Quantcast

Photo

Is the neopets cheating community bigger than the legit community?

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 Frank12

Frank12
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this user!

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

k, i just use adblock for the actual ads lol

#27 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:28 PM

Bigger in what terms? I'm also talking about online communities - people who actually play legit and talk about it, not just cheating.

I haven't seen a lot of big-time legit communities though, that's why I asked.

Jellyneo, IDB, pinkpt, thedailyneo.

Neocolours, neoitems, neomallers

#28 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

I was very active on PinkPT at the same time I was active on cheat sites. They have different resources, and more people working towards the same thing. At least for the Lost Desert Plot, PinkPT had it figured out well before anyone else did the cheating sites did.

I think in any aspect of the game, you need to be non-legit in SOME way to be the most efficient. For example... a huge mall shop would be a legit way to make lots of NP... but then, you think they're not using an autopricer? And after making all that NP, there must be some temptation to sell it for real $$$. There are so many things that make you non-legit that if you're doing it that way... you probably just haven't figured out how to do it any other way. :)

#29 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:28 PM

No one on here is 100% legit. We've all played games on side accounts or have more than our allowed number of sides or used an ad blocker or whatever so it's actually pretty hard to see what counts as legit now a days o.0

#30 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:08 PM

I was very active on PinkPT at the same time I was active on cheat sites. They have different resources, and more people working towards the same thing. At least for the Lost Desert Plot, PinkPT had it figured out well before anyone else did the cheating sites did.

I think in any aspect of the game, you need to be non-legit in SOME way to be the most efficient. For example... a huge mall shop would be a legit way to make lots of NP... but then, you think they're not using an autopricer? And after making all that NP, there must be some temptation to sell it for real $. There are so many things that make you non-legit that if you're doing it that way... you probably just haven't figured out how to do it any other way. :)

I disagree with that; if you're playing legit and have not been exposed to illegitimate activities like selling NPs for peanuts, what temptation would there be to do that? And again as others have stated, it does take some e-literacy and whatnot to catch on with these programs. If you're legit, that learning curve and the fear of freezing scares you off. With all of that being said, with mallers being in the highest "tax bracket" of the Neopian population, I'm sure most of them have acquired all that wealth illegitimately anyway. ;p

Edited by Connery, 01 February 2011 - 08:10 PM.

#31 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:17 PM

I disagree with that; if you're playing legit and have not been exposed to illegitimate activities like selling NPs for peanuts, what temptation would there be to do that? And again as others have stated, it does take some e-literacy and whatnot to catch on with these programs. If you're legit, that learning curve and the fear of freezing scares you off. With all of that being said, with mallers being in the highest "tax bracket" of the Neopian population, I'm sure most of them have acquired all that wealth illegitimately anyway. ;p

My entire mallshop was funded legitimately. 38m+ in size increases and around 3m in stock. Being legit is amazingly easy considering how many shops have a few high-profile items you can camp out for. I've made more money legitimately than I have with cheating so far.

#32 Frank12

Frank12

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

I made more today legit than the 3 days i spent illegit, by a wide margin

#33 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

I think the legit community is bigger than the cheating community. Some people just grow up and get bored of trying to get hyper-rich.
But if we are talking about the people that actually is active on the neopets economy, I think that at least the third part of them uses scripts or ABers at some point.

I've made more money legitimately than I have with cheating so far.

I don't consider ABing a main source of neopoints, but an constant income of Np.
Sometimes you get busy IRL, or just want to do more things. You won't make as much Np as Rsing, but usually you'll have that option always available.

Edited by Ziz, 01 February 2011 - 09:05 PM.

#34 Dreww

Dreww
  • 552 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 08:56 PM

I don't consider ABing a main source of neopoints, but an constant income of Np.
Sometimes you get busy IRL, or just want to do more things. You won't make as much Np as Rsing, but usually you'll have that option always available.

What? I was just providing an example of a maller that did not cheat to pay for it.

#35 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

What? I was just providing an example of a maller that did not cheat to pay for it.

The quote wasn't directly talking about you. What I wanted to say is that I've seen some people saying things like:
"ohoo, so this is why I don't get anything on the shops"
"the ABers are the only ones capable of getting items at the magic shop"
"a human restocker has no chance aggainst an ABer"

I can't understand why some people see ABers like all-mighty programs that can do millions a day without getting caught.
The only real way to get millions of NP a day and not getting frozen is hardcore rsing (or snipping).
Even if you use proxies and all that, if you get too greedy ABing you'd end up getting caught.

Edited by Ziz, 01 February 2011 - 09:15 PM.

#36 Frank12

Frank12

• 276 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

The only real way to get millions of NP a day and not getting frozen is hardcore rsing (or snipping). ---- Yup, i totally agree *smiles*

#37 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:29 AM

My entire mallshop was funded legitimately. 38m+ in size increases and around 3m in stock. Being legit is amazingly easy considering how many shops have a few high-profile items you can camp out for. I've made more money legitimately than I have with cheating so far.

