Nitwit!Oddment!Blubber!Tweak!

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Lollipopp

Lollipopp
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 05:59 PM

Any of you out there?
Are you sad that the movies are coming to an end. I, myself, was a complete wreck when the last book came out.

#2 Poptart

Poptart
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:07 PM

I am a fan, but not a fanatic. I love Harry Potter, but am no way emotionally attached to it. I figure the movies and books will always be there for me to enjoy, so no need to fret over it. :p

#3 Lollipopp

Lollipopp
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:08 PM

Haha I will proudly admit to being emotionally attached to it.
I was raised on it and as silly as it seems it got me through some rough times. So I'm sad to see it ending.

#4 Wil

Wil
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Read up to book four I think. After that I sort of lost interest. Cheers on that though. Book 7 part 2 will come out though right? I think.

#5 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:41 PM

I am a fan, but not a fanatic. I love Harry Potter, but am no way emotionally attached to it. I figure the movies and books will always be there for me to enjoy, so no need to fret over it. :p

I believe fan is a shortened form of the word fanatic.

Not to nit pick... but to nit pick... :p

Yeah... I definitely read all the books at least once. Never bothered with the movies after seeing a couple. They suck and eat away your imagination. Fuck the movies, get the books! :D

#6 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

I like Harry Potter. I too was raised on it since I was like 7 years old and I still write Harry Potter fanfictions :p

Still. I hated the last book. Harry should have died and couldn't my favorite character get more than one measly line about his death? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?!? (will forever be bitter about that. And if you're a hp fan you must know who this is...)

And the movies totally killed my image of said favorite character. I pictured like a young Clint Eastwood (I swear this man was hot even in like his 50s >_> ). Anyways, lanky, scared, at least semi-attractive and they gave me some totally unattractive man with an awkward mustache. What's with people and mustaches?

/rant

So yeah. 3rd movie I was going to stop but I watched 4th movie anyways because it was out in 3D

Edited by Kuro, 15 February 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#7 Lollipopp

Lollipopp
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

The books will forever be infinitely better then the movies but for me I just like to see them come to life (through someone elses POV).
The seventh is my favorite book :)

Edited by Lollipopp, 15 February 2011 - 08:16 PM.

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 04:52 AM

Still. I hated the last book. Harry should have died and couldn't my favorite character get more than one measly line about his death? IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK!?!? (will forever be bitter about that. And if you're a hp fan you must know who this is...)

JKR: p.s. oh, btw, Lupin is ded. LOL kid is an orphan.
p.p.s. Oh yeah, btw, Dumbledore is gay.*takes your money*
p.p.p.s. BABYCRUX!!!!!!!!!!

To save us all from a huge rant, let's just say I also hated the last book, and thusly, the entire series was pretty much tripe. I won't deny I had my fair share of enjoyment from the books, but the series as a whole: MEH. I do have a ton of Harry Potter toys, still in mint packaging. I imagine the only worth they have are the memories of when I expected the series to actually go somewhere. And perhaps in the future, should I ever be cursed with children, they might enjoy playing with these toys.

#9 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:27 AM

p.p.p.s. BABYCRUX!!!!!!!!!!

To save us all from a huge rant, let's just say I also hated the last book, and thusly, the entire series was pretty much tripe. I won't deny I had my fair share of enjoyment from the books, but the series as a whole: MEH. I do have a ton of Harry Potter toys, still in mint packaging. I imagine the only worth they have are the memories of when I expected the series to actually go somewhere. And perhaps in the future, should I ever be cursed with children, they might enjoy playing with these toys.

If you remove the final chapter. I loved the last book.

That is something that I always loved about harry potter. How realistic it was despite being about magic. You dont take on the most power full wizard and his army, without people dieing.

I believe fan is a shortened form of the word fanatic.

Not to nit pick... but to nit pick... :p

Yeah... I definitely read all the books at least once. Never bothered with the movies after seeing a couple. They suck and eat away your imagination. Fuck the movies, get the books! :D

No.

Fan and fanatic are completely differet.

Fans enjoy the books, fanatics are obsessed with the books.

