Quantcast

Photo

Would you rather live in a world where Harry Potter were real or pokemon?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#51 softboiled

softboiled
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

POKEMON POKEMON POKEMON EDJEDH3U9DJDENKDES HOW IS EVERYBODY NOT CHOOSING POKEMON
i would hug all their little pokemon faces off and travel the world and marry brock.

#52 March

March
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

Defs Pokemon, my mom never let me have pets so I could just go out on my own into the world and catch as many as I want to. 10 year olds can roam the countryside without fear, that sounds a hell of a lot safer than Harry Potter world.

#53 Protoman

Protoman
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:48 PM

I'd prefer the gotta catch em all attitude of Pokemon over the gotta kill em all attitude of Harry Potter's Voldemort

Not much for dying or being killed if you know what I mean Posted Image

#54 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Honestly the only reason Voldemort is even possible as a threat is due to plot device. In a place with a theoretically unblockable and spammable death spell, "unless your aim is exceptionally bad, or someone jumps in the way of the beam" that can be learned by anyone who genuinely wants to kill something, you'd think Voldemort would already have been assassinated or at least killed by Dumbledore in their duel if he had bothered to use that spell. Same goes for Dumbledore, he only lives because of plot device. If Voldemort really wanted him out of the way why did their battle consist of transmutations and elemental magic instead of death spell spamming?

Especially when you take into consideration the fact that Voldemort unlike many real world terrorists that everyone wants to kill doesn't actually hide out in caves in the middle of nowhere with his followers doing all his dirty work. He likes to walk in and demonstrate his magical might and superiority. He would have been killed hundreds of times over, since unlike the D&D universe, the protection spells that were ever shown in Harry Potter are pretty weak and are mostly reactionary. Meaning that if he does not see an attack coming it will probably always hit instead of being deflected by a precast magical defense. (and again its pretty much stated that there is no defense against the death spell, Failures by people who know what they are doing that were depicted were always the result of something getting in the way, so we can also assume that with bad aim the spell can miss)

Unlike many settings with magic, Voldemort is not the sole magic user or the ruler of a group who has a monopoly on magic in a certain realm or country. He is not trying to take over the "muggle" world where no one but a few can bend reality but the magical one where everyone can use magic. Its therefore "realistically" impossible for him to ever gain any sort of permanent power base or support when we take into account that anyone could probably just fly around on a broom and snipe him without realizing it with a death spell (again there is no mention of any durational or static magical protections that blocks curses or dark magic, though there are some that can block elemental magics for a period of time. All curses have always been blocked with a wand, or protego (reactionary shield spell) and other types of attacks such as summons and elemental magic have always been blocked through quick transmutations and conjurations never shields or spells of resistance to elements)

Also if anyone even Harry Potter and his friends can use the Imperius curse (mind control curse) in the final book without any actual training then why wouldn't someone have just used it on Voldemort already or at least to mass spam the spell at his followers when they start marching around in public (Saying they would not be used because its illegal doesn't really apply, i mean no one put Harry and friends in jail for using the unforgivable curses against the antagonists anyway, these things get overlooked if the situation calls for it)? There is no depiction of the enchantment ever being resisted or blocked. (honestly this is why i say that the harry potter magic system is completely borked)

I agreed with you 100% on the Pokemon thing. But you are 100% off base on the harry potter subject.

Lets start with, "the unblockable death curse". As demonstrated by the impostor moody, cannot just be used by anyone, at any time, for any reason. You have to both have a strong magical talent (Like summoning a corporeal patroneous) and have the intent to actually kill the person. Casting the spell while not intending to kill the person, will not kill them. You have to have malicious and evil intent, which most humans are actually incapable of possessing this intent. Further more, spells can be blocked, dodged, or miss. Have you have taken a gun and tried to hit a target? Not as easy as it looks. Distance, movement, wind, many things actually change or alter the direction of your shot. Given that magical spells do not travel as fast as bullets, its even possible to dodge them by jumping out of the way. This makes it very hard to actually just kill someone. You have to both move faster then them, have good aim, and want to actually kill them.

