Photo

Being able to solve basic algebra problems in order to sign up

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

I've noticed lately a decrease in the intelligence of new Neocodex members, and I think in order to prevent that in the future, you should have to solve some basic algebra problems in order to sign up. A 13 year old should be able to do basic algebra.

Sound like a good idea? It would definitely eradicate any future bot signups as well.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:30 AM

W + T + F = ?

#3 CraigChrist

CraigChrist
  • 111 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 11:31 AM

1+3+3=7?

#4 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:14 PM

just because you can do basic algebra doesn't mean you have common sense. :thumbsup:

#5 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:16 PM

just because you can do basic algebra doesn't mean you have common sense. :thumbsup:

Not asking for common sense, just asking for basic intelligence and to prevent most people under 13 from joining

#6 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

My dad had us doing algebra when we were in Gr. 1. Along with taps on the head for getting anything wrong. Gotta watch out for the tiger cubs :p

Edited by Ladida, 28 March 2011 - 12:27 PM.

#7 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:30 PM

Not asking for common sense, just asking for basic intelligence and to prevent most people under 13 from joining

I think you underestimate those that are under 13.
But that depends on the type of algebra problem you're talking about..
I still don't agree. What's the goal of not wanting people under 13 to join? Because they're young and stupid.
Being able to do some basic algebra problems is.. minute intelligence. :p
If you really wanted to prevent less intelligent folks from joining, have more complex problems.
But it's still a dumb idea. I highly doubt this site would want to miss out on some possible revenue.

Edit:
Sorry, I've been snippy today. Apologies for sounding like an arse

Edited by Katrinas, 28 March 2011 - 12:36 PM.

#8 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 28 March 2011 - 12:35 PM

My parents beat the shit out of me if I didn't know upper classman math when I was 10~12. :(

#9 Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

What exactly is "basic intelligence"...?

#10 batryn

batryn
  • 220 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:55 PM

Wait... isn't algebra way different from this forum? Because you don't need algebra to do anything. I think that they should edit a sentence. Like spot what's wrong. "In the sentence: My dogs is rolling around the tree," what word is wrong?" And "What's the proper spelling of the word constipition?"

#11 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:22 PM

sorry if this post is like.... over a month late... a mod can decrease my post count idc... but

Wolfram alpha would make this really not work. The internet will just solve an algebra problem for you... especially a basic one.
Besides, how basic is basic....

Are we talking Pythagorean theorem or Quadratics here?

Edited by Joanna, 04 July 2011 - 09:54 PM.

#12 Ziz

Ziz
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Wait... isn't algebra way different from this forum? Because you don't need algebra to do anything. I think that they should edit a sentence. Like spot what's wrong. "In the sentence: My dogs is rolling around the tree," what word is wrong?" And "What's the proper spelling of the word constipition?"

What do you have against people that doesn't have english as their native language?

#13 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

It's not so much that they are unintelligent, it's more so that they don't understand simple social/forum protocol.

okay, some are also very unintelligent.

#14 alkjdksjdldskjsdakl

alkjdksjdldskjsdakl
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

If this were put into effect I wouldn't be here seeing as I never got passed grade 10. I work in a steel factory full time since I was in grade 9.

#15 Joanna

Joanna
  • 839 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

If this were put into effect I wouldn't be here seeing as I never got passed grade 10. I work in a steel factory full time since I was in grade 9.

You would though.... because you have the internet... unless you dont know how to use the internet........................................

This is a perfect example of how you cant equate intelligence with "common sense".

Edited by Joanna, 04 July 2011 - 10:26 PM.

#16 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^á´¥^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:11 PM

Instead of a math test it should be a reading comprehension test and it should cover etiquette of the forum like not asking questions that pinned topics addressed. Of course I'm sure someone's going to come up with an "answer key" of some kind and post it around other forums so then no one reads anyway. But that just means they get harsher punishments on the first offense since everything is expected to know the rules and implies any infraction to be deliberate.

Great idea or Greatest Idea?

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:37 PM

Im sure you will notice a decrease in the 'less intelligent' people signing up once the summer is over. It seems that whenever there is a long group of holidays etc, all of the 'less intelligent' people tend to come out of the woodwork. I say just leave it be, ignore them and move on. Mods will take care of any spammers/douches/whatever you wish to call them in due course.

Instead of a math test it should be a reading comprehension test and it should cover etiquette of the forum like not asking questions that pinned topics addressed. Of course I'm sure someone's going to come up with an "answer key" of some kind and post it around other forums so then no one reads anyway. But that just means they get harsher punishments on the first offense since everything is expected to know the rules and implies any infraction to be deliberate.

Great idea or Greatest Idea?

I believe if we WERE to introduce something in regards to registration of a new account, this is the best way to go about it. Make sure they've read the basic rules with a comprehension/questionnaire. I think scot's idea is a good one. +rep

Edited by Strategist, 04 July 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#18 wtfints

wtfints
  • 518 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Maybe TNT doesn't know algebra. Only know how to random freeze people.

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:45 PM

Maybe TNT doesn't know algebra. Only know how to random freeze people.

whats this got to do with TNT? I believe Toxic is talking about THIS forum not Neopets

Edited by Strategist, 04 July 2011 - 10:45 PM.

#20 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

make them reduce this to simplest terms

(2sec60/cot45)/(4csc^2 120/sin300)

whats this got to do with TNT? I believe Toxic is talking about THIS forum not Neopets

Let us direct ourselves to Scot's post and hang our heads in realization that the epitome of her post responds soon after.

#21 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

make them reduce this to simplest terms

(2sec60/cot45)/(4csc^2 120/sin300)

Let us direct ourselves to Scot's post and hang our heads in realization that the epitome of her HIS post responds soon after.

Scot is a person of the male variety :p

Edited by Strategist, 04 July 2011 - 10:54 PM.

#22 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Scot is a person of the male variety :p

Oh, I've always just looked at the avatar and presumed it was him. I don't pay attention to details, just the bigger picture!!!

Edited by kittycat, 04 July 2011 - 10:59 PM.

#23 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:07 PM

Oh, I've always just looked at the avatar and presumed it was him. I don't pay attention to details, just the bigger picture!!!

All good, im pretty sure everyone thinks that he is a she at least once XD I know i did until i saw him on Tinychat haha

#24 Pawn

Pawn
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

O_o I'm 19 and can't even do basic algebra XD I hate math with a passion. Besides, what's stopping people from using Wolfram Alpha to solve your basic algebra :p

Edited by Pawn, 04 July 2011 - 11:56 PM.

#25 lonewolf

lonewolf
  • 243 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:31 AM

+1 to this idea! itll stop the stupid questions and replies. But a basic algebra question wouldnt necessarily show common sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users