• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 Noitidart

Noitidart
  • Neocodex Co-Founder

• 23214 posts

Users Awards

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Vanilla WoW was a thing of glory... A true RPG. The path to level 60 was paved with blood, sweat and tears especially since I was on Emerald Dream (one of the first RP-PvP servers). Blue items were actually rare, epic items actually were totally epic. I remember farming for months to get my hunter his Rohk'delar. Oh the hours I spent with complete strangers on the internet, the long nights spent farming fire resist for Molten Core, longer nights farming Blackwing Lair in hopes to get us geared enough for Naxxramas... Then came the Burning Crusade expansion...

Within the first 3 or 4 levels, all of the gear I had farmed for months was suddenly obsolete... Somehow that was OK because there was an entire new world to explore, it was diverse and immersive, well thought out and constructed even better. Do you remember the first time you saw a Felreaver stomping around Hellfire Peninsula? Unforgettable. The guild raced to 70, this time the grind was a cake walk when compared to the hell that was 50-60, so hitting 70 felt like less of an accomplishment... Then they dropped the level requirement for mounts, and the exp required to level... More and more casual it became, which was still OK... Because we enjoyed seeing some fresh blood in the guild (even if they did all happen to be Blood Elves...). Then it was back to the raids, Karazhan and Gruul and Tempest Keep... More months spent with my stranger-friends deep inside the bowels of the internet farming pixels.

Finally came Wrath of the Lich King... Taking my first step into Northrend was nowhere near exciting. It was bland to say the very least. The quests were largely unimaginative and the scenery ranged from snow to blighted forest to snow... to blighted forest again... This time the grind was even easier than before, I felt no sense of accomplishment at all for hitting level 80. And you can now get your mount at 20... Oh and it also costs 1/6th what it used to. More and more and MORE casual... The fresh blood was still coming into the guild, but now it seemed more like blood that was freshly infested with AIDs. There was no sense of skill among these hand-fed newbies... And finally, the straw that broke the camel's back... You can now buy minipets... With real money! I was almost instantaneously snapped out of the dream-state that I had been in for over 3 years. Apparently my $15 a month wasn't enough... Maybe the endless grind for levels and then for gear was just meant to keep me running on my treadmill, always paying my dues. Maybe this game wasn't about fun or excitement for the players anymore, but simply about keeping the money rolling in. This was probably always the case, but it was never more obvious than in the WotLK expansion. I listed my account on craigslist, sold it for $500 of the over $600 I had paid into it and never looked back.

Perhaps one day I'll pick it up again... When/if its no longer pay to play... But after Blizzard merged with Activision I'm pretty sure they lost sight of everything besides profit margins. WoW provided me with some of my most memorable moments in gaming, its just a tragedy that they decided making money was more important than providing the people playing the game with an enjoyable experience. WotLK was the death of WoW for most of the gamers I knew in vanilla. Its for the casuals now. R.I.P.

Yep it's just to keep the money rolling. Good job bro stay out of it.

#27 Boggart

Boggart
  • Professional Napper

• 7981 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:39 AM

I would say that WotLK that WoW was basically dying. I wont' deny that BC probably destroyed the experience for most people who played vanilla for soooo long to get their equipment, but WotLK was purely to get some semblance of money left because a lot of people already stopped playing anyway

#28 Georgina

Georgina
  • 2216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

Something stupid like this happens and I leave, but then 6 months later I get that craving and I join up again, to be honest the main turn off for me is the amount of kids on the game now, When it first came out it was pretty much an older crowd, like 18+ but for the last two years every time I enter a random dungeon I get some little shit going "omg how do I do this blah blah HELP ME IM ONLY 12". Ugh, I hate kids on games, and lets face it this whole new Panda thing is gonna attract more little kids than before, great.

#29 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

I would say that WotLK that WoW was basically dying. I wont' deny that BC probably destroyed the experience for most people who played vanilla for soooo long to get their equipment, but WotLK was purely to get some semblance of money left because a lot of people already stopped playing anyway

I disagree because technically every raid patch in Vanilla destroyed the experience for people who spent so long to get their equipment. Equipment becomes obsolete as soon as a new tier comes out even in Vanilla.

Also WOTLK was better than BC in my opinion. It had better zones, better story line, better dungeons, no REP grind for dungeon keys. and most importantly NO mace stun.

Edited by frostz, 24 October 2011 - 07:00 PM.

#30 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

"omg how do I do this blah blah HELP ME IM ONLY 12".

At least your party members talked to you, I pretty much go through the dungeons in silence, other than the occasional ragefest because things didn't go exactly how they wanted it to go, even though they didn't even care to explain their strategy.

#31 willy101

willy101
  • 337 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:23 PM

so basically wow now has pokemon battles lols so bad

#32 frostz

frostz
  • 594 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:49 PM

so basically wow now has pokemon battles lols so bad

There is nothing wrong with optional content, complaining about optional content is the same as complaining about annoying daily quests. Simply don't participate it if you do not like it.

Besides it gives a purpose for these useless companion pets anyway.

