• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:53 AM

Ever since man first walked upright, we have pondered what it is to be bigger than ourselves. Nowhere is this more evident than our exploration of space. And seeing as none of us have been there, I figured we could talk a little about the only easily identifiable symbols in the night sky.

So - what is your favorite constellation?

My favorites are Orion and Scorpius. Orion because I can always find him (and always will, he's located at the celestial equator) and Scorpius because I like the mythology surrounding him.

I can identify a number of constellations, but for some reason Orion is always the first one I look to. In today's day and age, I guess I can't readily relate to the hunter, actually having to kill something with his own hands for sustenance. He always makes me think deeply.

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:02 AM

Scorpius. Because Scorpios are the shiz.

#3 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:09 AM

My favourite constellations:
  • Virgo, because that's my star sign.
  • Orion, because it's easy to see and looks pretty cool.
  • Hydra, because they've always fascinated me as a creature of myth.

#4 Dolly

Dolly
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 01:48 AM

Leo Pride ♥

#5 grapes

grapes
  • Waser Lave Fan

• 403 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:52 AM

Scorpius. cause I'm a scorpio. ^_^

#6 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

Cassiopeia. The wubbleyou of the skies.

Also Orion. He's a bit of a badass.

#7 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 04:36 AM

Scorpius. Because Scorpios are the shiz.

Scorpius. cause I'm a scorpio. ^_^

Yay lots of Scorpios in here! :D /threeway high five

#8 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:42 AM

I can only recognize Orion's belt (because of Men in Black), the Pleiades, and the Big Dipper.
Everytime I think of constellations, I think of that episode of South Park where they go to the Planetarium and the man speaking says, "And these two stars are the Crusades" I tried to find a video of it, but I couldn't. That shit cracked me up!

I am also a Scorpio, which is entirely to blame for my bad temper, constant bitchiness, unquenchable thirst for control and power, and jealous nature. I have no fucking recollection if I've ever spotted it in the sky.  

#9 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:56 AM

Aries because it has a cool symbol that resembles that of the female reproductive system. :thumbsup:

#10 James

James
  • ♔ King James ♔

• 1539 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

I can never really see and constellations in the sky since I live in a big city, haha.

But the ones I usually se are the Big Dipper and the Little Dipper. I remember when I was a kid and they were out on the 4th of July. Was pretty cool back then. :)

#11 Melchoire

Melchoire
  • 5284 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

Orion's belt and the big dipper...they're the only ones I can recognize.

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 05:14 PM

My favorites are Orion (cause I can see it instantly, every time), the dippers, and Pleiades. I'm a Pisces, but I don't even bother trying to look for it when I'm outside. It just looks like a bunch of random stars to me.

#13 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:01 PM

This isn't an astrology thread... just sayin.

That said, by accident of birth, I'm a scorpio.

Talk about stars! Not star signs!

#14 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:35 PM

This really reminds me of my childhood. I was so into astronomy as a kid that I would read every book I could get my hands on, and memorize the facts in them. I even went so far as to teach my friends about astronomy during recess time. :lol: I was an odd kid -- while everyone else was playing soccer or whatever, I was learning about astronomy...

I used to live on an acreage, and so at night, it would literally be pitch dark outside. I would go stargazing quite a bit with my parents, and especially my dad. For my 8th birthday, he bought me a telescope. It was the most exciting thing ever to me, and probably one of my best memories of him was when we would take it outside.

As far as constellations go: During the winter time, Orion would always be unmistakably visible in the south. Every time I look up and see it, it makes me smile. Cassiopeia is another easy one to find, as well as the Little and Big Dippers. I always try and visualize the larger constellation Ursa Major, which includes the Big Dipper, but I often fail. :p

This isn't an astrology thread... just sayin.

That said, by accident of birth, I'm a scorpio.

Talk about stars! Not star signs!

One of my biggest pet peeves is people that confuse astrology and astronomy, lol. When I told people that I wanted to study astronomy as a kid, they were like "uh, like a fortune teller?". :x3:

#15 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:51 PM

One of my biggest pet peeves is people that confuse astrology and astronomy, lol. When I told people that I wanted to study astronomy as a kid, they were like "uh, like a fortune teller?". :x3:

You're such a Scorpio.

#16 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Triangulum. Because I'm gay.

#17 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

This really reminds me of my childhood. I was so into astronomy as a kid that I would read every book I could get my hands on, and memorize the facts in them. I even went so far as to teach my friends about astronomy during recess time. :lol: I was an odd kid -- while everyone else was playing soccer or whatever, I was learning about astronomy...

I used to live on an acreage, and so at night, it would literally be pitch dark outside. I would go stargazing quite a bit with my parents, and especially my dad. For my 8th birthday, he bought me a telescope. It was the most exciting thing ever to me, and probably one of my best memories of him was when we would take it outside.

As far as constellations go: During the winter time, Orion would always be unmistakably visible in the south. Every time I look up and see it, it makes me smile. Cassiopeia is another easy one to find, as well as the Little and Big Dippers. I always try and visualize the larger constellation Ursa Major, which includes the Big Dipper, but I often fail. :p

One of my earliest memories is of taking an astronomy class for primary students at a college in my hometown. This was before I moved to Texas. The class was rather boring, and it was taught by a dunce, and we never used a telescope. But I loved it. I loved looking at pictures of almost pure nothingness and finding something worth studying. Space is so empty, yet this class was dedicated to it! That fact astonished me. 99% of the pictures we studied were black - and we studied them for the 1% that wasn't. Very surreal experience when compared to other sciences. In biology every cell, every organelle has purpose. In astronomy the vastness of space has no purpose, it's just there. Cold, dark, vacuum.

I'm still fascinated by it. I think that's part of the reason I'm a nightowl.

You're such a Scorpio.

We're the best. I thought this was established fact already?

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:20 AM

Triangulum. Because I'm gay.

Fun fact; Triangulum is one of the constellations on the Stargate.

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

I like the big constellations like Pegasus and Hydra. I imagine that all of those stars are millions of miles apart, and grouped together by us because they look close together from our vantage point. I love that. Our constellations from any other planet would look totally different.

#20 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

The Big Dipper, because it was the first constellation I was able to locate.
When I escape the 'burbs I still like to just stare at the night sky. It's pretty mindblowing to think about how many other people throughout history have done the same and made the same connections.

#21 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:15 PM

Fun fact; Triangulum is one of the constellations on the Stargate.

I didn't know Stargate had preferential treatment towards certain constellations. But thank you! I am now one more random fact smarter than I was yesterday.

#22 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

I didn't know Stargate had preferential treatment towards certain constellations. But thank you! I am now one more random fact smarter than I was yesterday.

Well, there's only so much room on an intragalactic portal device, y'know.

#23 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Well, there's only so much room on an intragalactic portal device, y'know.

Apparently space and time occupied the hard drive.

#24 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Apparently space and time occupied the hard drive.

You know he's talking about the actual Stargate, not the whole show right?

http://rdanderson.co...yphs/glyphs.htm

#25 Inver

Inver
  • 298 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

You know he's talking about the actual Stargate, not the whole show right?

http://rdanderson.co...yphs/glyphs.htm

I know I'm going to lose major nerd points here - but I have never watched, nor do I intend to watch, Stargate. But thanks for the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users