Photo

Authorization rule

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#26 Jakerz

Jakerz
  • 1764 posts

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:58 PM

I agree with Laser Wave and I think JAU, but his last post confused the hell out of me with all the a's and b's lol tongue.gif

I personally think the Codex Checks shows that you can't get most of these programs (advanced+) any other place, so it will make members stay active.
In my opinion it also makes us look a lot more professional, but that's just my opinion. tongue.gif biggrin.gif

#27 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:45 PM

Incentives. I'm all about incentives. Authorizations provide incentives to actually contribute, talk or do anything really. If it were just given out, there would be no reason for a forum, no community, no wiki, no teams; it'd be a file dump. We moved away from that when we came off of MSN groups. Those were true file dumps, and they sucked. Viruses everywhere, no sense of purpose or community; just shoddy files that never improved or got criticism. I'm grateful for authorizations because they've made great communities like codex, neofreaks, slopdog(sort of), 3vo, 3voize, (double sort of), IA, and others. Without authorizations, they wouldn't be a community: they'd be shit.

My two cents.

#28 Josh21227

Josh21227
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:16 PM

I'm bring this back up.

Can someone explain why authorization is needed if a programmer doesn't want authorization on their program?

Answer these:
1) Why force authorization to be added to a program?
2) Why should a programmer not have a choice in whether to add authorization to their program or not?

The reason I'm bring this back up is because I want to add a few programs to neocodex, but I'm not wasting my time adding codexchecks to my program when I've released it publicly on other sites. I program for free, and want my programs completely public.

Btw - People who dont have decent reasons and a decent argument, please don't reply. Saying shit like "it could have a virus if it doesn't have authorization" just makes you look really stupid. No offense.

#29 Armageddon

Armageddon
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:08 AM

Josh stop trying to go against them. You do know that all sites need auth =)
I am sure all your tnp progs have auth.

#30 Josh21227

Josh21227
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

QUOTE (Armageddon @ Oct 22 2008, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Josh stop trying to go against them. You do know that all sites need auth =)
I am sure all your tnp progs have auth.

Only 1 of my TNP programs have auth. Thats the Altador plot completer.

#31 Mr. Hobo

Mr. Hobo
  • 8152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:48 AM

1) Why force authorization to be added to a program?
2) Why should a programmer not have a choice in whether to add authorization to their program or not?

Well if a programmer becomes inactive and neopets has an update and the programmer's programs gets everyone who uses them frozen due to them not being updated, the admins can quickly deactivate the program. Same goes if the program steals passwords or does anything bad.
If they don't want authorization then they can upload their work elsewhere

#32 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

- Auth stops other sites getting access to/distributing codex member's programs as their own.
- Requiring auth stops the board being filled with programs by random members because of either lack of quality or malicious code.
- Auth allows programmers to give program access to those of a specific rank. I, for one, have created programs I wouldn't release to everyone.
- The program also works to integrate programs to the board, allowing programmers to view logs and bug reports.
- Having to work for a program makes people active. Anyone who couldn't give a shit, doesn't get shit.
- If a programmer doesn't want to put auth on his program, post it elsewhere. We don't mind if we're missing out on it.
- The main feature of Codex is our programs. Without auth, we'd just be another option over rapidshare or another file hosting websites.

There's a reason we're the best neopets cheating community.

#33 Josh21227

Josh21227
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:24 PM

QUOTE (SidaZoid @ Oct 25 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a reason we're the best neopets cheating community.

Comments like that make me dislike codex's members even more.

How is codex the best? Forum activity has fallen a great amount. Codex has barely any decent programs being uploaded. A lot of the active members here are assholes to new members, which is part of the cause of inactivity.

Codex -
31 user(s) active in the past 15 minutes
Active Users 11 guests, 17 members, 3 anonymous members

TNP -
Currently Active Users: 72 (34 members and 38 guests)
Josh21227, 1 3 3 7, Arash, bacchus, Case©, darkneomaniac, DarkWatch, Daschi, Dillon, Eliisa, Fusion, Jackie, Jon. biggrin.gif, Junex, koyut, Kraker01, loopbear3, Maiken, Matt, Melodee, Misery, mOBSCENE, P3NGU1N, Paranoid, peterparker, Richi, Rider+, rocky032208, Roku, Sean, slick, SuperMunkey, Tarchy, Vote Obama+

Amazing how a site that has been up for less then a year is a LOT more active then the "best neopets cheating community".

kthxbai.

#34 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:34 PM

After almost 5 years people tend to get bored with neopets to be honest. Most of our members don't even play it any more and are here just for the community now.

And I agree that we aren't the best neopets community, we haven't been for quite a while now but we do have some unique elements over other sites.

#35 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (Josh0403 @ Oct 26 2008, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comments like that make me dislike codex's members even more.

