brexit

totm

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#101 diebuster

diebuster
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

As somebody born and raised in a Confucian society, it has been rather unsettling to see comments on the big social media platforms berating and wishing the death of their own grandparents. What a culture shock. Either way, congratulations to the brits who voted to leave. For everyone's sake, please don't fuck this up.

#102 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:06 AM

^thank you :D nice to see someone saying something not to horrible towards leavers like me

*was going to post something but feel I am going to get into an arguement and dont want that so shall just flit off this thread and move onto something else"

#103 yeahneocodex

yeahneocodex
  • 98 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:46 AM

Well, I live far away (Yay, South America) from the UK, but from all my geography classes, I've always learned economic unions are stronger when countries are together, so I'm still trying to understand why people voted to leave. Really, I would love a bit of info from people who voted ~

#104 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:16 AM

Well, I live far away (Yay, South America) from the UK, but from all my geography classes, I've always learned economic unions are stronger when countries are together, so I'm still trying to understand why people voted to leave. Really, I would love a bit of info from people who voted ~

I'm curious if people have reasons beyond immigration and whatnot.

#105 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:20 AM

South Americans unite! I honestly haven't been following Brexit, but the Government here mentioned that we'll probably be losing some funding they'd received from the EU through the UK.

#106 Marionette

Marionette
  • 327 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:24 AM

Where I live there have been protests, people all uniting in the town centre and telling anyone who doesn't look British to "go home".

Ugh.

This referendum has empowered the bigots into believing that they are right. Scary times.

#107 WarezHaxor

WarezHaxor
  • 668 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 03:18 AM

Is trump gonna build his wall for Britain now too? That's going a bit far over the line when you start holding protests telling others to go home...Plenty of nationalities that consider it home, maybe the bigots need to go.

#108 Marionette

Marionette
  • 327 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:23 AM

Is trump gonna build his wall for Britain now too? That's going a bit far over the line when you start holding protests telling others to go home...Plenty of nationalities that consider it home, maybe the bigots need to go.

I've always thought of Newcastle as a diverse city. We've always had the reputation as a friendly city too so I'm super annoyed at this! The bigots will feel justified now though, believing that the majority of out voters believe the same as them even though not all out voters are racist  :(

#109 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:31 AM

Is trump gonna build his wall for Britain now too?

The Romans beat him to that one.

Where I live there have been protests, people all uniting in the town centre and telling anyone who doesn't look British to "go home".

Ugh.

This referendum has empowered the bigots into believing that they are right. Scary times.

jr1KnGa.jpg

Hardly a Nuremberg Rally. :p Looks like maybe a couple of dozen idiots and they probably came up from Sunderland on the Metro. :rolleyes:

#110 NeoVix

NeoVix
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:38 AM

I'm curious if people have reasons beyond immigration and whatnot.

Only reason I have seen besides immigration is the NHS promise...that apparently all savings would be ploughed back into the NHS. which was taken back the day after the vote...honestly, people are rather naive if they actually believed it would happen anyway with the Tories determined to dismantle it...

#111 Marionette

Marionette
  • 327 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:46 AM

The Romans beat him to that one.

jr1KnGa.jpg

Hardly a Nuremberg Rally. :p Looks like maybe a couple of dozen idiots and they probably came up from Sunderland on the Metro. :rolleyes:

Well to be fair they haven't got many brain cells between them, it'll take them a while to organise anything bigger  :lol2:

#112 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

http://www.theguardi...yn-who-has-gone

When I first looked yesterday, it was one sacking and one resignation. Hours later, BAM it's 11. 

#113 complexion155

complexion155
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:01 PM

Going to be interesting what the aftermath of all this is.

One by one they all seem to be moving out which means when the next election completely new leadership.... Brexit... Trump.... hm interesting year coming ahead

#114 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

I can't get over how intense the European Parliament Meeting is. I wish U.S. politics were this dramatic - all we get is Trump and a creeping sense of dread.

#115 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 08:49 AM

I feel bad for Scotland. They voted to stay, and now they have to decide whether it's worth leaving the UK to stay in the EU. This is so messed up :(

#116 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:05 AM

I feel bad for Scotland. They voted to stay, and now they have to decide whether it's worth leaving the UK to stay in the EU. This is so messed up :(

I feel bad for them and all of the people who were fooled by the leave campaign. 

