Quantcast

Important!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:42 PM

Steam has begun charging for mods, while it's optional there is much theft of people's original work, steam gets 75% of the profits, people are over charging for what was once free.

It's bad enough to have to pay for DLC, and microtrancations in other games. Let's take a stand against this.

https://www.change.o...-steam-workshop

#2 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Good thing I don't care about mods in my games.

#3 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

I don't even play this game, but I signed. It's wrong for people to have to over charge for things that should be free just because a company wants 75% of the profit. If it was free, it should stay free.

Games should not go completely pay-to-win.

#4 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 04:48 PM

Good thing I don't care about mods in my games.

I don't entirely either but people are stealing other people's content and charging for it. Which is messed up.

I don't even play this game, but I signed. It's wrong for people to have to over charge for things that should be free just because a company wants 75% of the profit. If it was free, it should stay free.

Thanks for the support. I agree completely

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:03 PM

This isn't "pay-to-win" though. It's usually just cosmetic and graphic modifications or improvements.

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

This isn't "pay-to-win" though. It's usually just cosmetic and graphic modifications or improvements.

Ah. There are many different types of mods and I was thinking of the ones that actually alter gameplay. 

#7 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:09 PM

Piss off, they work to make the mods, if they want to give them for free, that's really nice of them, but if they feel like they should be paid for it, I don't see the problem with that.
Now onto the 75%-25% split. It might be a bit harsh, but it's the same amount that they give Steam workshop creators for Dota 2 items, for example. Also, Valve doesn't get the full 75%, it's shared with Bethesda.

#8 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:10 PM

Ah. There are many different types of mods and I was thinking of the ones that actually alter gameplay. 

Exactly this, there's enhanced spell mods, bug fix mods, compainion mods. You name it, it exists.

Piss off, they work to make the mods, if they want to give them for free, that's really nice of them, but if they feel like they should be paid for it, I don't see the problem with that.
Now onto the 75%-25% split. It might be a bit harsh, but it's the same amount that they give Steam workshop creators for Dota 2 items, for example. Also, Valve doesn't get the full 75%, it's shared with Bethesda.

The thing is, the modders aren't getting much of the pay. If the modders got a better % sure, that's fine and dandy.

Modders accept donations, if I used mods, I would certainly donate.

#9 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

Can't you still add the mods yourself...?

#10 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:11 PM

People can still offer their mods for free.

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

True. But because of this, there are those people who just see dollar signs and start charging really high prices just because they can. 

#12 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

That isn't the point. People are stealing the free mods, making them paid. Someone's going to profit off of someone else not checking other places.

They shouldn't profit off of this. I'm not against modders making money in the least. But this is poorly implemented.

Can't you still add the mods yourself...?

Not sure exactly what you mean, you mean if you owned them before, or create them yourself?

#13 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:16 PM

Not sure exactly what you mean, you mean if you owned them before, or create them yourself?

Add mods to a game without using the steam client.

#14 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Add mods to a game without using the steam client.

I'm unsure if the other places are going to follow suit, or already have. I'm assuming they do but don't take my assumption for that. I don't use those sites so I wouldn't know.

#15 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:19 PM

True. But because of this, there are those people who just see dollar signs and start charging really high prices just because they can.

It's their fucking work, if they want to be paid for it, I don't see what's wrong with it.
Regarding high prices, it seems like you don't understand how supply and demand works.

That isn't the point. People are stealing the free mods, making them paid. Someone's going to profit off of someone else not checking other places.

They shouldn't profit off of this. I'm not against modders making money in the least. But this is poorly implemented.

This is going to be moderated.
Besides, that's not what the petition you posted said. You should read your shit before posting it.

#16 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

It's their fucking work, if they want to be paid for it, I don't see what's wrong with it.

Whoa wait a minute. If I can't get my Skyrim sex mods for free there's going to be a riot.

#17 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:22 PM

Regarding high prices, it seems like you don't understand how supply and demand works.

This is going to be moderated.
Besides, that's not what the petition you posted said. You should read your shit before posting it.

1. I specifically said I'm not against modders getting paid for their work, I even said I'd donate if I used the service. Also you'll have thieves stealing the work of free mods and putting them up. Which is the issue I'm most up in arms about here as far as that goes. And yes "Just don't buy it." will come up. Yeah, /I/ I won't but someone else will and will get paid for the work of another

2. I do understand how supply and demand works, but the price of the full game, plus DLC, PLUS mods? You're going to get up into the thousands to play one video game.

3. It's going to be moderated? For how long? Look how steam greenlight went

#18 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:24 PM

I do understand how supply and demand works, but the price of the full game, plus DLC, PLUS mods? You're going to get up into the thousands to play one video game.

Play the game how it was intended by developers then. You don't have to downloaded thousands of mods for the game.

#19 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:26 PM

Also, those who have their mods for free? Will now receive less donations, because who will want to donate to free modders, having just paid for a mod from someone else? nobody. So, it's contributing to destroying the modding community.

Play the game how it was intended by developers then. You don't have to downloaded thousands of mods for the game.

No, it isn't required but it's nice to have the option.

#20 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:27 PM

I'm unsure if the other places are going to follow suit, or already have. I'm assuming they do but don't take my assumption for that. I don't use those sites so I wouldn't know.

Point being you DO NOT have to use the Steam Client to mod a game.

You don't even have to use Steam to play games at all.

#21 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Point being you DO NOT have to use the Steam Client to mod a game.

You don't even have to use Steam to play games at all.

Yes, but there are people who are stealing the free content, and selling it as their own. Regardless of how you play.

#22 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:31 PM

1. I specifically said I'm not against modders getting paid for their work, I even said I'd donate if I used the service. Also you'll have thieves stealing the work of free mods and putting them up. Which is the issue I'm most up in arms about here as far as that goes. And yes "Just don't buy it." will come up. Yeah, /I/ I won't but someone else will and will get paid for the work of another

2. I do understand how supply and demand works, but the price of the full game, plus DLC, PLUS mods? You're going to get up into the thousands to play one video game.

3. It's going to be moderated? For how long? Look how steam greenlight went

1. Was clearly replying to another post.
2. Same as 1, but let's answer anyway. If people are willing to pay thousands in mods, then they will, if not they will go on sales and start lowering the prices.
3. At first it was anarchy and anyone got through by offering free keys, then they starting dealing with that kind of bullshit and I think it's running pretty smoothly right now.

#23 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

1. Was clearly replying to another post.
2. Same as 1, but let's answer anyway. If people are willing to pay thousands in mods, then they will, if not they will go on sales and start lowering the prices.
3. At first it was anarchy and anyone got through by offering free keys, then they starting dealing with that kind of bullshit and I think it's running pretty smoothly right now.

Actually, @Aria pretty much just said what I was about to say to your response to my post. 

#24 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 23 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Well this has turned much more into an argument than I had wished for.

I'm not entirely in the mood for doing so, so I'm going to refrain from posting further unless it's important. 

Also, I apologize for that @Drakonid I thought the post was at me.

#25 Nikiforov

Nikiforov
  • 125 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 April 2015 - 01:50 AM

sounds like someone has never played a Bethesda game before

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users