• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#26 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Nobody is forcing you to watch anything! The power is always in the consumer's hands, you can always turn it off or stop watching when something "triggers" or upsets you.

Don't you think it'd be good to know beforehand though? It wouldn't negatively affect anything so there isn't really much of a reason to exclude something helpful like this. If I had, say, arachnophobia I certainly would appreciate a warning before the episode starts so I could prepare myself and know that spiders/etc are going to appear in this episode, or just change the channel or do something else.

#27 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Don't you think it'd be good to know beforehand though? It wouldn't negatively affect anything so there isn't really much of a reason to exclude something helpful like this. If I had, say, arachnophobia I certainly would appreciate a warning before the episode starts so I could prepare myself and know that spiders/etc are going to appear in this episode, or just change the channel or do something else.

That's pretty much it. No one is saying "no one should ever watch this ever," or anything like that. It's just good to have a warning if you're sensitive to certain things. I don't understand why people are making such a fuss over that.

#28 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:54 PM

You mean, like... movie, TV and game ratings?  :/

#29 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

You mean, like... movie, TV and game ratings?  :/

Exactly, but more specific.

#30 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

The problem is that anything can be a trigger. If we start warning viewers about potentially traumatizing content like rape or spiders, where do we draw the line? I don't want the shows I watch to be spoiled before they even start with a long list of trigger warnings, essentially giving away what happens in the episode.

#31 Riku

Riku
  • 72 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

I have arachnaphobia. Spiders on TV or in movies or video games don't bother me too much.

My friend was raped when she was 18. A casual rape joke, depending on how her day has gone, can send her into hysterics.

Yes, jokes aren't a part of every day life, no siree.

You conveniently left out the "traumatic events" bit.

Edited by Riku, 19 October 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#32 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

The problem is that anything can be a trigger. If we start warning viewers about potentially traumatizing content like rape or spiders, where do we draw the line? I don't want the shows I watch to be spoiled before they even start with a long list of trigger warnings, essentially giving away what happens in the episode.

...where is anyone asking for that? We're in a forum where you can use spoiler tags. An easy fix would be to say "plot spoilers for [show]" and put the content under a tag. If you have triggers, you can look; if not, you escape spoiler-free.

Edited by Batori, 19 October 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#33 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:36 PM

...where is anyone asking for that? We're in a forum where you can use spoiler tags. An easy fix would be to say "plot spoilers for [show]" and put the content under a tag. If you have triggers, you can look; if not, you escape spoiler-free.

Uh, what? I was under the impression that we were discussing the pros & cons of displaying trigger warnings on TV, before a show begins, so that viewers can be warned in advance that the show contains disturbing content...not using trigger warnings and spoiler tags when talking about shows on the forum.

#34 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

Uh, what? I was under the impression that we were discussing the pros & cons of displaying trigger warnings on TV, before a show begins, so that viewers can be warned in advance that the show contains disturbing content...not using trigger warnings and spoiler tags when talking about shows on the forum.

I had to check whether the OP had changed while I wasn't looking. No, not that I'm aware of? It clearly asks for information here, on this forum, with no mention of the wider world.

Edit: Ohh, are you talking about my "but more specific" comment? No no, I was saying that trigger warnings are similar to movie ratings, but with more specialized information. I wasn't saying one should replace the other. :)

Edited by Batori, 19 October 2014 - 01:48 PM.

#35 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

I had to check whether the OP had changed while I wasn't looking. No, not that I'm aware of? It clearly asks for information here, on this forum, with no mention of the wider world.

No, it clearly asks what shows have triggers, nothing about the forum.

#36 Batori

Batori
  • 265 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

No, it clearly asks what shows have triggers, nothing about the forum.

Yes, but I'm saying it's not advocating for anything beyond this forum. But I figured out where I was misunderstanding Trichomes' post, so it's all good.

#37 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Edit: Ohh, are you talking about my "but more specific" comment? No no, I was saying that trigger warnings are similar to movie ratings, but with more specialized information. I wasn't saying one should replace the other. :)

I really don't think we're on the same page.

I wasn't replying to the OP, or anything you said, and I understand what trigger warnings are. I was responding to the comment that Turnip made about trigger warnings on TV, which is why I quoted that particular post.

#38 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 02:04 PM

You conveniently left out the "traumatic events" bit.

Anything can be classified as a "traumatic event" which is why it's irrelevant and I left it out.

#39 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 October 2014 - 06:19 PM

Trigger warnings aren't just for ~people who can't cope with life. It's really time to stigmatizing mental illness. 

Seriously. It's getting bad enough of a rap. No need to add to it farther. It's not like the people with triggers enjoy avoiding things.

#40 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 19 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

This board is my trigger

#41 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 03:28 PM

Seriously. It's getting bad enough of a rap. No need to add to it farther. It's not like the people with triggers enjoy avoiding things.

Right? I couldn't imagine having to constantly keep track of everything I read and see. It's not like we put triggers on everything it's mostly common stuff that your average person doesn't even enjoy reading/seeing like rape, violence, incest, suicide and eating disorders. 

Edited by Mishelle, 20 October 2014 - 03:28 PM.

#42 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 04:25 PM

I don't enjoy seeing boybands and bad pop artists as it genuinely causes my physically and mental anguish. Should we ban them and any mention of them or should we only restrict/abolish free speech and human rights for the sake of the few?

Also a Funny video on the subject of political correctness and censorship.

#43 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

I don't enjoy seeing boybands and bad pop artists as it genuinely causes my physically and mental anguish. Should we ban them and any mention of them or should we only restrict/abolish free speech and human rights for the sake of the few?

Also a Funny video on the subject of political correctness and censorship.

I think we should just ban you from stating your stupid analogies.

Right? I couldn't imagine having to constantly keep track of everything I read and see. It's not like we put triggers on everything it's mostly common stuff that your average person doesn't even enjoy reading/seeing like rape, violence, incest, suicide and eating disorders. 

Shit, I still can't see eating disorders without wanting to compete with them again. It's why I stopped watching skins. I can't imagine what it's like for people with bad triggers that give them anxiety attacks.

#44 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:33 PM

Lol.

#45 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:36 PM

+1, comparing boybands to rape, come on Friz. 

#46 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

Woah now, being called stupid is my trigger. Why does your personal weakness trump mine? Are you that egotistical that only what offends you matters?

+1, comparing boybands to rape, come on Friz.

As above.

#47 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

Woah now, being called stupid is my trigger. Why does your personal weakness trump mine? Are you that egotistical that only what offends you matters?

As above.

I know it's close to Halloween but no need to be a strawman, 'kay.

#48 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

As above.

Stop pretending listening to a bad pop artist makes you feel as bad as a victim of rape feels. 

#49 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

Are you going to actually make a contribution or just throw out words at random?

Stop pretending listening to a bad pop artist makes you feel as bad as a victim of rape feels.

Subjectiveness is a tricky subject, I understand that some people don't fully understand the concept.

#50 DonValentino

DonValentino

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:46 PM

What contribution are you making besides being extremely distasteful?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users