#10 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

I love love love the books, didn't like the movies much. Only good thing that came out of those was Emily Watson. :p
Yeah, I will miss the series a lot. I wish the stories would continue.. I've read the books over like 3 times now and I don't want to have to read bad fanfics to get my HP fix. ;-; Sad.

#11 HeavenNEarth

HeavenNEarth
  • 133 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:40 AM

Movie > books :B I was never a reader I guess. Girls in my class were crazy over HP at a certain point of time.

#12 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:41 AM

That is something that I always loved about harry potter. How realistic it was despite being about magic. You dont take on the most power full wizard and his army, without people dieing.

Because it's totally realistic for redhaired teenagers and their fat mother to defeat dark wizards who for years have been well practiced in torturing and murdering people? I dunno...

#13 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:49 AM

Movie > books :B I was never a reader I guess. Girls in my class were crazy over HP at a certain point of time.

I weep for you

Because it's totally realistic for redhaired teenagers and their fat mother to defeat dark wizards who for years have been well practiced in torturing and murdering people? I dunno...

And? I've seen champions taken down by people all the time. Its not like the current boxing champions stays the same forever, new people come along, with new ideas, and better talents, and over throw that which is the current best.

And given that she was outnumbered, of course she was going to lose. No matter how good you are, numbers are always a weakness.

#14 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

I dont mind the Harry Potter series. They're a good read, i just dont think it deserves all the hype surrounding it.
A friend, who happens to be a huge fanatic, linked me to a fanfiction story (Harry Potter and The Dark Knight) a couple of months, i enjoyed that way more than any of the actual books.
It was a crossover between The Dark Knight and HP where they had Harry playing the Joker and Nevile as Bruce/Batman.
I'd say im a bigger fan of the HP universe than the actual books

edit: added link

Edited by iomega, 16 February 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#15 Roxi

Roxi
  • 499 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

I love the books. The movies, however... Nah, I'm glad to see them end. It's just like they're dragging it out now and it's getting on my nerves.

#16 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:06 PM

I like Harry Potter. I too was raised on it since I was like 7 years old and I still write Harry Potter fanfictions :p

And the movies totally killed my image of said favorite character. I pictured like a young Clint Eastwood (I swear this man was hot even in like his 50s >_> ). Anyways, lanky, scared, at least semi-attractive and they gave me some totally unattractive man with an awkward mustache. What's with people and mustaches?

/rant

So yeah. 3rd movie I was going to stop but I watched 4th movie anyways because it was out in 3D

i totally agree with EVERYTHING you said in this post. especially with that harry should have died thing....

#17 Moonsilver

Moonsilver
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

I dont mind the Harry Potter series. They're a good read, i just dont think it deserves all the hype surrounding it.
A friend, who happens to be a huge fanatic, linked me to a fanfiction story (Harry Potter and The Dark Knight) a couple of months, i enjoyed that way more than any of the actual books.
It was a crossover between The Dark Knight and HP where they had Harry playing the Joker and Nevile as Bruce/Batman.
I'd say im a bigger fan of the HP universe than the actual books

edit: added link

I have to agree with you. I've spent way more time reading and re-reading the good fan-fiction than I ever spent reading the books.
Mostly I've read time travel fics and alternate universe works. I love to read what people can do with the universe and characters.
I'll totally give that one a read. I haven't read too many crossovers. I really wish for a good B:tVS one.

#18 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

i totally agree with EVERYTHING you said in this post. especially with that harry should have died thing....

I weep for you too.

#19 Kido

Kido
  • 1046 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 07:53 PM

Ah come on iargue. You know you wanted Harry to die. It would have made sense and the ending wouldn't have been so....cheesy....o.0 :p

To me personally the HP books started to downgrade around the 5th book and I never found JRK THAT good of an author. Her plots aren't that special BUT she's made these really realistic characters that makes people want to get to know them and see them grow up/get into deep shit which is why I think HPs so popular. Also, she's created this whole world of her own. I could write HP fanfics for the rest of my life if I wanted to. There's just so much of that world that could be explored it's amazing.

