Photo

Failed Investments

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

With the new influx of retired fruit and books, have you guys ever invested in a bum product? Trusted money in something that didn't deliver? Remember, history is bound to repeat itself unless we learn from our past mistakes

#2 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

I inflated a bunch of the petpet lab map pieces to 1k then a ton appeared out of nowhere and I stopped.

#3 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I inflated a bunch of the petpet lab map pieces to 1k then a ton appeared out of nowhere and I stopped.

Last I checked they appear from Random Events...

#4 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:14 PM

Last I checked they appear from Random Events...

I know where they come from, they are also fairly ETS and I was able to get rid of 1000 in a week.

#5 zryii

zryii
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

I know where they come from, they are also fairly ETS and I was able to get rid of 1000 in a week.

I'm not sure you understand the idea of investments...

#6 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

I'm not sure you understand the idea of investments...

I don't think you know what investments are...

#7 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

In the old day of neopets people would chose HTS buyable items with a rarity above 95 (such as the jelly battledome items). They'd organize about 30 people in AIM chat rooms to buy as many as possible to make a profit. These dumb things were buyable for a reason and they were a serious pyramid scam and plenty of people got frozen for it (for scamming).

#8 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

That wasn't really anything even semi-clever.

An investment in this context is something you buy a lot of and wait for the value of those items to go higher.

For example:

I bought five Chokato (TCG)'s for 600k each, after waiting just six or seven years I sold them for 3mil each.

Edited by Yung, 27 March 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#9 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

That wasn't really anything even semi-clever.

An investment in this context is something you buy a lot of and wait for the value of those items to go higher.

For example:

I bought five Chokato (TCG)'s for 600k each, after waiting just six or seven years I sold them for 3mil each.

Investment by inflation. Gotta love it!

#10 zryii

zryii
  • 26 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Because investing in petpet lab maps makes little to no sense, whereas investing in the recently retired fruit makes perfect sense.

#11 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:13 PM

Because investing in petpet lab maps makes little to no sense, whereas investing in the recently retired fruit makes perfect sense.

Well not really since retired fruit aren't really useful outside of galleries and there aren't a ton of retired fruit galleries.

Generally though yeah, stuff like r101/r180 stamps and some r101/r180 books. Stuff like that is good to invest in.

#12 TamerVirus

TamerVirus
  • 246 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

But do you guys have any specific examples?

#13 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

In the old day of neopets people would chose HTS buyable items with a rarity above 95 (such as the jelly battledome items). They'd organize about 30 people in AIM chat rooms to buy as many as possible to make a profit. These dumb things were buyable for a reason and they were a serious pyramid scam and plenty of people got frozen for it (for scamming).

Nope.

#14 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

:sorry:

Does an entire thread work?

Speaking of r101 Stamps

Edited by Yung, 27 March 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#15 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:17 PM

Ring of the Lost

:sorry:

Does an entire thread work?

http://www.neocodex....of-r101-stamps/

He's asking for failed investments, not successful investments. D'oh!

#16 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I invested a shitload into draik egg's right before they turned into worthless chicken eggs.

and right now I'm investing a lot into all kinds of crazy random things like avatar items and perishable hidden tower items and so forth...

anyways though.... the other day i got this really really evil idea. I would never do it and i don't even know if it would work. People do it all the time from what I've read... I think its called artificially inflating an item... But using the trading post to do it... It sort of came to mind because it happened to me.

#17 Yung

Yung
  • Codexian

• 3361 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

Ring of the Lost

Well that is a plot prize weapon that was pretty useful before the Hanso Charisma Charm, but since it's release it has dropped from being worth 10mil+ to 4mil.

Ring of the Lost

...your example is a failed investment really.

#18 Graz

Graz
  • 231 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:19 PM

I invested in a ETS item that brought more traffic to my shop and made over 200k profit off it in a week I don't see how that isn't an investment. I don't see a problem investing in an item that is easy to move and has an purpose.

I do see a problem in investing in a useless fruit which the only thing that it has going for it is that it was retired and people are buying it up to get a profit when there is no market for it.

#19 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:22 PM

Well that is a plot prize weapon that was pretty useful before the Hanso Charisma Charm, but since it's release it has dropped from being worth 10mil+ to 4mil.

...your example is a failed investment really.

Posted Image

#20 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

I also had begun to invest in "The Wheels of Fate" books because i thought since they are books (perishable) and were only released during the "Save the Wheels" event that the value would rise on these to outrages prices some day. Well at 4.5M a piece they are a little bit of an expensive investment... Not only that, finding people that will sell you them is even more of a pain. I collected 4 of them before my account was frozen this week during the recent icings we had.

But later someone who collects books told me that investing in "the wheels of fate" was a bad investment... But i don't really know.

#21 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:27 PM

I also had begun to invest in "The Wheels of Fate" books because i thought since they are books (perishable) and were only released during the "Save the Wheels" event that the value would rise on these to outrages prices some day. Well at 4.5M a piece they are a little bit of an expensive investment... Not only that, finding people that will sell you them is even more of a pain. I collected 4 of them before my account was frozen this week during the recent icings we had.

But later someone who collects books told me that investing in "the wheels of fate" was a bad investment... But i don't really know.

High-end books can be very HTS, and I think those book were/are inflated quite far beyond their actual value.

#22 Icey Defeat

Icey Defeat
  • 8298 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

High-end books can be very HTS, and I think those book were/are inflated quite far beyond their actual value.

HTS books go up and down in value way too much to be fun. I've seen people spend 5 million on a book then 2 months later they are going for 500k.

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

People do it all the time from what I've read... I think its called artificially inflating an item... But using the trading post to do it... It sort of came to mind because it happened to me.

I do fairly regularly on a different (smaller) site. There's some small stuff that gets too low for my liking, because then the main shop is full of it. So I buy all the cheapo ones from the user shops til the only ones left are 10-100x the amount I pay. Then I just wait. People start to buy them cause they wonder why they aren't low anymore and raise prices on resell... which means I can sell mine at a way better price than I paid.

The trick is to make sure you have enough points, np or whatevs. If you can't buy either the majority or all of what you're out to get, then you can't cause inflation.

When it works, it is definitely not a failed investment though.

#24 Nonexistent

Nonexistent
  • 681 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

krawk morphing potions

because tnt decided to be stupid

Edited by Nonexistent, 27 March 2012 - 07:53 PM.

#25 Leaf

Leaf
  • 372 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:59 PM

I do fairly regularly on a different (smaller) site. There's some small stuff that gets too low for my liking, because then the main shop is full of it. So I buy all the cheapo ones from the user shops til the only ones left are 10-100x the amount I pay. Then I just wait. People start to buy them cause they wonder why they aren't low anymore and raise prices on resell... which means I can sell mine at a way better price than I paid.

The trick is to make sure you have enough points, np or whatevs. If you can't buy either the majority or all of what you're out to get, then you can't cause inflation.

When it works, it is definitely not a failed investment though.

That's pretty cool... one thing that i saw someone do a couple days ago was that there was this certain item that was priced on our database at 68K
But there were hardly any on the trading post. Someone got a bunch of the items and had one on each one of his shells... then he put 3 of them on the trading post for 800k (one on each account)
and on his 4th account he would put it in the TP for 400K.... and he was "quick selling" the same item for 400K when it was only worth around 70K... but since people where seeing
that 3 other poeple on the trading post were asking for 800K they thought they were getting a super good deal.

Edited by Leaf, 27 March 2012 - 08:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users