about hyper focusing.

#307 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

@Mishelle read this. Also, you seemed to have missed the part where I said that girl I linked doesn't represent the feminist movement. Talk about hyper focusing.

You said she seems like the face of modern feminism but that doesn't even make any sense unless you really want to generalize for no logical reason and have no idea what feminism is.

Edited by Mishelle, 14 May 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#308 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

It's not all about you. Lmao.

If I had a personal problem with you I'd PM you. We've talked privately before about predominant issues.
This is a call out on all misinformed people, if it was just you I would of privately addressed it.
We have a very good rapport and I don't need to publicly shame someone that I care about; this was not just you.

#309 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Sigh.

I explained my blunder here 

#310 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

Idk why you want to make this about man hating women so bad when the grand majority of feminists don't give a damn about men. We just want equality. And the term feminazi is offensive as hell. Like are you really gonna equate someone using a #KillAllMen to a mass genocide of millions of people?

Edited by Mishelle, 14 May 2016 - 10:25 AM.

#311 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:28 AM

@Padme - Sorry it just seemed like an way to passively call me out on my idiocy because like 3-4 of those statements had a quote about what I've said.

@Mishelle

Did you even read what I quoted to you? I think I've clearly stated that I was mistakenly grouping all people who claim to be feminists together. There are MISANDRISTS (which @Padme pointed out to me), and then there are Feminists. I'm clearly not grouping them together anymore.

mis·an·dry
miˈsandrē/
noun

1. dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men (i.e., the male sex).
    "her brand of feminism is just poorly disguised misandry"

Yes I'm referring to man hating misandrists ( I still don't even know if that's a word..smh), by using the definition. 

#KillAllMen is the same thing as #KillAllJews #KillAllGypsies #KillEveryoneThatIsntBlondeHairBlueEyed. So yes, #KillAllMen which would be a mass genocide of BILLIONS of people is the same thing. I don't get what arbitrary point you're trying to make.

#312 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

I have no idea why you're talking to me. I'm minding my own business.

#313 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:32 AM

I have no idea why you're talking to me. I'm minding my own business.

I quickly realized my mistake lol.

#314 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:36 AM

@Padme - Sorry it just seemed like an way to passively call me out on my idiocy because like 3-4 of those statements had a quote about what I've said.

@Mishelle

Did you even read what I quoted to you? I think I've clearly stated that I was mistakenly grouping all people who claim to be feminists together. There are MISANDRISTS (which @Padme pointed out to me), and then there are Feminists. I'm clearly not grouping them together anymore.

mis·an·dry
miˈsandrē/
noun

1. dislike of, contempt for, or ingrained prejudice against men (i.e., the male sex).
    "her brand of feminism is just poorly disguised misandry"

Yes I'm referring to man hating misandrists ( I still don't even know if that's a word..smh), by using the definition. 

#KillAllMen is the same thing as #KillAllJews #KillAllGypsies #KillEveryoneThatIsntBlondeHairBlueEyed. So yes, #KillAllMen which would be a mass genocide of BILLIONS of people is the same thing. I don't get what arbitrary point you're trying to make.

Lmao ok how is that misandry movement going? How have the evil feminazis taken away your rights as a man or killed men because I can explain to you a myriad of ways that patriarchy kills women every fucking day. It's just ridiculous that you're trying to make this into an issue. Please give me a list of all these powerful women who have created institutions to oppress men? I wanna know where they are.

receipts.gif

Edited by Mishelle, 14 May 2016 - 10:47 AM.

#315 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:48 AM

Lmao ok how is that misandry movement going? How have the evil feminazis taken away your rights as a man or killed men because I can explain to you a myriad of ways that patriarchy kills women every fucking day. It's just ridiculous that you're trying to make this into an issue. Please give me a list of all these powerful women who have created institutions to oppress men? I wanna know where they are.

What exactly am I making into an issue? That there are feminists, and then there's a completely separate group of misandrists? Feminists want equality, plain and simple. Misandrists hate men, and would rather see us struggle. There are very clear night and day differences. I've never discredited the way women are treated on a daily basis. I think you're putting words into my mouth, or in this case into my post. Throughout history, women have been raped as spoils of war. Women have been married off to bare children for someone they don't love to build relationships. There are no prominent figures of misandry, because it's all an improbable farce that will never gain any serious ground. I've seen some fuckwits on the holy grail of idiocy (Tumblr) who say they believe in circumcision as a way of controlling men, and preventing rape. I'm not afraid of anything, I'm merely pointing out that they do exist.

