Photo

Must have Linux apps?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robawtic

Robawtic
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

I was just wondering what some of your favorite linux apps are. Really don't do much on my home computer anymore but it's always nice to see what is going on with software these days.

#2 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:06 PM

the terminal

#3 Robawtic

Robawtic
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:14 PM

the terminal

lol, true story where would one be without the terminal? probably not on linux.

#4 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

Dropbox is a good one

VirtualBox is really great cause I hate the openoffice/libreoffice suite and i can use ms office instead.

if you're using KDE it comes with "Kate" which is a fantastic text editor.

and like pyro said, the terminal is your best friend =P

#5 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1543 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

If you were using a terminal and not on a linux machine, you would be on a mac; but 'objects' that use mac are not considered people to me.

Depends what you really want to do :p as a programmer i make sure i have the following:
  • open ssh
  • python 2.7
    • django
    • python libs
  • logmein hammachi
  • gedit (comes with most linux distros)

I prefer linux for how easy it is to set up a personal development environment that you can easily customize. Make sure you edit your ~/.bashrc rile

etc...

#6 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:44 PM

If you were using a terminal and not on a linux machine, you would be on a mac; but 'objects' that use mac are not considered people to me.

Depends what you really want to do :p as a programmer i make sure i have the following:

• open ssh
  • python 2.7
    • django
    • python libs
  • logmein hammachi
  • gedit (comes with most linux distros)

I prefer linux for how easy it is to set up a personal development environment that you can easily customize. Make sure you edit your ~/.bashrc rile

etc...

this is very true. one of the QA testers where I used to work would often have upwards of 30-50 terminals open each ssh'd into a different machine. so tailoring your .bashrc to your needs is a must.

#7 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:02 AM

must have apps - Apps that have ALL the fucking requirements you have to do deal with. Linux made me rage with that bullshit. Oh, you need this program, oh wait, no, you have to have the previous requirement to get the program you currently need. OH WAIT YOU NEED THE PREVIOUS REQUIREMENT FOR THAT PROGRAM ALSO. IT JUST GOES ON AND ON.

Then you finally find out you don't need those apps and need to uninstall them. A few hours down the drain. True story.

#8 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2011 - 03:01 PM

must have apps - Apps that have ALL the fucking requirements you have to do deal with. Linux made me rage with that bullshit. Oh, you need this program, oh wait, no, you have to have the previous requirement to get the program you currently need. OH WAIT YOU NEED THE PREVIOUS REQUIREMENT FOR THAT PROGRAM ALSO. IT JUST GOES ON AND ON.

Then you finally find out you don't need those apps and need to uninstall them. A few hours down the drain. True story.

this is not the case if you're using a package manager, like APT or zypper, but instead installing each one manually from source or from a binary package.

I ran into this problem once myself but I didn't have the choice of using "apt" because I needed a specific version of the packages. But even in that case I only installed 2 or 3 programs from source and used apt to fetch their dependencies.

What exactly were you doing that had to resort to this?

#9 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

I was trying to install a dedicated server for left 4 dead 2 on a virtual private server :p

#10 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

I was trying to install a dedicated server for left 4 dead 2 on a virtual private server :p

Sounds fun :p

What did you use for the server? And the hypervisor?

#11 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Sounds fun :p

What did you use for the server? And the hypervisor?

This :p

http://chunkhost.com/

I was just using valve software as well.

If you want to support me you can use this link if you sign up for the free beta.

http://chunkhost.com/r/toxicsnipe

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users