#33 Stitches

Stitches
  • 282 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:50 PM

Hey, I'm new here. Been playing since mid-BC, no plans to quit anytime soon. Heh. Anyway in regards to MoP, I'm waiting it out. Contrary to popular belief, Blizz aren't a bunch of idiots. And Pandaren have been in Warcraft lore since before there even was a WoW. It was theirs long before the shitty Jack Black movie. Change can be a good thing!

This was on the EU forums yesterday and ended up getting reposted everywhere, made me lol. Basically sums it up I think... (wall of text inc)

I am unhappy about the announced expansion. So because of that, I am going to vent my anger at everyone on this forum, because I expect you all to somehow care about what I think, despite the fact that you don't know me or have any reason to care, I will nontheless tell you anyway.I have been playing this game for an amount of time, which somehow makes my opinion worth something. And based on that, I think that Pandaren will totally destroy this game.

There are any number of reasons why. Here are some of them.

1- The inclusion of these pandas will make the game very childish. I want a game full of magic and dragons which is not childish. I want a very serious and grown-up game where I can throw fireballs at goblins without pandas anywhere.

2- There is no lore about Pandaren at all, and this somehow means that the developers shouldn't try to make any or create any. Creativity sucks. I want the same kind of thing we have seen a hundred times before.

3- The inclusion of Pandaria and its exotic oriental atmosphere will totally ruin the exotic atmosphere of the game. Just like how the inclusion of Outland and the exotic atmosphere of it ruined Azeroth before.

4- Pandas are dumb.

5- Having semi-animal type people will attract furries to the game. I'm glad we don't have any of them already.

6- Pandaren are a joke race. They are only there for comedy. Blizzard has never made joke races playable before. So they shouldn't now. And on that subject, goblins are totally serious and not a joke, guys.

Despite the fact that this game is the most popular MMO on the market, this expansions clearly shows that it is dying. Don't ask me to explain why, it just is. I am going to switch to Star Wars instead, because clearly that is a franchise that still has a lot of life left in it, and has very very grown-up races like wookies and ewoks.

I also noticed that they are wanting to make it possible for our vanity pets to DO THINGS!! WTF is up with that? I like my pets to just sit there and look nice and be utterly inactive. Doing things is stupid.

So yeah, good job Blizzard, I am totally quitting this game for ever and ever and ever, until I come back. Which I won't. Promise. Hah! You guys are totally losing out here. While you're playing with your childish martial arts bears, I'll be swinging around a laser sword and zapping bad guys like a real grown-up gamer!

I really hope Blizzard loses all of its subscribers because of this, because they deserve to be punished because of my dislike of their development choices! That would definitely teach them for making a game with this type of content. I pray for their financial destruction, because I am SO INSANELY RIDICULOUSLY ANGRY at this for some reason!!

(Posted Image)

Edited by Sinn, 27 October 2011 - 01:57 PM.

#34 DreadPirateRoberts

DreadPirateRoberts
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

i may reorder just to play at the start, nothing beats the rush of racing for sever firsts.

i'm just waiting out for blizzards next mmo, some of my friends are going to be playing SW: the old republic so i may check that out too.

#35 Faerhii

Faerhii
  • 182 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

First off, I played WoW from beta vanilla to top tier WotLK.. I didn't quit because I didn't like it, I quit because I spent almost 4 years with a man who ignored me for WoW and I used WoW as a bandaid and a reason for him to praise me. ( "Wow baby! You were the top healer in all four of our raids this week, have a cuddle" style.. pathetic ) After leaving him and moving, I got a job and a new man and I just didn't have the time for it. I've thought of re-joining, but this expansion will kill those urges.. While I like the land design of Pandara.. I do feel a concern that was already mentioned..

While Pandarens have been in warcraft history, I do feel this is bad timing. Children love Kung Fu Panda.. And while this has nothing to do with Blizzard, I think it will attract far to many younger children to WoW. While I didn't mind the occasional 16-18 year old in my group, I feel there could be seeing 10 or youngers on here now.

Personally though, I think they could fix this by forcing identification and segregating anything under 16 to their own servers, and to be COPPA complient, make them unable to whisper other players, heavily moniter their communication.. all that.

If they did that, I'd play WoW again.

#36 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:34 AM

I was going to make a WoW thread but I found this one. I've been playing since 6 months before BC release. During s1 in BC I was adopted by some cool players, learned how to keybind and ended up getting r1 merc glad s2, glad s4 and a bunch of server 1st titles during WOTLK. I was in the guild exodus on ysondre during wotlk and was in the 1st kill yogg scandal :p I recently sold my acc, but heres some pics and my thread. I use to play with Audio, Tommyo, Filovirus, Cprawr aka Cdewz now back in TBC/wotlk. I chose school over wow and I'm glad I did. I did an AMA on the wow reddit thread a year ago or so but it was on a throwaway acc so if you find the post the link it here!

Album: http://imgur.com/a/hZXuN#0

Post for proof I guess: http://www.maskedcru...html#post598026

- Made an edit post on the bottom of the 1st post

I didn't like MOP, hit 90 on my paladin and went to sell!

Edited by Bear, 10 April 2013 - 11:59 AM.

#37 Boochi

Boochi
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

I quit WoW for a while after Cata came out. Then came back for MoP, then quit again because it got boring. Wow's been pretty dead lately compare to a long time ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users