Wait I found something! 

http://www.vice.com/...ll-our-problems

All I'm saying is that they are out there.

#316 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

What exactly am I making into an issue? That there are feminists, and then there's a completely separate group of misandrists? Feminists want equality, plain and simple. Misandrists hate men, and would rather see us struggle. There are very clear night and day differences. I've never discredited the way women are treated on a daily basis. I think you're putting words into my mouth, or in this case into my post. Throughout history, women have been raped as spoils of war. Women have been married off to bare children for someone they don't love to build relationships. There are no prominent figures of misandry, because it's all an improbable farce that will never gain any serious ground. I've seen some fuckwits on the holy grail of idiocy (Tumblr) who say they believe in circumcision as a way of controlling men, and preventing rape. I'm not afraid of anything, I'm merely pointing out that they do exist.

You claimed that #KillAllMen is the same as saying #KillAllGypsies and #KillAllJews when it's not the same because these are actual people who have actually suffered genocide as a result of institutional oppression. So what I wanna know, is when has that ever happened to men at the hand of these ~feminazis~?

Edited by Mishelle, 14 May 2016 - 10:53 AM.

#317 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

@Adam you should look up the history of the word feminazi. I think that's the issue here, but I could be wrong.

The word was originally used by Rush Limbaugh, iirc, and he claimed it was to describe a woman who had lots of abortions. But he, and several others, namely on the religious right, used it to describe any feminist. So, it's kind of like the word slut, or n*, or faggot (using these words educationally, please don't be mad @mods). The word slut has a long history of being used to describe any woman who has sex, in order to disparage her, just like the other words are historically used derogatorily against someone who is black or gay. The word feminazi has never meant a woman who hates men, or who wants to hurt/kill them. It has historically always been a way to insult and belittle anyone, but primarily women, who is any type of feminist. Even if you don't mean to use it that way, or even if you think it means something else, or it means something else to you specifically, it is offensive, because that's the weight the word carries with social connotations.

#318 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

You claimed that #KillAllMen is the same as saying #KillAllGypsies and #KillAllJews when it's not the same because these are actual people who have actually suffered genocide as a result of institutional oppression. So what I wanna know, is when has that ever happened to men at the hand of these ~feminazis~?

I'm talking sheer numbers. You brought up #KillAllMen, and asked if it's the same as #KillAllJews, etc. My answer to that is, yes. If you want to systematically kill the whole population of one group of people, why would it be any different? It hasn't happened, and never will happen.

@Adam you should look up the history of the word feminazi. I think that's the issue here, but I could be wrong.

The word was originally used by Rush Limbaugh, iirc, and he claimed it was to describe a woman who had lots of abortions. But he, and several others, namely on the religious right, used it to describe any feminist. So, it's kind of like the word slut, or nigger, or faggot (using these words educationally, please don't be mad @mods). The word slut has a long history of being used to describe any woman who has sex, in order to disparage her, just like the other words are historically used derogatorily against someone who is black or gay. The word feminazi has never meant a woman who hates men, or who wants to hurt/kill them. It has historically always been a way to insult and belittle anyone, but primarily women, who is any type of feminist. Even if you don't mean to use it that way, or even if you think it means something else, or it means something else to you specifically, it is offensive, because that's the weight the word carries with social connotations. 

I didn't know the history behind the word, thank you. I've been using it as a term for the misandrists of today. I'm using the term feminazi to describe radical feminists, nothing more.

#319 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

I'm talking sheer numbers. You brought up #KillAllMen, and asked if it's the same as #KillAllJews, etc. My answer to that is, yes. If you want to systematically kill the whole population of one group of, why would it be any different? It hasn't happened, and never will happen.

I didn't know the history behind the word, thank you. I've been using it as a term for the misandrists of today. I'm using the term feminazi to describe radical feminists, nothing more.

