android and htc phones

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:33 AM

My current Android version is 2.3.3 but there are many more higher versions out I press update on my phone but it says there is no updates...are the other versions of OS only available for certain phones? I'm in the UK and have a HTC desire s.

#2 Sida

Sida
  • Tsvetesman

• 3865 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:35 AM

My current Android version is 2.3.3 but there are many more higher versions out I press update on my phone but it says there is no updates...are the other versions of OS only available for certain phones? I'm in the UK and have a HTC desire s.

Not all phones support all versions of android. However, this doesn't mean it won't work on these phones. You can probably install a custom ROM and kernel on a higher version. Just check how well developed the kernel is before going ahead.

#3 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:40 AM

They lag behind because HTC has to edit the source to include all their stuff too like the HTC Sense overlay etc so it's not just vanilla Android.

#4 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:44 AM

Ok thanks was just wondering I don't want to mess with unofficial buggy stuff so will stick to what o know thanks :)

#5 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Check out http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=628

I flashed my android phone samsung galaxy i5800 to custom firmware and I increased my battery life from 2 days to 5 days. It's pretty awesome.

#6 Robert

Robert
  • 6934 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:13 AM

Check out http://forum.xda-dev...splay.php?f=628

I flashed my android phone samsung galaxy i5800 to custom firmware and I increased my battery life from 2 days to 5 days. It's pretty awesome.

I don't understand any of that on there lol so it like me updating my windows xp to a complete custom version?

#7 ToxicS

ToxicS
  • 2580 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:14 AM

Pretty much, but this looks promising: http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1045824

#8 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:42 PM

I don't understand any of that on there lol so it like me updating my windows xp to a complete custom version?

It's more like taking off your windows xp install + OEM crap cosftware and installing a cleaner windows xp on your computer.

But yeah, I'd recommend installing a custom rom on your phone (I have a htc desire and was on Redux for about half a year but now am on Cyanogenmod) because the battery life improves drastically and it's generally much much better and prettier and sexier.

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:34 AM

It's more like taking off your windows xp install + OEM crap cosftware and installing a cleaner windows xp on your computer.

But yeah, I'd recommend installing a custom rom on your phone (I have a htc desire and was on Redux for about half a year but now am on Cyanogenmod) because the battery life improves drastically and it's generally much much better and prettier and sexier.

I have a ZTE Blade and it's drastically improved from the stock 2.1 Android by using Cyanogenmod, especially when Ice Cream Sandwich will be coming in Cyanogenmod 9 in a couple of months.

#10 HuskySiberiano

HuskySiberiano
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

I have an old Motorolla Quench... with android 1.5...
It's really safe installing a rom?
And is it pratical?

#11 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2011 - 04:44 AM

I have an old Motorolla Quench... with android 1.5...
It's really safe installing a rom?
And is it pratical?

You'd have to check if there's any custom ROMs available for that phone but it's simple enough to do, it only took me like 5 minutes to get a working ROM running.

http://wiki.cyanogen...ll_Update_Guide

There you go.

#12 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:23 PM

I got a Galaxy Ace this past weekend, and now I just have to wait for Cynanogenmod to release the official ROM. ): I'm impatient.
Hopefully I can get it on my phone without too much trouble.. I'm not tech savvy at all. /:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users