Voldemort is an example of a person who can use the killing curse without worry. Hes both strong enough to kill with it, and has no regard for human life. Thats why in multiple situations, he simply slaughters people who get in his way. On the other hand, dumbledore refuses to use the curse, and so he has never killed voldemort, because he would rather capture him then kill him. Others might want to kill him, but dumbledore is strictly against that. He is a smarter, and more skilled wizard then voldemort, and that is why he does not get killed. Their duel consisted multiple killing curses from Voldemort, and multiple blocks from Dumbledore. He dodged them, moved statues in the way, and even had his bird eat one. Each time voldemort tried, and failed to kill him. When he realized he was losing, he fled, and tried to use harry instead. Dumbledore never used the killing curse, but simply tried to bind him there, so he could be captures, and tortured for the rest of his life. (Voldemore never knew happiness, thus the dementors would destroy him so badly)

While yes. If you have the intent to kill someone, and can get to them without being seen, aim your curse, and utter it. They would die. Thats not exactly the easiest thing to do. Voldemort has protections around him to reveal people trying to hide. He has plenty of magical items that alert him of people attempting to harm him. You also cannot cast the curse silently, it must be uttered. This gives him enough time to either move something in the way, or to move out of the way. This makes it very hard to just fly around on a broom and magically hit him. Your aim is no where near good enough to hit someone while on a broom. He couldn't kill a hundred thousand people by himself. Probably not even a hundred wizards. But he doesn't need to. He rules by fear. He rules by subterfuge. He rules because hes not an idiot. If I grabbed a wand and started killing people left and right and said, make me your king. I would be stopped. He didn't take that approach. He spread fear like a disease. He killed whoever he wanted to, when they felt the most safest, and then he disappeared. He took over officials, and friends alike. He caused everyone to wonder if they would be his next target. It is the easiest way to control a mass group of people. Rather then grouping up and attempting to kill the target, they choose to hide, and try and not die the next day. Thus he would be able to rule them, as long as he kept up the belief that he was all powerful, and he had followers to carry out his will.

And again, they did practice the imperious curse. They practiced it on themselves for a long time before they attempted any kind of attack.It can be resisted, as harry potter was able to resist it multiple times. It just takes people who are not stupid. It also becomes more and more difficult to control more then one person at a time, and while you have one person controlled, you are incapable of defending yourself while everyone else is killing you.

Defs Pokemon, my mom never let me have pets so I could just go out on my own into the world and catch as many as I want to. 10 year olds can roam the countryside without fear, that sounds a hell of a lot safer than Harry Potter world.

What stops the pokemon from killing you? What if you just start out today, and meet a charizard, and he just catches you on fire and laughs while you die? Its not a dream world.

#55 Protoman

Protoman
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

What stops the pokemon from killing you? What if you just start out today, and meet a charizard, and he just catches you on fire and laughs while you die? Its not a dream world.

Emergency Fire extinguisher and intensive care unit nearby -probably in Pokecenter-

Hell if Team rocket can keep dropping from the sky w/o dying and being shocked by pikachu there has got to be some mystical way of healing injuries.
Maybe like a Hyper Potion or revive for the humans in this new land? :p

Or Burn Heal...those'd come in handy for this situation :D

#56 Faerhii

Faerhii
  • 182 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

As demonstrated a lot by the show.. IDK about the manga..

A LOT of training and experience is required to level a pokemon, and it usually only happens with the assistance of a trainer. You're not just going to walk out your front door and find a Charizard sitting there waiting to barbecue you. Most of the trainers in pokemon, minus the "really good ones" Ash meets have a few 2nd gen evolution at best..

You start little and train big. Building the bonds and strengths with the pokemon would be bad ass.. If the ease I find training dogs/birds/cats here in real life would reflect my ability to train pokemon if they were real.. Shit, I'd have me an armada.

As for Harry Potter, I'd rather not. With my luck I'd be a Muggle. And even if I wasn't I'd be a mudblood or something. AND.. All those spells? Too much shit to remember.

Pokemon all the way!

Edited by Faerhii, 05 December 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#57 Reddevil

Reddevil
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

probably pokemon, i loved the series to death when I was young and still consider watching all the episodes

#58 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

Further to iargue's post above, and in response to frostz's original post about HP, they didn't just kill Voldemort because it probably wouldn't have worked due to the Horcruxes, not sure what would have happened but he would have still existed in some form while his soul was still hanging out in other objects.

Anyway, I'd choose Harry Potter over Pokemon in a heartbeat, so long as I'm a witch and not a Muggle!

Edited by Ashlee, 06 December 2011 - 02:57 AM.

#59 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

Further to iargue's post above, and in response to frostz's original post about HP, they didn't just kill Voldemort because it probably wouldn't have worked due to the Horcruxes, not sure what would have happened but he would have still existed in some form while his soul was still hanging out in other objects.

Anyway, I'd choose Harry Potter over Pokemon in a heartbeat, so long as I'm a witch and not a Muggle!

"Not sure how it would have worked" considering that it happened in the first book... I'm pretty sure how it would work :p

#60 foundation

foundation
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:33 AM

I would definitely choose Pokemon:

1) Able to stay forever young

2) No one can Avada Kedavra my ass.