I understand how you've been using it and what you specifically are referencing when you say it. I just wanted to explain why lots of women are offended (and justified in their offense, in my opinion) by the term feminazi. The history of the word has always carried a negative connotation, and it's almost exclusively used to insult women who are just feminists, not radical by any means. Misandrist (it's a word :p) is a much better term to describe a person who hates men and wants to hurt them. 

Mmkay. That's my two cents.

*poofs*

#320 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

I'm talking sheer numbers. You brought up #KillAllMen, and asked if it's the same as #KillAllJews, etc. My answer to that is, yes. If you want to systematically kill the whole population of one group of, why would it be any different? It hasn't happened, and never will happen.

No that's not what I said. I said that a hashtag is not the same as ACTUAL GENOCIDE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT HAS HAPPENED. Equating women who shit talk men online to people who systemically killed millions of people is over the top, wrong, and offensive.

#321 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

I understand how you've been using it and what you specifically are referencing when you say it. I just wanted to explain why lots of women are offended (and justified in their offense, in my opinion) by the term feminazi. The history of the word has always carried a negative connotation, and it's almost exclusively used to insult women who are just feminists, not radical by any means. Misandrist (it's a word :p) is a much better term to describe a person who hates men and wants to hurt them. 

Mmkay. That's my two cents.

*poofs*

Thank you once again. That's the 3rd thing I've learned today, and i'll stop using the word out of disgust for what it means to everyone else, and not the way I've been using it.

No that's not what I said. I said that a hashtag is not the same as ACTUAL GENOCIDE OF MILLIONS OF PEOPLE THAT HAS HAPPENED. Equating women who shit talk men online to people who systemically killed millions of people is over the top, wrong, and offensive.

I took the point you were trying to make too literally with the whole hashtag thing, and not as historical fact.

#322 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:11 AM

I'm just really over people equating everything they don't like to nazis or Hitler. It's lame.

#323 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 11:13 AM

I'm just really over people equating everything they don't like to nazis or Hitler. It's lame.

Okay I'm back but just to say: Godwin's law.

And yes. It's lame.

#324 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

How adorable.

There is feminism.

Feminism IS equality.

hey dont know where you got the notion that i dont stand for equality??

and theres no need to abuse or lash out at me and call me a moron lol

call me misinformed, please, because i am. maybe you can educate me as well about the whole movement. but please, dont you DARE call me names. that i will not tolerate.

clearly with my lack of knowledge about terms, when i say "modern day feminism" and give a description about it i DO NOT mean 'feminism', i mean 'misandry'.

i thought with all this knowledge you posses you would be able to tell the difference between something so simple :)

PS. in relation to your very last sentence.. in case you cant read properly, i never tried to reinforce anything on anyone. perhaps reading in big letters will help you

@Adam basically summarised everything i wanted to say

anyways this is a never ending topic

adios amigos

Edited by cute, 14 May 2016 - 02:08 PM.

#325 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

Feminism. A single word brings up much debate, heated discussion and for some, is one of their main ideologies and how they self-identify. But what is feminism, what is a feminist and how do the actions of feminists and feminism affect the way we live our lives? Now, I have purposely made the question open ended and vague for two reasons; one being that such a complex and diverse issue isn't easy to summarise and two, it's up to each individual to make their own assertions on the topic at hand. Now let's begin.

Disclaimer: The vast majority of this opening post will be a mixture of sources/evidence found online due to the fact that 99% of people will not go out and purchase books purely for this conversation alone. Also, the vast majority of references will be about Western cultures/incidents/people etc., mainly concentrated on the UK and USA. If my theories/ideas or evidence don't match up or back up claims to other cultures/countries, well fuck you for being inferior to the grand British Empire. Rule Britannia.

WHAT IS FEMINISM?

Feminism is a range of political movementsideologies, and social movements that share a common goal: to define, establish, and achieve equal political, economic, personal, and social rights for women. This includes seeking to establish equal opportunities for women in education and employment. Feminists typically advocate or support the rights and equality of women. (Cheers Wikipedia)

Right, so basically a feminist believes that a woman is equal to a man in forms of equality, pay, rights, treatment and sports (ha-ha just kidding, women can’t compete in sports!). Which is a fair enough point and I would find it many to disagree with. Here’s a link to highlight that the majority of people believe women are equal to men, or should be:

http://www.debate.or...-women-be-equal

I couldn’t find many more, but I think from anecdotal experience and common sense, the vast majority of people believe women are, or should be, equal to men.

