ipsy                 (beauty box)

birchbox           (beauty box)

loot crate          (nerd/gamer)

nerdbox

julep                 (nailpolish box)

Rainbow honey  (nailpolish box)

catlady box        (cat themed box)

now I only have:

dokidoki crate     (cute stuff from Japan)

japan crate         (snacks from Japan)

YumeTwins         (cute stuff from Japan)

I like getting boxes of new things I might not have otherwise discovered, that and surprises are fun!!

Anyone else subscribe to subscription boxes? Any neat ones that I might not have heard of?

#2 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:48 PM

Aren't subscription boxes expensive? :o Do you think it's worth it for the amount of items you get?

I've never subscribed to any but I have considered some of those snack ones. I guess it's a good way to find new things/flavors/colors/etc. but I'm pretty picky (about EVERYTHING) so I feel like I would want to pick out stuff on my own instead. What happens if you get a shipment where you just hate everything in it? 

#3 Nano

Nano
  • a delicious kiwi

• 325 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

I used to get Lootcrates. Haven't had one for a few months though.

#4 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:58 PM

I stopped getting Loot crate because my Hubs and I split it, the one month they were supposed to have an epic Star Wars t-shirt my Hubs was all excited about and when the box came our had some lame ass shirt with a note saying "sorry ran out" here's a crappo shirt to compensate..... emailed them a you suck and canceled

BUT

the recent Labyrinth item reeled me back in for at least a month  :ohwell:

#5 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:59 PM

I do Fashion Stork; they usually send me some pretty nice stuff that I wear every so often. $65/box though x.x.

Also, I asked my "personal stylist"..<_<..to NOT include pants in my box, and I kept getting them, so I cancelled the subscription. I live in Arizona, and even in "winter" here it's still like 60 degrees, so I won't wear pants.

#6 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

Aren't subscription boxes expensive? :o Do you think it's worth it for the amount of items you get?

I've never subscribed to any but I have considered some of those snack ones. I guess it's a good way to find new things/flavors/colors/etc. but I'm pretty picky (about EVERYTHING) so I feel like I would want to pick out stuff on my own instead. What happens if you get a shipment where you just hate everything in it? 

It depends, cheapest one I've gotten is $10, most expensive one I currently get is $30. Once they get to the point I don't think the items are worth it I cancel, but for the most part there's almost always one item that makes it worth it to me.

The snack box is the first one I've gotten, so I'm not sure....they had a 50% one month So I thought I'd be adventurous!

As far as stuff in boxes and hating the stuff....fortunately I have family that likes the same kind of things I do, so chances are if I don't like it my daughters, sisters, brother or mothers would snatch it up so nothing was wasted

I do Fashion Stork; they usually send me some pretty nice stuff that I wear every so often. $65/box though x.x.

Also, I asked my "personal stylist".. <_<..to NOT include pants in my box, and I kept getting them, so I cancelled the subscription. I live in Arizona, and even in "winter" here it's still like 60 degrees, so I won't wear pants.

Fashion Stork looks neat...though their site kinda flashed me dizy with their slideshow thingy LOL..I've thought about trying a girl's fashion box but I'm just soooo picky with what I wear.

Did they send you dressy stuff? Or was it a bit of everything?

#7 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

I am not subscribed to any, but if i was i would pick- sourced box (healthy snacks- currently only available in uk), and birchbox, although i haven't done a ton of research on all the different boxes available.

I like the idea (kinda) of subscription boxes, besides them making you want to spend hundreds of dollars on product you would have otherwise done without lol.

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

It depends, cheapest one I've gotten is $10, most expensive one I currently get is $30. Once they get to the point I don't think the items are worth it I cancel, but for the most part there's almost always one item that makes it worth it to me.

The snack box is the first one I've gotten, so I'm not sure....they had a 50% one month So I thought I'd be adventurous!

As far as stuff in boxes and hating the stuff....fortunately I have family that likes the same kind of things I do, so chances are if I don't like it my daughters, sisters, brother or mothers would snatch it up so nothing was wasted

Fashion Stork looks neat...though their site kinda flashed me dizy with their slideshow thingy LOL..I've thought about trying a girl's fashion box but I'm just soooo picky with what I wear.

Did they send you dressy stuff? Or was it a bit of everything?

