Help Me With Laptop Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

I am trying to repair a friends laptop and have failed thus far. There was an error with a DLL file in System 32 and the person was wanting a clean install anyway so I backed up all of the persons files and tried to resinstall Windows using the disc that came with the computer. The computer constantly crashes, and was essentially unable to use without crashing and going to the blue screen, and I assume the error is responsible for me being unable to install the OS now. I boot from the disc every time, and have tried repair options with no luck, and the basic installation with no luck. Before the OS can finish installing, the computer will just go to blue screen. Does this sound like a hardware failure to anyone, or does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can complete the install? I want to get this computer fixed for the woman, as long as it is something I can fix it and it isn't hardware related. Any help or advice is definitely appreciated. If this is too vague or I need to answer any questions to help you out, let me know, I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!

#2 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Do you have an Ultimate Boot CD?

#3 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:18 PM

Um, I don't think so. I just have the Windows Vista Installation Disc that came with the computer, which is a Dell. I know I left that out up there.

#4 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

You're probably gonna have to take it to a computer repair shop unless you can get your hands on an Ultimate Boot Cd online.

#5 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Do you think it could be hardware? The woman could at least log-in to Windows before she gave me the computer, although it would crash after about 5-10 minutes. And now, I can't even log into Windows because no OS is showing up on the computer. I am guessing that is because last night when I was trying a clean install, it got to 100% and crashed shortly after and hadn't quite completed the installation so the OS had more or less already been replaced. I don't know its frustrating I don't want to return her computer in worse shape than when I got it but it seems like that is inevitable.

#6 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

sounds more like a hardware issue to me. I get a blue screen whenever i load my CPU up with too many processes at once sometimes.

#7 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

sounds more like a hardware issue to me. I get a blue screen whenever i load my CPU up with too many processes at once sometimes.

It seems like most people are saying that, and I don't wanna open up someone else's laptop. I just don't feel like this woman is going to believe me if I tell her its hardware, and will probably say "oh you messed it up so you are just saying it's a hardware problem."

Only reason I even got it anyway is because I fixed my neighbors PC and her daughters PC, and her friends computer had messed up and my neighbor remarked that I fixed hers and her daughters which ultimately volunteered me to fix this woman's computer. I guess from now on I will decline because this has been frustrating.

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:37 PM

Okay well I did some research and called a few people and an error with a DLL file in System 32 generally means that there is a really nasty virus and the best thing to do is to reinstall Windows, since this isn't working it could be the either the disk drive has gone bad or that the Reboot disk you have is too scratched to work properly.

#9 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:46 PM

It may be the drive being bad, or any other hardware component, but the disc is definitely fine and working so I don't know. Appreciate the help though, I figured something malicious was the reason the error was popping up. Maybe I can get it straightened out I am going to drive a few different things in a bit.

#10 iargue

iargue
  • 10048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:33 PM

First. Get a blank dvd

Download this http://thepiratebay....n_v_2_0-Proteus

Burn it

Boot into it.

Select the option about Hiren Applications

Select Restored Apps

Select PC-CHECK

And then go through Motherboard, CPU, Hard Drive and test all of them. If they all pass, restart again and select the apps option again and then select testing tools and select Memtest86+

If it passes, then your pretty much 90% guaranteed that your hard ware is working. There are select points of failure that cant be tested on hardware, but you should assume its fine until you prove otherwise.

If all of the hardware tests pass... Post the Blue Screen error code (0x00000000xxx) so I can tell you what it means so you can fix it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users