Which means everyone’s a feminist and feminism is a force for good right? WRONG.

To exemplify why my opinion for feminism being a force for good is an incorrect statement, we have to delve into the history of feminism and women/gender rights.

Now let’s take a trip back to memory lane:

THE SUFFRAGE MOVEMENT

Now I will be summarising the suffrage/suffragette movement to save time and because it’s not entirely important to list all the details. What is important is the reason and impact the suffrage movement had on women’s right.

The main purpose of the suffrage movement was to gain the right for women in the UK and US to vote. The most basic of human rights, the ability to cast a vote and influence your country’s rulers/leaders is parallel to none (bar the right to life/not being tortured in my opinion), which shows that pre 19th Century, women were about as equal to men as a handjob is to a blowjob (no-one likes handjobs, just use your mouth).

Now, many suffragettes were imprisoned, fined and even beaten purely for protesting the right to vote and be treated as equals, some even died (Emily Davidson famously ran onto a race track and was trampled to death underneath the King’s Horse).

Sources: http://mashable.com/...n/#qwBl85.OPkqx

Source: https://en.wikipedia...k_Friday_(1910)

Source: http://www.theguardi...-strike-protest

But, with much bravado and enthusiasm, women were given the right to vote in 1918. Well, women over 30. This was lowered to 21 for men and women in 1928 which was then lowered to 18 in 1969.

Source: http://assets.parlia...n_and_the_vote# (trust me, it’s a pretty nifty source, have a gander).

So all’s well that ends well right? Wrong again, women and men weren’t equal so feminism had to evolved, adapt and fight again for equality. This meant that feminism is a force for good right? I mean, they’re fighting for equality?

But here’s the kicker, we’re talking about modern day feminism, so let’s go forward in time again.

FIRST WAVE FEMINISM

Now first wave feminism overlaps the suffragette movement, as first wave feminism was a political ideology that ranged from the late 19th to the early 20th Century. Whilst the suffragette movement focused mainly on the right to vote for women, there were many different movements, ideas and incidents aimed at further gender equality.

Some examples include The Married Woman Property Association set up in Sweden in 1873 which effectively abolished coverture in Sweden. (Coverture is the legal concept that upon marriage, all decisions were made by the husband. Essentially women were property).

Source: http://www.ub.edu/ti...rlsson 5thS.pdf

Virginia Woolfe wrote A room of one’s own in 1929 which was based around the advancement of women in literature and independence. Virginia Woolfe is regarded as a prominent feminist

Source: I went to fucking school

The Married Women’s Property Act 1860 was introduced that gave women more power into their financial and economic status as well as giving them more power in regards to their children’s health, wills etc. Many other acts were introduced in both the UK and USA.

Source: http://herstoria.com/?p=473

But, women still obviously had to fight for better pay, conditions and socio-economic affects to bring them up to par with men, which leads to..

SECOND WAVE FEMINISM

Second wave feminism moved on from suffrage and voting rights and focused more on societal effects on women and how society views gender equalities. These include sexuality, family, the workplace, reproductive rights, de facto inequalities, and official legal inequalities.

Source: http://www.britannic...womens-movement

Multiple examples of women’s protests, movements and challenges to societal treatment and views of women are evident. Let’s take a look:

In 1961, the Presidential Commission on the status of women found that women faced inequality in all aspects of life

Source: http://www.uic.edu/o...t/timeline.html

This lead to many various incidents across Western societies in hopes of achieving equality between the sexes. These include the introduction of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EECC) which allowed people to complain directly the government about inequality in the workplace and recorded over 50,000 complaints in its first years.

Source: http://www.iq-tests....system-910.html (don’t ask, it’s right at the very end)

https://www.eeoc.gov/

Also, abortion was made legal in the UK for women (under certain circumstances). Unfortunately, N.I still only allows women to have abortions if the birth could harm them, in the incidents of rape/incest, or severe medical issues for the foetus (down’s syndrome, heroin withdrawal, MS etc.)

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...line/1960.shtml

In 1966, the National Organisation of Women (NOW) was set up. It’s aims were to establish further equality via protests, marches and demonstrations across the country to influence legislations to help gender equality. It is now the largest women’s union in the US.

