Neocodex Rules (Long Version)
Created September 11, 2011
Last Updated: August 6th, 2014 by Sweeney
Go here for the shorter version: http://www.neocodex....neocodex-rules/
- Unless otherwise stated, these rules apply to any activity on Neocodex.us, and on the IRC channel #neocodex on irc.freenode.net.
- If any members see users violating any of these rules, they are encouraged to report it to a moderator. The report button can be found under every post, and in a user's profile.
Section 1 - Adult Material
1.1 - Adult oriented material is not allowed on Neocodex, so please do not post it. "Adult oriented material" is defined as anything that illegal for minors to view, such as pornography, or graphic sexual discussions.
- 1.1.1 - For mild violations, such as an offending picture, the offending material will be removed by moderators and a 10% warn will be issued.
- 1.1.2 - In the case of severe violations, such as posting child pornography, your account will be immediately banned and likely reported to the proper authorities.
Section 2 - Posting Quality
2.1 - Any form of SPAM (Small Pointless Annoying Messages) are not allowed. You agree not to post messages that lack substance, or messages that are there for the sole purpose of disrupting the board. Any malicious attempt to make a message unreadable will be counted as SPAM (an example of this is font that is barely readable/legible like this etc etc etc)
- 2.1.1 - Offending posts will be removed by staff, and a verbal notice will be given to the user about their post.
- 2.1.2 - Mild re-offense of spam will be met with a 10% warn, whereas persistant SPAM will result in the user's posts being all placed on moderator review. As well, the user can be silenced completely by being marked as a spammer.
- 2.1.3 - In extreme cases of spamming the boards, Moderators/Admin have the right to ban the account entirely.
2.2 - Users must follow the Signature and Avatar Policy.
- 2.2.1 - Signatures/avatars in violation will be removed and a PM notification will be sent. Repeat violation will result in a 10% warn.
Section 3 - Scamming and Malicious Intent
3.1 - Any form of scamming or deceitful behaviour against Neocodex and/or its members is not allowed.
- 3.1.1 - Scamming is a serious offence on Neocodex. If, using a balance of probabilities, it is found that you have scammed another user on the forum in a trade/contest or elsewhere on the site, your account will likely be banned immediately.
- 3.1.2 - Depending on the severity of the scamming incident, other sites similar to ours will be notified. We are also notified of high-profile scammers from other sites.
- 3.1.3 - Staff reserves the right to use evidence collected on other sites to make decisions on scamming incidents which have taken place here, or to pre-emptively limit your permissions here. Thus, your record on other sites will follow you.
3.2 - You agree not to upload, download, link to, or refer to anything malicious or illegal. This includes, but is not limited to, viruses, trojans, scamming, malicious coding, illegal activity, etc.
- 3.2.1 - If the content cannot be confirmed to be malicious, it will be removed immediately by staff and a notification will be sent via. PM asking you to clarify the intent of the content. Re-posting the material without first clearing it with staff will result in a 10% warn, and/or moderator preview of posts.
- 3.2.2 - If the content is confirmed to be illegal, it will be removed immediately and the user warned 10%. Please note that this includes direct links to torrent files for illegal material, and/or direct links to off-site downloads. Discussion of torrent trackers without direct linking, however, is allowed. To reiterate, "You can get that at Demonoid." is perfectly acceptable, but directly providing the link is not.
- 3.2.3 - If the content is confirmed to be malicious and severe, like a trojan/virus/keylogger, it will be removed immediately and the user will be banned.
Section 4 - Intellectual Property and Leaking
4.1 - Do not label others' work as your own. If you submit a program, source code snippet, graphic/image, or tutorial that wasn't made by you, you will acknowledge the author with proper recognition. You also must have the authors' permission to post the item on our board.
- 4.1.1 - For all offenses, removal of the infringing content and a 10% warn will incur if proper recognition is not provided.
4.2 - NeoCodex does not tolerate people who leak advanced/private/retired/staff member information. Any information gained is meant for private and personal use. Do not share, distribute, and/or give any information, programs, tutorials, or 'private' material. Information is to stay in its corresponding area.
- 4.2.1 - For mild offenses, such as leaking MP/Lenny answers, or voting decisions of small importance, the offending person will be given a 10% warn, and be put on probation, or lose their position/privilege if appropriate. Any re-offense in a two month period will instantly result in them losing their position or privilege and another 10% warn.
- 4.2.2 - For severe offenses, such as leaking critical source code, 'trade secrets', voting decisions of signficant importance, etc.., the offending person will lose their position/privilege, and a 30% warn given.
- 4.2.3 - Members asking for leaks from members of a higher rank will receive a 10% warn regardless of whether any information was given. Repeat offenses will result in harsher penalties, including demotion and removal of priveleges.
Section 5 - Flaming and Harassment
5.1 - Do not be cruel, hateful or hurtful to other members. Do not harass other members. Harassment includes, but is not limited to, any type of sexual, mental, forceful, and/or physical harassment.
- 5.1.1 - Mild cases (ie. "GTFO", "go fuck yourself", etc..): Offensive material will be removed and 10% will be issued.
- 5.1.2 - Severe or recurring cases of flaming and/or harassment will result in the material being removed and 20% warn issued.
5.2 - Neocodex do not tolerate any type of discrimination. This includes, but is not limited to, any form of racism, sexism, and/or stereotyping of any group.
