Photo

Being able to solve basic algebra problems in order to sign up

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 policepro

policepro
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

I think reading comprehension would be a better test then math because you can google math.

#27 kittycat

kittycat
  • 633 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

I think reading comprehension would be a better test then math because you can google math.

I don't think that that's a bad thing, because at least it shows initiative to seek answers out independently, a lot more than what most people have.

#28 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:22 PM

Reading comprehension would be unfair because of all the foreign language people.

#29 ThreeDollarBill

ThreeDollarBill
  • 252 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

Reading comprehension would be unfair because of all the foreign language people.

But still, I have noticed that some people that spam the most and post 0-contribution stuff are foreign language people. Just the ones that go to the Introductions or General Chat area and post things like:
"hellp i need help ambrosia dont work it only say missed..it only keep miss thing" or reply to posts with "lol/rofl/hahahaha".
It's only natural that people whose native language is not English start posting these things, because if they don't have a certain degree of knowledge for that language, this type of posts will be the only ones that they'll be able to make. And remember that we're trying to prevent that, so these reading comprehension tests will be ideal to prove that new members can, at least, maintain a normal conversation with the rest of the community.

Edited by IceSandwich, 16 July 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#30 iomega

iomega
  • 1070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Their language skills (or lack of) won't stop them from buying a subscription.

#31 Sammiantha

Sammiantha
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

Scot's idea is a good one. If there was some sort of test prior to sign up, as I've seen on previous (non-neo related boards) it would deter some people from signing up and encourage others to actually read the rules.

#32 Kyouma

Kyouma
  • 496 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

http://www.wolframalpha.com/

your math screening just found its match

Totally up for some screening process though

Edited by Kyouma, 31 July 2011 - 07:53 AM.

#33 Jake

Jake
  • 2701 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:43 AM

I think you underestimate those that are under 13.
But that depends on the type of algebra problem you're talking about..
I still don't agree. What's the goal of not wanting people under 13 to join? Because they're young and stupid.

I joined this website when I was 11 or 12, look how great I ended up! I say let the juniors join because a bunch of oldies on here were in the same boat as myself.

#34 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:46 AM

I joined this website when I was 11 or 12, look how great I ended up! I say let the juniors join because a bunch of oldies on here were in the same boat as myself.

I think in my post I was trying to say that young != stupid but I'm not sure considering that was like 4 months ago :p

#35 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 August 2011 - 07:49 AM

The converse isn't true either though. Look at abradix. he was 42.

#36 DoNotAnnoyMe

DoNotAnnoyMe
  • 157 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

why not mix reading comprehension and algebra?
i.e. simple word problems basically along the lines of math-oriented lenny conundrums
"trivial" (those who don't know it can google it up without issues) problems packed in a little text to make it rather hard to solve it automatically

#37 Musician

Musician
  • 669 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I second Scot's idea.
It's so much better than math, where one can just plug the equation into Google and get the answer. =.=

However, if we give them, say, a whole page of Neocodex's rules and ask them to answer a few questions, then they'd really have to search for it. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users