Source: http://now.org/about/

The equal pay act 1970 was introduced and implemented in 1975, making it illegal to pay less or more to an individual based on their gender.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk...line/1960.shtml (same source, but it’s BBC and interactive. Sue me)

In 1978 the Pregnancy Discrimination Act was introduced to ensure that women cannot be discriminated against for being pregnant.

Source: https://www.eeoc.gov...s/pregnancy.cfm

Plus, there’s a whole load of shit that happened that was probably important at the time, but I can’t be arsed to mention here. Basically, important shit happened was necessary to set up the building blocks for where we are today.

Now on to…

THIRD WAVE FEMINISM (oh for fuck sake, so many fucking waves. It’s like a shitty version of Bloons)

Third wave feminism  broadened its goals, focusing on ideas like queer theory, and abolishing gender role expectations and stereotypes.[5] Unlike the determined position of second wave feminists about women in pornography, sex work, and prostitution. Thanks Wikipedia.  

Third wave feminism was once of the most recent waves to affect gender equality up until around 2010 before “fourth wave feminism” hit. (This part is my own opinion). It focused mainly on reproductive rights, sexuality and gender roles whilst challenging the political infrastructure of both the UK and US political establishments.

A few key movements/incidents include:

Marital rape was outlawed by the CJPO Act 1994. Just because she’s married to you, doesn’t mean you can always stick your ding dong in her.

Source: http://www.legislati...ontents/enacted

The March for Women’s right in 2004 was held to highlight the inequality in regards to abortions, child care and child welfare resulting in over hundreds of thousands of protesters marching upon Washington DC

Source: https://www.guttmach...ch-womens-lives

The Gender Equality Act was introduced in 2006 meaning all statutory bodies (I.E any state organisations such as the police, government, NHS, councils etc.) had to treat all people with equality and made special provisions to ensure that protected characteristics (such as gender, age, race, nationality, disabilities etc.) were not discriminated against.

Source: http://www.legislati...uk/ukpga/2006/3

In 1998, the Vagina Monologues was set up by Eve Ensler that has so far raised over 75$ million for anti-violence groups, as well as pushing violence against women into the forefront of the national attention, even if it was short lived.

Source: http://qsanantonio.com/vday2.html

Now up until this point, up until around 2005-2010, I would have argued that yes, feminism is a force for good, but wait, what’s that around the corner? It’s…

FOURTH WAVE FEMINISM

The fourth wave of feminism is a recent development within the feminist movement. Jennifer Baumgardner identifies fourth-wave feminism as starting in 2008 and continuing into the present day. Kira Cochrane, author of All the Rebel Women: The Rise of the Fourth Wave of Feminism defines fourth wave feminism as a movement that is connected through technology. Researcher, Diana Diamond, defines fourth wave feminism as a movement that "combines politicspsychology, and spirituality an overarching vision of change."  Thank you Wikipedia for allowing me to be such a lazy bastard.

Now some feminist bird on the fourth wave feminism Wikipedia page states that is began in 2008 and is iconic for its use of technology in its aims of gender equality.

Now here’s my main crux of the argument, I will be posting multiple incidents and examples of what feminism has devolved into, which an overall summarisation at the end. If anyone can provide legitimate examples that are iconic and prove that feminism is still a force for good, I would appreciate it. Unfortunately, I cannot find any (I’m talking about massive examples, like Roe v Wade etc., not smaller and less important examples).

https://www.youtube....h?v=YU3vcvGpALQ

“You’re a fucking white male”

Skip to 04:00 minutes in. To summarise, anti-Trump protesters devolve the feminism argument into regarding Caucasian and male opinions on matters as wrong. Ironically there’s actually a few good points made, but to back it up with an inherently racist and sexist argument is stupid, but this is just one incident, right?

https://www.youtube....h?v=M2KPeMcYsuc

“Fat red-head feminist talks bullshit”

Evidence of a feminist rally pulling fire alarms in an attempt to shut down and silence a Men’s Right Association. So much for equality and free speech right?