How is codex the best? Forum activity has fallen a great amount. Codex has barely any decent programs being uploaded. A lot of the active members here are assholes to new members, which is part of the cause of inactivity.

Codex -

TNP -

Amazing how a site that has been up for less then a year is a LOT more active then the "best neopets cheating community".

kthxbai.

Lol we have no decent programs? Yet another reason for auth. Assholes like you get the shitty programs released for the sake of leachers. We have some damn good programs which I guess you'll never see, let alone use. Do you honestly think you can see a sample of our best applications in the most basic rank?

Nice how you added the member list to their part in your little comparison. It says currently active users, but it's not. Usually those stats are for the last hour. And that forum isn't a 'LOT' more active, it's just currently more active. This is a known down-period for codex.

If you don't like it here, leave. Noone's making you stay...infact whining bitches like you get boring. We hear them all the time.

Oh, and in future, don't use kthxbai at the end of a post like that. It's old, it's boring, and no it doesn't make you look good.

Edited by SidaZoid, 25 October 2008 - 05:37 PM.

#36 Josh21227

Josh21227
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (SidaZoid @ Oct 25 2008, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol we have no decent programs? Yet another reason for auth. Assholes like you get the shitty programs released for the sake of leachers. We have some damn good programs which I guess you'll never see, let alone use. Do you honestly think you can see a sample of our best applications in the most basic rank?

Nice how you added the member list to their part in your little comparison. It says currently active users, but it's not. Usually those stats are for the last hour. And that forum isn't a 'LOT' more active, it's just currently more active. This is a known down-period for codex.

If you don't like it here, leave. Noone's making you stay...infact whining bitches like you get boring. We hear them all the time.

Oh, and in future, don't use kthxbai at the end of a post like that. It's old, it's boring, and no it doesn't make you look good.

Why would I want codex's programs when I could make my own?

Codex's activity is nothing compared to what it was a year or so ago. In the past codex was an active and helpful community, but now the older members are dicks to the newer ones, so the new ones leave.

When codex becomes a decent community again, I will release my programs here.

Theres one of them biggrin.gif.

Edited by Josh0403, 25 October 2008 - 06:13 PM.

#37 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (Josh0403 @ Oct 25 2008, 06:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would I want codex's programs when I could made my own?

Codex's activity is nothing compared to what it was a year or so ago. In the past codex was an active and helpful community, but now the older members are dicks to the newer ones, so the new ones leave.

"but now the older members are dicks to the newer ones" so tempted to start a list.

#38 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 08:59 PM

Honestly the older members have always been dicks to newer members. It's a known problem and has been that way since I've been on this site. Still, if you can get past that hazing, they're really great people (well some of them!). We do need to kick it up a notch, I do agree, but currently it's a tad difficult at the time. Our member base has grown older and is starting to move on. I personally have gone rather unactive due to my personal life taking a higher priority. The majority of our active members are now in later high school and are starting university soon or are already in it. Being that our member base is really tight, it's hard to overcome an obstacle such as that. We lose people and we miss them and think that the site isn't as good or couldn't be as good as it used to be so some of our members are really slow to accept newcomers as friends.

By the way: In my opinion the absolute number one reason why we have the auth is to give a certification that the program is neocodex approved. We understand that you would probably never post a virus as a program, but there are so many people out there that would. The program is looked at and tested before it's released to our members for a reason. That's quality and to make sure that it's safe for our members to use. One of the most important things for us is to ensure that our members' accounts stay unfrozen. Of course, you can do your own testing and say that it works great, but having us say that it works and it's a great program helps our poor overly frozen otherwise wary members.

I apologize for the wall of text but ummm... it's how I do things.

#39 Bryn AKA Interhacker

Bryn AKA Interhacker
  • 1885 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:02 PM

QUOTE (Tetiel @ Oct 25 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly the older members have always been dicks to newer members. It's a known problem and has been that way since I've been on this site. Still, if you can get past that hazing, they're really great people (well some of them!). We do need to kick it up a notch, I do agree, but currently it's a tad difficult at the time. Our member base has grown older and is starting to move on. I personally have gone rather unactive due to my personal life taking a higher priority. The majority of our active members are now in later high school and are starting university soon or are already in it. Being that our member base is really tight, it's hard to overcome an obstacle such as that. We lose people and we miss them and think that the site isn't as good or couldn't be as good as it used to be so some of our members are really slow to accept newcomers as friends.

Sadly this sums up the currant situation, and reguardless of auth or no auth the attendance problem remains

Edited by interhacker, 25 October 2008 - 09:02 PM.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (interhacker @ Oct 25 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"but now the older members are dicks to the newer ones" so tempted to start a list.

ME FIRST!!!

#41 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:07 PM

QUOTE (ericcc! @ Oct 26 2008, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ME FIRST!!!

