#1 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:21 AM

www.db-class.org

What is this, I don't even
Introduction To Databases is a free online course taught by Professor Jennifer Widom,Stanford University. It is taught in the format of an online course and will require you to keep up with weekly lecture videos and quizzes. I'll be taking this course this semester to learn more about databases and most likely use this space as a discussion forum. Enrollment is now open. Classes officially start October 10, 2011 but the first week's material is already up so you can get a head start.

Course Description
This course covers database design and the use of database management systems for applications. It includes extensive coverage of the relational model, relational algebra, and SQL. It also covers XML data including DTDs and XML Schema for validation, and the query and transformation languages XPath, XQuery, and XSLT. The course includes database design in UML, and relational design principles based on dependencies and normal forms. Many additional key database topics from the design and application-building perspective are also covered: indexes, views, transactions, authorization, integrity constraints, triggers, on-line analytical processing (OLAP), and emerging "NoSQL" systems.

Frequently Asked Questions
1. What background do I need?

The course does not assume prior knowledge of any specific topics, however a solid computer science foundation -- a reasonable amount of programming, as well as knowledge of basic computer science theory -- will make the material more accessible.

2. Is a textbook required?

Detailed lecture notes are provided. Having a textbook in addition to the notes is not necessary, but you might want to purchase one for reference, to reinforce the core material, and as a source of additional exercises. Suggested textbooks and readings are listed as part of the materials you'll see after you register.

3. Will students receive a Stanford certificate or grade for completing the course?

No. You will receive a statement of accomplishment from the instructor, which will include information on how well you did and how your performance compared to other online students. Only students admitted to Stanford and enrolled in the regular course can receive credit or a grade, so this is not a Stanford certificate.

4. Can online students ask questions and/or contact the professors?

A discussion forum is included as part of the course website. Questions not answered by other students will be answered by the teaching staff; top-ranked questions will be discussed by the instructor in a weekly video.

As a sidenote: Stanford is also offering Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning courses in the same format. Classes start October 10, 2011.

#2 Ladida

Ladida
  • Night Owl 🌛

• 2152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

Ahh, the AI course notice was sent out for this from a lecturer at my univ. I signed up for that in September :p Just graduated and working, and now I want to study again :/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users