“Ronda Rousey shuts down feminist”

MMA fighter Ronda Rousey counter-argues against a feminist who indicates that women’s soccer player’s in Australia are paid less than men. Ronda’s argument is simple: sports athletes get paid on how much revenue and income they help bring in. A further example of how feminists will push an agenda in regards to equality, yet can’t use cognitive thinking to establish said agenda.

https://www.youtube....h?v=MNK-e6nnFGY

“Suey Park uses racism and sexism to fight racism and sexism”

Another exemplification of how the modern day feminist movement resorts to divisive and ironic tactics of using racism and sexism against other people who critique her.

https://www.youtube....h?v=x64cy3Bcr98

Bill Maher on Feminism: “We're becoming a feminine society. Feelings are more important than facts. Sensitivity is more important than truth. Children are more important than people. Commitment is more important than individuality. And safety is more important than fun. Women say that's good because married men live longer. Well yeah, but so does an indoor cat.”

Quite an interesting look on how feminism has helped change the cultural values of America for the worse. This is shining example of how priorities and goals of the feminist movement has essentially devolved into an overtly sensitive society instead of focusing on the empowerment of women. It now focuses on bringing down men instead of raising the standards of women.

https://www.youtube....h?v=VCaEO6ue_io

“Based god rejects feminist ideals”

Milo Yiannopoulos rejects the notions of the feminist argument that purely rejects the biological and chemical differences between the genders.

MANSPLAINING

Mansplaining is a portmanteau of the words man and explaining, defined as "to explain something to someone, typically a man to woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing. Lily Rothman of The Atlantic defines it as "explaining without regard to the fact that the explainee knows more than the explainer, often done by a man to a woman, and author and essayist Rebecca Solnit ascribes the phenomenon to a combination of "overconfidence and cluelessness."

The very sexist notion that when a man explains something to a female counterpart, it’s believed to be condescending and patronising. A focus for the modern day feminist that men are constantly belittling women based purely on their sex. The very idea that if a man explains something he is inherently wrong or sexist himself, is ironically sexist. Feminists who use this term tend to be of little substance and cannot use their own cognitive thought process to come up with compelling arguments. They are usually inherently sexist/racist themselves, so should be disregarded in terms of any form of discussion or argument (personally I believe they should be disregarded as human beings, but that’s another story).

Author Cathy Young called it "a pejorative term for supposedly obtuse and arrogant male arguments on gender, apparently now also applied to female dissent."

Source: http://reason.com/ar...patriarchy-dead

https://www.youtube....h?v=ZOXh5repOWI

Senator Mitch Fifield counters argument of women who uses term mansplaining by pointing out that it’s a double standard.

“Imagine if someone used the term womansplaining”…. Now, imagine if someone used the term “blacksplaining” in which a black individual talks down to a white person. Or use any other form of protected characteristics.

Manspreading

The idea that men intentionally sit on public transport with legs apart in attempts to take up more than one space. The very idea that feminism has adopted this as a “fight against the patriarchy” is laughable at best. An inherently sexist idea that only men take up more than one space and the disregard to basic human biology. Men have testicles (Source: my skid-marked underwear) which occasionally are crushed by men’s own legs and sometimes they stick to your upper (or lower ;) ) thigh. But biology doesn’t matter in this regard because all that matters is “muh feelings” and a general anti-male prerogative.

“The criticism and campaigns against manspreading have been counter-criticized for not addressing similar behaviour by women, such as taking up adjacent seats with bags, or "she-bagging". The controversy surrounding manspreading has been described by libertarian Cathy Young as "pseudo feminism—preoccupied with male misbehaviour, no matter how trivial".

Source: http://www.newsday.c...young-1.9776186

The Canadian Association for Equality (CAFE), a Canadian men's rights group, has been critical of campaigns against manspreading by transit authorities. The CAFE has argued that it is "physically painful for men to close their legs" and that campaigns against manspreading is comparable to "[forcing] women to stop breast feeding on busses (sic) or trains".

Source: http://www.theatlant...ng-sexy/475728/

Shutting down free speech

https://www.youtube....h?v=iARHCxAMAO0

“Double mutherfucking standards”

Feminist movement attempts to shut down a MRA meeting by physically assaulting audience members and blocking their freedom of movement. Shouting sexual and gender slurs at people queuing to get in.

If there’s one video out of all the one’s I’ve posted, this is the one to watch. It really, really angers me that men who wanted ‘to see a prominent Men’s Right Activist in regards to suicide and why it’s the biggest killer of men under 50 were subjected to abuse and stigmatised by feminists. Equality aye?

