Photo

Neo under attack possibly?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 Runic

Runic
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm not trying to be paranoid, I'm just trying to come to a final theory for this recent mess. Cause my friends on Leo do mean a lot to me. xD;;

So, while I don't know much of what went down, OldNeo had an issue recently; something about Brazilian users. Apparently they were chatting on the forums in their own language, and the staff had asked them kindly to either type in English or leave; cause no one on staff could speak the language.
It is a fansite, so to put money into a translator admin is very costly obviously.

When the group refused to comply, the owner IP banned them as well as IP banning the entire country, to prevent retaliation.

I don't think that method worked too well.

In my theory, that group is behind the hacking.
OR, if it isn't considered a hacking, the fact that those users brought up the issues of OldNeo, on the real Neo...I think people were claiming OldNeo to be a CG site, setting off a scare on Neo.

With that said, TNT may be looking into these fansites, and have wiped out a majority of the users on Leopets.
A couple of other fansites might be the next target, depending if this is the case.

We've ruled out that inactivity within the last several years does not make Neo users safe; many of my friends lost accounts even though they hadn't logged into those accounts forever and a day.
We've also ruled out that non-Leo or non-fansite members are safe; many of those people have lost accounts too, despite having no relations with Leo.
We've confirmed that all emails and passwords to other sites (such as Youtube or bank accounts) have not been targeted. So far as we've heard.

We still haven't figured out why some of us haven't been hit, but I'm thinking it's a Wave effect; they've wiped out as many users as possible on the first round; the next hit could be any time.
We're thinking it's all IP related, and that there's a hit list, but we're just contemplating on these ideas.

The other clue is that we're all getting the same message: "Account frozen for protection". So this could mean that TNT is looking into these fansites, and that there is no actual hacking.
They might just be questioning the fansites since the scare with OldNeo's incident.
And for protection, they froze most of us.

tl;dr: there may or may not be a hacker. It could be stemmed from the incident on OldNeo, and now TNT may be looking into these fansites. Thus, we've been iced until TNT has confirmed that we are not CGers or dangerous sites.

#27 RWS

RWS
  • 596 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 07:09 PM

Yikes, that's pretty sad news. I'm glad that I never joined any of those sites now. If the databases were compromised, it could be thousands of players that got iced.

#28 zow

zow
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:46 AM

Not been iced so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users