• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:40 AM

I've been trying to be more aware of these sorts of things in shows and trying to find what to avoid and/or work with watching.Even just recently I've noticed that the show 30 Rock has a lot of references to rape, and jokes about it. What other shows are there out there that I may need to watch out for?

#2 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

I've never really watched TV. A few years ago, I decided to try to get into it. (Long story short, I thought I'd have more to talk about with people) Anyway, I was just shocked and appalled at some of the stuff shown on TV. So I'm sitting there sometimes horrified, sometimes crying, and I decided it just wasn't worth it. I watch the presidential addresses and some documentaries and stuff, but I can't stand most of it.

#3 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

To be honest, I'm more surprised these days when a comedy show that isn't aimed at kids doesn't have rape jokes at some point or another. It seems like comedy's swung towards relying on being edgy as possible (instead of actual, y'know, humor) and I can't wait for that to stop. 

#4 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Try PBS.

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

I have no idea. TV humor here is very restricted, and people get really in trouble if they joke about something like that.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:59 AM

Try PBS.

Or Vatican TV.

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

I know this topic is about TV shows, but I'd like to branch off a little bit and say how I'm also disgusted at a good portion of main stream music these days. Society has gone so far in degrading women -- there's a general idea out there that women aren't good for anything more than a sex object, and music and TV shows take full advantage of the stigma in order to boost their sales. I was introduced to a song called Work (Remix) by A$AP Ferg, and one of the lines in the song is "All big titties lift your shirt, show a player what you're worth". Why is a woman's "worth" dependent on the size of her breasts? TV shows throw out the word "bitch" all the time now, when did this become okay? Disgusting

#8 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:17 AM

I know this topic is about TV shows, but I'd like to branch off a little bit and say how I'm also disgusted at a good portion of main stream music these days. Society has gone so far in degrading women -- there's a general idea out there that women aren't good for anything more than a sex object, and music and TV shows take full advantage of the stigma in order to boost their sales. I was introduced to a song called Work (Remix) by A$AP Ferg, and one of the lines in the song is "All big titties lift your shirt, show a player what you're worth". Why is a woman's "worth" dependent on the size of her breasts? TV shows throw out the word "bitch" all the time now, when did this become okay? Disgusting

Man, that kind of thing's been happening since...well, since I was old enough to be aware of that kind of thing, and probably before that too. It's awful and depressing, but not new, unfortunately. :/

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

I know this topic is about TV shows, but I'd like to branch off a little bit and say how I'm also disgusted at a good portion of main stream music these days. Society has gone so far in degrading women -- there's a general idea out there that women aren't good for anything more than a sex object, and music and TV shows take full advantage of the stigma in order to boost their sales. I was introduced to a song called Work (Remix) by A$AP Ferg, and one of the lines in the song is "All big titties lift your shirt, show a player what you're worth". Why is a woman's "worth" dependent on the size of her breasts? TV shows throw out the word "bitch" all the time now, when did this become okay? Disgusting

Welcome to 99.9999999% of rap music.

#10 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Maybe you need to see a therapist if you're too sensitive to handle warching television.

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Try PBS.

This is basically the only thing I will watch.

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:46 AM

Tumblr is my trigger.

#13 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:56 AM

This is basically the only thing I will watch.

I end up watching a lot of old cartoons on Netflix and Food Network.

#14 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:17 PM

Triggers are basically something that brings back a memory or make you feel anxious? Couldn't everything be a trigger? What necessarily classifies something as a trigger?

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:57 PM

Triggers are basically something that brings back a memory or make you feel anxious? Couldn't everything be a trigger? What necessarily classifies something as a trigger?

If a person was raped and now suffers from PTSD they may have a flashback or want to harm themselves when they see graphic depictions of rape or tv or read about them. This person may want to avoid reading and watching things that have rape in them so they don't trigger the flashbacks. A trigger warning is basically a heads up for people who are trying to avoid distressing material.

#16 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:30 PM

Technically yes! People do sometimes have very specialized and personal triggers, but I think the OP means the common ones--depictions of rape, abuse, incest, extreme violence, the like. The big, serious things that probably turn the stomachs of many people who aren't actually triggered by it.

#17 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

Then they should seek immediate professional help if they can't cope with the basic realities of life.

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

Or turn the TV off.

#19 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:24 AM

Trigger warnings aren't just for ~people who can't cope with life. It's really time to stigmatizing mental illness. 

#20 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

Trigger warnings aren't just for ~people who can't cope with life. It's really time to stigmatizing mental illness. 

I think you accidentally a word.

Did you mean "It's really time to start stigmatizing mental illness"? 

#21 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 10:40 AM

Anytime I read about anything SJW related

#22 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:05 AM

Then they should seek immediate professional help if they can't cope with the basic realities of life.

I think it's a little ridiculous to call jokes about traumatic events part of "the basic realities of life".

#23 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

They might already be receiving professional help though, or they might not be able to get it at all. Besides, getting help for this sorta thing doesn't instantly make you alright with the sorta shit you're uncomfortable with :x If someone doesn't want to watch something they don't like they shouldn't be forced to "just because everyone else is okay with it"

#24 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:42 AM

They might already be receiving professional help though, or they might not be able to get it at all. Besides, getting help for this sorta thing doesn't instantly make you alright with the sorta shit you're uncomfortable with :x If someone doesn't want to watch something they don't like they shouldn't be forced to "just because everyone else is okay with it"

Nobody is forcing you to watch anything! The power is always in the consumer's hands, you can always turn it off or stop watching when something "triggers" or upsets you.

#25 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

I think it's a little ridiculous to call jokes about traumatic events part of "the basic realities of life".

Yes, jokes aren't a part of every day life, no siree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users