2) Able to catch a Ditto and have it to take "any" form, imagine the possibilities....*daydream droll*

#61 WharfRat

WharfRat
  • 11157 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

I would definitely say pokemon.

If Harry Potter were real, I'd still be a muggle trapped with a bunch of wizards! At least with pokemon anyone can be a slave driving "pet-owner." :p

#62 contour

contour
  • 201 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

Definately Pokemon since we'll never age. My life would be going around gyms and training my pokemon, I'd make an income of beating people, and lose all of it, when the opponent has a troll pokemon, like Haunter w/ Confuse Ray every turn...

#63 fimend

fimend
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Harry Potter, but only if I wasn't a muggle. Being a Pokemon trainer doesn't really seem like a stable career choice to me. It would be nice to have Pokemon as pets, but I'd probably end up working as the cashier at the Pokemart and not as world famous Pokemaster. So yeah. Harry Potter.

#64 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2011 - 04:33 PM

Harry Potter, but only if I wasn't a muggle. Being a Pokemon trainer doesn't really seem like a stable career choice to me. It would be nice to have Pokemon as pets, but I'd probably end up working as the cashier at the Pokemart and not as world famous Pokemaster. So yeah. Harry Potter.

Considering how much those kids make for winning a match, I'd think that's a stable enough career.

Just don't get mugged.

#65 Derriere

Derriere
  • The Black Guy

• 686 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 05:09 PM

* Magic isn't usable in the Muggles World which is actually the "real world."
It is, but if you're law-abiding to their rules it's forbidden.

* Pokemon shows and games are completely different only fit to their "mechanics".
Like Frostz said even the manga's different and depict more realistic situations. It's actually pretty
cruel to be letting these pokemon fight against each other - imagine a pitbull fight.

* Harry Potter as "live" potraits/ghosts. So they're forever stuck in potraits and wandering halls?
And also genetics come into play - not everyone will become a wizard/witch.

* Harry Potter has much bad guys as good guys. Criminal rates will increase and more unsolved murders.
And come on, they can easily destroy the fucking world or even just take it over. Go back in time? Summon
demons / ethereal beings, transmogrification? TOO MANY POSSIBILITIES.

Pokemon's more realistic. And obviously not everyone is striving to be a goddamn pokemon trainer.
And for those who play neopets: Pokemon is like neopets except neopets is the SUPER pussy version.

I'm leaning more into Pokemon.

#66 Ashlee

Ashlee
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

"Not sure how it would have worked" considering that it happened in the first book... I'm pretty sure how it would work :p

Posted Image Oh jeez I should know that, I'm a tad bit obsessed with Harry Potter! I guess I was focussing more on the whole "it wouldn't have killed him anyway" angle!

#67 davidh93

davidh93
  • 20 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:48 PM

pokemon without a doubt, magic has its doom and gloom moments, whereas pokemon everyone is always happy

#68 Kraftwerk

Kraftwerk
  • 187 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:35 PM

Well in a "magical world" you wouldn't be sure you're a wizard, so I choose Pokémon.

I've always wanted a cute little Jolteon to deliver my mail. xD

#69 Cyo

Cyo
  • Pauly D

• 2561 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:36 AM

Harry Potter fo sho my nigger. fukin wizzads n shit man id tap that emma watson ass so fast man fukin gryfendor up in here my nigga

#70 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Pokemon - I would be the very best, like no-one ever was.

#71 Kenderson

Kenderson
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:49 PM

Harry Potter definitely! I think things would be lovely like that <3 Magic has more benefits in my opinion then battling pokemon. Although, I do love pokemon

#72 Bx2

Bx2
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:01 PM

Honestly, I can not believe this is actually a topic because it is something that I have thought of many times before. I would definitely prefer a world in which Pokemon were. I just feel that it would be an amazing feeling to be able to train something from the time it was young to the point at where it becomes something powerful and respected. I also love the idea of having them as companions. While a Harry Potter world would also be something really interesting and unique; in my mind, it just doesnt compare to Pokemon.

#73 Feral

Feral
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

Now I'll admit I might be a little bias on this since I've never read and/or watched Harry Potter (I wasn't allowed growing up, and I didn't have interest once I was older), but I'd say Pokemon.

I would have a Zoroark and do mischievous things. :x

#74 AnAngryAsian

AnAngryAsian
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:11 PM

Pokemon and Harry Potter aren't even on the same level. Pokemon all the way. Who doesn't want a pet Articuno?

#75 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

Pokemon and Harry Potter aren't even on the same level. Pokemon all the way. Who doesn't want a pet Articuno?

The flare and excitement would wear down after a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users