Well in my perfect AU fanfiction universe he's not dead and that's all that matters :p And to be honest Dumbledore being gay didn't really bother me. It made sense and I found it pretty easy to accept

Edited by Kuro, 16 February 2011 - 07:57 PM.

#20 Philly

Philly
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:02 AM

I want to see that last movie! When the latest book came out I read it about 3 times in a week time. I honestly love the series, I grew up with them :)

#21 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:34 AM

Ah come on iargue. You know you wanted Harry to die. It would have made sense and the ending wouldn't have been so....cheesy....o.0 :p

To me personally the HP books started to downgrade around the 5th book and I never found JRK THAT good of an author. Her plots aren't that special BUT she's made these really realistic characters that makes people want to get to know them and see them grow up/get into deep shit which is why I think HPs so popular. Also, she's created this whole world of her own. I could write HP fanfics for the rest of my life if I wanted to. There's just so much of that world that could be explored it's amazing.

Well in my perfect AU fanfiction universe he's not dead and that's all that matters :p And to be honest Dumbledore being gay didn't really bother me. It made sense and I found it pretty easy to accept

No. I never wanted him to die and there was no reason for him to die. The prophecy said, "One cannot live while the other lives" So once one of them is dead, the other one gets to win. How would things have been god at all if Harry had died? So he worked so hard, and did all of this to just die? This isn't the Never Ending Story... Its not meant to be 100% sad. Enough people died as it was.

Dumbledore was never gay in the books. Regardless of if the writer thought of him as being gay, he shows no signs of being gay in the books.

#22 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

I weep for you too.

Posted Image

#23 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

If you remove the final chapter. I loved the last book.

No.

Fan and fanatic are completely differet.

Fans enjoy the books, fanatics are obsessed with the books.

Although I doubt many people hold you as a great source for English related knowledge, I still must disprove you here.

Let me give you the definition of 'fan'.

Definition of FAN
: any of various devices for winnowing grain
: an instrument for producing a current of air: as a : a device that is held in the hand and moved back and forth to cool a person and that is usually shaped like a segment of a circle and composed of material (as feathers or paper) mounted on thin rods or slats moving about a pivot so that the device may be closed compactly when not in use b : a device that consists of a series of vanes radiating from a hub rotated on its axle by a motor c slang : an airplane propeller
a : something resembling an open fan b : a gently sloping fan-shaped body of detritus; especially : alluvial fan

Here is the definition of 'fanatic'.

Definition of FANATIC
: marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion <they're fanatic about politics>

Although the term fan and fanatic may be commonly separated colloquially to denote varying delineations of enthusiasm, the term 'fan' as it was used above, was used as an abbreviated form of the word 'fanatic'.

And just to further prove my point (although I normally would never quote wiki to prove a point...)

Merriam-Webster, the Oxford dictionary, and other recognized sources define it as a shortened version of the word fanatic, and the word did first become popular in reference to an enthusiastic follower of a baseball team. (Fanatic itself, introduced into English around 1550, means "marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion". It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired". The word originally pertained to a temple or sacred place [Latin fanum, poetic English fane]. The modern sense of "extremely zealous" dates from around 1647; the use of fanatic as a noun dates from 1650.) The word emerged as an Americanism around 1889.

Thank You, Come Again!
Posted Image

#24 Poptart

Poptart
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

You guys really enjoy arguing over stupid shit, huh? And I am very impressed with your keen ability to use a dictionary, Cody. The simple fact is: I know what I meant when I said it.

#25 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

Although I doubt many people hold you as a great source for English related knowledge, I still must disprove you here.

Let me give you the definition of 'fan'.

Here is the definition of 'fanatic'.

Although the term fan and fanatic may be commonly separated colloquially to denote varying delineations of enthusiasm, the term 'fan' as it was used above, was used as an abbreviated form of the word 'fanatic'.

And just to further prove my point (although I normally would never quote wiki to prove a point...)

Thank You, Come Again!
Posted Image

One day you will realize that slang is not part of dictionaries for a reason.

I promise I wont even say I told you so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users