- 5.2.1 - Light forms of discrimination (ie. "Americans are stupid.") will be dealt with by having the post removed and a verbal warn issued via. PM. Any repeat offenses will result in 10% warn.
- 5.2.2 - More severe forms of discrimination will be dealt with by removing the offending material and a warn of at least 10% issued.
5.3 - Public complaints about members will not be tolerated. It is expected that any problems with specific members or staff will be reported to a superior of that member, such as a moderator or an administrator.
- 5.3.1 - Disruptive and/or obnoxious dissent against a member, or against staff will be removed and a notification via. PM will be sent with information on how the complaint can be dealt with internally.
- 5.3.2 - Repeated offences will result in a 10% warn and subsequent removal of the offending content.
5.4 - Trolling is not welcome at Neocodex.
- 5.4.1 - Ubuntu Forums describes these folk quite nicely. Don't give them any attention, because they will eventually lead you to break some of the other rules listed here (especially ones in Section 5).
- 5.4.2 - These people are known to slip on occasion, and break either 5.1, 5.2, or 5.3 eventually. If you really don't like them that much, put them on your ignored user list and wait for them to slip. Then, report them to staff. Harassment will definitely result in you being punished, not the troll.
- 5.4.3 - Debate these very obnoxious people at your own risk; they are definitely known for their deliberate defiance of logic and reason.
- 5.4.4 - Impersonating a fellow member to try and disrupt the forum will not be tolerated. You will earn 20% warn per instance.
5.5 - Providing intentionally false or misleading information about the services of Neocodex to other users is not allowed.
- 5.5.1 - Neocodex members rely on community input regarding the use of services available on the site (such as how to effectively use the programs, and what users get as part of an advanced member subscription). It is important that users not provide false information to other members in a way that is somehow destructive or misleading.
- 5.5.2 - Intentionally breaking this rule (ie. providing destructive advice on how to use programs, falsely stating the benefits of purchasing an advanced member subscription, etc.) will result in a minimum 30% warn, depending on the severity/impact of the offence.
* Notice the subtlety that sometimes exists between expressing a backed-up opinion, and discriminating/flaming. You can almost always form a post into something that is not offensive, but gets your point across. Use some tact, and you will lessen your chance of get punished. With that said, we understand that Section 5 of our rules is filled with subjective decisions. The moderators will likely follow past precedents as a guide, but help us out by not pushing the line.
Section 6 - Advertising
6.1 - Advertisements for the selling/buying of goods must be made in the designed Trading Post areas only, if applicable.
- 6.1.1 - Any advertisements not in designed areas will be removed, and a PM notice will be sent. Re-posting the advertisement will result in a 10% warn and re-removal.
6.2 - There is to be no explicit advertising of other sites unless explicit permission from the Administration is granted. Any form of advertisement must be approved by Staff.
- 6.2.1 - Any advertisements not approved by staff will be removed, and a PM notice will be sent. Re-posting the advertisement without prior approval from staff will result in a 10% warn and re-removal.
- 6.2.2 - Anyone found to be trying to 'poach' members to rival/competing sites in ANY way without express permission from the Admins will be issued a 10% warning and any further instance of this occuring will incur further penalties/bans.
Section 7 - Accounts
7.1 - Members agree not to, in any way, "share" their account with another member. Rankings do not matter; sharing of accounts is strictly non-permissible. Neocodex does not let you own more than one account due to security and organizational purposes (unless you have a valid excuse).
- 7.1.1 - Duplicate accounts will likely be investigated by staff, and are subject to deletion. Being a previously banned member will earn you another ban.
- 7.1.2 - Sharing of accounts for the purposes of sharing higher privileges (such as advanced member access) will be considered an offence of rule 4.2, and action 4.2.2 will be taken on the user. Please note that doing this is also a violation of the TOS that you agree to if purchasing a subscription, so therefore, no compensation will be issued for subscribers.
- 7.1.3 - Creating duplicate accounts in a disruptive way, or a way that bypasses an account restriction (such as trading post privileges or a suspension) will earn you 30% warn per instance, and an extension of your suspension if applicable.
Section 8 - Warn Policy
8.1 - The maximum achievable warn is 100%, after which an automatic ban will be issued.
- 8.1.1 - Reach 100% warn, and your account will be permanently banned for repeated misconduct.
8.2 - Warns will decay slowly over time.
- 8.2.1 - For every 30 days that a warn is not incurred, 10% warn will be removed from the account automatically.
8.3 - The following suspension policy will apply to any warns applied to a user's account:
10% - [No Suspension] 20% - 12 hour 30% - 1 day (+12 hours if going from 20% to 30%) 40% - 2 day (+1 day if going from 30% to 40%) 50% - 4 day (+2 day if going from 40% to 50%) 60% - 8 day (+4 day if going from 50% to 60%) 70% - 12 day (+4 day if going from 60% to 70%) 80% - 14 day (+2 day if going from 70% to 80%) 90% - 21 day (+7 day if going from 80% to 90%) 100% - [Ban]
8.4 - Repeat offenders will be put on "mod preview" until such a time that the administrative team feels that the user will no-longer break the rules.
- 8.4.1 - Users who have shown a repetitious behaviour when it comes to breaking rules of the site will be put on temporary moderation preview, which means that before any action that the user makes (including status updates, posts, blog entries, private messages) will first have to be reviewed by a member of staff before being approved. The duration of this action is left up to the members of staff.