You're a wetback, you have no right to be a dick to anybody. ;)

Why isn't the smiley working? sad.gif

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Oct 25 2008, 11:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're a wetback, you have no right to be a dick to anybody. wink.gif

Why not? sad.gif

#43 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (ericcc! @ Oct 26 2008, 05:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not? sad.gif

No green card, no being a dick. Thems the rules.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Oct 25 2008, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No green card, no being a dick. Thems the rules.

well if you wanna get technical i was born here
smile.gif

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

QUOTE (ericcc! @ Oct 26 2008, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well if you wanna get technical i was born here
smile.gif

Here being Mexico, we know. It's a well-known fact that you sailed across the Rio Grande in a beautiful pea-green boat.

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (Waser Lave @ Oct 25 2008, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here being Mexico, we know. It's a well-known fact that you sailed across the Rio Grande in a beautiful pea-green boat.

no
it was blue
get it right

#47 Josh21227

Josh21227
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 07:59 AM

Quick question. What are the suggestions ordered by? It sure isn't by date....

Edit: Nevermind, its by post count o.o. And I just noticed I can change that. *Fixes*

Edited by Josh0403, 26 October 2008 - 08:00 AM.

#48 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Josh0403 @ Oct 25 2008, 09:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would I want codex's programs when I could make my own?

You don't need Neocodex programs then if you can make your own. wink.gif

Well, if we dismiss the spiky curves in my google analytics window telling me that activity is actually higher this year blink.gif, helpfulness in general may have went down. Right now it seems everyone is concentrating on school so it may not seem very active right now. I can't really comment on the helpfulness since I haven't been around much lately though.

Perhaps I can help explain our policy to you, and the reasoning behind it all:

Every program submitted here requires that the Neocodex checks be installed on the programs. I'm sure you've heard that from many people already. The reasons for this are:

• It allows staff to have proper inventory of all programs being hosted. Everytime a program connects to Neocodex to authorize, usage statistics are recorded and are used by programming staff to determine usage trends in our programs. When I was staff, I very much liked using this information to determine which programs needed the most attention (based on use), and the total usage counter was useful in seeing how many users were running our programs at any given time. It doesn't get any more invasive than that though.
  • Back in a day when there used to be many submissions, not every program could be determined to meet the site's standards right at approval time (though I don't think this happens very much anymore) If ever the program needed to be disabled by either the programmer or the staff at the site, it could be done very fast, and without having to remove the program completely from the downloads section. For example: if someone (perhaps not from here and who doesn't like us or something) wanted to be really bad, they could submit a program that didn't show it's evil effects right away. In a few weeks time, the program starts doing some bad things and the staff need to stop everyone else from using the program. Holding everyone (even "non-outsiders") to this standard just ensures that things are consistent and not that anyone is being doubted. Another example: After a few months, a program goes fubar because Neopets changes something in their code and the program can no longer emulate being a person. To save a bunch of people getting frozen from any ill-effects of a program, the program can be disabled everywhere it is being used.
  • Contrary to the policy of other sites, Neocodex allows the programmer to retain all intellectual property rights to their programs, on the condition that the copy here follows our standards. What you submit here does not become the property of Neocodex. To give you a real life example, 3volutionize had a clause in their rules (not sure if it's still there though), saying that all submitted content becomes the property of 3volutionize. There is no such thing here, and you can release your program wherever you want. If say you choose to submit your program to three competing sites of ours, so be it. The copy you post here must have the checks, but we are indifferent towards whatever you do at other sites.
  • It shows that you can put a bit of effort to brand your program with the Neocodex name, and if it ever gets leaked, all it does is promote the site and not pose a danger.

If you don't agree with any one of these points, then submitting programs here is unfortunately not for you. sad.gif

So basically, the checks gives you the ability to ban users, only allow some, view usage logs, pass dynamic information into your program from the server (ex. making version updates pop up, or updating GetStringBetween criteria remotely). It gives the staff the ability to have an accessible inventory of programs hosted on the site, and more control in times when programs may get leaked to areas where they should not be, or if the program is eventually deemed unsafe.

#49 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:46 AM

I didn't know we can release non-check versions outside of Codex.

#50 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:16 AM

QUOTE (SidaZoid @ Oct 26 2008, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I didn't know we can release non-check versions outside of Codex.

QUOTE (http://www.neocodex.us/forum/Program-Submission-Policy-t40675.html)
Programs submitted to Neocodex are still the property of the author and when submitted....

This is meant to imply that they can still do whatever they want with their program, so long as our policies are followed on the site. tongue.gif It would be kind of assholeish to do something that would undermine Neocodex though (and that's why it's kind of frowned upon), but the clause is there so programmers can feel a bit more welcome. The whole idea is about earning the trust of programmers so that they feel comfortable programming here. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users