They'll send you stuff based on the style choices you pick. You can also pick out your: sizes, favorite colors, and styles, You're also allowed to put in a few sentences of what style you're looking for, and the "stylist" will pick stuff out for you based on that. I don't really know what your idea of dressy stuff is; my idea of dressy stuff is anything beyond shorts and like a white t-shirt, or a colored v-neck. 

#9 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

I am not subscribed to any, but if i was i would pick- sourced box (healthy snacks- currently only available in uk), and birchbox, although i haven't done a ton of research on all the different boxes available.

I like the idea (kinda) of subscription boxes, besides them making you want to spend hundreds of dollars on product you would have otherwise done without lol.

birchbox is a good one, not sure if the UK works the same, but it eventually kinda pays for itself if you do the reviews of the products you get in your box with points to buy stuff in their shop (got some nice skull candy ear buds this way).

I liked birchbox because it was all samples (sometimes full product) of makeup/body care so you could try stuff without spending a bunch on the full size...also great for travel packs....hiding a hand lotion or some-such in a purse...or stocking stuffers if you weren't intrested in a product.

They'll send you stuff based on the style choices you pick. You can also pick out your: sizes, favorite colors, and styles, You're also allowed to put in a few sentences of what style you're looking for, and the "stylist" will pick stuff out for you based on that. I don't really know what your idea of dressy stuff is; my idea of dressy stuff is anything beyond shorts and like a white t-shirt, or a colored v-neck. 

LOL I was thinking suits and ties the website looked pretty swank. HA I could see myself filling in "Lazy weirdo " as my style wonder what they would do with that

#10 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:35 PM

Bully Bundles, bully sticks each month for my dog.
Dollar Shave Club, shaving supplies.
Pup Box, puppy stuff.

#11 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:37 PM

I would subscribe to a candy one, but I'm poor.

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

birchbox is a good one, not sure if the UK works the same, but it eventually kinda pays for itself if you do the reviews of the products you get in your box with points to buy stuff in their shop (got some nice skull candy ear buds this way).

I liked birchbox because it was all samples (sometimes full product) of makeup/body care so you could try stuff without spending a bunch on the full size...also great for travel packs....hiding a hand lotion or some-such in a purse...or stocking stuffers if you weren't intrested in a product.

LOL I was thinking suits and ties the website looked pretty swank. HA I could see myself filling in "Lazy weirdo " as my style wonder what they would do with that

I have not seen any suits and ties. That could also be because I didn't put in for suits/ties, I purposely avoided that shit because I already have a suit.

#13 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:45 PM

Bully Bundles, bully sticks each month for my dog.
Dollar Shave Club, shaving supplies.
Pup Box, puppy stuff.

Is the dollar shave club as really as good as they advertise they are? I mean do they compare to like shick(sp?)

I would subscribe to a candy one, but I'm poor.

I could send you a one time candy box of texas treats but it would come with cat hair too XD oh and prolly a lil melty since it's getting hotter

Edited by Faeling, 07 June 2016 - 07:47 PM.

#14 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:46 PM

Is the dollar shave club as really as good as they advertise they are? I mean do they compare to like shick(sp?)

I could send you a one time candy box of texas treats but it would come with cat hair too XD

I love cats! *-*

Do you live in Texas?

#15 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

I do, I'm in the DFW area and I have cats LOL lots of cat hair

#16 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:54 PM

Yes I was also tempted by the 50% off/free month but then I got too lazy to sign up. Typical me. 

I guess it would be worth it to split a beauty or nail polish box among friends though :o what are your experience with those?

#17 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

Yes I was also tempted by the 50% off/free month but then I got too lazy to sign up. Typical me. 

I guess it would be worth it to split a beauty or nail polish box among friends though :o what are your experience with those?

I can recommend both ipsy and birchbox, they are both only $10 a piece so on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Ipsy has more makeup items while birchbox is more skin/hair care.

Ipsy always comes with a cute makeup bag but after a while how many of those things do you need...

