• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:18 AM

What do you guys think?

The tech specs on the nexus prime seem amazing:

According to our source, the device codenamed Nexus Prime is going to ship with Samsung's own chipset, with a blazingly fast dual-core processor clocked at 1.5GHz. But wait, there's more.

On that chipset will also reside a powerful dual-core GPU from Imagination. We suspect it's going to be the PowerVR SGX543MP2, or in other words, the same GPU found in the iPad 2 (and quite probably on the iPhone 4S as well).

On the back, instead of the 5-megapixel snapper, our source claims, there's an 8-megapixel, full 1080p HD video-shooting camera with some sort of an improved sensor. As for the battery, expect a 2050mAh one (do we hear a whoa?), which should be good for a couple of days use without charging.

The Nexus Prime will also be LTE-enabled, but the most interesting part is that it would probably boast a dual-mode GSM/CDMA radio, just like the Apple iPhone 4S.

All those specifications sound almost too nice to be true, but keeping in mind the advertisement for the Nexus Prime, prompting us that "something BIG is coming", we won't be surprised if all of these purported specs turn out to be real.

What we do know for sure is that the head-turning 4.65-inch, 1280x720 pixels screen is definitely a go. Whatever the truth might be, we'll definitely find out on October 11, which is just a few days from now.

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:20 AM

For the same price you could get a decent-spec laptop or a good spec desktop PC. :p I can't justify spending so much on a phone regardless of how good it is relatively...

#3 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:22 AM

It sounds like they just ripped off the iphone...

#4 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:27 AM

Rumors vs Facts = hard to compare.

For instance, the Samsung Galaxy S II that has already been released has a dual core 1.2 ghz processor but the bench marks show the iPhone 4s is still a largely faster phone with it's dual core 800 mhz processor.

Screen size is a big issue. Both to me seem to be bad though. The iphone at 3.5 inches is too small and the Prime, assuming 4.65 inches, is way too big. I think Samsung did it right with the Galaxy S II at 4.3 inches. Any bigger is a tablet. Yes the true high def screen resolution is nice, but not at the cost of not being able to fit it in my pocket.

Camera comparison is gonna be important when it comes down to the fine details, however at both being 8MP with 1080p video recording they are really gonna be almost identical. Sure one or the other may have a larger light flow or more editing options but at the end of the day the differences are gonna be so tiny that it really doesn't matter. Really what kind of pictures do you expect to get from a phone. It has already replaced point and shoot cameras. It's never going to replace DSLRs.

Really it comes down to software. Do you prefer androids vastly more customization interface with the ability to use flash and download movies and music straight from the web? or do you prefer the very intuitive and classy design of the iPhone with the vastly higher quality app market.

TL;DR both are amazing, just depends on preference.

Also: if this iPhone is anything like the past ones, it will still be a top contender in a year when a new one comes out. However any android phone out will be obsolete in three months.

#5 Guest_jcrgirl_*

Guest_jcrgirl_*

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:29 AM

I wish I had a smart phone... or a phone that could actually text people. Jeez... People expect so much out of their phone when the only thing mine can do is store contacts and call people Posted Image

#6 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:30 AM

I think iPhone's biggest selling point is its following. At least on paper, the Android looks like a much better phone, but the coolness factor, the siri support, and the ease of use makes it a more popular product. It's no wonder its won jd power award for the 5th year in a row. Consumers don't necessarily care about raw power.

#7 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:33 AM

Also: if this iPhone is anything like the past ones, it will still be a top contender in a year when a new one comes out. However any android phone out will be obsolete in three months.

Well said bro!

#8 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:34 AM

I think iPhone's biggest selling point is its following. At least on paper, the Android looks like a much better phone, but the coolness factor, the siri support, and the ease of use makes it a more popular product. It's no wonder its won jd power award for the 5th year in a row. Consumers don't necessarily care about raw power.

whatchu talkin bout willis? Paper shows that the iPhone is vastly better than any current android ( obviously the prime hasn't been bench marked yet )

Posted Image

Source

there are several other benchmarks that show something very similar to this.

Several other benchmarks that show other tests. The only two devices to beat the iPhones 4S in any benchmark is the Samsung Tab and the iPad 2.

#9 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:18 AM

I (along with a lot of consumer magazines) like to the think of the iPhone 4s as the coming of a bunch of faster phones and allegedly the 4s is the lowest. We should be seeing 4 or 5 Nexus-Prime level devices coming out. At least so I hear

#10 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:28 AM

I support the iPhone due to its innovation. For the past several years, I have watched as every version of the iPhone continues to begin a wave of phones with similar technology, only slightly altered and put onto their own platform with their own look. Is it coincidence that they all compare themselves to the iPhone in their advertisements? Just like the pasted text on the Nexus Prime from the OP, the iPhone sets the standard that is followed by everyone else. If these other manufacturers would actually break the mold and do something different for a change, maybe I would switch. But as it stands, I'm sticking with the iPhone.

#11 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

I agree with pretty much everything that has been posted here... The rumored specs on the nexus prime sound awesome. However, you can look at any of the benchmark tests iPhone vs. Android and the iPhone out performs with less RAM and an under clocked processor every time as iOS is incredibly lightweight.

As many of you know, I work directly in technical support for a mega-carrier in the U.S., and thus I am incredibly familiar with the devices on the market and their flaws. I take escalated calls for agents all day and everyone is constantly crying, yelling, screaming, and cursing because they just can't stand their android phone and all of the countless problems they've experienced over 3,4,5,6,7+ replacement devices that they've received. They all beg and beg for the IPhone but end up having to wait for their upgrade date.

I'm not going to totally bash Android as a platform (though I do see issues with android devices 1000 to 1 at work). Android is a good platform for customization.... but with that comes an open source market (i.e. Better watch out for spyware/viruses etc.) I also wish the iPhone 4S had a larger screen.... I think 4.6 in is waayyyy too large.... Hell, I actually think 4.3 is a little too large. But a 4 inch screen would have been nice. =/

The real proof for me was just in the pudding. My iPhone has never powered itself off and then back on. In all my time owning an iPhone, I've only had to do a soft reset (equivalent to taking the battery out of an android phone) once. How many 1 year+ owners of androids can say the same?

As Cory said, this nexus prime may be awesome today, but in 3 to 6 months, it will certainly not be #1... and the iPhone will still remain at the top.

(fragmented post is fragmented.)

P.s. I think a further example was the droid bionic. Everyone was so stoked for that phone and waited over a year for it to be released. It was released just a couple of weeks ago and the nexus prime will launch soon enough, and the bionic is going to be considered outdated and old.

#12 Coilvect

Coilvect
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Honestly with all of the talk about the Prime/4s I...went back to my old Nokia brick. The most I ever use my phones for is texting and tethering. Other than that I'm able to do whatever on my Galaxy Tab.

#13 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:59 AM

some people dont have the luxury of owning two devices myself included

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users