SIDESWIPE

This part you can probably ignore if you’re susceptible to confirmation bias. It’s basically a long list of video’s that critique feminists and the feminist movement. All have valid points, but they are long and only back up what I’ve said (or vice versa).

https://www.youtube....h?v=3bv6wRRqWZw

Laci Green doesn’t understand feminism

https://www.youtube....h?v=91Hc0lrbsO0

Male feminists don’t understand feminism.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UtAByXu_U-I

Onision doesn’t understand feminism

https://www.youtube....yEj4eN&index=14

Laci Green doesn’t understand Marketing

BONUS VIDEO

https://www.youtube....h?v=ifH998pT7pU

Black Lives Matter (Nothing to do with feminism, but BLM is a load of bullshit as well.)

https://www.youtube....pAfrnyX&index=2

Ghostbusters most disliked video on youtube

https://www.youtube....pAfrnyX&index=9

Teaching babies not to rape.

https://www.youtube....AfrnyX&index=19

Sexual objectification.

https://www.youtube....h?v=l9Ju-1I1DTU

Anita Sarkeeshian (sp) destroyed.

https://www.youtube....h?v=PD1bAz07SsY

Feminist attacks prolife protester

Myths and Legends/Counter arguments

1.     WOMEN ONLY GET PAID 77% THE SAME AS MEN

Ok, this is one of the most common argument for the necessity for feminism and gender equality. Except it’s based on misinformation and manipulation. How so? Let’s see

https://www.youtube....h?v=3TR_YuDFIFI

“The top five feminist myths”

Christina Sommers accurately represents all that statistical errors and manipulation of the “pay gap”

http://www.aauw.org/.../2013/02/gra...
http://ec.europa.eu/...ce/gender-eq...
http://www.bls.gov/o...ed/2008/jun/...
http://www.bls.gov/o...ed/2006/oct/...
http://www.consad.co...tent/reports...

Various documentation proving that men, on average do not get paid more than women.

Let’s summarise this point nice and easily shall we. A study was conducted in the USA in the 1970s which added up all the money earned by women that year, and all the money earned by men that year as well. This equated that men made approximately 23% more money than women. (Source: Couldn’t find that particular study, but there have been many, many, many, many since).

This study did not take into account the following circumstances:

Men generally work longer than women. This is still true today. Source: http://www.bls.gov/n...se/atus.nr0.htm

Men generally work more overtime. Source: http://www.ons.gov.u...visionalresults

Men are generally (up until recent years) more educated than women. Source: http://inequality.st...er_research.pdf

Men do more dangerous jobs. (Warren Farrell, 2005. It’s a book, go buy it I guess).

Men are more willing to negotiate pay. Source (s): http://www.womendontask.com/stats.html

http://www.washingto...2900827_pf.html

http://chronicle.com...-if-they-do/181

Men are more awesome. Source: Me

Men don’t take as much child leave as women. Source (Pretty much every fucking source for this is a book. There’s sources out there, I just CBA to find them at this time)

And so forth.

TL:DR, Men generally work longer, negotiate salaries, work in either dangerous or more academically/physically difficult jobs and don’t take off as much time for the kids. Men earn more, but get paid the same. That’s the key difference. It is illegal in both the US and UK to pay women less than men based on sex, and has been for almost 50 years. Source: http://www.legislati...19700041_en.pdf and https://en.wikipedia...Pay_Act_of_1963

2.     WOMEN ARE MORE LIKELY TO BE VICTIMS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

This is actually a true point, but it’s overinflated and used by the Feminist movement to shut down any mention of violence against men. Let’s have a look at the stats

1 in 4 women will be affected, 1 in 6 men. Source: http://www.lwa.org.u.../statistics.htm

More than 40% of men are victims of domestic abuse. Source: http://www.theguardi...mestic-violence

Men and women suffer Inter-partner violence (IPV) at roughly the same amount as women. Women slightly more. Source: http://pubpages.unh....olence-Book.pdf

But it’s in self-defence most of the time? Wrong. Only about 20% for women. Source: http://www.batteredm...om/carrgeo1.htm

TLDR: Yes, it’s actually at true point, but is minimised by the amount that men suffer from domestic violence.
40-70% of domestic violence is against men however less than 1% of domestic violence shelter spaces are for men. Source: http://www.realsexism.com/

3.      BUT THOSE WOMEN/MEN ARE REAL FEMINISTS, THEY’VE DILUTED WHAT FEMINISM ACTUALLY MEANS.

Cannot be bothered to source this once since it’s mainly opinion based. Sue me.