Birchbox has a review for points system, which gets tiresome after writing so many reviews but the points do pay off

The nail boxes I've gotten were really nice, pretty colors (mostly good formulas)

Julep was the more expensive and their product wasn't always to par

Rainbow was more out there colors but really neat and not too expensive

I'd go with ipsy or birchbox if I was trying a beauty box.....nail polishes I'm not as sure to recommend. Julep usually runs a welcome box or some-such for really cheap....That I can recommend, just remember to cancel and not let them bill you again.    NEVER MIND they make you pay for 2 months out of 3 now instead of a welcome box

Edited by Faeling, 07 June 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#18 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:17 PM

I can recommend both ipsy and birchbox, they are both only $10 a piece so on the lower end of the cost spectrum.

Ipsy has more makeup items while birchbox is more skin/hair care.

Ipsy always comes with a cute makeup bag but after a while how many of those things do you need...

Birchbox has a review for points system, which gets tiresome after writing so many reviews but the points do pay off

The nail boxes I've gotten were really nice, pretty colors (mostly good formulas)

Julep was the more expensive and their product wasn't always to par

Rainbow was more out there colors but really neat and not too expensive

I'd go with ipsy or birchbox if I was trying a beauty box.....nail polishes I'm not as sure to recommend. Julep usually runs a welcome box or some-such for really cheap....That I can recommend, just remember to cancel and not let them bill you again.    NEVER MIND they make you pay for 2 months out of 3 now instead of a welcome box

I'm surprised that Julep isn't good quality, I see it a lot on insta and I know someone who's a nail guru and she's always using it. Personally I prefer ciate but I have too much nail polish it barely fits on a shelf x_x 

#19 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

I'm surprised that Julep isn't good quality, I see it a lot on insta and I know someone who's a nail guru and she's always using it. Personally I prefer ciate but I have too much nail polish it barely fits on a shelf x_x 

it may be better now, I subscribed 3 or 4 years back....when they sent you a welcome box of 3-4 nail polishes for only $4...I got runny, too thick, and even a few bottles with the brushes already broke off, that and it seemed they were just recycling a lot of their colors is why I canceled. Maybe better now, and like you I have a ton of bottles all over the place....no more beauty products for me for a while LOL

#20 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:40 PM

it may be better now, I subscribed 3 or 4 years back....when they sent you a welcome box of 3-4 nail polishes for only $4...I got runny, too thick, and even a few bottles with the brushes already broke off, that and it seemed they were just recycling a lot of their colors is why I canceled. Maybe better now, and like you I have a ton of bottles all over the place....no more beauty products for me for a while LOL

Wow that's... pretty terrible LOL. Especially for the price. Personally I like their packaging though, I feel like it's so efficient for storage. All these fat polish bottles piss me off. 

Kind of off-topic but since it seems you're interested in beauty, have you tried colourpop lipsticks? :3

#21 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:47 PM

Wow that's... pretty terrible LOL. Especially for the price. Personally I like their packaging though, I feel like it's so efficient for storage. All these fat polish bottles piss me off. 

Kind of off-topic but since it seems you're interested in beauty, have you tried colourpop lipsticks? :3

I was subscribed for awhile and got a cute carry case for like 100 of them, the bottle style is nice :)

Haven't tried colourpop, though I looked at  their website and the shades looked pretty.....do you know their testing policy? I switched to only brands that don't test on animals

#22 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:55 PM

I was subscribed for awhile and got a cute carry case for like 100 of them, the bottle style is nice :)

Haven't tried colourpop, though I looked at  their website and the shades looked pretty.....do you know their testing policy? I switched to only brands that don't test on animals

https://colourpop.com/faqs/

Just looked on their site and it said almost all their products are vegan and it has the PETA cruelty free tag, so I'm pretty certain they do not test on animals!

#23 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

My wife uses them mainly, and yes they are very good. Definitely a LOT cheaper than store bought.

#24 Faeling

Faeling
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:11 PM

https://colourpop.com/faqs/

Just looked on their site and it said almost all their products are vegan and it has the PETA cruelty free tag, so I'm pretty certain they do not test on animals!

Thanks I might have to try one, any recommendation?

My wife uses them mainly, and yes they are very good. Definitely a LOT cheaper than store bought.

awesome I'll hafta try them then!

#25 Nanarie

Nanarie
  • 576 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 June 2016 - 09:15 PM

Thanks I might have to try one, any recommendation?

Do you prefer darker/lighter, pink/brown, matte/satin? lumiere is a very popular shade that is supposed to look good on everyone so I'd recommend that! It's hard to choose just ONE shade though, ya know? :3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users