In my first main account, I did the same thing. A couple of plots and beating NQ got my somewhere around 12m NP, and I started my mall shop. I meant that after I started it, I realized what a pain it was to price all of those items, and so I used an autopricer, which is where the non-legit part came in. I got obsessed with efficiency and needed an easy way out, and that was my temptation!

#38 yeah

yeah
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:56 AM

Hard to tell, because one, illegit players don't exactly go around on the neoboards saying "look what I AB'd today" etc., and it really depends on what you consider illegit. Basically everyone I know who does key quest often play it 50-50 wins with a friend, including me, and there has been some debate over whether or not this is allowed. And then there's 99% of neopets that play games on their sides and send the NP to their main. Not real cheating but a "freezable offense" nevertheless. A lot of the seemingly-legit Neomallers have probably used an ABer and APer at one time (who can blame them, they have a size 600 shop) or another too.

#39 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:01 PM

I just hate the fact that buying and selling NP/accounts/pets is considered non-legit. If I made my NP by working hard and not cheating the system, aren't I allowed to profit off of it? And if someone's willing to pay for someone else's time, what's wrong with that? If there's a market for it, they should let it slide... but you can say this about any MMORPG currency, I guess. Still pushes my buttons, though.

#40 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:01 PM

I think in any aspect of the game, you need to be non-legit in SOME way to be the most efficient. For example... a huge mall shop would be a legit way to make lots of NP... but then, you think they're not using an autopricer? And after making all that NP, there must be some temptation to sell it for real $$$. There are so many things that make you non-legit that if you're doing it that way... you probably just haven't figured out how to do it any other way. :)

I remember PinkPt. Is their community still alive?

I used to have a legit mall account before, it was size 500 or so.

#41 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

<br />I just hate the fact that buying and selling NP/accounts/pets is considered non-legit. If I made my NP by working hard and not cheating the system, aren't I allowed to profit off of it? And if someone's willing to pay for someone else's time, what's wrong with that? If there's a market for it, they should let it slide... but you can say this about any MMORPG currency, I guess. Still pushes my buttons, though.<br />

Viacom is notoriously protective of their intellectual properties, so they flip their lids whenever someone sells their stuff for money. I mean, it was disallowed even before the Viacom takeover, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cracked down on it since they crap their pants whenever someone uploads a 30-second clip of Danny Phantom to YouTube.

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 02 February 2011 - 04:08 PM.

#42 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

Viacom is notoriously protective of their intellectual properties, so they flip their lids whenever someone sells their stuff for money. I mean, it was disallowed even before the Viacom takeover, but I wouldn't be surprised if they cracked down on it since they crap their pants whenever someone uploads a 30-second clip of Danny Phantom to YouTube.

But people still do it. So, why does it matter?

#43 iamlost26

iamlost26
  • 563 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 09:47 PM

I remember PinkPt. Is their community still alive?

I used to have a legit mall account before, it was size 500 or so.

PinkPT is barely kicking. Posts are sometimes days to weeks apart. A little sad too, since it was one of the only legit communities I had any respect for.

#44 cpvr

cpvr
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

PinkPT is barely kicking. Posts are sometimes days to weeks apart. A little sad too, since it was one of the only legit communities I had any respect for.

Ya, me too. I know the owner, Kym. I remember when I partnered up with them years ago. Why do you think the community died off?

#45 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 06:00 AM

But people still do it. So, why does it matter?

Viacom puts their insane belief system before logic, I suppose. I've never liked them, mostly for that reason. :U

#46 AyoForYayo

AyoForYayo
  • 503 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:37 PM

I know most "well-known" people on the ac/bdc

99% cheat

1% are pussy losers who are too scared to cheat but would if they wouldn't get caught.

Posted Image

#47 zevrom

zevrom
  • 411 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

I also think the legit community is way bigger than the cheating community since most of the people are against cheating and only a few are willing to do it

#48 rizler

rizler
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

there are many "hidden" cheaters out there i just started to talk to quite a few neopians on MSN and there as you know we can talk about whatever we want and found that most of them cheat nothing big time but they do autoplayers like Cellblock Pyramids share accounts etc so i think that the illegit might be slightly higher then legit
dont forget the BDers are the biggest cheaters of them all :p

#49 MisterDerp

MisterDerp
  • 261 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 06:03 PM

I also think the legit community is way bigger than the cheating community since most of the people are against cheating and only a few are willing to do it

I wonder if some of the people who pretend to be against autobuying are also autobuying. If someone admitted to autobuying on the boards, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone who secretly used an autobuyer cared enough to report them. Granted, you'd have to be pretty stupid and/or drunk to admit you autobuy in the first place.

Edited by PsychoSoldier, 09 February 2011 - 06:03 PM.

#50 Connery

Connery
  • 535 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

I wonder if some of the people who pretend to be against autobuying are also autobuying. If someone admitted to autobuying on the boards, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if someone who secretly used an autobuyer cared enough to report them. Granted, you'd have to be pretty stupid and/or drunk to admit you autobuy in the first place.

*cough*Monophyte*cough*

I mean, naturally you'd deny any association with something illegal and condemn its use in order to try and re-affirm to others that you don't participate in such activities, so I'm sure that's the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users