#117 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:14 AM

I feel bad for them and all of the people who were fooled by the leave campaign. 

Right? I don't have a lot of sympathy for the racists who voted leave just because they don't like the immigrants; but I get that it's hard to inform yourself on everything, and a good propaganda campaign is hard to resist.

#118 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:22 AM

Right? I don't have a lot of sympathy for the racists who voted leave just because they don't like the immigrants; but I get that it's hard to inform yourself on everything, and a good propaganda campaign is hard to resist.

Nah, definitely no sympathy for the racists - especially not the ones using this as an opportunity to show just how racist they actually are. 

https://www.facebook...e=3&pnref=story

Someone made an album of people's stories. It's sad. 

#119 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:43 AM

http://www.theguardi...yn-who-has-gone

When I first looked yesterday, it was one sacking and one resignation. Hours later, BAM it's 11. 

He should never have been made Labour leader in the first place, he was unelectable for government from the very start.

Don't forget to feel sorry for me and everybody who voted remain too (in particular young voters). If they'd let 16/17 year olds vote the result could have been very different, we'll never know now though.

#120 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:44 AM

Don't forget to feel sorry for me and everybody who voted remain too (in particular young voters).

Yeah, that one's a given :p 

#121 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 09:50 AM

Actually contemplating becoming a Conservative member to vote in their leadership election but I'm not sure if what's left of my soul could cope with that.

#122 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 10:20 AM

Did I say anywhere that they shouldn't? 

No. Neither did @Mishelle.

I even agreed with you, they have the right to vote, end of. I'm just saying we need to let people acknowledge that the opinions of the baby boomer's are shitty, when you factor in that they will be dead in 15-30 years and won't need to deal with the fall out from this type of decision. Acknowledging it and commiserating about it isn't being negative.

Well, if it makes everyone feel better, with the current average age of death, the upper end of the millennials will start dying around a decade later.

#123 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 June 2016 - 11:44 PM

Was thinking about this the other day and the back lash that some leave voters are getting by being tared with the same brush as the racists and radicals, and thought I would ask it here...

Given what has happened and what we have seen if you could change anything about the "side" you voted for campaign what would it be??

For me I did not like the fact the leave campaign was directed at immigration.  I wanted it to be directed at facts on costs and laws, such as in the last 6 months the EU parliament have spent E4.1m on deciding if oven gloves are not thick enough.  For me details like this should have been reported on.  Also I did not like the fact they totally ignored reporting on what would happen if we stayed in the EU and it failed.  Again this is all information that "remainers" should have been told.  I also did not like the fact they kept drumming on about "getting back control" yes this was part of it but its just how they kept saying it.  The biggest thing tho is the fact they did not show a direct way forward if we voted to leave and this then gave instability in the markets (yes this could have been a lot better if the financial members had not gambled on the vote coming out as stay).

Leave or remain what would you have liked to see changed on how your side went about the debate and final result??

#124 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:19 AM

Was thinking about this the other day and the back lash that some leave voters are getting by being tared with the same brush as the racists and radicals, and thought I would ask it here...

Given what has happened and what we have seen if you could change anything about the "side" you voted for campaign what would it be??

For me I did not like the fact the leave campaign was directed at immigration. I wanted it to be directed at facts on costs and laws, such as in the last 6 months the EU parliament have spent E4.1m on deciding if oven gloves are not thick enough. For me details like this should have been reported on. Also I did not like the fact they totally ignored reporting on what would happen if we stayed in the EU and it failed. Again this is all information that "remainers" should have been told. I also did not like the fact they kept drumming on about "getting back control" yes this was part of it but its just how they kept saying it. The biggest thing tho is the fact they did not show a direct way forward if we voted to leave and this then gave instability in the markets (yes this could have been a lot better if the financial members had not gambled on the vote coming out as stay).

Leave or remain what would you have liked to see changed on how your side went about the debate and final result??

Not enough flotillas down the Thames.

#125 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:13 AM

We needed to challenge the claims about immigration and NHS funding much better (especially given the Leave side has effectively admitted they were complete lies subsequently), working class and northern voters were largely taken for granted, 16/17 years should have been given the vote in the first place as it's mainly their future which is now in question and there should have been limitations placed on the vote requiring 60%+ for the referendum to pass given the enormity of leaving the EU.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: totm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users