As stated before, someone who believes the in equality of men and women on all social, sexual and financial standards are regarded as feminists. That means if you believe in that statement you are a feminist. Kinda.

That means for every negative feminist attack, physical altercation, censorship, disregard and blatant disregard for other people is still a feminist ideal and a feminist is the one who carries it out. Those who disassociate radical feminists from feminism and say they are not feminists are wrong, and this argument makes it impossible to truly understand their motives and objectives. However, the other side, which argues that all feminists share these motives and objectives, are also wrong. The real answer lies somewhere in the middle.

4.      I’m not going to lie; I really cannot be bothered to find more counter arguments at this stage. I’ve spent more time on this than my actual degree.

Bonus round.

Feminism focuses on the equality of sexes on economic, social and sexual standings, but modern day feminism doesn’t focus anywhere near the time and energy it does on men. It is almost purely female dominated and does nothing to address issues that affect men more than women. When MRAs are set up to address this, they are torn down and ridiculed as misogynistic

Men are 97% of combat fatalities: http://www.avoicefor...t-men-and-boys/

Men pay 97% of child welfare: http://www.wsj.com/a...505700448957522

Men lose 84% of child custody cases: http://www.avoicefor...t-men-and-boys/

Suicide is 80% men: http://www.avoicefor...t-men-and-boys/.

Men make up 77% of murder victims:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/1635092

Men are 165% more likely to face a custodial sentence than women (pussy pass): http://permutationof...it-probably-has

Women’s cancer charities receive 16 times more funding than men: http://mjperry.blogs...gender-gap.html

Men are twice as likely to be assaulted or victimised by a stranger: http://www.bjs.gov/c...df/vvcs9310.pdf

Now, it would be quite nice if feminist movements concentrated a little bit of some equalities that affect mainly men. It would be nice to be included in a fight for equality, but the current feminist movement does its best to disregard ol’ Mr White male, doesn’t it? Surely an equality movement will need all the help and support it can get, especially from those who are directly affect by inequality?

I won’t mention the whole Western bias ideal in which feminist movements focus purely on Western ideals. The feminist movement has basically forgotten it’s middle eastern, Asian and African sisters (and men) and focuses on manspreading and mansplaining instead of epidemic rape crises in the Sudan or female genital mutilation in Nigeria and Gambia. But I’ll admit, as I’ve purposely focused on Western incidents and movements, I will let that slide. A different story for a different time.

SUMMARY

Ok, I’ve missed out quite a lot of information that could be used against my argument, and even that could be used for my argument. There is simply too much information out there to include it all.

I will summarise my point quite nicely though. Feminism was a force for good when women focused on essential rights like the right to vote, to be treated as individual and to receive the same benefits as a man, but unfortunately this has changed in the modern day sense. Feminists are more likely to use the argument of sexism and racism against opponents in an ironic twist of fate for equality purposes. They will focus more on banal ideas like mansplaining and supermodels in bikinis than, objectively, more important ideals.

There are some positives from the current feminist movement, the constant battle for sexual identification and health (Birth control, abortion, prostitution and porn etc.), but in my eyes these are overlooked by systematic racial and sexual discrimination.

TL: DR feminism was good, now bad. Grr bad feminists.

DISCLAIMER:

Again, this is a mixture of source based information and my own opinion, I am trusting you people to be smart enough to decipher which is which.

All the source has some form of critique. Smaller participant rate, bias etc., this is obvious in all forms of studies. Don’t point this out, it’s essentially a moot point.

If you make a claim and cannot back it up with a source, I will send you a picture of my penis. If this doesn’t scare you, I will constantly send you pictures of kittens being stamped on until you apologise. Don’t dirty my thread up.

For obvious reasons I have only linked the youtube videos and hope they don’t pre-load for the sake of people’s computers.

Done. Seriously. That’s the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users